Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Manny wants to fight Lomachenko, who doesn't seem to want to fight him back. I thought this match was kind of absurd but after thinking about it I'm warming up to the idea.

How substantial is the size difference between these two really? Lomachenko could probably gain enough weight to meet Manny at 140 lb where I could see a fairly competitive match.

Can Loma hang with even an old, past-it Pacquiao? I think it'd be hard for him. Loma has peerless offense but he's still hittable and wouldn't be the first tricky evasive opponent Manny has caught. I'm not confident Loma's power (which has always been cumulative) carries over to higher weights, whereas Manny's power is unquestioned.

It's probably not going to happen but if it did I might have to stick with Manny to win, even despite Loma's skills. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Manny wants to fight Lomachenko, who doesn't seem to want to fight him back. I thought this match was kind of absurd but after thinking about it I'm warming up to the idea.

How substantial is the size difference between these two really? Lomachenko could probably gain enough weight to meet Manny at 140 lb where I could see a fairly competitive match.

Can Loma hang with even an old, past-it Pacquiao? I think it'd be hard for him. Loma has peerless offense but he's still hittable and wouldn't be the first tricky evasive opponent Manny has caught. I'm not confident Loma's power (which has always been cumulative) carries over to higher weights, whereas Manny's power is unquestioned.

It's probably not going to happen but if it did I might have to stick with Manny to win, even despite Loma's skills. What do you guys think?

I would watch it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think Loma would gently caress his old rear end up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

I think Loma would gently caress his old rear end up

he'd win, but even old rear end manny is still game as gently caress, would not quit on his stool, and would provide 12 rounds of action that loma would have to constantly do cool poo poo in response to.

in lieu of a fight with like, mikey, i'd rate it above basically anything else at this time in terms of pure watchability

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This would be after Manny fights Horn again right? So assuming he looks good there (and wins) Manny could make more of a case for this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Now I wanna see JMM vs Lomachenko, prime vs prime :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

This would be after Manny fights Horn again right? So assuming he looks good there (and wins) Manny could make more of a case for this?

horn is about to get embarrassed by bud crawford. no point manny rematching him.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

He's incredibly not hittable. That's like... His Thing (tm).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeesh
https://twitter.com/PBOTinfo/status/953674509239820290

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

drat lol

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Spence vs Peterson tomorrow, should be a good test for where Spence is at. Lamont Peterson has a lot of experience and he's one of the hardest B-tier fighters to get a clear win against, so if Spence can put him away early it'll be a pretty big statement.

I'll try to get the new thread up beforehand, drat work demands keep getting in the way :argh:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice chalk outline showing where Ali's legacy died.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Loma has about 1 and half inches of height on Manny, but has a shorter reach by about the same amount. Manny might be a welterweight, but that's like his 7th division. Loma's power is pretty negligible and he'll lack the size and physicality to have the same type of success that Horn and Vargas had at points (both lost obv, but they were able to rough up an older pacman duing the fight) Manny is still allegedly able to make 140, so that would be the ideal weight for it.

It's a good fight, but I'm not sure how much Manny has in the tank and he's a lot less focused as a senator than he was as a congressman. Dropping weight might be a lot harder now too, so he could easily be ending his career the way ODLH did.

In theory though, it seems like a good fight for capturing interest and money. Manny is a star, even if he is a faded one, and Loma is potentially the best boxer of this generation. A HOF name under his belt and the recognition that comes with it could do him nicely. They're saying it's a bad fight idea because they'd have to move up so much weight but that's a dumbass excuse give they just brought Rigo up two divisions.

E: after the hard no from Loma, Pacquiao now says he wants to fight the winner of Horn-Crawford

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 19, 2018

Wacktastical
Feb 8, 2004
Honestly what's the worst that could happen when a fighter whose reputation proceeds them, moves up to fight a significantly bigger fighter who is a bad style match-up for them?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Ninth Layer posted:

Spence vs Peterson tomorrow, should be a good test for where Spence is at. Lamont Peterson has a lot of experience and he's one of the hardest B-tier fighters to get a clear win against, so if Spence can put him away early it'll be a pretty big statement.

I'll try to get the new thread up beforehand, drat work demands keep getting in the way :argh:

I know it's probably going to be a walkover for Errol, but I've got shameful amounts of love for Peterson so I hope he at least makes it interesting.

It would've been so amazing if Lamont could've gotten the decision against Danny. That would've done wonders for his career (but it was his and his team's own fault that they gave away the first half of the fight strategically).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wacktastical posted:

Honestly what's the worst that could happen when a fighter whose reputation proceeds them, moves up to fight a significantly bigger fighter who is a bad style match-up for them?

Bit of a stretch to call Pacquiao significantly bigger I think

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

manny walks around at 138

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
manny crouches down to smoke cigarettes and scratch tickets

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Easter - Fortuna is turning out to be quite a brawl

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I'd be willing to wager a not insignifcant amount of money that if Lomachenko fights Pacquiao that Lomachenko stops Manny by the 9th round.

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Easter usually has such a reach advantage on his opponents that I'm-pleasantly from the entertainment perspective-surprised that he tends to be in pretty nip and tuck fights with lots of infighting and exchanges

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 21, 2018

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Love when the undercard fights are as great as this, even without the point loss.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

yeah, that last round (6) was pretty great

E: too bad Fortuna didnt make weight, so the title isnt on the line

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Is this the same Easter who is chasing a fight against Mikey Garcia?

Please son

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Good fight. i think Fortuna won by a round or two even with the deduction

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah that was a pretty decent fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lol at jeff horn being up there with the top welterweights

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

thehappyprince posted:

lol at jeff horn being up there with the top welterweights

Gotta fill time somehow. Spence is looking very very good right out of the gates here. Hopefully he can keep this up long enough to go the distance for a decision.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

those body shots are brutal

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Care Bear Stairs posted:

those body shots are brutal

Spence has to keep them up before he loses a point.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
This is bananas

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

This is bananas

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

great round

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Amazing knockdown early on. This looks like a KO decision within 7 rounds. Looking forward to Spence's future going forward.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

yeah great night of boxing

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

spence isn't really as hard to hit as they like to make out. spence vs thurman will own

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

thehappyprince posted:

spence isn't really as hard to hit as they like to make out. spence vs thurman will own

If Peterson wasn't so worn out there have been several good places for big shots to shut down Spence, but this is a totally one sided match at this point. Hope he doesn't get sloppy when he gets to fight Thurman.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

Keiff Furman just played a mournful flute solo because he knows Spence would take his heart and soul

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

drat, a little disappointed we didn't get to see more of that.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

drat, a little disappointed we didn't get to see more of that.

Would have love to see a knockout, but good call from Peterson's corner, that was totally one sided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

wow, did not expect him to quit