Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DrNutt posted:

Did they? Thank Christ it was going to take forever to rebound from my initially terrible k/d

yep. i remember they had singles and duos FPP stays for a while after 1.0 release but when i checked last night they were gone. wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Barnsy posted:

Ran into my first blatant hacker in FPP. Dude shot me from 300m through a wall and through some shipping containers full auto. Was rather pissy about it since I was fully geared up with an AWM.

Through stuff? That shouldn't be possible. Can you post video of the death cam or replay? I'd like to see it.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Through stuff? That shouldn't be possible. Can you post video of the death cam or replay? I'd like to see it.

There’s been many videos posted which show hackers shooting people hundreds of meters away with shotguns through all types of obstacles and terrain. It’s pretty loving shameful that this game is so bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

John DiFool posted:

I don’t understand why they won’t region lock the Chinese. It just takes one hacker to ruin 99 people’s game and they’re predominantly from China according to PU himself.

- Chinese people aren't the only ones that hack so they need to work on curbing cheating in general (which they have been doing)
- they've announced that they are, in fact, working on ping restricting servers so that people can't play if they have super high ping compared to the region (i.e. they're playing on the US from the other side of the world)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flatluigi posted:

- Chinese people aren't the only ones that hack so they need to work on curbing cheating in general (which they have been doing)
- they've announced that they are, in fact, working on ping restricting servers so that people can't play if they have super high ping compared to the region (i.e. they're playing on the US from the other side of the world)

Chinese are also the vast majority of the player base so they can't afford to pull an institutionalised "China Number Two".

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Fine, region lock NA and keep everyone else out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

John DiFool posted:

Fine, region lock NA and keep everyone else out.

I hate to break it to you but there are in fact hackers in the US

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Chinese are also the vast majority of the player base so they can't afford to pull an institutionalised "China Number Two".

They can and they have a ready made excuse in great firewall of china.
Like seriously WOW and EVE and a shitheap of MMOs all have specific chinese regions.

DrNutt posted:

Did they? Thank Christ it was going to take forever to rebound from my initially terrible k/d

Singles/Duos FPP stats aren't exactly gone, there just aren't visible leaderboards for it at the moment. If you look at your career on the pubg client those stats will still show up.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

3rd person view, but the only thing this guy didn't shoot through was time itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On2ZiAe9tXQ

About 960 meters.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Why do you think its not possible? It's been possible for a while, and everytime it seemingly is stopped by anti-cheat, it eventually pops up again.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I hate to break it to you but there are in fact hackers in the US

No poo poo but at a lower rate per capita.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 6, 2020

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the blatant hackers aren't even the bad ones, it's when people post about anti-recoil or ESP hacks that are depressing to me, because unlike the really obvious ones who knows how many people are fuckin suspect doing that poo poo especially in a game with 100 other people per match

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tony Phillips posted:

3rd person view, but the only thing this guy didn't shoot through was time itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On2ZiAe9tXQ

About 960 meters.

hahahahaha this is fantastic, I mean the fact that they weren't instantly banned by anticheat is a shame but the sheer audacity of cheating like that is hilarious.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Game is fun but bad playing with goons is fun but bad I have fun but am bad (vonneguts in game don't sign ur posts etc)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well yeah under normal circumstances it isn't. There are hacks that allow it; happened to me three times so far. That's why it's such blatant cheating when it happens. The person doing it will have an absurd number of kills every game, have a ridiculous win rate, and be seen doing it repeatedly if you watch the replays. They'll just kind of stop for a moment and then somebody will suddenly die.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wish I had saved the game where my kill cam was a squad of guys in a moving vehicle just poking guns out of the car, firing them at the sky and making the killlfeed scroll

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Two games in a row wrecked by those through the wall long range bullshit.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Get dicked on by cheaters or play FPP... dicked on by cheaters... or FPP.

Man, tough choice :rolleyes:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

John DiFool posted:

I don’t understand why they won’t region lock the Chinese. It just takes one hacker to ruin 99 people’s game and they’re predominantly from China according to PU himself.

because pu reckons its xenophobic

flatluigi posted:

nah pu said 99% of hackers are chinese

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Got to #2 in duos...
Despite me crashing and coming back 1.5 minutes later. (I think it was my internet crashing.)
I really think if i hadn't had that crash, we may have had a better chance.
I crashed while trying to get on top of our UAZ to get on top of a roof to get to a crate.

Game good.
Crashing bad.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

because pu reckons its xenophobic

PU is a loving moron then because the only reason people are calling for it is because they cheat so much.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Lot of people in China

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The easiest way to do it is set a ping limit and just say it’s because you’re trying to grow your e-sport or whatever. That kind of absolves them of any possible xenophobia or whatever.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VulgarandStupid posted:

The easiest way to do it is set a ping limit and just say it’s because you’re trying to grow your e-sport or whatever. That kind of absolves them of any possible xenophobia or whatever.

nah he reckons that its super awesome that people from different countries can play together and any argument to why it isnt is xenophobic

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nah he reckons that its super awesome that people from different countries can play together and any argument to why it isnt is xenophobic

In theory it's super awesome. But the realities of language barriers and long distances loving with latencies makes it kind of poo poo a lot of the time.

The hacking is one thing. It'll be a problem no matter which country you're playing with. It's a huge shooter game there's going to be hackers even if they ever do really crack down on them and make it less widespread. The latency stuff can be much more of a pain, imo. Those people with super high ping are kind of getting an advantage without even needing to cheat. If there's a way to fix that without locking off regions, then cool. But also if you want all regions to play together give me some loving quick chat options, so you can at least kind of communicate better if you're queuing up for squads with pubbies.

Every chinese player I've played with has been super helpful but I have no idea wtf they're saying.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The last conversation you had in this thread included you saying this so I don't really know if you're the best person to insist nobody's being xenophobic in their arguments

China is barely a first world country, it's an aboslute authoritarian shithole. Look up what they do to the Uyghurs. Backwards and overly punitive laws are the norm

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if you were a lot closer and he had a clear line of sight on you that still would've been hilariously blatant cheating.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why do you think its not possible? It's been possible for a while, and everytime it seemingly is stopped by anti-cheat, it eventually pops up again.

I didn't say I didn't think it's possible - I said it shouldn't be. I mean, clearly it is, I just hadn't seen the "through walls" hack videos before.
As a programmer, it seems like the engine is really to blame. Walls should be solid to the server, and if the client says "here, my guy shot a bullet in this direction", the server should be doing the calculation of where the bullet ends up. The only way this "hack" could work is if the server trusts the client to calculate bullet trajectories, which it shouldn't do and I've not heard of a game that does that in many many years.

I can see how preventing hacks that help people to aim straight for someone's head at 900m involves some complicated programming. That's hack prevention, checking the integrity of the game binaries, preventing outside software from loving with the inputs, making it harder to read of the game's state from memory (to prevent wallhax), noticing impossible movement (like pixel perfect 180 degree spins in one tick) etc. Making sure the server is authoritative with regard to hit calculations should be pretty trivial, by comparison.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 20, 2018

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Groovelord Neato posted:

even if you were a lot closer and he had a clear line of sight on you that still would've been hilariously blatant cheating.

These stats seem legit: https://pubg.op.gg/user/huya-siwni?server=as

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I didn't say I didn't think it's possible - I said it shouldn't be. I mean, clearly it is, I just hadn't seen the "through walls" hack videos before.
As a programmer, it seems like the engine is really to blame. Walls should be solid to the server, and if the client says "here, my guy shot a bullet in this direction", the server should be doing the calculation of where the bullet ends up. The only way this "hack" could work is if the server trusts the client to calculate bullet trajectories, which it shouldn't do and I've not heard of a game that does that in many many years.

I can see how preventing hacks that help people to aim straight for someone's head at 900m involves some complicated programming. That's hack prevention, checking the integrity of the game binaries, preventing outside software from loving with the inputs, preventing modification and reading of the game's assets from memory (to prevent wallhax) etc. Making sure the server is authoritative with regard to hit calculations should be pretty trivial, by comparison.

Your train of thought seems kind of backwards in terms of who’s letting someone do something. Also most games do not calculate bullet trajectories at all so things like a line of sight check which can be trivial doesn’t make sense when you have hit scan.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there probably should be something that automatically bans you if you have a certain number of games with impossible kda and/or damage for even the best player having their best games over that stretch.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

there probably should be something that automatically bans you if you have a certain number of games with impossible kda and/or damage for even the best player having their best games over that stretch.

This would only stop blatant hackers (which are already easy to detect through traditional means) and do nothing against people who use more subtle cheats like wallhacks or ESP, or only toggle in the top 10.

Those are the real problem that makes you question the integrity of the game. Blatant hackers are annoying but they just highlight the fact that there's probably other, non obvious hackers around.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

flatluigi posted:

The last conversation you had in this thread included you saying this so I don't really know if you're the best person to insist nobody's being xenophobic in their arguments

yeah its a fact that china is an incredibly poo poo place to live, china's government is horrible and thats why they are sending cheat makers to jail for a very long time. That is seperate to region locking.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 20, 2018

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

Your train of thought seems kind of backwards in terms of who’s letting someone do something. Also most games do not calculate bullet trajectories at all so things like a line of sight check which can be trivial doesn’t make sense when you have hit scan.

Hit scan literally is LOS check for fucks sake.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

John DiFool posted:

Hit scan literally is LOS check for fucks sake.

No.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hitscan is a simple line of sight check with no projectile simulation (no travel time, no falloff, nothing like that). Guns in PUBG aren't hitscan.

You're mixing up your definitions somewhere.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im the one shooting him
https://youtu.be/pRwqugVs4O4

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Had the best kind of hacker kill me last night. We all got downed by a silent S12K. Death cam is a dude driving around with no pants on. Spawns himself guns. Gets out and shoots the air six times and six people die. I'll get a clip after work.

The blatant/shameless cheaters will always amuse me. People who tryhard while using aimbots and wallhacks are human garbage tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I do believe I've started seeing what is easily the most annoying thing in the game so far. Multiple games I've had somebody on my team drop somewhere deep in the mountains where nobody would ever, ever go unless the last circle is there then spam really annoying sounds at their team the whole game. Not only do you end up down a body because your teammate is literally not even playing but now you can't hear anything important or talk to your teammates.

I really want to like this game but holy gently caress is the community making it completely impossible.