Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think I did something dumb like, Fuze Hib and Rook.

If I had my time again I would have gone something like, Rook Jager and Ash Thermite/Fuze

that way you get a taste of all the different play-styles out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lol this game is great :ninja:

algebra testes posted:

that way you get a taste of all the different play-styles out of the box.

this is exactly why i picked fuze as my first operator. instead of breaching you get a shield

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

So is there any way to know which heights are fatal and which aren't? Sprinting out of a window on the slope of Kanal is A-ok but as soon as I drop from the skylight first floor on bartlett with the hostage the ground is lava and I die. :thunk: Does it depends on the map or armor of your operator?

Supposedly it's based on how long you are in the air while falling. Sometimes it just feels random.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there are a lot of places on maps that you can vault/jump onto without taking damage that you wouldn't expect until you try them

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Ellipson posted:

Literally none of them; I blasted through the tutorials to dial in my settings and played as the base character on the co-op mission at the end.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Get yourself a 2/2 and a 1/3 for each side, just for flexibility. I'd probably leave the 3/1's until you're more comfortable. I'd probably go...

Attackers
Thatcher (Because killing gadgets will mean you're always welcome in a team)
Thermite (Because having a basic hard breach option is always handy.)
Honorary mention for IQ, because her gadget is poo poo, but her guns are insane.

Defenders
Rook (Because it's the easiest gadget in the game to use. At the start of the game, press it. You're done, go have fun.)
Smoke (because he's loving cheap AND fun.)

Do not buy Castle. We all live the dream, but mostly you'll just gently caress yourself or others over instead.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers
the fact this thread has such a nice community makes me so happy. i honestly think playing with new people is a treasure, ive had to guide people through their first few hours 3 times now and i always love it.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
I ended up picking up operators along how the video mp5 posted suggested, except I grabbed Kapkan because I liked his guns from doing the scenarios.

Anything super special to watch out for on attachments? Been playing around with a bunch of different ones, it seems like Vertical Grip is always good, Muzzle Break/Compensator is based on the gun, and if laser is like previous games it's going to give you away more than it helps. I've used all the scopes so far and I'm gravitating towards Holo as an all-around with ACOG being map dependent.

EDIT: Oh hey there's an attachment thingy in the second post.

One more thing: I felt like I made more noise with the "heavier" operators. If I want to lurk on defense or take weird routes, does that make the "light" operators better? Or was that all in my head? If it's just speed, I don't see that making a big difference.

Only really derpy thing I did was dying to Smoke's gas grenade; I didn't know you could stop the damage by healing with F and let myself die, whoops

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

More armor = more loud steppy

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ballistic shields also make you louder and slower, I think, so Monty is louder and slightly slower than Echo, even though their stats are the same.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there are signature sounds for almost everything in the game, even kapkan's tripmines emit a soft humming sound

also here is a simple and serious list for new players coming from superior PvP games:

Caveira - Subtlety Rogue
Lesion - Assasination Rogue
Fuze - Outlaw Rogue

Ying - Arcane Mage
Ash - Frost Mage
Capitão - Fire Mage

Doc - Holy Priest
Rook - Discipline Priest
Vigil - Shadowpriest

Smoke - Affliction Warlock
Thermite - Destruction Warlock
Mira - Demonology Warlock

Zofia - Fury Warrior
Montagne - Prot Warrior
Buck - Arms Warrior

Sledge - Retribution Paladin

Bandit - Elemental Shaman
Blitz - Enhancement Shaman

Glaz - Marksmanship Hunter
Frost - Beast Mastery Hunter
Jackal - Survival Hunter

Pulse - Demon Hunter

Ela - Feral Druid
Tachanka - Moonkin

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ellipson posted:

If it's just speed, I don't see that making a big difference.

Speed makes a huge difference. 3 speed operators can close the distance on you if you're not prepared, even if you only duck behind cover to reload for one second. They can also peek and generally entry frag much better. And run the length of the entire map to rotate behind you while you check cams or something

They're not quite glass cannons but they're really fun.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Feel they are the contrary to glass canon as they often have tiny frames which coupled with the fast movement make them take less bullet than the fat 3 armor.
It kinda make them more survivable in many situations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Ongoing change log wish list:

ELA:
- Removed from the game.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010

Ellipson posted:

I ended up picking up operators along how the video mp5 posted suggested, except I grabbed Kapkan because I liked his guns from doing the scenarios.

Anything super special to watch out for on attachments? Been playing around with a bunch of different ones, it seems like Vertical Grip is always good, Muzzle Break/Compensator is based on the gun, and if laser is like previous games it's going to give you away more than it helps. I've used all the scopes so far and I'm gravitating towards Holo as an all-around with ACOG being map dependent.

EDIT: Oh hey there's an attachment thingy in the second post.

One more thing: I felt like I made more noise with the "heavier" operators. If I want to lurk on defense or take weird routes, does that make the "light" operators better? Or was that all in my head? If it's just speed, I don't see that making a big difference.

Only really derpy thing I did was dying to Smoke's gas grenade; I didn't know you could stop the damage by healing with F and let myself die, whoops

When it comes to sights the only "rule" is really: ACOG if you can use it on the weapon and can handle it (for example, I never use ACOG on Bucks AR as it makes most of my shot hit the ceiling and not the enemy) and the other are up to personal preference really, none of them are really better then the other.

And Holding F wont stop you from dying from Smoke's gas grenade. It only slows down the bleed out time. So if you where wounded inside of it there was nothing you could have done.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Krogort posted:

Feel they are the contrary to glass canon as they often have tiny frames which coupled with the fast movement make them take less bullet than the fat 3 armor.
It kinda make them more survivable in many situations.
All operators have the same dude-shaped hitbox now. Stuff like Blitz's headset or Mira's backpack aren't part of the actual hitbox.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Watching someone detonate a nitro seconds before a sledge would have opened the roof hatch on bartlett is one of the purest joys. I dont even care I was on the sledges team. He went flyying.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jerUtb9w2Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1o7qNzlLBQ

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Watching someone detonate a nitro seconds before a sledge would have opened the roof hatch on bartlett is one of the purest joys. I dont even care I was on the sledges team. He went flyying.

I'm a big fan of hearing someone put a breaching charge on a ceiling hatch and then shotgunning it out from under them and watching them die confused as they drop right into a room full of defenders, personally.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Like wise, hot breaching a hatch with multiple team mates never gets old and is hilarious no matter how pear shaped things get after.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I rather like when the last person on your team is injured and vaults through a window, right into a kapkan trap which immediately blows his dead body back out of the window

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm getting really good at baiting people with Blackbeard now. It's so satisfying to know that people are going to catch a quick glimpse of you and have no absolutely no say in the matter as the animal part of their brain urges them to engage with you.

Tip for new people: if you see a guy with a shield around his gun disappear back into a room after looking you straight in the eyes, don't follow him. He's going to be contorting himself around some random object like a cartoon character hiding behind a cactus and you are probably going to lose that fight.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Ever since I read somewhere in this thread that you should put the supressor on the SR-25 Ive gotten so many bullshit kills with Blackbeard, its great.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://streamable.com/corir

:laugh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I know that some of you want to be super helpful all the time and all but if your teammate is downed, make sure to triple check that there are no enemies around before reviving them, instead of blindly rushing to get the revive just to get both of you killed.
Additionally, if you're the one downed, don't loving yell at me to revive your rear end when I'm checking the corners and instead crawl your rear end into some cover, especially if you're nowhere near bleeding out.

(Not that there's been any goons that did that. I'm just saying that because pubbies do that all the drat time.)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm a big fan of downing an enemy and holding the angle until a buddy comes to help them up and I kill him, too. I know it's a war crime but that's the jäger life.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Deltasquid posted:

I'm a big fan of downing an enemy and holding the angle until a buddy comes to help them up and I kill him, too. I know it's a war crime but that's the jäger life.

If it's one thing Germans know, it's war crimes

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Caffeine IV posted:

All operators have the same dude-shaped hitbox now. Stuff like Blitz's headset or Mira's backpack aren't part of the actual hitbox.

Pretty sure Ash still has a matchstick-man for hitbox.

You can shoot her right in her stupid face and miss.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm a big fan of hearing someone put a breaching charge on a ceiling hatch and then shotgunning it out from under them and watching them die confused as they drop right into a room full of defenders, personally.

Everytime I'm on a map where you can do this, and I watch the hatch, a Sledge comes running up and hits it instead. :smith:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Had some good games on xbox earlier today. Its way better to drop with goons than solo (even if i am reaaal bad)

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
My skins keep getting reset so my guys look hella lame. It wouldn't be an issue if the menus were responsive but they aren't so it's a pain in the rear end.

Also, anybody here have to deal with wireless repeaters? I bought a cheap Netgear N300 to push the wireless out to my console but I get rubberbanding and warping every now and then so I was wondering what the best solution for gaming would be.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Tumble posted:

My skins keep getting reset so my guys look hella lame. It wouldn't be an issue if the menus were responsive but they aren't so it's a pain in the rear end.

Also, anybody here have to deal with wireless repeaters? I bought a cheap Netgear N300 to push the wireless out to my console but I get rubberbanding and warping every now and then so I was wondering what the best solution for gaming would be.

Hard wired will always be the best. You will run into issues regardless with wireless, in my experience.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Tumble posted:

I use a set of powerline adapters for my PS4. They work so much better than any wireless solution I have ever tried, though they are still slower than if I ran a cable across the house. I bought a set of these a couple of years ago but there may be better ones out there.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

A lot of people don't position repeaters correctly and end up relaying a bad signal so make sure you're on top of that and putting it where the signal is strongest.

It's not night and day playing on wifi versus hardwired, but it's pretty drat close

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Abisteen posted:

I use a set of powerline adapters for my PS4. They work so much better than any wireless solution I have ever tried, though they are still slower than if I ran a cable across the house. I bought a set of these a couple of years ago but there may be better ones out there.

I looked into those but don't they only work if it's on the same circuit or fuse?

Penpal posted:

A lot of people don't position repeaters correctly and end up relaying a bad signal so make sure you're on top of that and putting it where the signal is strongest.

It's not night and day playing on wifi versus hardwired, but it's pretty drat close

The signal is only going through one interior wood/drywall wall before it gets boosted and even then the repeater is only 15-20 feet from the router, and another 25 feet or so to the xbox. The router itself was just barely reaching the console, it just needed a boost to be reliable.

I may just have to bite the bullet and run a cable from the router, I just don't want to have to drill through the floor or have a visible cable :\

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2018

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One ear on my headset is broken and it made me realise how important sound is in this game.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Tumble posted:

I looked into those but don't they only work if it's on the same circuit or fuse?

The signal is only going through one interior wood/drywall before it gets boosted and even then the repeater is only 15-20 feet from the router, and another 25 feet or so to the xbox. The router itself was just barely reaching the console, it just needed a boost to be reliable.

I may just have to bite the bullet and run a cable from the router, I just don't want to have to drill through the floor or have a visible cable :\

If they're on completely separate circuits (like if your home has multiple breaker panels) then they won't work. However, they will generally work fine if they're on the same circuit but a different breaker, assuming no breakers are tripped. My living room is absolutely on a different breaker than the room where my modem and router are, but it still works fine because my house only has one breaker panel.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I tried using power adapter ethernet but the breaker is downstairs and the house I'm in has some old wiring. Just buy them and try it, if you get bad performance return it. Just try SpeedTest and some games.

And yeah sound is super important. Make sure your Dialogue volume is at 100... for some reason it controls the volume of footsteps. I had it on 70 because I turned down some things so I could hear disc better and turning it to 100% made me feel like Daredevil manifesting his powers for the first time because of the information overload.

Like even I was surprised, I heard boots clomping around and was startled and made five different expressions trying to work out where it came from

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Penpal posted:

I tried using power adapter ethernet but the breaker is downstairs and the house I'm in has some old wiring. Just buy them and try it, if you get bad performance return it. Just try SpeedTest and some games.

And yeah sound is super important. Make sure your Dialogue volume is at 100... for some reason it controls the volume of footsteps. I had it on 70 because I turned down some things so I could hear disc better and turning it to 100% made me feel like Daredevil manifesting his powers for the first time because of the information overload.

Like even I was surprised, I heard boots clomping around and was startled and made five different expressions trying to work out where it came from

What do you recommend for the power adapter ethernet? I don't really want to spend more than $50 or so.

Also..... no way does dialogue turn up footsteps. Are you for serious?

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the footsteps are technically generated by the character "speaking" i could see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man I hate dropshotters so much.