Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CIG is the company that has three mocap studios so they can expedite the process of animating people getting into and out of ships into which they do not fit.

e; I have provided an image that summarizes this process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I've been following lawyer French for a few months. As far as I can tell, he is practicing. I can't speak to his credentials, education, or how he appears out of his depth outside of strict IP law, but he's definitely represented recent cases.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I feel like the thread title should at least be What did the Chairman know, and when did he know it.

I mean comon.

XK posted:

I've been following lawyer French for a few months. As far as I can tell, he is practicing. I can't speak to his credentials, education, or anything like that, but he's definitely represented recent cases.

Dude seems ok. Don't really know why everyone is losing their poo poo over him.

French please post here.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 20, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dusty Lens posted:

I feel like the thread title should at least be What did the Chairman know, and when did he know it.

I mean comon.

There's a reasonable argument that The Chairman doesn't know things.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

I mean comon.

What did the Warlord know would be more accurate, since it was a reflection of the "Did Derek call it and if so when and in what capacity" chat that was going on yestderday

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dusty Lens posted:

Dude seems ok. Don't really know why everyone is losing their poo poo over him.

French please post here.

The problem with French was well summarized in an earlier post:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

He is a backer. He shows the same faith based reasoning that the stereotypical "true believers" do except he is either dishonest or delusional enough to try and pretend he is some blind justice weighing the scales of this lawsuit while having an extremely clear bias.

"I'm impartial on this subject. Speaking purely neutrally. I'm speaking as an experienced lawyer who is not taking sides to give a fair look at this subject and be impartial

.......so obviously every possible outcome in any possible conflict is the best case scenario for Cloud Imperium Games."

Backers eat this poo poo up because it's an "authority" reinforcing their views. That "authority" asserts itself as neutral and unbiased so therefore when it takes their side that means they are really, totally and truly in the right.

It would be funny if it were something like bitcoin where a lawyer spins some kind of regulation as being a good thing for bitcoin because that's how his bias flows but this is about thousands of mentally ill people being scammed. Now that courts are involved and may indirectly save these people from themselves one of the idiots being scammed has taken the lead on reassuring everyone that they will still allowed to be scammed.

Bonus points for anyone that tries to sue this guy after bankruptcy "Because he said everything was fine! He is a lawyer! He said everything was fine!"

Basically, he's compromised, and as such is unable to provide impartial advice. When he claims he is doing so, invariably in CIG's favour, he's enabling more mentally ill to be scammed.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm not wrong, but if I am wrong, then I'm still not wrong because reality has failed me.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm not wrong, but if I am wrong, then I'm still not wrong because reality has failed me.

Reality is overrated.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

he's enabling more mentally ill to be scammed.

Good and fair point.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I love that I have this as a looking glass to see how hosed in the head these people can be and that they are nowhere near my daily interactions with people. If these people were in charge of anything sharper than a mop bucket, then they would be dangerous.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jason Sextro posted:

The whole thing is a Greek chorus away from being an actual Greek tragedy (or comedy, I suppose)

Tragicomedy?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is the unroll thread of my take on the latest Crytek response in the CryTek v CIG lawsuit.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/954724633344913408.html

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

This is the unroll thread of my take on the latest Crytek response in the CryTek v CIG lawsuit.

I'm calling it that you wrote: "They're hosed!"

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If it may please the Court, I submit that inter alia Leonard French owns two doggos who are both good doggos, and ask for leniency to be shown to him ipso facto quid pro quo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo :piss: piss!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

I'm curious about your sourcing on this part:

quote:

AFAIK, while has has a website, French no longer practices law.

He represented Imagos in court within the last month.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/w0p9fbA.gifv

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

This; also now after all the Imagos/Alex Mauer stuff is finished, he was in talks with Imagos for working for them as general counsel, so maybe he got the job and put his private practice on hold :shrug:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lack of Gravitas posted:

This; also now after all the Imagos/Alex Mauer stuff is finished, he was in talks with Imagos for working for them as general counsel, so maybe he got the job and put his private practice on hold :shrug:

That would still be practicing, though. As long as you have bar certification, and have, or have had, clients that you've represented within a reasonable past, you should be considered as practicing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Back when he did the first video, I had read that he no longer practiced, and had opted to do his videos etc. Then someone said it had something to do with not having liability insurance or something.

If he is in-house counsel somewhere, then it stands to reason that he wouldn't be practicing.

----------------

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lol this guy is literally: :smuggo:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 20, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

That would still be practicing, though. As long as you have bar certification, and have, or have had, clients that you've represented within a reasonable past, you should be considered as practicing.

Being in-house counsel isn't considering practicing in the general meaning of the term.

Anyway, I just asked him.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/954806204810788865

----------------

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Back when he did the first video, I had read that he no longer practiced, and had opted to do his videos etc. Then someone said it had something to do with not having liability insurance or something.

If he is in-house counsel somewhere, then it stands to reason that he wouldn't be practicing.

I know he was entertaining the possibility of being in-house for Imagos. I guess the definition of practicing hinges on whether he's only working for Imagos, and taking outside cases or not? Even if he is exclusive (EXCLUSIVE) to Imagos, isn't that still practicing?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

XK posted:

I know he was entertaining the possibility of being in-house for Imagos. I guess the definition of practicing hinges on whether he's only working for Imagos, and taking outside cases or not? Even if he is exclusive (EXCLUSIVE) to Imagos, isn't that still practicing?

If he is exclusively working for Imagos, does that mean he can sue them if they hire any other lawyers? :smuggo:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

peter gabriel posted:

Lol this guy is literally: :smuggo:

:eyepop:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Being in-house counsel isn't considering practicing in the general meaning of the term.

The real question here is when is he going to stop practising and start doing? I mean, c'mon son

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Hmm. I'm not sure if being in-house counsel really discounts somebody from being practicing, as long as they are doing legal things. Microsoft has in-house attorneys, are they not practicing law?

Wiki-ing it up here:

quote:

In its most general sense, the practice of law involves giving legal advice to clients, drafting legal documents for clients, and representing clients in legal negotiations and court proceedings such as lawsuits, and is applied to the professional services of a lawyer or attorney at law, barrister, solicitor, or civil law notary.

I think it would generally be accepted that as long as he is performing duties relevant to a lawyer, and is bar certified, he is practicing.

XK fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 20, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:catstare:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think what happened here is Mr French looked at Star Citizen and thought 'these guys buy any old poo poo' so set up a Patreon and away he went

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Oh poo poo, now it's the 'Is French exclusive?' thread.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

Seriously moma do you think CIG will be lucky enough to beat Crytek down to a settlement figure of only half the 177 million dollars they claim to have raised?

I can't really comment on this particular legal matter.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Top voted post on r/sc:
CR's signature and handwriting for the Crytek GLA is absolutely exquisite

On a scale of 1-10. How cultlike is this MoMA?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

swag: actually made by CIG, sent out to china/taiwan

the one and only thing I can find CIG actually does, in house, is the merch for star citizen. everything else is handled by outside companies

jesus christ

But they don’t really make their swag either. They source that stuff mostly in Asia and Sandi talked before about her longstanding personal connection with “Jackie” in China who handles the op. Safe bet is she or her family have a stake in that operation with ties that pre-date CIG’s incorporation. Why else center distribution there when you have nearly zero customers living in your country of distribution and hundreds of thousands on the other side of the planet?

It just smacks of more double-dipping and the backers will never know anyway... They’re too busy coming up with cooler merch themselves and cutting CIG out of that money loop with private sales because most would prefer not to wear giant tacky art tarps and kitschy star kitten crap and the actress will never know anyway.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm calling it that you wrote: "They're hosed!"

:lol:

Scruffpuff posted:

Basically, he's compromised, and as such is unable to provide impartial advice. When he claims he is doing so, invariably in CIG's favour, he's enabling more mentally ill to be scammed.

French fits the bill of the classic Star Citizen sideshow nontroversy that still somehow turns into a swirling vortex of illusory consequence. Like the Jake INN deal from some time back. Zealots and haters rush with swords and pitchforks to surround the inconsequential subject and a raging battle breaks out, so much emotion and drama and the stakes couldn’t possibly be lower but victory MUST be secured anyway because reasons...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 20, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Virtual Captain posted:

Top voted post on r/sc:
CR's signature and handwriting for the Crytek GLA is absolutely exquisite

On a scale of 1-10. How cultlike is this MoMA?

Mrs. Snyder's 2nd grade class.

P.S. I want to drive big trucks when I grow up.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can't really comment on this particular legal matter.

can I quote the poo poo out of this?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Speaking unlawfully MoMA, have you ever had a sex dream that felt like a Crytek ship promo?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I actually do want the current list of shell corps. Who has them? Throw it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what would prevent you from commenting on this particular legal matter?

ManofManyAliases posted:

For Legal reasons, I have to state that I am NOT Toast.