Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/954796250918019072

write your own jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I guess thinking about Edmonton's fetish for former alumni is even more limiting than Montreal's for French speakers, because at least the selection pool is larger, though obviously self limited.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Paul Coffey's only coaching experience is two years as at the OJHL, and that was four years ago.

This is such a perfect loving Oilers move good god they're so loving bad.

E: https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/954807922017685507

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 20, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/sgorten/status/954808314579292161

Let 'em live.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Jesus Christ is that Laraque?

edit: It is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Coff owns. Maybe he can coach the Oilers PP to not suck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who replaced torts' brain with that of a reasonable human? Or does he have a terminal illness that triggered a personality change to make him so nice.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

xzzy posted:

Who replaced torts' brain with that of a reasonable human? Or does he have a terminal illness that triggered a personality change to make him so nice.

New life philosophy: could be worse, could be coaching the Canucks.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

I think it's not surprising that a NHL coach has a dumb blindspot for mediocre grinders....they all seem to do it. It's when they get so far up their own rear end that they'll play the guy big minutes despite poor results and justify it with "well but he works hard" then it's really a problem.

I think bumping those grinder/energy types up in the lineup occasionally can work short term depending on the situation but it never works long term yet coaches always want to hang on just a bit too long...

Leo Komarov and Roman Polak are both playing 20 minutes a night, so

Also :lol: the Bruins fans going after Fisher literally the same ones getting raw about Rene Rancourt like two days ago

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Obviously the beating he got at the World Cup scrambled his brain.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

xzzy posted:

John Davidson, basically telling him "there will be no fuckery here" and backing it up by only extending him one year at a time?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

As of this post, the Islanders have both the most goals for and the most goals against in the league.

Views:
:shepicide:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Rotten Cookies posted:

As of this post, the Islanders have both the most goals for and the most goals against in the league.

Views:

All the goals all the time!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Rotten Cookies posted:

Views:

who is Barzal playing with?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Views:

Fun!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

JawKnee posted:

who is Barzal playing with?

Right now it’s been Eberle and Beauvillier

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

kill me now posted:

Right now it’s been Eberle and Beauvillier

right on, just wondering who was doing the work in his rookie season

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes got their first regulation win in 2018

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Ryan Pulock had 5 points (1g, 4a) tonight vs Chicago

Dude can have some adventures in his own zone but he's got really big upside. He's finally getting to play consistently with all these injuries.

Seriously Garth, please get this team one defensive upgrade and roll Boychuk's corpse around somehow because if they can just not be the worst defense in the league they have some potential

JawKnee posted:

right on, just wondering who was doing the work in his rookie season

It was Andrew Ladd before he got hurt, Beauvillier since

Beauvillier has been killing it since he got bumped up to that line. He didn't do much of anything on line 3 until then, but with a dude like Barzal to give him a ton of space he's really thriving. Although it makes me wonder if I could look good next to Barzal since everyone he plays with takes off immediately.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Iodised QQ posted:

Ryan Pulock had 5 points (1g, 4a) tonight vs Chicago

Dude can have some adventures in his own zone but he's got really big upside. He's finally getting to play consistently with all these injuries.

Seriously Garth, please get this team one defensive upgrade and roll Boychuk's corpse around somehow because if they can just not be the worst defense in the league they have some potential

It was Andrew Ladd before he got hurt, Beauvillier since

Beauvillier has been killing it since he got bumped up to that line. He didn't do much of anything on line 3 until then, but with a dude like Barzal to give him a ton of space he's really thriving. Although it makes me wonder if I could look good next to Barzal since everyone he plays with takes off immediately.

I mean Ladd was kind of blah with them. Anytime the line was cranking it was just Ebbs and Barzal showing off their chemistry together.

I like Ladd but he’s going to wind up on the 3rd line with Nelson and “insert player here” when he gets back.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

kill me now posted:

I mean Ladd was kind of blah with them. Anytime the line was cranking it was just Ebbs and Barzal showing off their chemistry together.

I like Ladd but he’s going to wind up on the 3rd line with Nelson and “insert player here” when he gets back.

Ladd definitely wasn't the glue of that line by any means but he did help forechecking a bit since it's not a strength of a guy like Eberle. But yeah, it's obvious that Barzal and Eberle have great chemistry and any third will do well with them as long as they can play hockey at any level

I hope Beau gets to stay with them when Ladd is back too. Ladd's certainly being paid like a guy who can carry his own line, give him a shot with Nelson and see if they can do anything.

Bonus if Josh Ho Sang is allowed to play in the NHL again by then, because he's a guy who actually can carry a middle 6 line if given the opportunity

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues are so bad. Looking forward to losing to the #1 seed in the west

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The bruins are gonna pass Tampa. Bet.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I don't know what the hell happened in Colorado but...I enjoy watching them play again :gbsmith:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Aces High posted:

I don't know what the hell happened in Colorado but...I enjoy watching them play again :gbsmith:

:gbsmith::respek::flashfap:

It's been a Hell of a ride and I won't even be mad if we lost every game from here on out after last year.

It's weird to go from possibly scratching into the playoffs to possibly scratching out of the wild card.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aces High posted:

I mean, I get y'all are on a tear but don't get too cocky about beating the rangers, who stink.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The bruins are gonna pass Tampa. Bet.

Probably, but then they will experience their own slump during the playoffs.

And this is your hope and your prayers, if you are of pure heart and good spirit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LumpyGumby posted:

:gbsmith::respek::flashfap:

It's been a Hell of a ride and I won't even be mad if we lost every game from here on out after last year.

It's weird to go from possibly scratching into the playoffs to possibly scratching out of the wild card.

-Me in 2013. There's a very "oh, this is nice" sensation you get as the season plays out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the arena is done with this miserable season.

https://streamable.com/378sq

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m glad good Marner is back

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/954918750633021440

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Nice effort by Ceci here, his extension this summer is gonna rule

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Team USA's GM died, he was only 53 :(

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/01/21/team-usa-general-manager-jim-johannson-dies-at-age-53/

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i'm not sure where this quote is from but my god..

https://twitter.com/HockeyDipshit/status/955129887748050944

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Nice effort by Ceci here, his extension this summer is gonna rule

I’ll have you know that I know a Sens fan that thinks Ceci’s really good!

Haven’t seen him in a while now that I think of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

isn't Sbisa doing ok in Vegas?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While the Rangers are still holding on to a wildcard spot with some games in hand, their terrible play in front of an outstanding Henrik Lundqvist made me think: If the Rangers were sellers at the deadline, what could these players realistically bring in return? They'll have 6.5m in cap space at the deadline - more than enough to retain half the salary on three players. Here are the impending UFAs:

Michael Grabner - He has scored 20 goals at even strength and is an excellent penalty killer. His role on the Rangers - taking advantage of sheltered third-line starts, is exactly where he'd be on a contender.
Potential return: A first-round pick expected to be towards the end of the round

Rick Nash - Having a timely resurgence, he isn't quite a top six forward, but he's a reliable penalty killer and can still match up against top competition, making him a valuable depth player. Could add a bit to a second PP unit.
Potential return: A second-round pick, if he stays hot.

David Desharnais - A depth center with 21 points who wins over 55% of faceoffs, but also doesn't look very good. He doesn't kill penalties and isn't going to add to a second power play unit, so he'd strictly be limited to a fourth line role on a better team, probably 8-10m per night. Also a "veteran presence" to some old-tyme hockey GMs who probably aren't making the playoffs.
Potential return: A late round pick or a C-level prospect

Paul Carey - A surprisingly good depth player who has filled a fourth-line role well. Probably ends up being a 13th forward on a good team, but he brings some experience and consistency.
Potential return: A similar younger player, on the bubble between being a career AHLer and a serviceable fourth-liner.

Nick Holden - Plays big minutes, big body presence, big red flags on his fancy stats. I'm not sure if other teams might want him to shore up their defensive depth, but his hot/cold play could make him a useful #6/7.
Potential return: The value of Nick Holden had previously been set as a 4th round pick but I'm skeptical about that.

Ondrej Pavelec - A goalie with a lot of NHL experience who occasionally looks like an NHL goalie. If traded, he'll be a third-string goalie as injury insurance.
Potential return: A third-string goalie and a conditional late round pick that is only sent if he plays NHL games.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

iospace posted:

isn't Sbisa doing ok in Vegas?

Seems he's only played 24 games this season, and a quick look at the table o' fancies suggests his quality of play isn't actually better, but he's enjoying a spike in shooting percentage and Fleury/Subban being good as hell.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Rick Nash - Having a timely resurgence, he isn't quite a top six forward, but he's a reliable penalty killer and can still match up against top competition, making him a valuable depth player. Could add a bit to a second PP unit.
Potential return: A second-round pick, if he stays hot.

Porty seems to think Nash is eventually going to wind up back in Columbus but that it wouldn't be until maybe two contracts from now.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps looking like dogshit. 0-1-2 in three games at home, with the loss against loving Niemi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I would kill to have Rick Nash in Colorado for a second round pick. We have the cap space plus a surplus of picks, and we need the depth.

• Locked thread