Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oasx posted:

His powers could be rock control, the show just hasn't told us that.

Does press material released before the season started count as the show telling us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Rocksicles posted:

So we all onbaord with Deke being Fitz & Gemma's grandson yeah? Good.

Seems possible, certainly someone on the team's descendant.

Also, this is a timeloop thing where they keep cycling through it until they succeed, yeah?

Something Virgil said about the Vrellnexians(sp?) in the first episode had me leaning that way, but this episode mentioned it again.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
He brought rocks, specifically, with him when he turned himself in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Oasx posted:

I think he has used his powers twice, the first time he was in a room full of rocks and the story was setup so that killing Grill with a rock would be extra satisfying, and the second time was right after if i remember correctly.
His powers could be rock control, the show just hasn't told us that.

It's rock control.

He has some cool rockface in the comics, too.

Now that's what I call a Bender!

howe_sam posted:

Does press material released before the season started count as the show telling us?

Sure. Also having previously watched any superhero show, ever.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

his name is flint, you guys, flint like a rock

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

First question, how does Robin have so many pencils to draw with for 70 years? Second, is it just me or did that sound like Iron Fist music when Yo-yo was splinter-bombing the Roaches?

Ambivalent posted:

his name is flint, you guys, flint like a rock

So what you're saying is he's a boy scout.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Look I know zero about the comics and even I know how this plays out:

Daisy: I must summon all my power to defeat Graviton
Graviton: Oh no we have caused a terrible chain reaction
Flint: I will hold the world together with my powers somehow it's ok
Everyone: :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

So we all onbaord with Deke being Mack & Yoyo's grandson yeah? Good.

ftfy

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

I feel like such a loving idiot right now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I feel like such a loving idiot right now.

:same:

Rhyno posted:

My heart.

You are, by far one of my favorite posters here in TV nerd land.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

This has to be a fake-out, it can't be that simple with AoS writers :v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Flint seems like he is key, since they didn't seem to know about him in the flashback?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Flint seems like he is key, since they didn't seem to know about him in the flashback?

How would they? His parents weren't born at that point.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cant cook creole bream posted:

How would they? His parents weren't born at that point.

But those characters came back from the Lighthouse future. They met, presumably, everyone in the Lighthouse while they were there.

Unless I somehow missed something.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I got the impression that in the flashback they knew about Flint, but also knew that he's not going to be born until decades later. I think Fitz said something about it when he got frustrated with Robin (again in the flashback).
No idea why they don't bring Flint with them when they go back in the first place, though. That's something we're going to see in a next episode probably.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
That episode was a bit of a confusing mess (maybe intentionally, as that’s how Robin would’ve seen things?), but I trust the writers of this show to sort things out as we learn more, and it’ll probably make more sense in retrospect.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought it was pretty clear that the "flashback" was something that was taking place after the team managed to return to the past, not an alternate past. Everything they talked about was consistent with what they might say if they already knew the future.

If I were to guess, I would say that someone we saw in the flashback-forward will sacrifice themselves early to prove that the future isn't written, so that the flashforward doesn't come to pass (but I don't want any of the cast to die because they're all great so who knows).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

But those characters came back from the Lighthouse future. They met, presumably, everyone in the Lighthouse while they were there.

Unless I somehow missed something.

My impression was that these flashbacks where the original version of the story, before Robin and Enoch got involved.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

My impression was that these flashbacks where the original version of the story, before Robin and Enoch got involved.

That's been my interpretation too. Robin's so weird and distant because she's seeing multiple potential and current timelines at once. Or at least two that we see.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aside from the fact that Robin was there in the flashbacks, Fitz had a line about time travel that seemed to me to imply that they'd tried to change events and failed. Plus the guy who tried to kill Daisy seemed to assume that those events would happen after they went back to their time.

Regardless it's all supposed to be extremely vague and confusing because it's all from the perspective of a woman who experiences her entire life at once and struggles to make any sense of it in time to be useful.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

Fitz had a line about time travel that seemed to me to imply that they'd tried to change events and failed.

He said “For all we know” they’d tried and failed thousands of times to change the future. It’s just Fitz continuing his “You can’t change the future” attitude from season 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

He said “For all we know” they’d tried and failed thousands of times to change the future. It’s just Fitz continuing his “You can’t change the future” attitude from season 3.

But right before that, he says (in response to May saying that he doesn't know they can't change time) "Of course I know, because we've tried!" and then after "It always ends the same." It's a bit ambiguous but it seems to me like he's talking about more knowledge than you imply.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Which IMO, implies that they've been to the future and recognise that they're in a timeloop -- otherwise they wouldn't still be trying to change the future, post disaster, they'd be concerned with saving what remains of the human race.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Phylodox posted:

"Because we've tried! For all I know, we've tried a thousand times! Always ends the same.
It's like a record that keeps on skipping, and we are repeating this loop again and again and again! And every time, Jemma dies.
They all die.
Robin can't change it.
Voss couldn't change it.
Even Daisy couldn't change it.
She saw the aftermath, and she still destroyed the world."

What he doesn't know is how many times they have tried. In the conversation you are quoting he admits they have already tried to change the past and failed and that they already saw the destroyed future and met Voss before going back to the past again.

A version of SHIELD that destroyed the earth spends their lives working to bring a version of SHIELD from the diner to their destroyed world, then that SHIELD goes back in time, destroys earth and becomes the version that spends their lives to pull another version of SHIELD from the diner. Fitz is pissed off because his attitude on time means that SHIELD will never do anything but destroy the world. No matter how many lifetimes he spends bringing an innocent version of SHIELD forward in time they will always go back in time and become them.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 21, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm more on the side of the "past" scenes being an alternate version since I feel like it wouldn't make sense for everyone to get angry and confused at Robin for talking about stuff they experienced. Also it wouldn't make sense for Fitz and Simmons to go "The time machine won't work!" if they already saw it in the future and knew it would be made.

Season 5, Episode 8: The Last Day

https://i.imgur.com/1v1qAUz.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/OJHfqy4.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/4WpZwjT.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/gvi6ydg.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/1OnUtPu.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/Fgsqht1.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/kY6gRHp.gifv

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Basically it's Dragonball Z rules of time travel and not Back to the Future.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Slashrat posted:

Nah, it'll be Graviton somehow and they needed to fetch rockomancer Flint from the future so he could make the Earth stay together during the big fight between Graviton and Daisy

Not only that but rockomancer Flint's gonna be the one to piece the broken monolith together

howe_sam posted:

Oh, this is very Fringe.

This was on my mind too, Robin seems like AoS's equivalent of the White Tulip episode

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Time travel is always a mess and never makes any sense. Either go farther back or try something radically different next loop. You have a time machine, you can change the past, nothing can ever be a problem for you.

The only hope with any time travel story is a good pay off at the end and the show has been delivering on that front so whatever, just enjoy the ride.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bill & Ted has the best time travel mechanic

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

As long as we can all agree that a photograph slowly fading is crazy bullshit.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Apparently a VFX supervisor confirmed that the alternative timeline is what happens without sending them forward via the Monolith.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm guessing Flint just helps them get back to the past by doing some rock-fuckery with that monolith shard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ApeHawk posted:

I'm guessing Flint just helps them get back to the past by doing some rock-fuckery with that monolith shard.

This is a pretty fair guess, he'll probably sense the shards and pull them together.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sunday at work posted:

Time travel is always a mess and never makes any sense. Either go farther back or try something radically different next loop. You have a time machine, you can change the past, nothing can ever be a problem for you.

The only hope with any time travel story is a good pay off at the end and the show has been delivering on that front so whatever, just enjoy the ride.

I'd laugh my rear end off if everyone turned and said "Hey, want to go back and kill Ward at his job interview?"

But actually I think AoS doesn't have the problem you think it does here, Sunday, for one reason: The monolith needs to be activated at both sides to work, at the same time. Which means they can only return to a point in which someone activates the monolith in the past, either Robin or the US Military or who knows. But my point being I don't think they get to pick a return date like they have a time machine. It's a point to point trip.

ApeHawk posted:

It could be either because right now I absolutely think that Mac and Yo-Yo are going to adopt Flint. It makes sense with all of their arcs and Flint being an orphan with no attachment to the scraps of the future.

Also I still think Deek's dad is going to be Hunter or at least someone important, dead as he is, because of how much pain they've taken to not say his name.

I'll be fine with both of those. For a kid character Flint's been pretty solid so far. Even his stupid "Go off and fight the Kree" moment wasn't bad and he actually just jumped in and helped enough times he gets a pass.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 21, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I still think Deek's dad is going to be Hunter or at least someone important, dead as he is, because of how much pain they've taken to not say his name.

Hunter is too old to be Deek's dad, I think.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Zebulon posted:

Apparently a VFX supervisor confirmed that the alternative timeline is what happens without sending them forward via the Monolith.

This makes no loving sense then because it's following BttF time mechanics, and now I'm going to draw a Doc Brown graph to explain why

Basically, Fitz should have awoken in the future created after the team was taken from the diner, not the future that was created by them being present in 2018.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

In the alternate "flashback" timeline (the original one?), nobody was abducted, fitz never went into cryosleep, and the earth exploded. There's going to be some event in this timeline (presumably something to do with the time machine Fitz is designing) that creates a loop that initiates the timeline we're seeing now (abduction, cryosleep, earth still explodes but there's still hope). Whatever's going to happen in the next episodes is going to create a 3rd timeline that prevents the earth exploding, all of this future space stuff, and reintegrates the team back into the present time.

Or something like that, I think. What is probably insane is Robin is living the memories not just forward and backwards in time, but maybe all of the timelines as well?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd laugh my rear end off if everyone turned and said "Hey, want to go back and kill Ward at his job interview?"

But actually I think AoS doesn't have the problem you think it does here, Sunday, for one reason: The monolith needs to be activated at both sides to work, at the same time. Which means they can only return to a point in which someone activates the monolith in the past, either Robin or the US Military or who knows. But my point being I don't think they get to pick a return date like they have a time machine. It's a point to point trip.

"OK guys, Jemma got shot this time, so she stands slightly to the right next time. Alright here we go 347th time's the charm."

It doesn't matter. Nothing matters because you get as many do overs as you want. Just take a few loops off to plan it out. Who cares if the world blows up because we can literally go back to before that happens as many times as we want. It's like a game with infinite respawns and no equipment damage: just practice until you get it right.

The only decent time travel stories are about how to get out of a loop you are stuck in. And the only good one of those is that one episode of Stargate SG1

Although the thread is probably right about them needing to go into the future to get Flint because Inhuman powers manifest as they are needed or whatever all that fate stuff was the season with Squid Ward.

Sorry, time travel is just a huge pet peev of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Everyone is forgetting..there are still Daisy robots running around on present day Earth. Daisy robot could have attacked Gravitonium Man and caused this whole fiasco to go down. Also of note is Daisy didn't use powers in that video.

I firmly believe Flint is there to manipulate the Gravitonium and not actually hold the planet together. He'll concentrate really hard to hold it together while they take it into space where it just gets fired into the sun or hangs out with Hive or he nobly sacrifices himself or whatever.

Deke is Fitz and Jemma's son. They look way too similar when I'm not wearing my glasses so I deem that to be solid evidence.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 21, 2018