Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Brian the Dog has hosed dozens of human women over the last 20 years we will be ok guys.

Yeah my initial reaction was “no way” but I’m rewatching Superjail and if this was on TV unedited there isn’t anything too raunchy, and content wise, honestly the most hosed up thing that happens in this show is when he doesnt have sex with an underage girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Let's be real, he only didn't because he got caught.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It a hard show to watch in terms of themes and character work. It has very little actually content that would need to be censured such as overt sex or violence. Pretty much just the odd curse word here and there. Besides, if it is syndicated it will end up on adult swim or something similar, not airing during the afternoon on Hallmark.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
They'll put it on Nickelodeon, but only the animal puns and bad tongue-twisters.

Still enough material for several seasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Last year I counted like 15 uncensored fucks in a single hour on FX at 10pm. I think it's fine.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I dont know posted:

It a hard show to watch in terms of themes and character work. It has very little actually content that would need to be censured such as overt sex or violence. Pretty much just the odd curse word here and there. Besides, if it is syndicated it will end up on adult swim or something similar, not airing during the afternoon on Hallmark.

Shame. I was looking forward to a rerun of Stupid Piece of poo poo running in-between a Christmas movie and an episode of Good Witch.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Wow what a show. And I thought The Wire was bleak. But I enjoyed this a lot.

I definitely see Mr Peanutbutters arc taking a dark turn next season. I think him getting caught in some sort of scandal is what will happen. I think the idea is that we see him now as flawed but lovable "good boy" but then we'll have to come to terms with the fact that he isn't really. I thought he was gonna bite Diane when they had their big fight that led to sex. And he got mad in a certain way when that good boy mug broke so I think he knows inside he's not really a great guy.

I think he'll lose his relationship and his reputation due to whatever he did. And ultimately he will kill himself(cause you know this shows going there with someone at some point).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Artist James Burke has done some illustrations with quotes from the series (Imgur Link)

It's no biggie, but I thought of sharing anyway.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

No Mister Peanutbutter waxing about the cruel, uncaring void that is the universe?

:mediocre:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I want the glorious one of runner Bojack but instead of that quote I just want “Can we talk about ‘dibs’ here for a minute?”

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

I appreciate you sharing actually, and now I want that final one as a print for my room. Thank you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

I want the glorious one of runner Bojack but instead of that quote I just want “Can we talk about ‘dibs’ here for a minute?”

:same:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think distilling this show into sad-faced people saying sad poo poo is uncharitable to the show.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think distilling this show into sad-faced people saying sad poo poo is uncharitable to the show.

I rewatched Time's Arrow today and had never quite noticed Joseph Sugarman saying "it's a mother's duty to keep her children alive and you are continuously failing!" to Honey Sugarman after her lobotomy. I cracked up for a minute straight at how awful of a thing to say that was.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

No dude, it’s just that his face is actually long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was watching w/ Bob and David again, specifically the behind the scenes featurette, and the improvised nonsense standup Paul F. Thompkins uses to warm up the crowd sounds exactly like the garbage Mr. Peanutbutter says.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lurdiak posted:

I was watching w/ Bob and David again, specifically the behind the scenes featurette, and the improvised nonsense standup Paul F. Thompkins uses to warm up the crowd sounds exactly like the garbage Mr. Peanutbutter says.

He also has an improv podcast which frequently runs to Mister Peanutbutter style cheerful stupidity. Given the number of talented comedians doing voicework, I suspect there is a decent amount of ad libs.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

This is why i love this show, it has no qualms about showing how messy and lovely life really is for everyone

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

This is probably my favorite quote from Bojack. It's so pithy in a way that in retrospect seems so obvious that I feel like it can't be original to the show, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 21, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I unironically think this was Lisa Kudrow’s best performance because it’s the only thing I’ve seen her in where her “I’m the wackiest aunt at the wedding” worked instead of just dragging everything down.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 21, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I unironically this was Lisa Kudrow’s best performance because it’s the only thing I’ve seen her in where her “I’m the wackiest aunt at the wedding” worked instead of just dragging everything down.

Agreed 100%. It's brilliant, because she plays a genuinely smart and insightful person (which she plays well) who is also clueless about things because she's out of the loop (which she also plays well but is overly typecast as.)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The Comeback is extremely great also.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I unironically think this was Lisa Kudrow’s best performance because it’s the only thing I’ve seen her in where her “I’m the wackiest aunt at the wedding” worked instead of just dragging everything down.

You need to watch both seasons of The Comeback

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

Agreed 100%. It's brilliant, because she plays a genuinely smart and insightful person (which she plays well) who is also clueless about things because she's out of the loop (which she also plays well but is overly typecast as.)

It's a great role, and Wanda was one of my favorite characters from the series. I especially like her during the episode of Celebrities What Do They Know Do They Know Things Let's Find Out, since you can see she's extremely savvy at what she does.

Someone also believably smart but flawed. I don't really think much of that quote versus her overall, but good character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I liked how when Bojack just said she hated her job, and Wanda was taken aback because she legitimately enjoys and is very good at her job.

She was poached!
By another Network!
They shot her!
straight to the top!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bojack never realized how cruel his negativity was for people who really did have hope and enjoyed being a positive influence.

Wanda's also pretty different than Diane because she isn't paralyzed by the idea of perfection, she just barrels in and tries to do a good job and focuses on what she is able to do not what she can't.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I binge watched the first 3 seasons and legit have never felt so god awful about everything and myself in my life. I mean, having depression and anxiety binge watching was perhaps a bit of a misstep on my part. Fourth season started to pull out of the worst of the depression spiral of the show at least, so that was nice. Having been away from it for a week I actually feel a lot more normal now. I've never had a piece of media just crush me like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JossiRossi posted:

I binge watched the first 3 seasons and legit have never felt so god awful about everything and myself in my life. I mean, having depression and anxiety binge watching was perhaps a bit of a misstep on my part. Fourth season started to pull out of the worst of the depression spiral of the show at least, so that was nice. Having been away from it for a week I actually feel a lot more normal now. I've never had a piece of media just crush me like that.

Yeah I re-watch the episode where Sarah-Lynn dies surprisingly regularly. This show can nail something STRONG.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Pick posted:

Yeah I re-watch the episode where Sarah-Lynn dies surprisingly regularly. This show can nail something STRONG.

Yeah that was friggen brutal. Seriously one of the best shows I've seen in a long time in how it's handling these issues. Which is funny cause the first few eps really read as more of a "rich jerk does crap each episode" instead of "this is the self destruction of a person".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s important to set the tone for Bojack over the course of first 4 set up episodes because it helps give you a clearer picture of how far down Bojack starts.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

You need to watch both seasons of The Comeback

2nded the comeback loving rules and lisa kurdrow fuckin rules too

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kawalimus posted:

Wow what a show. And I thought The Wire was bleak. But I enjoyed this a lot.

I definitely see Mr Peanutbutters arc taking a dark turn next season. I think him getting caught in some sort of scandal is what will happen. I think the idea is that we see him now as flawed but lovable "good boy" but then we'll have to come to terms with the fact that he isn't really. I thought he was gonna bite Diane when they had their big fight that led to sex. And he got mad in a certain way when that good boy mug broke so I think he knows inside he's not really a great guy.

I think he'll lose his relationship and his reputation due to whatever he did. And ultimately he will kill himself(cause you know this shows going there with someone at some point).

A lot of people seem to be suggesting that sex scandals will play a major role in season 5, and I'm not really seeing it. They'd either have to make a main character a rapist, or do a "nuanced" he-said-she-said take, both of which are far beneath this show. Plus they already had a stellar episode about it two years ago.

Mr Peanutbutter is a certified good boy and will continue to be a good boy. The beauty of his and Diane's relationship is that it can handle anything except their fundamental inability to connect emotionally. They are not going to end it because of Mr Peanutbutter's unexplored dark past.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A lot of people seem to be suggesting that sex scandals will play a major role in season 5, and I'm not really seeing it. They'd either have to make a main character a rapist, or do a "nuanced" he-said-she-said take, both of which are far beneath this show. Plus they already had a stellar episode about it two years ago.

I don't think they're going to have any main characters directly involved, but it's way too huge and too close to the show's subject matter to just ignore it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I really want the characters to have some upswings and wins because this poo poo really did take swan dive into 'sad animals saying sad things'

Not that its bad or anything yet but you need to keep the rythem, build 'em up, break 'em down, build 'em up, break 'em down. You can't just keep breaking down and wallowing otherwise you hit rock bottom and further tragedy just feels toothless.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 22, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mr Peanutbutter is a certified good boy and will continue to be a good boy. The beauty of his and Diane's relationship is that it can handle anything except their fundamental inability to connect emotionally. They are not going to end it because of Mr Peanutbutter's unexplored dark past.

There's no way they still have a relationship by episode 2 of season 5.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Motherfucker posted:

I really want the characters to have some upswings and wins because this poo poo really did take swan dive into 'sad animals saying sad things'

Not that its bad or anything yet but you need to keep the rythem, build 'em up, break 'em down, build 'em up, break 'em down. You can't just keep breaking down and wallowing otherwise you hit rock bottom and further tragedy just feels toothless.

Season 4 ended on somewhat of a high note for Bojack, at least.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Season 4 ended on somewhat of a high note for Bojack, at least.

And only him.

(Maybe Todd too)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, the elephant in the room is BoJack and Penny, and in this environment, it'd be hard to just leave her in the rearview.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Penny tweeting about Bojack could easily be the meat of Season 5, and Is like to the think the writers are smart enough to address this because it’s basically a massive elephant in the room at this point.

Edit: Actually a better plot with more nuance would be the blonde girl that Bojack put in the hospital with alcohol poisoning could tweet about Bojack and he just gets scared because any retaliation would drag Penny into it

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...I feel terrible for saying this but I really hope the writers don't go either of those route. I want to see Bojack succeed drat it. He clearly regrets the Penny incident more than anything.