Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've only really ever been to chicago once and it didn't seem terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

depends on the season

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lancemantis posted:

I've only really ever been to chicago once and it didn't seem terrible

Go further out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Enderzero posted:

i'm pretty sure asking "when was the last time you took PTO" got me hired - the hiring manager had never heard that question before, and she mentioned that she encourages her team to use sick days if hungover and to make sure they use up sick balances by end of year. that was a strong signal as to their culture, and it correlated very well with what i've seen here on the job. thank you for materially helping my improve me life.

yup! I asked that when interviewing at my current job and got a really positive reaction as well. spoiler alert for a year and a half later: this is the best job of my career hands down

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
same in my thanks for this thread:

I had a second phone screen and I got to press both people on work/life balance since I’ve worked with other teams at this company where there can sometimes be ‘hey what are you doing this afternoon? Wrong answer, you’re grabbing the flight to Hong Kong that takes off in 2 ½ hours to fix a problem over there. Yes I know you didn’t bring any clothing, just expense whatever you need.’
The manager and engineer both said ‘yeah there might be OT/a weekend here and there depending on the product cycle but after a recent incident where we had to keep people on call during thanksgiving week, we are going to be more aggressive in adjusting scope so we don’t have to work you too hard’

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is this allowed

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
allowed? im surprised its not required

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

They also asked if I was hispanic and smoked. Not smoking is a condition of employment. For this remote job.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

They also asked if I was hispanic and smoked. Not smoking is a condition of employment. For this remote job.

Yes they are probably wide open to a class action lawsuit. Go nuts.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

is this allowed

that's illegal unless it's like, a religious institution.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

that's perfectly legal in most states. as is blood/piss testing to verify that you do not, in fact, smoke.

"smoker" is not a protected class

"hispanic" is, though. wonder why they would even want to know that -- seems like lawsuit bait.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wait maybe thats why they waited for the government shut down to pot this job lol

who's gonna enforce stuff

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

is this allowed

hobby lobby is getting ballsy

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

jesus is my neighbor and a cool dude he invited me over last weekend and we had a good time drinking wine and eating crackers in his big house. we also had a musical jam sesh and "passed the peace" iykwim

welp thats my personal relationship with jesus

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

his dad's kinda a downer tho

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i got like a 19% payrise last week, and 16% bonus, but still feel pretty underpaid

i wonder what H1B options are available these days, might be interesting to go work in the us for a year or two while ive got no hard ties here yet

always seemed like amazon was the best way to go for foreigners wanting to work in usa tech

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Valeyard posted:

i got like a 19% payrise last week, and 16% bonus, but still feel pretty underpaid

i wonder what H1B options are available these days, might be interesting to go work in the us for a year or two while ive got no hard ties here yet

always seemed like amazon was the best way to go for foreigners wanting to work in usa tech

well the government is currently literally nonfunctional and won't be for the foreseeable future, so lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

well the government is currently literally nonfunctional and won't be for the foreseeable future, so lol

eh, it would take months to sort something like a move to the us anyway, including interviewing

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Valeyard posted:

amazon has a comp structure designed almost entirely to lock you in -- big bonus and of first year, no stock until your cliff at year 2

thouhg if you're thinking of h1-b you'll be locked in anyplace, so...

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

amazon has a comp structure designed almost entirely to lock you in -- big bonus and of first year, no stock until your cliff at year 2

thouhg if you're thinking of h1-b you'll be locked in anyplace, so...

yeah, i would already be locked in. I have heard some horror stories on amazon but I am not sure how willing (in comparison) other places are to sponsor visas

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

might be interesting to go work in the us
don't

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The major thing that frustrates me about h1b is that you've only got a 30% shot at actually getting the visa, even if you get a great job offer. 70% of the visas go to like two or three Indian outsourcing companies because it seems like they have the money and people to files hundreds of thousands of applications a year.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hello netflix plase hire me i am very famiiar with your products thanks

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also i found a bug on your job listing website within 5 minutes :cmon:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Being an autist about their careers website is a red flag IMO. Lol.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
youre right, i better make sure not to mention it to them, like originally planned :thunk:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

there are plenty of US companies that have a significant development presence in Canada, not least because it can be easier (or more desirable) for some of the people they want to hire to get a Canadian visa than a US one

my department just bought a company in Vancouver and got a Vancouver office out of it (we’re not making them move) and that could potentially become a non-California option for new hires, depending on team & role

I also assume that as a Brit (if my copy of yospos.xls is correct) you could work elsewhere in the Empire Commonwealth pretty easily

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Valeyard posted:

hello netflix plase hire me i am very famiiar with your products thanks

they are indeed hiring

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

eschaton posted:

there are plenty of US companies that have a significant development presence in Canada, not least because it can be easier (or more desirable) for some of the people they want to hire to get a Canadian visa than a US one

my department just bought a company in Vancouver and got a Vancouver office out of it (we’re not making them move) and that could potentially become a non-California option for new hires, depending on team & role

I also assume that as a Brit (if my copy of yospos.xls is correct) you could work elsewhere in the Empire Commonwealth pretty easily

The real reason companies hire in Vancouver is because salary is vastly cheaper and yeah getting a visa is infinitely easier.

Getting a working holiday is easy for a Brit, but the conditions are different depending on the country. Like in Canada you can work wherever for however long up to 2 years (as long as you don't work in the sex industry), but for Australia I hear you can't be at one job for too long and you're supposed to move around. Getting Permanent residence in Canada is commonwealth independent and being a Brit won't help him.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qhat posted:

as long as you don't work in the sex industry

found that out the hard way :argh:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

i have some family that are canadian but unfortunately too far removed to actually be useful in getting a canadian passport (already looked into that), but immigrating to canada wouldnt be out of the question at all. i love the cold and the poutine lol

but yeah, not out of the question

ughh australia, no thanks though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Valeyard posted:

your best option would be to work for a US company in a dublin or london office, and be working there while waiting for the visa poo poo to go through.

h1b can easily take years, its a fixed quota lottery and it's being actively gamed by outsourcers as mentioned above. my now-husband had to leave the country for six months and work at his company's office in london while his h1b was being processed, and he had a master's from a US university so he was in a higher h1b selection tier. otherwise it would have easily been several years. it's worse now.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

qhat posted:

Being an autist about their careers website is a red flag IMO. Lol.

even acknowledging the existence of the careeer website is probably a red flag

if you don't know someone there who can refer you (always the best method), then you're supposed to casually hit up a recruiter there on linked in

"hi, I'm making a career move and am in the middle of a job search. I've been a fan of netflix's technology culture [don't mention the product], and thought i should reach out to see what [general area like back-end or mobile or w/e] opportunities there are, and whether there might be a good fit. I'll be on the market for another couple of weeks, and am open to moving to the lower bay / SJ area if there's a match"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

*aims shotgun at indeed.com*

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

if you don't know someone there who can refer you (always the best method), then you're supposed to casually hit up a recruiter there on linked in

"hi, I'm making a career move and am in the middle of a job search. I've been a fan of netflix's technology culture [don't mention the product], and thought i should reach out to see what [general area like back-end or mobile or w/e] opportunities there are, and whether there might be a good fit. I'll be on the market for another couple of weeks, and am open to moving to the lower bay / SJ area if there's a match"

this is much easier for local moves, theres an abundance of london recruiters on linked in, unfrotunately i dont get the mail merge from US based ones

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Emacs Headroom posted:

i got a few interviews at BigTech companies (and a job) from just applying to jobs on their sites

there was a lag of a couple of weeks though, I guess you gotta wait for someone to poke through the shitpile

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
I've been an a meeting with a recruiting team that went something like "uh, the resume backlog is kinda big... maybe we just clear anything past two weeks and shut down the req until head count gets figured out" more than once, at a very recognizable company

just sayin, if you go in the front door and never hear back, try knocking other places

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you know linkedin, for being the primary source of six figure related communications in the entire tech industry, it sure does have a bunch of incompetent peasants coding their website and apps

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

didn't someone say that not responding to a recruiter on linkedin is bad for the recruiter is because any response, even a "sorry no thanks", counts the message as a relevant communication? because i think i've been unconsciously owning recruiters for the past 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

you know linkedin, for being the primary source of six figure related communications in the entire tech industry, it sure does have a bunch of incompetent peasants coding their website and apps

LinkedIn is both the best site for job searches in my experience and objectively a total garbage website in every way. their app is awful too.