Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
The Showa films are best watched in their MST3K versions IMO. The Heisei ones, though, are better than the vast majority of Godzilla films, and any of yall who haven't seen them need to. Gamera 3 lives up to the hype that its built up among general kaiju fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I always assumed the dead, beached Kameobas at the beginning of I think Tokyo SOS, where they make the comment that it's the sort of creature Godzilla eats, was always supposed to be a jab at Gamera.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dylazodelan posted:

The Showa films are best watched in their MST3K versions IMO.

Vs Hedorah is the best Godzilla sequel and I don't need no robots to let me know that it's weird and funny thank you very much :colbert:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wish the gently caress I had bought Gamera the Brave on blu-ray at Fry's for like $4 when I saw it, but I had heard it was bad. Now it's impossible to find.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vs Hedorah is the best Godzilla sequel and I don't need no robots to let me know that it's weird and funny thank you very much :colbert:

He means Gamera, and is right.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The original Gamera movie has the Japanese military smugly assuring themselves that "he's a turtle, if we flip him on his back, he'll be helpless" only to discover that he can fly by emitting flames from his shell to right himself, which would singlehandedly redeem the movie even if it weren't also pretty good overall.

Suddenly I realise I have seen part of that movie, and that was the part I saw.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Double post but Planet of the Monsters is dope as hell so far. Just the back story but fuuuuck.

E: okay that kicked rear end. Roll on part 2

McDragon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 18, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, just the right amount of mecha and chaos.

The second Godzilla seemed hokey to me. Shouldn't he be the size of a continent by now? Oh, it looks like humans on Earth also managed to survive for 20,000 years

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's almost like the answer is to co-exist with the monsters and not get into a dick waving contest with them.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, just the right amount of mecha and chaos.

The second Godzilla seemed hokey to me. Shouldn't he be the size of a continent by now? Oh, it looks like humans on Earth also managed to survive for 20,000 years

i hope they find the answer to how to win

it was pretty fun! i assume they will find mecha godzilla in the next one because they made a point of saying that mecha godzilla "wouldn't wake up" in that hilarious intro montage.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 18, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, that was an interesting first part. I mean it's definitely equal parts :krakken: and :nignog: but it's still a neat story. I liked all the kaiju kameos in the backround story (really? Dagarah??) I guess there was a prequel novel about all that released in Japan, which means it's unlikely it'll be translated. Oh well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you're gonna have MechaGodzilla, then lets see the return of Jet Jaguar! Go all out!

Noted that they purposely avoided having any giant humanoid mecha (that's Pacific Rim territory anyways) but you'd hope they had slightly better weapons than speeder bikes, giant flying coffins, and legged tanks.

BTW, Part 2, Godzilla: Battle Mobile Breeding City is expected to release here in June/July 2018.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/when-will-part-2-of-godzilla-be-on-netflix/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 18, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I also like how it seems like now that we're firmly in Godzilla Gen Four (Showa, Heisei, Millennial, whatever now is), they're sticking to the idea that the US can use Godzilla as a larger than life hero wrestling other monsters, Toho is more interested in a loving king of death and destruction.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Choco1980 posted:

(Showa, Heisei, Millennial, whatever now is)

Well, Akihito is leaving the throne next year, which means we can just use the name of whatever the new era is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The first part was ok. It was good at setting up the premise but I feel it didn’t really actually do much. the extremely long engagement to deal with 1 Godzilla spawn without really touching on anything else kinda disappointed me. From earlier conversations it sounds like there’s only 4,000 people (+whatever surviving humans) and no real indication of where they go now. They mentioned setting up a moon base and harvest resources which would be cool to see but Earth as is doesn’t look very livable.

I guess I just wanted to see a glimmer of hope?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't really enjoy Part 1. Animated Godzilla should have no reason to skimp on the Godzilla action, hopefully Part 2 gets crazier.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

My face now feels sunburned from the sheer amount of teenage angst-rage that emanated from my screen. Still, that was a really cool take on the godzilla story and the monster parts were great, I just hope that my face can survive another episode worth of anger-rays until generic exotic anime girl character can teach the protagonist how to become one with nature.

The best parts though were the criminally terrible plans the survivors kept coming up with. Especially "Let's kill all the old people and see if that changes our long term prospects. Oh it didn't work, how could we have possibly foreseen that, let's head back to earth then." Honorary mention to "drat earth really got hosed up and strange in the last 10,000 years. Let us immediately and blindly send an eighth of our population down there on a massive operation to carpet bomb a single slow moving lizard. Oh gently caress! all the plants are knives"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
godzilla through the lens of attack on titan certainly is one way to do it, i guess. i'm fine with the first part over all, but the characterization of most of the cast was paper thin and outside of the vehicles and godzilla itself the designs were kind of blah. having not one, but two aliens species descend from the sky as our savior before immediately getting super hosed up by godzilla is hilarious

Xy Hapu posted:

My face now feels sunburned from the sheer amount of teenage angst-rage that emanated from my screen.

in defense of the protag, the timeline puts him somewhere into his 20's, it's a very adult angst-rage

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 20, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, Akihito is leaving the throne next year, which means we can just use the name of whatever the new era is.

i like the implication that emperor millennial exists

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

An anime with a twenty something protagonist? What will they think of next?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

An anime with a twenty something protagonist? What will they think of next?

Anime isn't the only media with 20 something protagonists in its stories. This is an inane criticism. Especially since that age group is their target audience.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 20, 2018

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I read that as sincere since last time I was paying attention to anime teenagers were orders of magnitude more common than twentysomethings

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony.or.Death posted:

I read that as sincere since last time I was paying attention to anime teenagers were orders of magnitude more common than twentysomethings

Same honestly.

Also he's like one of the only 20 year olds, most of the rest of the cast are still teenagers.

Also loving Christ shut the gently caress up movie. Just, shut up. If you cut every useless piece of technobabble out of the movie, you'd have a 30-ish minute thing that would be so much better for it.

We don't need to know how Godzilla works or how your plan works or how your tech works because all of it is bullshit nonsense and it's just wasting EVERYONE'S TIME when you keep going on and on and on about it.

SHUT UP AND BE A MOVIE

There is not a single Godzilla movie that has ever relied on technobabble.

Here is how this poo poo works in a Godzilla movie

I made an oxygen destroyer!

How?

gently caress you!

I made a maser cannon!

How?

Radio waves!

I made a MechaGodzilla!

How?

Space Titanium!

I made a loving Black Hole Gun!

Why?!

BECAUSE gently caress YOU

I MADE AN ABSOLUTE ZERO CANNON WHICH IS EVEN MORE IMPOSSIBLE THAN A BLACK HOLE GUN AND I PUT IT ON A CYBORG THAT IS A MECH SUIT BUILT AROUND THE BONES OF THE ORIGINAL GODZILLA THAT HAS INHERITED HIS MEMORIES AND NATURE AND LATER ON I'M GOING TO GIVE HIM A DRILL HAND!

SURE FINE

YOU'RE drat RIGHT IT'S FINE

Even space godzilla, which has the most indepth explanation of any science bullshit in Godzilla, basically just got

Some how, I guess Mothra? Godzilla cells went into a black hole, came out a white hole, crystals? and then this thing showed up and started attacking.

Do not waste our goddamn time with 30+ minutes of boring chatter about how this or that is supposed to work and how theoretically this could be a thing or whatever bullshit because no one cares and it just makes you look dumber for trying.

This is a series that presents you with a giant loving dinosaur that survived H Bombs and fires laser beams as the base line of weird poo poo and you just go with it because gently caress you.

This is like the polar opposite of Shin Godzilla, the same kind of ideas but so much worse in every way.

By the end you're super pumped to see the actual Godzilla wrecking their poo poo not because it's cool, but because you hate the human cast so goddamn much.

And the next movie is going to feature MechaGodzilla as the star attraction- something that was built thousands of years ago for a much, MUCH smaller Godzilla that was never actually finished.

It's not the worst Godzilla movie ever, pretty far from that, but man this movie has issues. Up to and especially the fact that it's barely a movie at all given its run time VS content that happens in the narrative.

Normally one wouldn't care about the plot of a Godzilla movie or the specifics of what the cast are doing but when they spend 40 minutes talking about it, you kind of have to dip your toe into it because otherwise you just have to stare at the movie with an open mouth and roll your eyes into the back of your head until its over.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Anime isn't the only media with 20 something protagonists in its stories. This is an inane criticism. Especially since that age group is their target audience.

I was making a joke about how it's an anime where the protagonist isn't a high schooler.

Relax.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm gonna use anime-Goji as an excuse to burn through all of the Godzilla/Mothra films I either haven't watched in ages or somehow never saw before. Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster still mostly blows, Son of Godzilla was better than I remembered but still just kind of pales in comparison to most of the previous films, and up next is Destroy All Monsters.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What is the worst Godzilla movie?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sponges posted:

Megalon probably, it's barely even a film.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
whoa whoa whoa, megalon and gigan tag-teaming godzilla and jet jaguar ruled

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sponges posted:

Space Godzilla

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

I kinda have a fondness for the insanely stupid Godzilla's Revenge with Minilla talking like Davey from Davey and Goliath, but Raids Again loving sucks rear end, I'm amazed they were able to make another Godzilla movie after that. It's such a nothing doing movie. What's the one that's like a Godzilla clip show? I always forget.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 21, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My tentative vote for worst goes to Godzilla Raids Again.

edit: beaten like a cherokee drum

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Space Godzilla is easily my worst.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do wish there was at least one more Godzilla before they went to color.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's Space Godzilla

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was making a joke about how it's an anime where the protagonist isn't a high schooler.

Relax.

It's hard to tell sometimes, my bad.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah I'll change my vote to Space Godzilla. I resent Megalon for being half recycled footage but Space Godzilla is so dull.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The first part was ok. It was good at setting up the premise but I feel it didn’t really actually do much. the extremely long engagement to deal with 1 Godzilla spawn without really touching on anything else kinda disappointed me. From earlier conversations it sounds like there’s only 4,000 people (+whatever surviving humans) and no real indication of where they go now. They mentioned setting up a moon base and harvest resources which would be cool to see but Earth as is doesn’t look very livable.

I guess I just wanted to see a glimmer of hope?

i thought it was kind of boring godzilla stomping through trees is so much less interesting than godzilla stomping through buildings

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Megalon at the very least has an oddball jazzy soundtrack and is relentlessly fun. Godzilla's Revenge is a pretty effective and surprisingly bleak coming-of-age story once you get over the fact that it's monster action is lousy. Spacegodzilla really has nothing going for it besides its great Godzilla suit; it's a total slog that really embodies all the worst aspects of the late '90s movies. Raids Again at least has a somewhat foreboding atmosphere and a uniquely savage monster fight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anime Godzilla was pointless.

Attack on Titan but in space. Zzzzzzz

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where are people getting the Attack on Titan comparisons? It seems way more like Urobuchi recycling ideas from his own Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet to me (Terrible show btw, don't watch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
because nobody watched Gargantia