Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

axeil posted:

Follow up question on this, does the memory setting matter at all?

I wouldn't touch the memory voltage unless you're going to play with memory overclocking. My 470 has Hynix memory so overclocking it comes at the expense of really sloppy timings (so it's actually slower at higher frequency) so I haven't touched the memory at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Talking about netflix content, the KDE screenshot tool seems to work:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
If I weren’t paranoid about getting refund scammed, I’d Ebay all my cards right now and wait for Ampere. I’d hate to sell them and then on day 29 get hosed on a bunch of returns.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

tehinternet posted:

If I weren’t paranoid about getting refund scammed, I’d Ebay all my cards right now and wait for Ampere. I’d hate to sell them and then on day 29 get hosed on a bunch of returns.

Its a scary thought, but like a heart attack is scary. Its just probably not going to happen unless you open yourself up a bunch of ... risk factors lol.

Insure it, real non bullshit shipping (no first class), tracking, and if you wanna get paranoid make a video of you packing the thing with serial number on camera then sign the box across the flaps. Then make a short video of you clearly dropping that box into the priority chute at USPS. No one is ever going to see it but its free ammunition in a Paypal escalation if it actually comes down to that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've sold 3 GPUs on eBay and the only things I've gotten is money and positive reviews :shrug:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

I've sold 3 GPUs on eBay and the only things I've gotten is money and positive reviews :shrug:

But you're talking about Bitcoin currently experiencing a drop in price and people panicked and returned mass quantities of cards back to Newegg. eBay may only sanction returns for up to 30 days, PayPal sides with the buyer on returns for SIX MONTHS. That means 177 days later they could return the item and you could be out $700+ you may have already spent.

Difficulty increases within 6 months and the card is no longer profitable? Just return it on day 175.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 21, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It happens, someone returned one on me but on the whole flipping GPUs on ebay has been lucrative for me. If you can get the same money on craigslist that would be better but I like ebay because I can sell them really fast. Also people are just dumb on ebay, I sold my Titan X for $950 after the 1080 Ti release and before crypto mining got big.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlayVus posted:

But you're talking about Bitcoin currently experiencing a drop in price and people panicked and returned mass quantities of cards back to Newegg. eBay may only sanction returns for up to 30 days, PayPal sides with the buyer on returns for SIX MONTHS. That means 177 days later they could return the item and you could be out $700+ you may have already spent.

Difficulty increases within 6 months and the card is no longer profitable? Just return it on day 175.

people dont mine bitcoin on GPUs, and mining profits are back up to within 10% of pre drop currently

All those cards that you say were panic returned would have been bought back up immediately. GPUs were still being sold out within seconds of restocking during the correction.

If you are so afraid of maybes I wouldnt go outside ever, i hear its dangerous

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Can anyone in Australia confirm that for once we're not the ones getting hosed on prices? I checked Newegg and a couple other places to sewe what you guys were talking about and holy poo poo you weren't kidding. GTX 1070 for USD$1000? What the gently caress.

I checked the usual suspects over here and a 1070 is running AUD$700-800 which is less than USD$650.

It only just dawned how hosed up mining has made prices over there. For sure prices have gone up here but gently caress that poo poo. I really am sorry for you guys.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those are 3rd party seller prices and there is very little evidence anyone is buying at that price in any real amounts

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

those are 3rd party seller prices and there is very little evidence anyone is buying at that price in any real amounts

Oh really? I didn't realise Newegg did that too. So what is the actual price people are paying for, say, a 1070? Is it around the $600-650 mark? Also supply is still a problem over there, correct? I haven't seen any shortages here.

A dozen or so pages ago there was pics of empty GPU shelves in stores. Exaggerated or not? It's so hard to distinguish what's hyperbole and what's factual at the moment.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh really? I didn't realise Newegg did that too. So what is the actual price people are paying for, say, a 1070? Is it around the $600-650 mark? Also supply is still a problem over there, correct? I haven't seen any shortages here.

A dozen or so pages ago there was pics of empty GPU shelves in stores. Exaggerated or not? It's so hard to distinguish what's hyperbole and what's factual at the moment.

I was in my friendly local computer store last week (Frys) and anything more studly than a 1050 was loving gone.

And it was a LONG aisle of cards.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syntaxfunction posted:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/ for real prices that people are actually buying at. Above MSRP but no where near double

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fauxtool posted:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/ for real prices that people are actually buying at. Above MSRP but no where near double

Confirmed. I snagged a EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 for $830 earlier in the week. Putting the mining profits to good use by getting a ballin’ rear end card for my gaming computer that I would never buy otherwise. Thanks, fake money!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SlayVus posted:

PayPal sides with the buyer on returns for SIX MONTHS.

Paypal demands the item be "significantly not as described" and demands some evidence. They are not as easily swayed as eBay, who needs people to feel comfortable to buy things in order to be a place for people to sell things. eBay's policies are what they are as a way to keep their business competitive. PayPal's policies are what they are because of European Union consumer laws, and they're not going to accept "I decided I didn't like it".

If you think this is really a problem, then I suggest trying to buy cars and really expensive poo poo with PayPal and try returning it after five months.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is it me or did Nvidia increase the Titan V price too? Think it was lower last year

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is it me or did Nvidia increase the Titan V price too? Think it was lower last year

It's still 3k on Nvidia's website. :shrug:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Naffer posted:

I wouldn't touch the memory voltage unless you're going to play with memory overclocking. My 470 has Hynix memory so overclocking it comes at the expense of really sloppy timings (so it's actually slower at higher frequency) so I haven't touched the memory at all.

Ah okay. I ended up playing around a bit with the clock speeds and this is what I was able to pull off (this is a reference card with the crappy fan design). It seems to run much cooler and quieter at max load now. Thanks for your help!

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 21, 2018

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know, it's interesting to me that America is currently on the world poo poo-list and suddenly our prices on things we import have gone up. It may not be all politics but there is something to it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lube banjo posted:

I don't know, it's interesting to me that America is currently on the world poo poo-list and suddenly our prices on things we import have gone up. It may not be all politics but there is something to it

To be fair, a big part of this is because power is a good bit cheaper in large portions of the US than in most other countries in the world--particularly developed ones--so there's more mining activity in the US than most other countries. Hence the mining craze is impacting stock more here than elsewhere.

Comparatively, these crazy prices in the US are bringing them up to about parity with what some Euro/ANZAC countries pay normally (admittedly a bunch of that is due to VAT, better customer protections adding cost, etc.).

Even with the craze, the average price for a 1080 right now seems to be around $750 in the US, and about 650 euros in Germany (the only place I looked, cuz I'm lazy). 650 euro = ~$800, so pretty close to each other.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just think the 1080s were selling for around $750-700 in Nov 2016.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redeyes posted:

Just think the 1080s were selling for around $750-700 in Nov 2016.

I know! I'm really tempted to dump mine back for close to the $675 I paid near launch. Especially since I picked up a 1080Ti hydro recently, so I'm good for all the gaming I do. I'm pretty confident that I can continue to make ~$5/day with the 1080 for a bit here, but if Ampere launches in March, I'm not particularly confident I'd be able to make up the ~$300 hit in sale price I'd imagine the 1080 will take by then.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I cringed when I paid $800 for a 1080 Ti because that's $100 over MSRP, just sold it for $1050 :lol:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

I cringed when I paid $800 for a 1080 Ti because that's $100 over MSRP, just sold it for $1050 :lol:

I got my 1080 Ti hybrid for $775, which is about $50 under MSRP. Guy was selling it because it was "getting in the way of his other cards." People on CL are weird :shrug:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
some cards dont play nice with other cards , but they all need a loving home

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
Reading all this, I'm amazed I managed to get my 1080 for $382 in mid-2017 (EVGA FE open-box at Microcenter). Really lucked out.

I wonder if I should sell it to some buttminer, but I don't wanna have to replace it...

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There seems to be some interest in this too. All I'm doing now is finding interesting links. New cards need to come so I can have original research at my own. What GPU 3rd parties think of mining in 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Seems like what companies think about mining boils down to "pretty awesome if you're Sapphire, Zotac, or PNY; okay if you're EVGA or Asus, bad if you're Gigabyte and MSI." The worst thing that can happen is the whole desktop market dissolves, and with plenty of laptops and Android tablets I have to assume that Asus is better prepared to weather that storm than the other two big names.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I am extremely tempted to sell off my refurb 1070 for big $$$ now and hopefully sink those costs into a better GPU post-crash but that PayPal 180 day thing is scaring me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just sold my 1070 for 830 cad (665usd) on eBay. I paid 425 for it (about 350usd).

I selected used and no returns as options when selling. And I'll be shipping it with tracking, insurance and a required signature on delivery. Luckily another Canadian purchased it so I don't have to deal with customs bullshit.

Also have a 4gb gtx 770 for sale. 2 days left and it's at 125. Lots of Amazon stores are unaware of the price spike and are selling cards for around MSRP. I just purchased a 1080ti for a little over 1000cad. It's an Asus strix ROG which was always about $100 more than the cheapest zotac cards.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 22, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

logikv9 posted:

I am extremely tempted to sell off my refurb 1070 for big $$$ now and hopefully sink those costs into a better GPU post-crash but that PayPal 180 day thing is scaring me.

Lots of people have sold lots of GPUs (I've sold three myself) and never had any issue?

Just make sure you have pictures of the serial number and include those in the listing so nobody tries any funny business. Most likely scam is somebody tries to give you a broken busted card of the same type, but if they know that you know the serial for that card, they're not going to swap in a card with a different serial and go "hey this is busted, take it back". If you're the kind of person with enough free space to collect hardware boxes, EVGA actually includes the serial number on the box with a window above to make sure the numbers match. Usually your buyer will give you positive feedback within the first 30 days, indicating that they're satisfied and not going to pull some weirdness on you. PayPal is very clear on what is/isn't covered by the 180 thing, and it's almost all scam protection. "The market crashed three months later and I don't want this card anymore at this price" isn't going to be covered.

Even if, barring all evidence to the contrary, it actually happened, as long as you bought your replacement GPU at non-inflated prices you could always sell it and go back to your old GPU, effectively paying a small amount of money to loan your GPU to a stranger and use a nicer one in the interim. It stings a little, but it's nowhere near as catastrophic as investing your money into crypto right now. Chances are waiting for prices to come down and the card you want to appear at the price you want will eat up at least a month or two anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 22, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Craptacular, what about "no returns" as a selling option ?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

jonathan posted:

Craptacular, what about "no returns" as a selling option ?

Doesn't do squat. Basically eBay demands you respect their 30 day return period guarantee on a huge variety of categories. Some things like vehicles and real estate aren't covered, but even things like antiques and old timey baseball cards usually are. The fact that there's a pricing market that's very much in flux for the object doesn't really matter.

Even though even eBay says buyer's remorse isn't really a valid excuse, they'll still often take it or do minimal policing, because eBay dies if nobody's buying things. If people decide to sell elsewhere, that's their own business, but if people don't feel comfortable buying then eBay (which makes their profits on final sale price) loses money and nobody can sell anything there anyway. PayPal's policy is simply applying worldwide the most liberal/consumer-friendly policy that they're forced to listen to as a result of being an international retail system, and they have less profit motive to side with buyers.

In my case with the summer bubble, I sold a card on June 20th and bought a card on July 31st, and lived on a 2013 Intel iGPU that can barely run eSports titles in-between. There were zero occasions in the interim where I thought "oh I'd buy that card if the money wasn't at risk" because it took a few months for supply to show back up and prices to begin to recover.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

logikv9 posted:

Depends how much you value your paypal account. If you keep your account at 0 balance at all times, the worst that can happen is that they reverse it later and send you into a negative balance. But Paypal balance is considered internet funnymoney, so they can't send that balance to collections. At least they couldn't when I was scammed as a Seller about 5 years ago. I don't know if things have changed.

I was scammed for $400 on ebay. Paypal sent some emails and made some phone calls to me about how I needed to pay to cover the $400 negative balance, but I just ignored them because that sounded like the dumbest thing ever. "Congrats, you've been scammed! Please transfer in $400 to pay for being scammed." It never hit my credit report.

I signed up for a new paypal account a couple months later and haven't had any problems, just don't provide your SSN since it is optional and they track it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
On OCUK 1080tis have reached £750 for the basic FE and 860+ for the rest with most being 900. It's absolutely crazy how I got mine for 680. I'm seriously considering selling mine for a tidy profit. I hardly game on PC since Destiny was such a massive failure.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Craptacular! posted:

Lots of people have sold lots of GPUs (I've sold three myself) and never had any issue?

Just make sure you have pictures of the serial number and include those in the listing so nobody tries any funny business. Most likely scam is somebody tries to give you a broken busted card of the same type, but if they know that you know the serial for that card, they're not going to swap in a card with a different serial and go "hey this is busted, take it back".

What's stopping someone from just swapping the stickers as well? I'm pretty paranoid right now since I flipped my video card on ebay to a guy who registered just to buy the card.He paid immediately via paypal, and paypal said I was good to ship and had seller protection. I took tons of pictures of the card and box at all angles, and even pictures of how well packed it was in the shipping box. I thought about making a mark with a sharpie somewhere unnoticeable in case they tried some kind of switcheroo. We'll see if I get hosed or not!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

yergacheffe posted:

What's stopping someone from just swapping the stickers as well?

It's pretty hard to swap the stickers without making it super obvious.

As has been said, PayPal is a whole lot more skeptical about these things than eBay is, since they have basically no vested interest in protecting the buyer specifically in these cases, unlike eBay.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

yergacheffe posted:

What's stopping someone from just swapping the stickers as well?

The stickers are generally pre-sliced along the edges and have -very- good glue; it’s impossible to get them off without tearing them into shreds.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

The stickers are generally pre-sliced along the edges and have -very- good glue; it’s impossible to get them off without tearing them into shreds.

Tell that to my old Asus HD7870, god drat sticker just fell right off on its own.
On the other hand, on my new card it's more like it's been printed on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, they absolutely have stepped up their game with the S/N stickers over the last few generations.