Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I haven't been a big fan of the turn-based games I've tried, but I downloaded XCOM1's demo on a whim and founded myself enjoying it. Likely due to the unique camera work when characters perform an action.

Sad I missed this on the Winter Sale, but onto my wishlist it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Check around, maybe someone has keys left over from a bundle. (that's how I got the first one)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Exposure posted:

If you're on a Windows PC, it shouldn't be happening anymore since the October patch, the issue was found due to the one instance of the game not filtering out soldiers on covert actions: when you first open the squad select screen for another mission while a covert action is in progress.

If you're on Mac/Linux/Consoles, at this point it's looking like you're all poo poo out of luck because there's no way the porting companies used to outsource development for your platform wouldn't have gotten something out the door by now if 2K was still interested in fully supporting the game.

Yeah, it's real unfortunate how much support for alternate platforms, the SDK, etc, dried up after WOTC came out. Dropped it like a hot potato.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Thank you and quoting for future reference.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Bit of a hail Mary but does anyone know why 'The Lost' and 'The Horde' sitreps don't spawn any lost for me? Missions are just as usual.

Happened on two playthroughs now.

Removing all mods and deleting config doesn't fix the issue. My mods are largely UI anyway, the only thing remotely interesting would be 'fair lost targeting'.

I've never had a mission that spawned the lure thing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm pretty sure just GOING on a covert OP unequips soldiers, doesn't it?

Nope they take whatever they’ve got equipped at the time, which is handy when they get ambushed cos they’ll actually have decent gear, but not so handy when you forget you left your WAR suit and disruptor rifle on someone right before a mission pops up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

chird posted:

Bit of a hail Mary but does anyone know why 'The Lost' and 'The Horde' sitreps don't spawn any lost for me? Missions are just as usual.

Happened on two playthroughs now.

Removing all mods and deleting config doesn't fix the issue. My mods are largely UI anyway, the only thing remotely interesting would be 'fair lost targeting'.

I've never had a mission that spawned the lure thing.

verify cache, this game has a weird habit of doing tons of weird stuff and verifying caches finds some bad file and fixes it like 85% of the time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How does verifying a cache work? Is there a master file that's like a blueprint, and verifying checks that all the pieces are correct and in the right place?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Nope they take whatever they’ve got equipped at the time, which is handy when they get ambushed cos they’ll actually have decent gear, but not so handy when you forget you left your WAR suit and disruptor rifle on someone right before a mission pops up.

For awhile, not sure if they fixed it, but hitting the unequip all button would strip people on covert ops of their gear so you could use it on missions (but not ambushes)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bogart posted:

How does verifying a cache work? Is there a master file that's like a blueprint, and verifying checks that all the pieces are correct and in the right place?

pretty sure it's basically checksums that you verify against steam's known-good values

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yep, judging by these will values, Chosen Strongholds roughly count as two separate missions, which means your dudes are definitely going to be tired for around 12 days or so.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Weird, maybe it was some mod doing that to me then.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Is there a mod for WOTC that adds tuxedos?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

odiv posted:

Check around, maybe someone has keys left over from a bundle. (that's how I got the first one)

I picked up XCOM 2 instead since I found it on sale for $14.40.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I really like the tone and feel of XCOM, but don't know if I'd be able to go back after the improvements of XCOM 2.

I'd really try to play the first one somehow if you can.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AppleDan posted:

Is there a mod for WOTC that adds tuxedos?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

odiv posted:

I really like the tone and feel of XCOM, but don't know if I'd be able to go back after the improvements of XCOM 2.

I'd really try to play the first one somehow if you can.

Yeah I vastly prefer the first game's setting and 'style' but I can't go back to guessing if certain tiles will let me shoot at the enemy or not.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/666/

its not the best but its something

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:yikes:

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Yeah could you tell me what its called

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

AppleDan posted:

that's an outfit that's already in the game. there's a lot of mods that enable it for use. pretty sure this is the one I use, for example https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1140436094

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AppleDan posted:

yeah i'm running too many cosmetic mods to remember but that one linked above is p good for a lot of stuff, there is also a non-beta version

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What mods (or settings) do I need if I'm frequently restarting and want to cut down / skip the intro stuff?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

odiv posted:

What mods (or settings) do I need if I'm frequently restarting and want to cut down / skip the intro stuff?

It's called get good scrub

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

odiv posted:

an SSD

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's not like it loads slowly, it's that there's a bunch of intro stuff I can't skip. I ticked the "reduce beginner VO" thing, but that didn't seem to do all that much. I haven't unticked that Lost and Abandoned checkbox, but after reading a few things it seems like that's what I should do next.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

odiv posted:

It's not like it loads slowly, it's that there's a bunch of intro stuff I can't skip. I ticked the "reduce beginner VO" thing, but that didn't seem to do all that much. I haven't unticked that Lost and Abandoned checkbox, but after reading a few things it seems like that's what I should do next.

Yeah uh disable the tutorial and Lost and Abandoned.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I had the tutorial already disabled and reduce beginner VO on. I wasn't sure if Lost and Abandoned got rid of the Lost completely or was just one mission, but I looked into it. Wasn't sure if there were any other settings I might be missing, that's all.

edit: Hey, in my defense the checkbox for the Lost and Abandoned option wasn't the most clear. I thought it meant that new gameplay features wouldn't be included if I unchecked it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2018

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

OOOOH, I have that installed already, must not have noticed it. Thanks guys.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AppleDan posted:

OOOOH, I have that installed already, must not have noticed it. Thanks guys.

I think it might also be in Jsleezy's repurposed gear...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did they change the AI for Gatekeepers? I played a challenge mode that featured two Gatekeepers and a Sectopod and I blew all my explosives early, not knowing, so I had quite a few turns with them active, and their weird, meandering AI saved me. They moved twice a bunch, used their gates on dead bodies without hitting my guys, and used consume on their own zombies instead of being more aggressive. I don't think they used their regular gun. It was like the opposite of the changes they made to Sectoid AI.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 24, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I've seen them waste their turn on useless moves but that doesn't seem too out of the ordinary - the Hunter does that quite often too.

It's been more fun with the Priests using stasis on a templar or ranger coming in for melee and then MECs killing themselves and others by inexplicably opting to shoot grenades at the invulnerable unit

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Speaking of the AI has anyone tried that Better AI mod? Would be cool if it fixed the problem of the enemy taking some seriously wonky turns. I've definitely had the Chosen pass up really loving me up to instead just run around, which hey cool but it still feels kind of like a cheat.

Although looking at the list of changes I'm a little worried it would seriously bog things down or turn things unfun.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dylan McKay posted:

Speaking of the AI has anyone tried that Better AI mod? Would be cool if it fixed the problem of the enemy taking some seriously wonky turns. I've definitely had the Chosen pass up really loving me up to instead just run around, which hey cool but it still feels kind of like a cheat.

Although looking at the list of changes I'm a little worried it would seriously bog things down or turn things unfun.

It's built into A Better ADVENT. It's really a question of, is it the AI's self-imposed restrictions on tactical movements (which it does on lower difficulties) making it do stupid stuff? Or is it simply the AI wigging out because it can't decide what to do, or simply making strange decisions? Because if it's the latter, I don't think the Better AI would help.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, I finally managed to mount an assault on the first Chosen and had a squad wipe because i accidentally activated three pods. I can’t really recover from that and it sucks to lose a campaign because of pod distribution, but I guess I’ll just start over and apply what I’ve learned.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I didn't even think that would be possible on a chosen assault, drat

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a bunch of good rear end looking mods the past couple weeks.

Probably most notably, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1280477867
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1275622993&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1280340515

Definitely gonna have to start a new game up soon.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

That SHIV mod is exactly what I've always wanted, I think I might start a new campaign for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey guys I'm doing my first WotC game. Can someone please give me an updated list of what uses alien corpses have so I know when I can sell what to the Black Market?

General "what's new and different / what you need to know for WotC" also appreciated.