Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

That's what the creators of Lost said, also. Here's the thing though: I do not believe that.

Didn't they admit that was a lie? Because that is obviously a lie so I don't know why they would bother saying it.

IronSaber posted:

lol

Wait, you're not serious, are you?

I am 100% serious: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-reynolds-star-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-1065206

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You leave lost out of this

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think that from everything to SU to GoT it's starting to seem like no TV show should set up such a complex running plot since they always fail to resolve it satisfactorily.

But with SU, it's one of the things that consistently annoys me about discussions around the show since to me it's more about the characters and their specific stories rather than the big wide Homeworld vs Crystal Gems plotline. I don't think something like the mystery of Pink Diamond is that important on it's own and I'd rather see it being just a part of Steven or Pearl's character development.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Reasonable expectations and wants given the show as established.

Ok, yeah but have u considered that Pink Diamond is actually sans from undertale

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Pick posted:

That's what the creators of Lost said, also. Here's the thing though: I do not believe that.

Lost was made up as it went along after season 2, let's be real here.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Moriatti posted:

Ok, yeah but have u considered that Pink Diamond is actually sans from undertale

[megalovania intensifies]

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

LemonLimeTime posted:

Lost was made up as it went along after season 2, let's be real here.

Lost did at least remove its filler halfway during season 3 as soon as the writers were told they were only getting six seasons

But then the writers strike happened
and also they were clearly at least making things up on a season by season basis

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Most TV is made up as the writers go along. Breaking Bad, a show praised for its tidy plotting, was made up as the writers went along. Your favourite show was made up as the writers went along. Nobody films a pilot already knowing exactly how the next several years of story will go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heroes was a show that got absolutely hosed by the writer's strike, among other things.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Just about every show that was airing at that time got messed up by the strike. TSCC, Battlestar, Heroes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Heroes was a show that got absolutely hosed by the writer's strike, among other things.

I liked where season one was going with Sylar at first - the reason that he was such a good clockmaker, and the reason he could steal powers, was because his own power was to see how everything fit together. The reason he ripped open peoples heads was to see how their brain was wired differently so that he could apply that to himself. I particularly liked the moment where he finally catches Claire and she's just like "Please don't eat my brain.." "Eat your brain? Claire, that's disgusting..."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Supercar Gautier posted:

Most TV is made up as the writers go along. Breaking Bad, a show praised for its tidy plotting, was made up as the writers went along. Your favourite show was made up as the writers went along. Nobody films a pilot already knowing exactly how the next several years of story will go.

Yeah, but some shows do it better than others. All shows are made up, but if they're good you believe the lies. If they're bad, well, you get Heroes season 2.

Milky Moor posted:

Just about every show that was airing at that time got messed up by the strike. TSCC, Battlestar, Heroes.

Ugly Betty, too. Vanessa Williams deserved better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What is storytelling but the art of creating and maintaining believable lies?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Inescapable Duck posted:

What is storytelling but the art of creating and maintaining believable lies?

They dont even have to be believable, just entertaining.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And in the end, isn't that the real truth?

The answer... is no.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Guys is badficniverse okay

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Caveman Greg confirmed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I bet it'd be super disorienting and uncomfortable if Steven and the Crystal Gems get to meet any other Rose Quartzes. And who knows whether they'd hold grudges against the sort of incarnation of the most infamous traitor of their kind or might be as welcoming as the Famethyst. Also, that pic seems to assume that not all Rose Quartzes necessarily wore full-length ballgowns into battle.

It is implied (mostly through the Rubies and Amethysts, the only Gems we've seen in groups) that Gems of the same model tend to have, if not identical, similar personalities and abilities, likely as a result of their 'programming' when they're born, since they come out as fully capable adults. (though it seems implied they do have training and education afterwards, as Peridot has passed certification to operate a Kindergarten) Obviously there's variation, as the Ruby Squad show a distinct variety of personalities, but the Famethyst seems to imply that even developing completely independently of Homeworld culture, Amethyst gems end up having similar friendly, fun-loving, social but mischievous personalities. (and while Skinny is very different from Jasper, they're both in turn different from the Amethysts)

Random note: apparently, Aquamarine was inspired a little by Eric Cartman.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 22, 2018

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty sure that being THE alpha Jasper does something to your status and personality.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Say Nothing posted:

Caveman Greg confirmed.

Where did you find this?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The internet probably

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

~HEIGHT CHAT~

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I bet it'd be super disorienting and uncomfortable if Steven and the Crystal Gems get to meet any other Rose Quartzes. And who knows whether they'd hold grudges against the sort of incarnation of the most infamous traitor of their kind or might be as welcoming as the Famethyst. Also, that pic seems to assume that not all Rose Quartzes necessarily wore full-length ballgowns into battle.

I thought we were shown that all of the other Rose Quartzes are bubbled and just sitting in the Diamond's dwelling in the Human Zoo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IronSaber posted:

I thought we were shown that all of the other Rose Quartzes are bubbled and just sitting in the Diamond's dwelling in the Human Zoo.

I figured, I'm saying in case they get released at some point.

I imagine Steven would probably say that they don't deserve to be locked up for the crimes of just one of their kind who's no longer around, though obviously if the majority of them might still be Homeworld loyal, it might not be a good idea to hand over to Homeworld an atoning army of super-soldiers who look like his mom.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I figured, I'm saying in case they get released at some point.

I imagine Steven would probably say that they don't deserve to be locked up for the crimes of just one of their kind who's no longer around, though obviously if the majority of them might still be Homeworld loyal, it might not be a good idea to hand over to Homeworld an atoning army of super-soldiers who look like his mom.

this has got Evangelion written all over it.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
It would be freaking weird and I dont think Steven would handle the stress of meeting all of his other “moms” very well. That said, you cant generalize how every Rose Quartz might react to ever being freed. I mean, if they were Pink’s soldiers that means they were all grown on Earth so they might behave like the Famethysts did when the traitors in their midst were revealed. They might still represent homeworld but they likely weren’t treated well when they were all bubbled (forcibly most likely), and seeing as their own diamond is dead they truly have no leader to call their own.

Also we have no basis for comparison as to how a normal Rose Quartz “should” behave...Rose was not exactly your typical conformist.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lupus Rufus posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can't believe the leaks were true; the final song of the series is a surprisingly upbeat duet between Steven and White Diamond about suicide.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Senerio posted:

The biggest thing that Save the Light did to me was show me the correct spelling of Schtuball.

I get the last boss music stuck in my head all the time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe the leaks were true; the final song of the series is a surprisingly upbeat duet between Steven and White Diamond about suicide.

Kum Sosser Greg

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lupus Rufus posted:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Honestly that's just the tip of the iceberg. Rebecca Sugar has openly admitted she (unsurprisingly) adores the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIzpaurSGM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shwqa posted:

I get the last boss music stuck in my head all the time.

I like that the final bosses come down to talking them down. It's so fitting. "You're a wise little creature, aren't you?" is such a good line.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Apparently the Steven Universe Podcast is starting up again on Thursday, I honestly have no idea what's left for them to talk about.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

LemonLimeTime posted:

Honestly that's just the tip of the iceberg. Rebecca Sugar has openly admitted she (unsurprisingly) adores the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIzpaurSGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azCpZL2NrVQ

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Shhhhh, I need to watch this over and over again now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Meanwhile, Hulu Support throws us a possible bone on airdates.

https://twitter.com/raebuhse/status/955474219177074690

https://twitter.com/hulu_support/status/955674497125896193

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

That's pretty dang good.

EasyEW posted:

April 2018

That'd be good too.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

The strangest thing about this is hearing it in english.

EasyEW posted:

Why do I get the worst feeling it'll just be 2 new episodes and then nothing for another 6 months?