Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Chatrapati posted:

conjugation magic
We're a powerful wizard of the Ses'ame school of magic. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
better than those imperial shills the Electrum Company and their fancy emperor charter

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
1. D
2. B - Faridah
3. Eb

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D
Silace
Eb

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

For a moment, by very ancient instinct, your eyes scan over the lock. It’s a very crude lock, and you think you could probably pick it, if you’d had a pick. Well you could once, at least. After all, you grew up on the streets, and even those who keep on the right side of the law have to learn few survival skills, because the guards are not above throwing innocent children in chains if they have even the slightest reason to think you might be a thief or a pickpocket.

But did you stay on the right side of the law?
A:
Yes. I might’ve been a street rat, but i’m not a thief. I got food by begging, drudge work, charity and entertaining instead.
B: No. I did small time crime, because i had to. Nothing serious, but pickpocketing, scamming, and pocketing fruits and bread from stalls. Sometimes, i was the lookout when others broke into a shop or something. I’ve since put it all behind me and forgotten most, but not all, of what i learnt.
C: No. I did small time crime, because i had to. Nothing serious, but pickpocketing, scamming, and pocketing fruits and bread from stalls. Sometimes, i was the lookout when others broke into a shop or something. I’ve picked up some of those skills again since leaving the hall of the virtues of war,
D: I did more serious crime. Please specify. I have since put it behind me.
E: I did more serious crime. Please specify. I have since picked up some of the skills i gained again.

In any case, you don’t have a lockpick, and you have no plans of picking any locks. Instead you close your eyes. You think back for a moment, remember your training at the halls of the virtues of war. You were brought there early on, while you were still young, after impressing some warrior with your ferocity and skill, untrained and raw as it might’ve been. She took you there, to the halls of the virtue of war, and there you trained as a Maiden of Battle. By day, you were taught the Thirty-Eight Grips, the Seven-Hundred and Fifty Offensive Positions, the Eighteen Hundred Defensive ones, and, of course, the Nearly Nine Thousand Movements. By night, you read the Book of Circles, and the histories of other races’ sword fighting techniques, and received instructions in the forming of the sehai, and in the demanding mental disciplines required for a true warrior. Meditating on the philosophies and true theories of the way of the sword, you learnt to shut out pain, to hone your focus, and to bring your spirit, your sword and your will into perfect harmony. You went to bed exhausted, but woke up rested, and spent your days in the company of friends. Some were noble’s sons and daughters, others the children of merchants, and some even left at the doorstep of the hall as babies. But there, in the hall, all that mattered was you skill with a sword and your ability to learn.
You think back to it for a moment, and remember your training. You breathe in, breathe out. You block out everything that isn’t you. Then you block out the thought of any weapon that isn’t a sword. You forget that swords don’t spring from nothing. You forget that your soul isn’t a sword. You forget that what you’re trying is impossible, that it likely hasn’t been done for centuries. You forget that you’ve only ever managed to manifest the faintest wisp of mist and light.
You focus on one thing, only. The image of the perfect sword, and your pour the faint trickle of magicka you have into that idea, along with all your will and soul.
But it is for nothing. You feel a warmth at your hand, you feel mist forming, but… that is all. You breathe out, about to abandon you undertaking, when you feel… something. A presence, like the half-forgotten whisper you remember from your dream. And almost like a whisper, it guides you, your mind and spirit, down new and yet familiar paths. It guides you to a tiny place within yourself, where you find and feel the one true sword of your spirit, the sword which you feel forming, ablaze with power, in your hand.

What sword?
A:
A Scimitar. A traditional Redguard weapon, the scimitar is particularly used by Alik’r nomads and members of the Crowns, the traditionalist and nationalist faction of redguard society. You know slightly more about the forging and history of Scimitars than other swords, but you have trained to master and use all swords equally. Favors speed and movement. Better for offence than for parrying, not the most useful sword against armor.
B: A broadsword. An adaptable sword, used by swordsmasters of all races and traditions. It favors neither speed, nor strength, nor agility, or any other particular attribute, except the skill of its wielder. Has been used by Redguards since the god Onsi taught men to lengthen knives into swords.
C: A shortsword. Like the broadsword, used by swordsmasters everywhere. Favors agility and speed, and carries no cultural significance to redguards except the significance carried by all swords. Slightly better for parry a defense than a broadsword.
Ca: C, but it’s a gladius, an imperial sword. Isn’t relevantly different in use, but as an imperial sword, it is considered foreign by more traditionalist redguards, though most care little.
D: A Claymore. A huge, two-handed sword. Versions exist in every culture, and while it is uncommon among redguards, it has been favored by a few ansei and sword-singers. Favors strength and power, and has the advantage of reach compared to many other swords. Difficult to parry with.
E: A Cutlass. Another foreign sword, but one that many redguards took to during the early years of the Ra Gada, the warrior wave, and is still very common in the coastal cities of hammerfell, not to mention among pirates and sailors of every race. Similar to a Scimitar, favoring speed, but shorter, and somewhat better for defense.
F: A Katana. Another imperial sword, though originally akaviri. An unusual weapon for redguards, but one you have studied nevertheless. Requires a mix of one and two-handed techniques to wield properly, and relies on speed and strength. Not the best weapon when faced with heavily armored opponents, and a poor weapon for parrying.
G: A Dai-katana. A larger version of the katana, at least as big as a claymore, bit lighter. Has some of the same weaknesses as a katana, but greater reach, and with enough strength, has been known to cleave horses and camels in half.
H(addon): But i also manifest a shortsword in my offhand, as i am trained in and prefer the two-weapon techniques of the way of the sword. These are unorthodox, but the way of the sword nevertheless teaches its followers to use every grip and stroke known to man, including those that require two weapons. Cannot be added to D or G.
Ha(addon): As H, but it’s a gladius.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 21, 2018

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

quote:

E: I did more serious crime. Please specify. I have since picked up some of the skills i gained again.
Uhh, yes, yes, I learned so many skills during my Felonies life of Terrorism.

I Murder people and dissect them for their organ because I am an Organ Trafficker. Sometime the victim resist, and I have no choice but to commit aggravated assault and/or battery until I can Murder after. Sadly, some die too easily and it become Manslaughter. Larceny and Burglary follows naturally.Thankfully, I am fine with Animal cruelty which I harvest their organ and whatever for alchemy and it's totally legal. I do enjoy Vehicular homicide with a Grand Theft-ed Silt Striders on my targets, but Arson does it better when the client don't need evidence.

On a less bloody side of my history, Tax/Rent evasion saves me so much septims that it's worth doing it. This obviously require Frund.

What got me caught was Treason for killing a royalty. I swear his mother pay me to do it, but she disposed me as her evidence with all sort of other charges like:
- Vandalism and destruction of the Palace, which I only did one part of it.
- Sexual Assault and Kidnapping the King's mother even though she is what? 90?
- She even goes as far as to stack more crime during the court with Obstruction of justice and Perjury while I am gagged through the whole thing with the corrupted judge!

quote:

D: A Claymore. A huge, two-handed sword. Versions exist in every culture, and while it is uncommon among redguards, it has been favored by a few ansei and sword-singers. Favors strength and power, and has the advantage of reach compared to many other swords. Difficult to parry with.
H(addon): But i also manifest a shortsword in my offhand, as i am trained in and prefer the two-weapon techniques of the way of the sword. These are unorthodox, but the way of the sword nevertheless teaches its followers to use every grip and stroke known to man, including those that require two weapons. Cannot be added to A or G.
Ha(addon): As H, but it’s a gladius.
Hab. I actually use the shortsword with one of my leg because why stop at two-weapon?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 21, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
E: If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If it is nailed down, I have a crowbar.

DH: I dual-wield a two-handed Claymore and a short sword. No, really.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B
BH

We were all sorts of pickpocket, burglar and sneak-thief; eventually we were the muscle for a pack of con artists. We acted the militaristic noble investor to their upscale merchant dealers. Everyone had a good spectrum of skills but we all specialized.

Think Jean from the Gentleman Bastards series.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
A, though there were times when I was deeply tempted by Frund.
B; I especially like the line about how it favors nothing but the skill of its wielder.

I'd just like to say that this is a wrongvote, and I am a wrongvoter, because I am not just saying "Plan Nyaa" at every opportunity. Like, holy poo poo, this game would be going places if we had all just bandwagoned on Nyaa.

But no, I am a wrongvoter.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C AHa, EDIT: but IHc if the khopesh is a thing (the backup is also a khopesh).

The gently caress, Nyaa.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

BIHa
I manifest a blade alright, however it's not attached to a sword handle, but a pole arm. I have summoned a War Scythe. The war scythe offers me superior reach and more defensive utility, but while I have of course received some training in pole arms, it's nowhere near as much as I've been trained in sword fighting. I will have to adapt what fighting styles I can over time.
Additionally I have a Khopesh hanging from my belt as a close range backup weapon.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 21, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
D- Besides the small time crimes that every street kid did like pick pocketing and taking items from the market, I was also a skooma smuggler. I got into it because I was tricked by a teenager into carrying the goods when he was on the run from the guards. I got away and he didn't, so I got the payout instead. I kept it up for the cash, but once I was brought into the martial halls, it wasn't needed anymore.

dont be mean to me posted:

C AHa, EDIT: but IHc if the khopesh is a thing (the backup is also a khopesh).

The gently caress, Nyaa.

+1 to Khopesh and WTF Nyaa. If we can't do a khopesh then I would vote for E because Cutlasses are great and piratey

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
D We've done some skooma smuggling.
A Warriors from Hammerfell have curved swords. Curved. Swords.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

BB. Call the one true ideal of a sword that all other swords imitate.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

For the record, kopesh do exist, and are a very valid vote. The are a merrish invention, and according to redguard lore, invented by the Left-handed elves of yokuda.

However, war-scythes and other polearms are not. You have no formal training in polearms at all, except for how to defend against them with any manner of sword.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

If we wanted a spear we should have started in Morrowind. :downs:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Magnusth posted:

For the record, kopesh do exist, and are a very valid vote. The are a merrish invention, and according to redguard lore, invented by the Left-handed elves of yokuda.

However, war-scythes and other polearms are not. You have no formal training in polearms at all, except for how to defend against them with any manner of sword.

But polearms are the best! :colbert:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

BB

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

If you want the longest sword...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
E - HAIL SITHIS

A

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A
F, of course.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
1. B
2. E

Petty crime and a cutlass and all we're missing is a ship before we're a pirate. Could be fun to go on a voyage, touring and pillaging the other continents of Nirn, bringing strange treasures back to the shores of Tamriel.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Kristopher posted:

1. B
2. E

Petty crime and a cutlass and all we're missing is a ship before we're a pirate. Could be fun to go on a voyage, touring and pillaging the other continents of Nirn, bringing strange treasures back to the shores of Tamriel.

I can see the kerfuffle now. The first Sword Saint in generations pops up and turns out they're a drat pirate. Letters of marque would be heaped upon us I imagine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BG

Fun fact, "daikatana" is a misreading of the characters for daito, which is a term meaning long sword, which what we call katana actually fall under. The two-handed extra-long analog is called an odachi, or great sword, and unlike twohanders from the west, they were almost purely decorative thanks to how fragile they were. The horse cutting thing is as far as anybody can tell a tall tale.

But these limitations mean nothing to a magic laser sword from The Heart. Unleash your inner hanzo steel!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xarbala posted:

unlike twohanders from the west, they were almost purely decorative thanks to how fragile they were

And here I thought you needed late-night tv shopping channels to blow fifty grand on a late-night tv sword.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C
A Changed, see next post

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 22, 2018

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Blasphemaster posted:

I can see the kerfuffle now. The first Sword Saint in generations pops up and turns out they're a drat pirate. Letters of marque would be heaped upon us I imagine.

So if we end up talented enough, we won't have to hunt plunder, but can have it sent directly to us?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Kristopher posted:

So if we end up talented enough, we won't have to hunt plunder, but can have it sent directly to us?

Nah, we'd just be able to go murder folks foe their shinies within the boundaries of the law. Sword Saint Privateer sounds pretty awesome.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
CD

although everyone knows that claymores were not brutish or slow and were actually p good with defense too. even tho they were like seven foot long they only weighed like 5-6 pounds. part of two handin' is having more dexterity than one hand can give cause you change grips and poo poo like that. that's the maximum bitchin I'm gonna do tho cause it's fuckin elder scrolls

lol nyaa

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

E - HAIL SITHIS

A

+1 also wtf nyaa :stare:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
CB. Lockpicking and pocket-picking are useful should to keep up

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

CD

although everyone knows that claymores were not brutish or slow and were actually p good with defense too. even tho they were like seven foot long they only weighed like 5-6 pounds. part of two handin' is having more dexterity than one hand can give cause you change grips and poo poo like that. that's the maximum bitchin I'm gonna do tho cause it's fuckin elder scrolls

lol nyaa

I was going to point out that Claymores are notoriously hard to carry around all the time until I remembered that we're suddenly just creating one out of nowhere. Claymores are hard to maneuver in anything other than a nice big open area though. We can half-sword for relatively close-quarters though, I suppose.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

BG Only the finest Hanzo steel for a fight wizard.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

For the record, i just want to say that i do appreciate sword-goons and historical fighting goons giving their input. even if i do know that e.g. claymores were sometimes used with wierd grips where you put your hand on the blade, it's actually helpful to be reminded of it so i can give you the coolest options and fight scenes.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

I just remembered.

this is a sword, technically

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually I was wondering if I misremembered, and did some more digging. As it turns out, I was wrong. Odachi were exceedingly difficult to make and fragility in a sword is just a mark of flaws in its construction, and somewhere along the lines I must have conflated the two, thanks in part to the known relative frailty of Japanese swords under sustained stress. There's (admittedly mostly anecdotal) evidence that odachi did see use in combat, though always with the caveat of how impractical it was compared to other weapons--one surviving school of martial arts actually encourages not drawing the sword from its sheath per se, but rather throwing the sheath off the sword! For a long time I thought the lack of non-ceremonial surviving examples was due to their failure as weapons, but in fact this was actually the result of the Tokugawa Shogunate ban on odachi, one of many such restrictions on various weapons during the consolidation of power following the end of the sengoku period. Many of these greatswords were cut down to smaller blades, and it was the ornamental examples that escaped this prohibition due to their non-military purpose.

Still not great against armor, and if used against horses was more likely to be aimed towards the legs rather than the body. The mental image of a sword capable of bisecting horses, however, remains a compelling one. However, as usual, historians don't have enough information to know for sure how common military odachi were, or whether they really were mostly ceremonial/display pieces sometimes put to use as weapons.

There's a reason I usually stay quiet in milhist discussions, I have a mind like a steel sieve. Unnecessarily thick and filled with holes.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The odachi is such a silly weapon.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

paper bag with a face posted:

this is a sword, technically
We can use it as a bow! :v:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was looking up some olde tyme pics about swords and instead I think we need to respec into boatfighting techniques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We might need a narrow down vote for the suggested sword votes.

I will ask to add Buster Sword in that case.

• Locked thread