Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Bombos or fire fire rod are at least needed to access ice palace, so you'll definitely have one or the other. Literally the only thing the ice rod is required for is trinexx, so if you didn't know about it or didn't explore thoroughly, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Frankston posted:

I really, really enjoy roguelites. Should I get Darkest Dungeon? I need something to tide me over till F-Zero Rammers.

Yeah you should. I don't understand half of what's going on but it's fun and grotesquely pretty (not as much as Binding of Isaac which I found too ugly to play overall), and best of all since your heroes are pretty much expendable it's not as stressful as other roguelikes.

The full package is a fair deal since it grants you the Shieldbreaker DLC for free pretty much, and you can choose what you want to run from it (like not the crimson court DLC which supposedly adds a very difficult mode to start off with.)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Frankston posted:

I really, really enjoy roguelites. Should I get Darkest Dungeon? I need something to tide me over till F-Zero Rammers.

Yes, though do bear in mind that confidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miitomo was a mistake

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Just beat Blossom Tales this morning. That was a really fun LA-style game, highly recommended.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, though do bear in mind that confidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah you should. I don't understand half of what's going on but it's fun and grotesquely pretty (not as much as Binding of Isaac which I found too ugly to play overall), and best of all since your heroes are pretty much expendable it's not as stressful as other roguelikes.

The full package is a fair deal since it grants you the Shieldbreaker DLC for free pretty much, and you can choose what you want to run from it (like not the crimson court DLC which supposedly adds a very difficult mode to start off with.)

How's it play docked? I'm usually playing at home on TV and the internet seems to think the UI is too small and the controls are really hard. I wanna get it but not if it's mega frustrating

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Docked it's fine but I definitely agree that a lot of the UI stuff is way too small for me to play it portable comfortably. The UI is very much not designed for a console so takes a fair bit of getting used to but from what I've heard that's something common to all the console versions.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I haven't played Blossom Tale; is there any indication on the boss itself what item is required to beat it?

I think you've only got two items at that point other than your sword and shield. It took me a little bit to figure out but it's very minimal trial and error, it's fine.

The game as a whole started to wear on me by the end, way too much time is spent on block pushing puzzles, floor tracing puzzles, and narrow pathways that fall apart. It doesn't have a lot of puzzle variety.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

How's it play docked? I'm usually playing at home on TV and the internet seems to think the UI is too small and the controls are really hard. I wanna get it but not if it's mega frustrating

Don't know. We've had a guest over for the last few weeks and I haven't had access to the projector. I tend to play undocked as it is, but I'll have to see how it goes there.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

njsykora posted:

Docked it's fine but I definitely agree that a lot of the UI stuff is way too small for me to play it portable comfortably. The UI is very much not designed for a console so takes a fair bit of getting used to but from what I've heard that's something common to all the console versions.

I played it on vita for a while and can confirm that the controls can take a lot of getting used to (vita was worse as you didn't have an l2 or r2 and had to use the unreliable back touchpad)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The control scheme for darkest dungeon was designed by a team of loving idiots. I can only imagine this group of monkeys sitting around a table, flinging poop at each other as the one monkey smart enough to remove the cap of a dry erase marker furiously draws circles and lines on the projector screen

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is Nine Parchments good now? How quickly can you jump in and out of games? I ask this as a dad with little free time (so online is kind of important) and will be playing without friends. :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Is Nine Parchments good now? How quickly can you jump in and out of games? I ask this as a dad with little free time (so online is kind of important) and will be playing without friends. :smith:

Same question, same scenario (hey buddy :hfive:). I’m very close to pulling the trigger on 9P

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The control scheme for darkest dungeon was designed by a team of loving idiots. I can only imagine this group of monkeys sitting around a table, flinging poop at each other as the one monkey smart enough to remove the cap of a dry erase marker furiously draws circles and lines on the projector screen

It's really designed for keyboard and mouse and has always felt cumbersome-at-best on console.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Larrymer posted:

I haven’t played the main game, but I didn’t like the feel of combat in the demo. That doesn’t seem like something that will get fixed in an update.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Argue posted:

Any good horror games?

How about any good (doesn't have to be horror) 20-40 hour games that aren't the famous ones we all know about? Already finished Steamworld Dig 2 and Heist.

I'm not very far into it so I don't know if I'd call it a horror game, but Darkest Dungeon has one of the most oppressive, gloomy atmospheres I've come across in a game. Each run is tense as hell as you watch your guys deteriorate via the stress mechanic and/or just plain hp damage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I got used to it after like 5 minutes, it's actually fine as long as your brain operates above preschool level

ghostwritingduck posted:

I haven’t played the main game, but I didn’t like the feel of combat in the demo. That doesn’t seem like something that will get fixed in an update.

I wish Helldivers would have come to Switch instead

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Currently resisting the temptation to tell my wife to “git gud” re: the Broodal robot fight

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Larrymer posted:

I can't speak for it now, but when I started playing, there were lots of rooms open for people to join. Very easy to jump in and out, though I mostly just played with my friend, and we had people jumping in with us sometimes. Joining rooms is like the traditional internet way where you see lists of rooms and who's playing, rather than algorithmic matchmaking, which is good

It's a good game, I posted about it in this thread before, but it does have some issues. The most common pattern of this game is enemy encounter, beat it, and then walk to the next enemy encounter. But sometimes you'll beat all the enemies and it won't trigger the next event, and you'll be stuck, and have to restart. Fortunately the levels are short, so you can try again and you can figure out how to break the glitch, but it does suck when it happens because it really is a visually stunning game and is otherwise worth your time. Better if you have a friend who's into wizards and poo poo, though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Weedle posted:

Currently resisting the temptation to tell my wife to “git gud” re: the Broodal robot fight

Switch to assist mode when she's not looking

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Reality Loser posted:

Switch to assist mode when she's not looking

She actually just beat it. She has basically no experience with video games so it’s been really cool to watch her go from barely being able to jump in a direction to kicking Bowser’s Castle’s rear end. Thanks Nintendo. Thintendo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

My four year old nephew beat the game and literally just plays the boss combats now.

Getting good at Odyssey doesn't take long at all.

The perfect game of 2017.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

My four year old nephew beat the game and literally just plays the boss combats now.

Getting good at Odyssey doesn't take long at all.

The perfect game of 2017.

I look forward to our son kicking both of our asses at video games in a few years.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Weedle posted:

She actually just beat it. She has basically no experience with video games so it’s been really cool to watch her go from barely being able to jump in a direction to kicking Bowser’s Castle’s rear end. Thanks Nintendo. Thintendo.

Now see if she can do it without taking over an enemy. :twisted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I never play rouge likes and I love it. It’s a turn based rpg without loving anime bs and is made for grownups.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

I look forward to our son kicking both of our asses at video games in a few years.

My greatest fear. :ohdear:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Just a warning for Darkest Dungeon; epic quests you get in the Crimson Court are bugged (at least for some, including me). They are meant to let you leave & continue where you left off later since they are pretty massive, but the game seems to always throw you back at the very beginning which makes them pretty much undoable (at least with my luck).

This means you can't continue the DLC stuff and the crimson curse-meter for your town is stuck at maximum. Fun!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dropbear posted:

Just a warning for Darkest Dungeon; epic quests you get in the Crimson Court are bugged (at least for some, including me). They are meant to let you leave & continue where you left off later since they are pretty massive, but the game seems to always throw you back at the very beginning which makes them pretty much undoable (at least with my luck).

This means you can't continue the DLC stuff and the crimson curse-meter for your town is stuck at maximum. Fun!
Should have summoned back the fire witch to the court of the crimson ki~ing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darkest Dungeon is so hardcore that it injured my wrist in the tutorial :argh:

(Actually I'm sure my wrist pain is unrelated and holding the Switch in handheld mode was just the last straw but goddamn my wrist and forearm hurt and I'm gonna blame Darkest Dungeon)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grievous injury, palpable fear

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

Darkest Dungeon is so hardcore that it injured my wrist in the tutorial :argh:

(Actually I'm sure my wrist pain is unrelated and holding the Switch in handheld mode was just the last straw but goddamn my wrist and forearm hurt and I'm gonna blame Darkest Dungeon)

Torn rotator? That's a trip to the infirmary (or fired).

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BlueberryCanary posted:

There are better games you can spend that money on.

Do you really think you can get $70 worth of enjoyment out of a minigame collection that relies on a cardboard peripheral gimmick?

Nintendo is really just scraping out the bottom of the barrel with this one.

Lol, it costs nothing to produce and it will sell like candies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a Labo thread yet? If not I'll make one tonight just to to contain the Labo chat

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
What do I have to do to get Kirby's Air Ride 2 made for Nintendo Switch?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Aquasnake posted:

What do I have to do to get Kirby's Air Ride 2 made for Nintendo Switch?

Hope and pray. I think it’s possible since Canvas Curse got a sequel.

They should just add Kirby and City Trial to MK8D.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a Labo thread yet? If not I'll make one tonight just to to contain the Labo chat

You're a good guy guy goodbody

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is no containing the Labo chat.
All you can hope for is steering the hype train.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Frankston posted:

Yes though it doesn't have a lot of rogue elements

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah, keep Crimson Court off until you're a good ways into the game. It adds a new dungeon and some time based mechanics that make the game much much much harder if you start with it on from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Had a great time with my Switch. This weekend was filled with Resident Evil Revelations 1 and it's motion control makes it extra tense. Arms had a good event going on. Then messed around with Darkest Dungeon and drove my team mad, I just wish the controls were better laid out and the UI could resize.

• Locked thread