Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kurieg posted:

Well, there was the realization last year that I had spent the previous two and a half years defending the honor of a child molester. And that Beast was exactly what I had feared it was.

That was pretty loving horrifying.

Look all you have to do is post a youtube hitting yourself with a scourge, and the internet will forgive you!

In all seriousness, I did not think Beast could get any more :stonk:, and yet here we are.

EDIT: well, did not intend to start a new page on that note. Uhh...Here's my report on Dragon Mountain: It sucks, use it to run kobold adventures instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

BY THE SKIN OF THEIR TEETH – PART SIX

This loving Guy

The investigators languish in their cell for hours before Mehmet decides to pay them a visit, now cleaned up and smoking a cigar. He's on his full Bond Villain routine here and he has come to gloat. He talks about the whole adventure from his perspective, from the origins of his plan to the reason he picked up the investigators, to how he followed them across Europe and possibly cleaned up their messes along the way. He reveals that there was never any way to destroy the Simulacrum in the Sedefkar Scrolls. He's probably also keen to find out what the deal was with Fenalik, if the investigators are inclined to tell him.

He's absolutely happy to answer any and all questions the investigators might have, up to and including a full description of his motivation. Quite simply, he sees the Skinless One as a tool to be used instead of a god to be worshipped, and wants to succeed where his father failed in presiding over a new world order that he commands with the powers of skin. He will be leaving for England aboard the Orient Express at once – while that's happening, the investigators can look forward to a slow and agonising death. But not from the Brothers of the Skin, oh no.

You see, now that the Simulacrum is complete, the Baleful Influence kicks off in a big way to those attuned to the statue – such as, for example, the investigators who've been carrying the drat thing around for weeks. The Scroll of the Left Hand contains a spell called the Ritual of Cleansing; if they don't perform this every 100 hours, their bodies will warp and mutate until they eventually die. This is what did Fenalik in the first time, way back at Charenton Asylum in Paris. Until then, they can while away the hours talking with Professor Smith, at least until the mutations drive them insane and they eat him alive.

The Marvellous Misadventures of Flapping Man

By now, the Professor has regained consciousness and has been listening to Makryat. He can tell the investigators his side of the story. It's a short one: Mehmet summoned a dimensional shambler which abducted him and took him here, where the Brotherhood treated him as an anonymous donation and have been having fun slowly taking parts off of him. His SAN has taken a beating, but he's not totally gone yet – he still has his Bon Mot 88, for example. :unsmith: In fact, he has a plan to help the investigators escape.

He knows that the Brothers are afraid of a spectre they call the Flapping Man, a vengeful spirit embodying all those who have lost their lives to the cult. They believe he appears at the top of the minaret stairs; if the investigators can fight off the guards when they make their rounds, they could steal a bunch of the skins downstairs and become the Flapping Man. Smith has spent a lifetime studying charlatans and superstitions, and he's sure this plan will work. He expects the team to leave him behind to his fate, but all things considered his situation isn't as bad as it could be. He's still sane, at least. If the investigators decide to take him back with them I'd allow it, though you will need to rewrite the next scenario a bit to accommodate that.

If the investigators want to do this or if they come up with another plan, it'll probably go off without a hitch. Only two guards come to check on the prisoners, one of them holding a knife to the neck of whoever's getting their shackles changed while the other makes sure the released prisoners stay in the corner (it's not clear what they're doing exactly that necessitates this checkup). They could be tricked into believing the Flapping Man is behind them, or they could be beaten up by the strongest investigator, or Professor Smith could even bite onto someone's ankle like an angry dog. From there it's easy to get to the lower floors of the minaret and put on a bunch of skins (after the SAN 0/1D3 and maybe a Disguise roll).

The Brothers buy it, and it will probably be deeply cathartic to chase the panicking cultists around the mosque. But soon their screams become far more terrified than they were before – if the investigator looks behind themselves, they will see an apparition that looks like a flayed man with bulging eyes, wearing a cape of skins. The real Flapping Man (0/1D6 SAN). As long as they don't attack him or they can make it clear they're enemies of the Brotherhood, the investigators have nothing to fear from him. In fact, he gives them a pitying look and a friendly warning before disappearing:

quote:

'This is how many will appear before the task is done. Look well not at the skins, which are the Brothers' to control, but at the hearts beneath, which not even gods can conquer.'

Thanks Flapping Man! That was actually pretty cool. I'm feeling pretty pumped to go kill Mehmet now, actually.

The book says that the investigators don't deserve getting any SAN for completing the scenario since they lost, but come the gently caress on. In addition, destroying each Flesh Thing gets 1D6 SAN while putting down the Skin Beast is 1D8 SAN on the outside chance they pull that off. Rescuing the children is worth 1D6 SAN while rescuing or mercy-killing Smith is 1D3 SAN. In addition, if they found his kid they now have the British Deputy High Commissioner as their ally. He's willing to help fund the trip back to England if they've run out of money.

Alternatively…

Way back in the first scenario, I mentioned an alternative plot for the campaign where Mehmet doesn't replace Smith. If you don't wanna use the plot twist in the Constantinople, then the book provides an alternate climax that sees the main campaign resolved there. I think the climactic scenario Blue Train, Black Night definitely makes up for the shoddiness of By the Skin of Their Teeth but you know, it's up to you.

For the alternative ending, there really is a Ritual of Ending in the Sedefkar Scrolls that will destroy the assembled Simulacrum. Professor Smith really is recovering in hidden location in the British countryside. Selim is still Selim, but Mehmet in this version of events is not a heretic – this is probably the only thing I don't really like about this ending, since that gets rid of the main hook for Mehmet and means that his whole triple suicide thing was pointless. When the investigators get to Constantinople, everything plays out much the same up to the escape from the Skin Beast.

The climax revolves around the investigators finding a way to interrupt Selim's apotheosis – possibly by siccing the British army on them – while they quickly cast the Ritual of Ending. This takes seven rounds and requires them to make constant tests as the Simulacrum resists and they are assailed by cultists. As the casting progresses, investigators gradually suffer stronger effects related to the Baleful Influence, including actually losing control over whichever part they're connected to. If they can survive a final attack from the Skinless One himself, then the Simulacrum explodes – possibly triggering similar effects in the investigators if they roll badly. Across Constantinople and elsewhere, Brothers die where they stand as they lose the magic of skin, their stolen organs rotting in their bodies.

So it's pretty rad! Definitely a solid way to end the campaign if you prefer it that way or you wanna shave off a couple of scenarios. Or if, like me, you hate By the Skin of Their Teeth.

Next time: the long way home!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I forward the motion of attaching one of the Matt writeups to the FnF of Beats.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kurieg posted:

Well, there was the realization last year that I had spent the previous two and a half years defending the honor of a child molester. And that Beast was exactly what I had feared it was.

That was pretty loving horrifying.

But could you quantify this in terms of SAN damage, please?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Devoted Spirit

a stance that lets you ignore the 5-foot step and withdrawl when making attacks of opportunity, because all squares next to you are considered threatened.

You already mentioned this, Thicket of Blades, but I also wanted to give a special shout-out to the first stance in Devoted Spirit: Iron Guard's Glare, which imposes a -4 attack roll penalty on any enemy you threaten, if they make an attack roll against your allies.

Thicket of Blades and Iron Guard's Glare are important because they would later form the foundation of tanking in 4th Edition, with the Fighter's Combat Challenge ability being a combination of the two.

A 4th Edition Fighter that attacks a target can Mark them, and a Marked target not only takes an attack roll penalty if they make an attack that doesn't include the Fighter that Marked them (similar to Iron Guard's Glare), but a Marked target that tries to Shift away from the Fighter will trigger a Basic Attack from the Fighter (similar to Thicket of Blades).

When you got to 4th Edition's Essentials, the Knight subclass of the Fighter makes the comparison even more explicit, with Defender Aura casting a 1-square radius of the attack roll penalty and the Shifting-still-triggers-an-attack effects.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Step 1: put a bunch of old hides on a bunch of cats and have the cats meow mournfully to pretend to be the Flapping Man.
Step 2: a tidal wave of kittens carefully scoop up Professor Smith and carry him to safety on a carpet made of purrs, helping alleviate his unfortunate condition of self.
Step 3: an armada of angry kittens flay the worshipers of the Skinless One alive in a scene of poetic dramatic irony.
Step 4: everyone goes back to London and opens the world's first cat cafe while the PCs figure out how to solve their curses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Obligatum VII posted:

But could you quantify this in terms of SAN damage, please?

:what:

Fine, for clarity's sake I'll stop being coy about this.

I'm pretty sure I've alluded to this either in this thread or the White Wolf thread, but I was molested as a child. It took me a very long time to come to grips with what happened to me, and even longer until I felt safe enough to tell anyone about it. I can remember it very vividly, I can remember where he lived, I can remember what he looked like, I can remember the ploy he used to convince me that it was okay.

Most importantly I can remember feeling like it was my fault, that I had done something wrong to deserve it. The way the text is worded in Beast, the way feeding is described, is exactly how I felt. Beasts break people down, they only feed when a person loses a point of integrity, becomes that much less sure of who they are. Beasts justify this to themselves by thinking that they've earned the right to do this, that their victims deserve it. Even better if they can 'teach' their victims that they deserve it. Thus perpetuating a cycle of violence that ranges far beyond the Beast's own influence.

At first I wrote it off, it wouldn't be the first time a writer blindly stumbles into something very real when they're writing fantasy. I begged Matt to listen to feedback when we did our podcast review of the Kickstarter copy. I trusted that the man who wrote Demon, who wrote Heirs to Hell, would listen to reason. Because that person clearly wouldn't intentionally describe rape victims as deviants who deserve what happened to them.

So yes, when I found out that Matt molested someone it brought me back to that basement.

It was easily the low point of my year, if not the decade.

So 3d1000 or something. gently caress off.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Most importantly I can remember feeling like it was my fault, that I had done something wrong to deserve it. The way the text is worded in Beast, the way feeding is described, is exactly how I felt. Beasts break people down, they only feed when a person loses a point of integrity, becomes that much less sure of who they are. Beasts justify this to themselves by thinking that they've earned the right to do this, that their victims deserve it. Even better if they can 'teach' their victims that they deserve it. Thus perpetuating a cycle of violence that ranges far beyond the Beast's own influence.

Well, this isn't Weinstein spending so much money on coverups that he couldn't pay alimony, but the game just plunged into some deeper depths :stare:

I'm so sorry, Kurieg.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kurieg posted:

Ah, my apologies, I was just making a dumb joke because of all the Horrient stuff in the thread recently, wasn't trying to touch a nerve.

Edit: It was rather tasteless in retrospect even without the additional context. I really am sorry.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 21, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

Well, this isn't Weinstein spending so much money on coverups that he couldn't pay alimony, but the game just plunged into some deeper depths :stare:

I'm so sorry, Kurieg.

Thank you. And yes the book goes into rather explicit detail about it, which is why the fact that he changed Heroes to "Dudes who just hang around and are super pissed off about how big Beast's Dicks Are" from "People who were broken down by Beasts to the point that they were drawn into their narrative and have abandoned everything that they were in the pursuit of their destruction". Because the former is easily the weakest antagonist splat in any game. And the latter is the closest thing the game ever got to victim empowerment and saying that Beasts might not be the good guys.

Obligatum VII posted:

Ah, my apologies, I was just making a dumb joke because of all the Horrient stuff in the thread recently, wasn't trying to touch a nerve.

Edit: It was rather tasteless in retrospect even without the additional context. I really am sorry.

I apologize for blowing up on you. Beast picks on a very old wound for me, and Matt's been a very prolific writer for WW/OPP. Part of me wishes he got openly named and shamed but enough people in the right places know what happened so I'm hoping he doesn't get to dump his fetishes on people anymore, at the very least.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
This feels like both a very apt and very grim time to mention that I'm a little over halfway through Powerchords and I have no less than five things that have deeply unsettled me. I was completely right to take this approach. This review will have a list of content warnings and I legit will probably be posting some excerpts in flagged spoiler tag blocks. I'll probably be mentioning this in the review a few times but, unlike Changing Breeds, Brucato is the only credited writer this time. So, while in Breeds I had to approach each writer's contributions individually while looking to Brucato as an influencing developer, this book is all him, with a very, very permissive editor. This is going to make my critique considerably more...focused.

Yes, "the inevitable bit about groupies" is one of the bad bits, before you ask again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Jesus Christ. I'm so sorry, Kurieg.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah I been listening to Daeren howl in anguish and been doing some howling myself and uh it's gonna be real funny and full of really patronizingly hippie white dude bullshit until it super isn't. You're gonna need to listen to them warnings.

Motherfucker missed the entire goddamn point of the book Reservation Blues, which is fitting for Phil Brucato, but he must've stopped reading like halfway through the loving book when he found the quotes he wanted to use from it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

This feels like both a very apt and very grim time to mention that I'm a little over halfway through Powerchords and I have no less than five things that have deeply unsettled me. I was completely right to take this approach. This review will have a list of content warnings and I legit will probably be posting some excerpts in flagged spoiler tag blocks. I'll probably be mentioning this in the review a few times but, unlike Changing Breeds, Brucato is the only credited writer this time. So, while in Breeds I had to approach each writer's contributions individually while looking to Brucato as an influencing developer, this book is all him, with a very, very permissive editor. This is going to make my critique considerably more...focused.

Yes, "the inevitable bit about groupies" is one of the bad bits, before you ask again.

Bieeardo posted:

Jesus Christ. I'm so sorry, Kurieg.
Thanks. I've cooled down enough now at least that I'm gonna go to sleep.
Definitely shouldn't have checked this thread last thing before going to bed

Hostile V posted:

He must've stopped reading like halfway through the loving book when he found the quotes he wanted to use from it.
That seems to happen a lot in the "hippy love magick" books. Tribebook: CoGR and Changing Breeds pull the same trick... in fact I'm pretty sure all the books Comer and Brucato wrote pull that trick.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

By Matthew Gwinn

Creating A Promotion, Or, If Billy Corgan Can Do It So Can You

I honestly feel this should come a lot earlier in the book. What kind of promotion you’ve got will have an effect on what kind of roster you have, what characters would fit best, the promoter you have in charge, etc. It’s the sort of thing where you need to have players and GM on the same page.

Wrestling Promotions have three traits: Production, Resources, and Facilities/Staff. Production gets used at various points during The Show (as mentioned earlier), Facilities/Staff is used to help your wrestlers improve their stats, and Resources represents your overall financial situation and, among other things, helps determine the size of your roster. The average indie promotion- and again it’s sort of implied that’s your default game- gets 12 points to divide among these three traits. “Players may decide” to have more or less starting out- a promotion on the verge of bankruptcy may have 4, a huge multi-million WWF-at-its-height deal might have 50 or 100. Or so the game says- I mean that gets you an average of around 16 or 33 dice in each Trait and who wants to roll that? I’d make it 24, maybe, for a big global company- you can pretty much max out your stats on that.

Once the stats have been set, you and the other players go about determining the Roster. A wrestling company may have a roster with combined Heat equal to 100 times its Resources Trait. It recommends that you have at least one of each character type (wrestlers, managers, valets, interviewers, and commentators) but the bulk should be wrestlers. So I guess the idea is you make a poo poo ton of characters (and it is very fast) and together the players decide what characters to officially sign. It suggests a couple of methods, one where players take turns selecting wrestlers, another where they pick a bunch and vote on them until the roster is filled. The game recommends getting as close to your Heat limit as possible- any excess is lost after finalizing, so have a few low Heat guys in there at the end. For this selection process, characters with 0 Heat are considered to have 1. (Phantom Heat isn’t talked about here but I assume it’s counted as part of the cost.)

It seems like this would take up the most time- totaling up Heat points can be a pain- but I do like the idea that you can leave some characters unsigned, possibly to pop up later. Still, considering that the average starting score for Resources will be 4, you got 400 Heat’s worth of wrestlers to buy, and a starting wrestler only has 5 Heat. Of course you’ll have some Experienced Wrestlers too, but my point is, rosters get big.

A promotion’s own total Heat is determined by adding the average Heat of your roster (this… could be hard to total up, I would honestly break out the spreadsheets) to the Production Trait. It’s very hard to determine what this will be on average, but there are benchmarks. Heat of 1-19 means you’re Unknown- only a few people know you exist and your shows can only be watched on the Internet. 20-49 is Local, you’re popular in the immediate area and you have a public access show. 50-99 is Syndicated, you’re known throughout the state and have a show on the “local” cable station (I’m not sure what they mean here). 100+ is National, you have a cable show.

It seems to me most promotions will start Unknown(because most of your wrestlers will be starting wrestlers with 15 or less Heat) and the description seems more suited to a REALLY small backyard federation (more on that anon), rather than just an indie fed, but the flavor text doesn’t really determine anything. In fact the entire scale seems a bit off, there’s no national vs. global, etc. I might bump everything up a level, or just make it more granular.

The book then devotes a page each to three special types of promotions. The first- Backyard Wrestling! This section even contains a little disclaimer about how, while the game depicts this because it’s a notable part of the wrestling world, they do not endorse such practices and you shouldn’t try this at home, etc. Backyard feds start with 4 points for Traits, wrestlers only get 5 points for theirs, and as the section notes, most backyard wrestlers are teenagers- the “Limited Availability” may mean they have a curfew. If a backyard fed isn’t being run to make money (and most aren’t), then they may have any number of wrestlers on their “staff”. The section also reminds you that wrestlers can’t advance their Traits beyond the Facilities/Staff Trait of the promotion, which will be on average 1. Really a backyard fed is going nowhere fast and it feels like this section is there because Gwinn felt it had to be. The thing about backyard wrestling is it’s sort of a weird painful form of LARPing to begin with, people don’t think this is their ticket to fame and fortune, so maybe making it nearly impossible to advance makes sense.

After that is Wrestling Schools. A few wrestling schools around the country are big enough to hold their own monthly or even weekly shows, which lets their students get used to working in front of an audience. A wrestling school gets 12 points for Traits (with the expectation that you’ll sink most of that into Facilities/Staff), and doesn’t use Resources to determine its Roster. Rather, each player is encouraged to select one experienced wrestler as a trainer, and up to 4 student wrestlers. As defined way back in chargen (but restated here) student wrestlers begin with only 6 points for Traits. To be a Trainer, a wrestler has to have at least one Trait that’s equal to or greater than the Promotion’s Facilities/Staff Trait. A school has to have a Trainer with Wrestling ≥ the Facilities/Staff Trait, and one with Work Rate ≥ the Facilities Staff Trait, or they can both be the same character.

Wrestling Schools also have a mechanic for “graduation”. Graduation requirements are chosen by the players, but the suggestion is for a character to have Wrestling and Work Rate Traits at 2 or higher. (Possibly adding Mic Skils.) Requirements can’t be higher than the Facilities/Staff Trait. Schools have a typical training period of two to six months, and after that time you determine who’s eligible for graduation. For each student that graduates, the promotion receives a number of Advancement Points equal to their combined Wrestling and Work Rate traits. It’s said that most promotions don’t get TV deals and have trouble with Heat because of the high turnover. Still, this seems like an interesting campaign model- there’s clear room for advancement and you can try out a bunch of characters.

Then there are Developmental Promotions, which the game defines as a step above Wrestling Schools. These are small indy promotions owned by larger promotions, which use them to further train wrestlers and basically have a talent pool to choose from for their main roster. The best example of this right now is NXT, which is WWE’s developmental program- they have shows they shoot at Full Sail University which air on the WWE Network, and actually have a bit of a cult following because they don’t get micromanaged as much as the main roster, but at any time anyone from there can be called up to the big leagues. (And sometimes wrestlers who’ve been having trouble on the main roster get sent down there to refine their skills.) The WWE have actually gone through a few before this, and set up contracts with indy promotions to use them as developmentals.

Developmental feds start with the Developmental Territory Asset, which gives them 1 extra point in Resources for each time it’s taken. Most characters will be Starting Wrestlers, with a few folks sent down from the parent promotion. These Visiting Wrestlers are considered to have 1 higher Clout than their actual Trait. A Wrestler whose Heat reaches 100 or gets their Wrestling or Mic Skills Trait to 5 or higher will typically be offered a contract by the parent promotion (as always, Booker’s discretion.) The promotion may require a tryout match, or they may act sooner if the Wrestler has Assets like “Born into the Business”, “Friends in High Places,” etc. Developmental promotions can get Heat and have TV deals and so on, there’s no problem there. If a Developmental promotion severs its contract with its parent (usually the result of the latter having financial difficulties), they lose the “Developmental Territory” Asset(s), and the Resource gain from it.

And this is looking like a long-rear end post, so Next Time we delve into Assets, Flaws, and Advancement! Getting close to the end, folks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurieg posted:

So yeah, the reason why Beasts are written as hyper woke rapists? Because it was written by a rapist who desperately wants people to think he's actually a woke ally.

There's been kind of a pattern of seemingly everyone who'd describe themselves as a 'woke ally' turning out to be a rapist or sex pest to some degree.

I dunno where the 'Protocols of the Elders of Zion' part comes into it though.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's been kind of a pattern of seemingly everyone who'd describe themselves as a 'woke ally' turning out to be a rapist or sex pest to some degree.

It's one of those things where if you have to describe yourself as it, you really aren't.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

If the past few months taught me anything, it's that virtue signalling is a very real thing that people need to be more suspicious of.

On less serious subjects, how exhaustive is the alternative finale for Horrient? Because it sounds it still suffers from some of the railroading in Skin of their Teeth the default.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Kavak posted:

On less serious subjects, how exhaustive is the alternative finale for Horrient? Because it sounds it still suffers from some of the railroading in Skin of their Teeth the default.

Not very exhaustive, will probably require some rewriting of the scenario. It's pretty much just details for the Ritual of Ending - anything else is between you and your players. So you'll need to put in some elbow grease, but I like that the writers provided the option!

Total Party Kill has some pretty rad suggestions for rewriting the scenario that I'm definitely going to consider if I ever get to running Horrient.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That there is a pro-click for anyone who haven't decided to scrap the whole temple scenario.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is helpful, thanks! I'm pretty sure the miniseries was, as it were, non-canon, anyway, given it altered some fundamental stuff, like the Code.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like how one of the suggestions in the blog is 'give PCs a couple Warhammer Fate Points if you want them to survive so they can develop a single PC'.

Extra Lives and 'turn in this coupon for a skin of your teeth survival' mechanics are a good way to get players to take risks, I think.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The one use of fate points I remember was my character being launched from the battlefield and sailing gracefully through the air straight into the warhams equivilent of an intensive care unit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

senrath posted:

It's one of those things where if you have to describe yourself as it, you really aren't.

I avoid this pittfall by not considering myself woke and grumbling that the true Allies had a lot more tanks to fight Third Reich with!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Inescapable Duck posted:

That was just my observation that because Beast so desperately tries to code its "protagonists" as LGBT, that if this had instead been written by someone openly alt-right as an attempt to demonize that community it would have made a lot more sense.

Then I found out about the for-real rape, and, well :yikes:

Sorry for dumb jokes Kurieg

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Matt McFarland, AKA Black Hat Matt, was a freelance writer for White Wolf, and later Onyx Path Publishing. He and Rose created Demon the Descent in 2014 and it was incredibly well received. After Demon was released Matt pitched his idea for Beast: the Primordial, the elevator pitch is "You're a person with the soul of an ancient monster, like a dragon, or a gorgon." and given his tenure on Demon people were pretty optimistic. The Kickstarter draft came out and Beasts were actually incredibly petty, very rapey, did not actually transform into dragons or gorgons, and were coded as LGBT/Minorities. Also they exude what we have dubbed the "Poochy field" that makes all the other supernaturals love them. This wouldn't be too bad except for their enemies were also rather obviously themed as gamergaters, MRAs, and white supremacists. To the point that Matt straight up compared his detractors to MRAs. A press release promised that they'd fix the wording in the actual release.

The actual release came out, it had incredibly weak justifications for what Beasts do, and only the most superficial changes. Then when you got to the Storyteller chapter the sidebars straight up say that all the changed poo poo are 'lies' and that Beasts are actually super awesome and justified and everyone loves them for being the awesome woke hell rapists that they are. The subsequent releases for Beast varied in quality depending on the author, raging from people rightly making GBS threads on beasts for not being open with who and what they are, or polishing Beast's knob so hard their lips fell off.

Then a few months ago during the wave of women coming out and admitting that they had been raped, it came out that Matt raped someone roughly 10 years ago. He did not contest the claims, willingly stepped down as a moderator on RPG.net, then RPG.net banned him and OPP Quietly cut ties.

So yeah, the reason why Beasts are written as hyper woke rapists? Because it was written by a rapist who desperately wants people to think he's actually a woke ally.

Please, please tell me that whoever the license holders for the World Of Darkness booted his rear end and have discontinued Beast. I mean, those elements are ingrained into the system and it wasn't that popular to be begin with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Please, please tell me that whoever the license holders for the World Of Darkness booted his rear end and have discontinued Beast. I mean, those elements are ingrained into the system and it wasn't that popular to be begin with.

That would be the aformentioned OPP that quietly cut ties with him. I think they still have some obligations to publish Beast Books out of the kickstarter, but they'll probably put someone like Dave in charge and Dave's vision of Beast is basically the polar opposite of Matt's.

The short story where a Beast gets clowned on by a Changing Breed Feral while a mage systematically tears apart their web of self justification and lies was written by Dave.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They should just go back and excise Beast. There's no point to it existing because let's face it, there's nothing you can tell with it that you can't tell better with one of the eighty other supernatural villains stomping all over each other's toes in the WoD as it is. They're just shittier vampires with more power and some otherkin flavoring written by a bad person who thought being a horrifying creature that 'teaches lessons' was cool and good instead of parasitic and evil.

Like, going back and making it clear they're awful monsters is fine, but it kind of reminds me of a meta version of trying to spec to kill off a problem character rather than handling it OOC.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

That seems to happen a lot in the "hippy love magick" books. Tribebook: CoGR and Changing Breeds pull the same trick... in fact I'm pretty sure all the books Comer and Brucato wrote pull that trick.

Ethan Skemp earned some admiration from me when he took full responsibility for letting CoG Revised slip through.* He just wasn't paying attention or similar, as I recall.

*More 'violently murdered the guards and escaped over the wall' really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What happened in the CoG revised book? I don't remember anything about that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

What happened in the CoG revised book? I don't remember anything about that.

There's a review of it up on the FATAL and Friends compilation site, written by our very own Kurieg.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

There's a review of it up on the FATAL and Friends compilation site, written by our very own Kurieg.
Oh, cool. I can never remember what's been reviewed or not. Let's look up the ol' archive here and

quote:

Jesus may or may not be a werewolf.
...ah.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah I remember that mst3k episode.
it was very bland.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

They had basically a feral werewolf and a human in a sexual relationship, the former is shown to prefer staying in wolf form. Given that Changing Breeds sidebar...

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Thank you very, very, very much. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me forgive the internet. Here are some things that due entirely to you I have either learned or remembered:

-Lee Crabb acquires a giant mechanical crab. For the second time.
-The vast, vast majority of James Gurney notes are just him creating/adapting something like ~40 colloquialisms ('getting up with the struthies' 'talking like a windmill' 'smoke salesman' 'in the horsetails').
-The best name is probably Grokle or Mujo Doon. Unless it's Stinktooth actually it's Lee Crabb. For geographic locations: Wimple Springs.
-I vaguely recalled Outer Island being home to one of the later books that was probably the closest thing Dinotopia could get to a juvenile-fiction horror story/Jurassic Park homage, and now it turns out there was a whole other earlier book set there that I never heard of.
-Lee Crabb goes from being a villain in a children's book to helpfully pretending to be a villain in a children's book.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I'm just skimming this and I'd forgotten how much Wierd Sex Stuff happened in the back half of the oWoD.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

They had basically a feral werewolf and a human in a sexual relationship, the former is shown to prefer staying in wolf form. Given that Changing Breeds sidebar...

Different authors.

They're only depicted as uhh.. doing.. in human form. But the wolf also has this dumb line about how he has lots of sex with female wolves to procreate the species, but that's just mating. What they're doing is love.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Onyx Path isn't going to discontinue Beast officially, but I'd be prepared to bet that once they finish whatever books were already in the pipeline, it won't get anything new ever.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I hope they just start making a lot of the prose in the new lines all about hunting and loving with beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You know, the talk of Beast got me to re-read the review and given they were developed by the same person, I'd love to know why Beasts have such a hate-boner for Demons.