Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Season 2 rules, it's just different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

How Simpsons ever took off given how it started is honestly one of the greatest mysteries of life. The show was honestly pretty awful in nearly every aspect in its first season (and second too, mostly).

Wasn’t Fox a fledgling network in need of content at the time?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr Interweb posted:

How Simpsons ever took off given how it started is honestly one of the greatest mysteries of life. The show was honestly pretty awful in nearly every aspect in its first season (and second too, mostly).

It was a prime time cartoon, spun off from an already popular live action show, in an era where there weren't that many prime time cartoons, with jokes only adults would get as well as a rude kid character that burgeoning '90s kids could relate to

In other words, being a big fish in a small pond probably played no small part in its success

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wasn’t Fox a fledgling network in need of content at the time?

Also this, the Fox network was only 3-4 years old at the time

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 17, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Having gone back and watched the first two seasons recentkt, it is pretty shocking what a different show it was, even compared to seasons 3-4.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bart is actually older than Homer was at the start of the series now .

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When the Simpsons started, it was actually pretty subversive, basically counter-culture compared to the sitcoms of the 80s where everyone loved each other and nothing went wrong.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Season 1 is still way too earnest for its own good and there's good jokes, but the pacing of them is super off and slow compared even to like season 2. Also, that first season (Bart the Genius especially) is obsessed with putting realistic foley sounds like footsteps/thumping/etc everywhere instead of just using more background music and it's fuckin maddening to listen to.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

The crazy thing is that season 2 of Los Simpsons had the highest ratings of the entire show. During the seasons that most fans consider the show's prime it was nestled several dozen Nielsen rankings down from the highest rated shows.

Waffleman_ posted:

When the Simpsons started, it was actually pretty subversive, basically counter-culture compared to the sitcoms of the 80s where everyone loved each other and nothing went wrong.

Now it's downright quaint. They go to church and they all watch TV together. On the same screen!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

I know a few churchy types that were told by their parents that Bart Simpson would send them evil Satan messages and that's why they couldn't watch it.
Bart was really, oddly, a breakout popular character.

So in addition to being Flintstones with Jaundice it had a Married with Children vibe going for it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Bart in the merchandise and Bart in the show were like completely different characters, I can see how oblivious parents migt be turned off by the yellow cartoon boy on tshirts telling their children to be underachievers and eat pants.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The crazy thing is that season 2 of Los Simpsons had the highest ratings of the entire show. During the seasons that most fans consider the show's prime it was nestled several dozen Nielsen rankings down from the highest rated shows.

Now it's downright quaint. They go to church and they all watch TV together. On the same screen!

It went from counter-culture to pop culture to just culture and it's fascinating to see.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

It went from counter-culture to pop culture to just culture and it's fascinating to see.

I'd say it made it to pop culture by season 2 or 3, whenever it was they started making music videos and hanging out with celebrities.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Guy Mann posted:

In fairness, that's mainly because (As I'm sure you know) Fox switched the timeslot from Sundays (Where it was highly successful) to Thursdays, directly opposite the Cosby show and other stiff competition.

Network fuckery, network fuckery never changes

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

raditts posted:

I'd say it made it to pop culture by season 2 or 3, whenever it was they started making music videos and hanging out with celebrities.

Even though Season 2 had appearances by the likes of Ringo Starr, James Earl Jones, and Tony Bennett, I wanna say Season 3 is when the celebrity guest stars became a signature of the show, with just-a-little-past-his-prime Michael Jackson in the season opener.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The move to opposite Cosby is also why Dr Hibbert started being a more direct Cosby parody, with the sweaters and the vaguely Phyllicia Rashad-ish wife.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pakled posted:

Even though Season 2 had appearances by the likes of Ringo Starr, James Earl Jones, and Tony Bennett, I wanna say Season 3 is when the celebrity guest stars became a signature of the show, with just-a-little-past-his-prime Michael Jackson in the season opener.

And of course you can't forget the baseball episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJHDiO8Fr0

It's insane to think that some of those guys are now more popular for having been guest stars on that episode than they are for having been major league baseball players.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I ordered the Over the Garden Wall artbook and holy poo poo it is so good you guys

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started watching Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated today as I heard it's one of the better Scooby-Doo series. So far it's okay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I ordered the Over the Garden Wall artbook and holy poo poo it is so good you guys

I bought both the Over the Garden Wall artbook and the Steven Universe artbook. As gifts. For my sister, because it's hard to find things that she would like that I understand enough to know they're good.

I barely got to look at them :smith:.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

I started watching Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated today as I heard it's one of the better Scooby-Doo series. So far it's okay.

What's your favorite Scooby Doo series?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I realised how many layers there were to Rocko's Modern Life towards the end of season 3 -

I realised that the world it lays out is a strange one - and realised why as well.

Most stories with cartoon animals have two styles - animals acting as people (Ren and Stimpy, Father of The Pride etc) or animals acting as animals but given a human voice (Animals of Farthing Wood, Watership Down) - however Zootopia and Rocko both strike a compromise - in Zootopia they used to act like wild animals but civilised over time and stopped eating each other. Zootopia was one, and is now the other.

However, Rocko combines them. Heffer's parents adopted him with the intention of eating him but grew to love him as their own son, the Bigheads eat sapient insects who are characters in their own right but are still treated as mindless insects, the Chokey Chicken hires chickens to work there and promptly kills them for their meals, with the hiring manager himself being a chicken, selling out his own kind without a single twinge of guilt. The reason: Capitalism run amock, a literal dog-eat-dog world. Everyone stepping on each other and literally devouring each other to survive because that's what the society encourages. Certainly it has jokes about corporations, like the mall in the centre of a national park and the "campsite" that is just a paved over trailer park, but the greatest joke it tells is right at it's core - the world of O-Town is a nasty place where Virginia Woolfe would either eat you or serve you a meal in equal likelihood, depending on what her family needed at the time, which the episode An Elk for Heffer brought into sharp focus. Even Rocko, the kindest inhabitant of O-Town by far, is still pushed to satisfy his darker urges by this city built on competition above all else.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
so basically you're saying it's like Kevin and Kell but less messed up

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

so basically you're saying it's like Kevin and Kell but less messed up

More "Using how messed up it is to make a point."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Flipping through stuff when I woke up, the bad new Ben 10 was on so I looked at it for a bit and man, that show just has nothing going for it. The backgrounds are these fairly nice like illustrated book looking styles at least, but then there's the doughy flat characters plastered over the top of it who clash really hard, who're still pretty bland or badly animated a lot of the time, plus there were a bunch of bits where they kind of hung on a shot for what felt like a few seconds too long each time for whatever reason, padding I guess?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TIL many of the people behind Unikitty were among the people behind Dick Figures

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mr Interweb posted:

What's your favorite Scooby Doo series?

I don't know. I remember watching a few episodes from the original series, the long episodes featuring celebrity guest stars, and Scrappy Doo, but I don't remember them that well. The 13 Ghosts series was different for having real monsters instead of people in disguises. In fact, there were a few TV movies featuring classic monsters, like the one with the treasure hunt and 3 ghosts, the Ghoul School, and the wacky races one where Shaggy was a werewolf. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was cute. The last thing I can remember watching was 4 animated movies, the first had zombies, the second a witch's ghost, the third aliens, and the fourth a computer virus(?). I think I liked those movies since they were quite different to the shows before them. Otherwise this is the first time I've watched anything with Scooby-Doo in over 15 years.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Early season 1 Mystery Inc is a bit rough but not terrible. People have outrageous love for season 2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think my favorite Scooby series is probably those movies they've been putting out lately. They're incredibly well-made and really get at the core of what Scooby Doo is. They're a lot of fun.

Mystery Incorporated was probably the smartest and most competent Scooby series, but in not being dumb and creating stronger characters and plots, it's sort of not as Scooby. It's definitely a great show, and it has a lot of homages to the rest of the franchise and its offshoots, even if it does despise most of the red shirt shaggy days. It's a whole lot like Transformers: Animated was, homaging so much of the previous franchise, while at the same time doing something wildly different and more thought out than most previous iterations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really wished we could've gotten a Season 3 with Harlan Ellison and the gang in Miskatonic U.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I only have two complaints about that show:

1. The Mystery Solvers' Convention episode wasn't canon, even within that series.

2. The final bad guy did NOT turn out to be a dude in a rubber costume.

It's still the best Scooby Doo's been IMO, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

I really wished we could've gotten a Season 3 with Harlan Ellison and the gang in Miskatonic U.
That might do as a movie, I think. Not sure how the rights to that would work.

Regardless, I think reframing the original series as the whacky cross-country trip to get to Miskatonic was a very clever and cute way of capping it all off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

That might do as a movie, I think. Not sure how the rights to that would work.

Regardless, I think reframing the original series as the whacky cross-country trip to get to Miskatonic was a very clever and cute way of capping it all off.

The whole Arkham lore is public domain. The only hitch is Harlan Ellison who's just generally a crochety coot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure Ellison is amenable to people dickriding him and otherwise treating him like a God of science fiction and horror, and having him be a professor at Miskatonic U is pretty reverent. It's when you don't hold him in reverence that the crochety-ness comes out.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

That's because Tiny Toons had like 8 different animation studios involved with it

Tiny Toons is possibly the canonical example of animation being traceable to individual studios.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh for gently caress's sake, Startoons. You're sexualising BABS?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

technically that's fanart trying to emulate their style

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, Startoons. You're sexualising BABS?

They are supposed to be teenagers, also Babs did a surprising amount of fanservice gags in that show looking back

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That squishy epiaode with the animator creating them has a whole personality section where she goes from goofy Dolly Parton esque YeeHaw stuff to Jessica Rabbit Femme Noir.

So yeah that's all in her DNA.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kennedy Cartoons what are you doing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

They are supposed to be teenagers, also Babs did a surprising amount of fanservice gags in that show looking back

Aren't creepy furries basically what killed Tiny Toons to begin with? I heard a story a while back about Tress MacNeille who played Babs getting stalked by some guy and eventually quitting the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FilthyImp posted:

That squishy epiaode with the animator creating them has a whole personality section where she goes from goofy Dolly Parton esque YeeHaw stuff to Jessica Rabbit Femme Noir.

So yeah that's all in her DNA.

The Dolly Parton part even had a very blatant gag about Dolly's boobs