Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

double nine posted:

I'm looking for an industrialist/trader tycoon game. Basically a game where you start with a single ship/truck/space ship and end up owning your own production facility complexes.

Patrician 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Sorry I haven't replied in some time, thanks again for all suggestions.

Re: Res 4 and inventory:
I've played it extensively and still love it, so no problems there. Personally, I never had a problem with its inventory and thought the game as a whole was amazing, I've just read some people complaining about it.

Re: Bloodborne/Nioh/Playstation:
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for Bloodborne to arrive at PC anytime (soon), just a fool's hope. I'm superhappy Nioh did, though.

And guess I'll have to boot up Torchlight to explore that Pet mechanic. And maybe get back to Path of Exile, as I haven't played that again after all those big updates they have apparently done in the last years.

I have another question, about greatly balanced games:
Some comments about Divinity 2's poorly balanced spells/items/whatnot made me think about what games have great balance, aka their game mechanics can NOT be easily broken. I'm thinking of how you can speedrun Baldur's Gate by rushing to the final boss and chug potions, the mentioned spells in Divinity 2 that are much better than other options, characters that are CLEARLY above and beyond other characters to choose from, etc. After some digging, there always seems to be this ONE OP strategy or character that everyone chooses if they want to clear the game. From the top of my head, I think maybe StarCraft 1 and 2 did balance pretty good between the three factions? Some fairly good balance between classes in Dark Souls, although I know a lot of people always go for Pyromancer or Mage as they are somewhat better/OP than others.

Do you have one standout game or more that has great balance for your character's skill tree, or great balance between different characters to pick from, or similar? Might get a lot of fighting game suggestions, like Tekken or Streetfighter maybe? But I'd like to keep an open mind to get the most suggestions. So any genre goes. Thanks again, hope any answers will help/amuse/be interesting for more people in this thread.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's a really good question that has me wracking my brain. First thing that came to mind is probably Nuclear Throne? I'm sure there are some OP options but I'm including it because there's a wide variety of characters and weapons and I like all of them, none of them stand out as particularly OP. I'd consider Dark Souls to be balanced as well, simply because you are able to beat it at level 1 with no items. That's like, practically the definition of balance. Resident Evil 4 has that A.I. that tunes the difficulty to your progress, to keep you on the edge of balance.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pillars of Eternity is obsessed with balance to the point of excluding or nerfing anything fun and interesting

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Because many multiplayer games are played on servers, the devs can see imbalances, so games like Overwatch, LOL, etc are going to be balanced or at least to as close to being balanced as possible.

I take it you mean single player games? There's not nearly the pressure on the devs to balance single player games so you're going to get a lot of imbalance because the devs don't want to take the time to fix them. And then on top of it if you do get balance, people just make mods to unbalance it again.

I personally can't think of any particularly balanced single player games that have come out recently.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lorini posted:

Because many multiplayer games are played on servers, the devs can see imbalances, so games like Overwatch, LOL, etc are going to be balanced or at least to as close to being balanced as possible.

You'd think so, but most of the time what devs actually do in that situation is less "balance" and more "hammer down the things that average-to-bad players complain about the most regardless of how strong or weak they actually are."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Playing Fallout: New Vegas on Hardcore, I really liked the idea of constantly scrounging for materials to survive. The problem is that it was pretty trivial to stay well-fed in the bounty of the Mojave (:confused:).

What games should I try if I want that kind of scrounging/scavanging experience? I'm thinking something where it's a part of the core gameplay loop, but not exactly the central point of the game (New Vegas had its own plot). Maybe not a Survival Game where the point is just to last another day, I'm thinking.

If it were extended to include the equipment I have, a randomization element would make my gameplay tactics dependent just on what I can find in the world (randomizing item placement in Dark Souls does this, but there it's more about finding a superweapon early), which also could be interesting.

Something like a singleplayer DayZ with a plot. Does that exist? If not, what comes close? Replay the STALKER trilogy, find even more mods to make FNV harder-core?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vavrek posted:

Playing Fallout: New Vegas on Hardcore, I really liked the idea of constantly scrounging for materials to survive. The problem is that it was pretty trivial to stay well-fed in the bounty of the Mojave (:confused:).

What games should I try if I want that kind of scrounging/scavanging experience? I'm thinking something where it's a part of the core gameplay loop, but not exactly the central point of the game (New Vegas had its own plot). Maybe not a Survival Game where the point is just to last another day, I'm thinking.

If it were extended to include the equipment I have, a randomization element would make my gameplay tactics dependent just on what I can find in the world (randomizing item placement in Dark Souls does this, but there it's more about finding a superweapon early), which also could be interesting.

Something like a singleplayer DayZ with a plot. Does that exist? If not, what comes close? Replay the STALKER trilogy, find even more mods to make FNV harder-core?

Dying Light

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pathologic?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Could try Skyrim with the various survival mods.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Neo Scavenger

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

I have another question, about greatly balanced games:
Some comments about Divinity 2's poorly balanced spells/items/whatnot made me think about what games have great balance, aka their game mechanics can NOT be easily broken. I'm thinking of how you can speedrun Baldur's Gate by rushing to the final boss and chug potions, the mentioned spells in Divinity 2 that are much better than other options, characters that are CLEARLY above and beyond other characters to choose from, etc. After some digging, there always seems to be this ONE OP strategy or character that everyone chooses if they want to clear the game. From the top of my head, I think maybe StarCraft 1 and 2 did balance pretty good between the three factions? Some fairly good balance between classes in Dark Souls, although I know a lot of people always go for Pyromancer or Mage as they are somewhat better/OP than others.

Do you have one standout game or more that has great balance for your character's skill tree, or great balance between different characters to pick from, or similar? Might get a lot of fighting game suggestions, like Tekken or Streetfighter maybe? But I'd like to keep an open mind to get the most suggestions. So any genre goes. Thanks again, hope any answers will help/amuse/be interesting for more people in this thread.

DOTA 2 has very good balance as far as games of it's complexity and competitiveness go. There are flavor-of-the-patch heroes and strategies, and some are a bit more oppressive than others, but overall the vast majority of it's over a hundred heroes are reasonably viable at any given time, often with multiple different roles and builds. On the long term, everything has it's time in the sun, though again some things are more frequently towards the top than others.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Edit: woops

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Vavrek posted:

ninjewtsu posted:

pathologic?

Pathologic is the game that I think best matches survival gameplay to story. You're either a young doctor, butcher/surgeon, or mystic healer arriving in a small Russian steppe town around the turn of the 20th century. The town is gripped by a terrifying and mystical plague, and over the next 12 days you must use every scrap of cunning, effort, skill, and luck to survive and save the town. Most gameplay consists of scavenging for scraps, visiting with the locals, and rationing supplies as you can while conducting research into the plague.

Now, I have to caution you. This game has the closest match between gameplay, the player character's situation, and the affect it creates of any game I've ever played. The problem is that the general feeling of the game is one of bleak desperation. It's hard to recommend this game as fun. It's an experience, a unique experience, but a grinding and exhausting one. I leave it up to you if that's something you're looking for. The writing/story is superb, and the new Russian to English translation is much more understandable than the original.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's a really good question that has me wracking my brain. First thing that came to mind is probably Nuclear Throne? I'm sure there are some OP options but I'm including it because there's a wide variety of characters and weapons and I like all of them, none of them stand out as particularly OP. I'd consider Dark Souls to be balanced as well, simply because you are able to beat it at level 1 with no items. That's like, practically the definition of balance. Resident Evil 4 has that A.I. that tunes the difficulty to your progress, to keep you on the edge of balance.

Yeah, I struggled to think of any too. Watching AGDQ it's easy to think about some of the completely broken gameruns they have sped through, but really well balanced games was harder. Hence, I thought to ask. I have Nuclear Throne already, so I guess that's on my install list now. And I didn't notice Resident Evil 4's difficulty change according to progress/non-progress until I saw a video about it some time ago.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pillars of Eternity is obsessed with balance to the point of excluding or nerfing anything fun and interesting

That's too bad. Having fun things to happen is essential to great gameplay, so big bummer there. Haven't tried more than the introductory stage of that one.

Lorini posted:

I take it you mean single player games? There's not nearly the pressure on the devs to balance single player games so you're going to get a lot of imbalance because the devs don't want to take the time to fix them. And then on top of it if you do get balance, people just make mods to unbalance it again.

I personally can't think of any particularly balanced single player games that have come out recently.

Multiplayer or singleplayer suggestions are both fine. I play mostly singleplayer, but am keen to hear about greatly balanced games/gameplay overall. Not knowing of any recent games is also fine, and if you have any OLD balanced singleplayer games, I'm all ears.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

DOTA 2 has very good balance as far as games of it's complexity and competitiveness go. There are flavor-of-the-patch heroes and strategies, and some are a bit more oppressive than others, but overall the vast majority of it's over a hundred heroes are reasonably viable at any given time, often with multiple different roles and builds. On the long term, everything has it's time in the sun, though again some things are more frequently towards the top than others.

Is it particularly better balanced than League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm or (in my mind) equivalent games? Does it do things very differently from those in terms of balance?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

please don't play mobas

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

please don't play mobas

I don't, but thought I'd ask how that one is different from other MOBAs, if much. Just thinking if there's a well balanced game mentioned here, maybe it'll spin off some thoughts about other game genres that are too.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Downs Duck posted:

I don't, but thought I'd ask how that one is different from other MOBAs, if much. Just thinking if there's a well balanced game mentioned here, maybe it'll spin off some thoughts about other game genres that are too.

HOTS is more casual than other MOBAs (casual being a relative term - it's still a very involved, teamwork heavy game with MOBA community). Character roles and customization are more streamlined than DOTA or LOL, and the games are shorter and more focused on team fights rather than gaining gold and experience leads through 'laning' and 'jungling'. I found it approachable where other MOBAs were not, but I haven't played it in about a year and I know it's changed substantially since then.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Neo Scavenger

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vavrek posted:

7 Days to Die has been scratching this itch for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

please don't play mobas

Ya as someone who plays them. Don't. They are incredibly addicting and time consuming. If you are the type of person who just has 1 game they play it might be fine but you won't get time to play much else. I just stopped recently and play only from time to time.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Vavrek posted:

Darkwood

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Eela6 posted:

HOTS is more casual than other MOBAs (casual being a relative term - it's still a very involved, teamwork heavy game with MOBA community). Character roles and customization are more streamlined than DOTA or LOL, and the games are shorter and more focused on team fights rather than gaining gold and experience leads through 'laning' and 'jungling'. I found it approachable where other MOBAs were not, but I haven't played it in about a year and I know it's changed substantially since then.

Ulio posted:

Ya as someone who plays them. Don't. They are incredibly addicting and time consuming. If you are the type of person who just has 1 game they play it might be fine but you won't get time to play much else. I just stopped recently and play only from time to time.

Yeah, it's not usually my cup of tea, but again, if the great balancing of one/them can spin the conversation further and point to other balanced games, I'm all for mentioning any and all genres.

On a smaller note: Seems maybe balancing is one of the harder aspects of making a game overall? No matter what you do, someone will say it's too hard or easy. Not to beat the Dark Souls horse to death, but one of the reasons I love that game was the LACK of a difficulty setting. Instead, the enemies were different in scope of difficulty, how they moved, etc. and not just doubled-in-HP damage sponges after awhile, like lots of other titles.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Eela6 posted:

It's still clinging to being a MOBA, though. Battlerite has taken the step to completely eliminate lanes, creeps, towers, bases, neutral mobs, XP, and gold - leaving just the team fights. Customisation is done outside battles, and you start each fight with all your abilities available.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there anything I can play that's similar to the original Badman game on PSP?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Badman returns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading a book called The Baghdad Air Mail about the experiences of a pilot who flew WWI-era bombers across the Middle East to deliver mail in the Interwar period, and I was wondering if there was a flight sim that hit one or more of these points:

* has biplanes, or otherwise prop planes

* has ground detail and maps that are accurate enough against each other that I can using using visual references

* supports just flying around without combat, preferably with some kind of transportation goal

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for a PC RPG/adventure game where it's fun to explore and you feel like you're part of a larger world. Being able to make your own character is pretty important - that's why I could never get into the Witcher games. I've played Fallout, TES, Divinity, and Mount & Blade already.

I was looking at Kenshi but its recent reviews and its unfinished state are a bit off-putting.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for a PC RPG/adventure game where it's fun to explore and you feel like you're part of a larger world. Being able to make your own character is pretty important - that's why I could never get into the Witcher games. I've played Fallout, TES, Divinity, and Mount & Blade already.

I was looking at Kenshi but its recent reviews and its unfinished state are a bit off-putting.

Way out there, but how about STALKER? Call of Chernobyl even lets you create a character, and with Warfare and a few other mods make it basically Eastern Bloc Mount & Fallout.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Chas McGill posted:

Maybe an MMO? WoW, FF14, GW2, TESO are some popular ones and all have character creation. I can't comment on the others, but I've been playing WoW for many years and it is A Good Time. The most recent patch even mostly fixed the leveling issue, so new characters can actually get a feel for the old worlds (and their classes) and not just barrel through oneshotting everything.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 21, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Chas McGill posted:

Dark Souls might be too obvious, but it could be a good fit. It's famous for it's sense of exploration and deeply interconnected world, and there's a lot of options for character customization and build variety.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone recommend me a game like Door Kickers? Absolutely hooked to this game and can't get enough of it, but I'm quickly burning myself out on it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Way out there, but how about STALKER? Call of Chernobyl even lets you create a character, and with Warfare and a few other mods make it basically Eastern Bloc Mount & Fallout.
This could be cool. I played the Stalker games when they came out, but I haven't really looked at mods for them yet.

Ofecks posted:

Maybe an MMO? WoW, FF14, GW2, TESO are some popular ones and all have character creation. I can't comment on the others, but I've been playing WoW for many years and it is A Good Time. The most recent patch even mostly fixed the leveling issue, so new characters can actually get a feel for the old worlds (and their classes) and not just barrel through oneshotting everything.
Hmm, I think I'd prefer singleplayer stuff, but thanks for the suggestions.

Eela6 posted:

Dark Souls might be too obvious, but it could be a good fit. It's famous for it's sense of exploration and deeply interconnected world, and there's a lot of options for character customization and build variety.
Dark Souls is probably my favourite game. guess I didn't consider it open worldy enough to mention it in the first post. I guess it actually is, though!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Q8ee posted:

Can someone recommend me a game like Door Kickers? Absolutely hooked to this game and can't get enough of it, but I'm quickly burning myself out on it.

Frozen Synapse or Rainbow Six maybe?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Frozen Synapse or Rainbow Six maybe?

I like both of them. Rainbow Six Siege is awesome, but a top-down Door Kickers-esque is more what I'm looking for. Older Rainbow Six games haven't aged too well, and Frozen Synapse is alright but the turn system isn't really my thing. I much prefer the real time system DK employs, with the option to pause whenever I want.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Q8ee posted:

I like both of them. Rainbow Six Siege is awesome, but a top-down Door Kickers-esque is more what I'm looking for. Older Rainbow Six games haven't aged too well, and Frozen Synapse is alright but the turn system isn't really my thing. I much prefer the real time system DK employs, with the option to pause whenever I want.

Not quite the same style as Door Kickers, but Jagged Alliance Back in Action, 7,62 High Caliber and the UFO series do decent real-time with pause.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Shadow Tactics? Also I think SWAT 4 aged pretty well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Q8ee posted:

If you don’t mind being a single dervish of dead that triple wields wrenches instead of a coordinated team, Heat Signature.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The older SWAT games, Satellite Reign kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

If you don’t mind being a single dervish of dead that triple wields wrenches instead of a coordinated team, Heat Signature.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The older SWAT games, Satellite Reign kinda

these two are perfect recommendations (minus the older SWAT games). thanks! if there's even more, keep em coming