Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Slay the Spire is a deckbuilding roguelike game available on Steam (Full release 1/23/2019). It's will have been $16 (a deal) but probably costs more now.

Each game, you'll pick a hero, and try to make it down through 3 levels and their associated bosses. Along the way you pick up cards and relics to enhance your deck and your character.

It's really fun and has been getting a lot of word of mouth exposure, but there isn't a thread yet here so I'm making one and deal with it if it isn't as high effort as it could be! I'll add more to the OP as people give me ideas.

The Ironclad
A strong fighter, the Ironclad starts off with the Burning Blood relic, healing 6 hitpoints after each fight. Ironclad's cards focus on strategies like Armor Stacking, Strength Multipliers, and Exhaustion Chaining.

The Silent
A fiendish rogue, the Silent starts with the Ring of the Snake, giving 2 additional cards during the first round of combat. Silent's cards focus on Poison, Discarding, and chaining free cards.

The Defect
A broken robot, the Defect starts with a Broken Core, which lets it "Channel" one Lightning Orb at the start of each combat. The Defect plays very differently from the other two classes, using a system of cycling Orbs that all have passive effects, and can be Evoked for larger one shot effects. Common archetypes include Lightning Orb spam or Frost Orb infinite tanking.

--

How Cards Work

You'll start off with a default deck of Attacks and Defense cards. These aren't great, but you'll be able to upgrade or remove them over the course of a run.

Each round, you draw some cards, play them, then discard any you don't play. When you've gone through all the cards in your deck, it'll shuffle again and you continue on.

Whenever you defeat enemies, you'll get the choice of new cards. If you see one you like, take it! It will be available next fight. If there aren't any cards in a set you like, skipping is a totally legit option. You don't want to add useless cards to your deck.

Intent

Each round, you can see what the enemies plan to do. Don't ignore this! If you mouse over Intent icons, it'll give you more info about what they mean.

--

Strategies

Ironclad Armor - Using Powers like Barricade and Juggernaut, along with high armor giving cards, it's possible to make yourself near-impervious while dishing out lots of passive damage.
Silent Poison - The most popular Silent build, stacking the power Noxious Fumes, with lots of armor cards to outlast your opponents. Catalyst can be a great boss killer, turning 15-20 stacks of poison into a very fast clock.

---

That's the OP for now, feel free to suggest stuff. The game is really fun, check it out!

Man reading my early posts in this thread I was Bad Bad Bad!

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The actual best the Silent strategy is getting an upgraded choke and the necro book and tons of cycling cards and then winning by playing 30 0 cost cards that makes the 10 dmg choke effect kill them.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I've been playing a shitload of this game. My favorite so far is getting Tingsha (3 random damage whenever you discard), Tactician (2 mana if discarded) and some draw and cycle cards. You're literally doing nothing besides moving cards around until they die from boredom 3 minutes later, still on turn 1.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I actually finally today just got a Silent victory in. Took the most obscene setup of the (relic/card spoilers) Bandage (discard to get 3 armor), Enchiridion (Get a card at end of every round), 2x Footwork+, Spinning Top (draw a card if you have no cards), Kunai (+1 dex every time you do 3 attacks in a round), and 3x Infinite Blades (shiv at start of combat)

It owned. 18 dex, easy.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Game good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Oh boy this game sounds interes-"

*early acesss*

"well nevermind"

Guess I'll just play this in a 2 years when its actually done

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

The game is fun and interesting even at this early stage but if you don't want to play it because of some snobbery then more power to you my guy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hell does snobbery have to do with it? Early access games are just more fun when they are actually complete.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

The hell does snobbery have to do with it? Early access games are just more fun when they are actually complete.

Because you felt that the fact that you will not play this because it is early access is important enough to let everyone know about.

quote:

*early acesss*

"well nevermind"

This is a unique and valuable opinion that I have seen nowhere else!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Exhaustion decks for Ironclad are loving amazing.

Corruption, Dark Embrace, just to start. Then get the power that gives you +4 block every time a card is exhausted, pick up Barricade somewhere along the way and chain skill cards until you're utterly invincible.

Pepper in Demon Form or other +str cards and pick a few angers in to ensure a never ending supply of attacks to cycle through. Jack of All Trades is an amazing card for an exhaust deck as an upgraded one almost always nets you two more skill cards, for a total of 3 cards to exhaust in a single turn.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Internet Kraken posted:

*early acesss*

"well nevermind"

This game is like 90% complete, there's a full game and only 1 class isn't implemented.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unlucky7 posted:

Because you felt that the fact that you will not play this because it is early access is important enough to let everyone know about.

This is a unique and valuable opinion that I have seen nowhere else!

I posted that because it was my first thought upon seeing the game the other day. You don't need to freak out so much over one post.

Skyl3lazer posted:

This game is like 90% complete, there's a full game and only 1 class isn't implemented.

Well that actually tells me more about the game being worth playing despite being early access. How helpful.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

*freaks out on first post*

Yikes! Why are you guys freaking out?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

:allears:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

You have all made the first page of this thread Very Bad!!!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
This game is very fun, won a couple times with each class so far using completely different builds each time. There's so many different builds and I hope for an endless mode or something eventually. The starter class feels the strongest and I have the best win rate on it, but the 2nd one is far more fun to play with the crazy combos you can assemble.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I can't seem to make much headway with silent, I'm still too unfamiliar with what kind of build I should be going for

I've tried poison/block and that seems okay but I have difficulty with the size of my deck reducing consistency

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Got this after somebody sold it to me as Hearthstone dungeon run, only cool and good and it exceeds that. I hope they add workshop support down the line.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Beasteh posted:

I can't seem to make much headway with silent, I'm still too unfamiliar with what kind of build I should be going for

I've tried poison/block and that seems okay but I have difficulty with the size of my deck reducing consistency

Silent is very RNG dependent - for the poison build, you need to get 2x Noxious Fumes very fast, followed by a bunch of the good block cards like Blur and Footwork. On top of that you need a couple of good relics (Bandage + Prepared+'s for example), and on top of that you need to not draw all your X cards on a turn when you needed Y cards (no blocks on a heavy damage, or no attacks on a no damage turn). ALSO, you need to not get certain bosses/elites, such as the Lagavulin or Book of Stabbing or Collector or Time Eater.

It was very frustrating to me, but you can sometimes do cool things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

*early acesss*

"well nevermind"

Same, but not out of snobbery. I know I'll burn myself out on it and not want to play when more features are added. I made that mistake with Dead Cells. It's fun to watch though!

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

this game is good as hell and you should play it

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I was thinking last night how this game needs a thread. Am really enjoying it as well, keep playing it to the wee hours of the morn becasue I just need one more run!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this game is lit. i just hope they pour a ton more content into it eventually, like what happened with Guild of Dungeoneering

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I want to make my own guy with his own cool cards and do fun challenging stuff with balancing it. If only because I have some pretty swell ideas on card multiplying / exhausting, and chaining effects based on multiples of a single card.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Game isnt awful but there are some easy to get combos like str abuse and heavy blade/ that damage on exhaust card.

Got into a fight with stone head and after round two laid out a 6 card exhaust that did about 370 damage due to expose weakness/inflame/limit break shenanigans. Game basically sets your card path up early on

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LifeLynx posted:

Same, but not out of snobbery. I know I'll burn myself out on it and not want to play when more features are added. I made that mistake with Dead Cells. It's fun to watch though!

That's the entire reason I don't really want to play EA games anymore. Its really easy to burn out on them when you would get a better experience out of playing the game when its actually finished. Course I understand why so many indie devs are doing it now; its a good way to secure funds to actually finish developing your game.

If this game is really 90% done I wouldn't mind playing it now but at the same time it doesn't hurt to wait either. Besides Subnautica is releasing soon, another EA game I really wanted to play but held off on until the official release.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

If this game is really 90% done

to call this game 90% done would be like calling vanilla Binding of Isaac 90% done relative to after all the DLC

whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is totally up to you, though. some would see later content as just a bonus to go back to the game, but without that later content the game does seem a little barebones; there's a lot of cool deck synergies but being so held to RNG you don't see too many changes between games. there's definitely enough to challenge yourself on streaks, if that's your kind of thing, but personally I was the kind of person that held R if I got a bad start on Isaac after the first few times I slogged through it with no good items.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

A lot of what will ensure a solid run is less getting a bunch of upgraded specific cards and more about being smart about your play and how you plot through the dungeon. In particular, plotting in shop stops when you have enough money to afford relics (or dodging fights when low), and multiple elites in map 1. After map 1 elites are way more risky, and some of the ordinary encounters can get really scary if you get bad draw. Maps 2/3 I focus on hitting as many '?' spots as possible after ensuring I'm not hitting an elite unless its got a rest right before it. Later maps have a higher chance of getting an upgraded card from fight rewards, which can be pretty good.

Depending on what relics you get, certain strategies go from "need to focus a bunch of cards and thin your deck to make it work" to "this'll blow the poo poo out of anything outside of hard-counter end boss". For example if you get the bandages relic (+3 armor when you discard a card), the rogue's pile of draw+discard cards suddenly get even better and you can often not even worry about playing defense cards.

Card upgrades that I prioritize are things that reduce card cost, increase debuff duration, or enhance special abilities. For example, upgrading the warrior's 'upgrade' card changes it from improving 1 card in your hand to all of them, true grit changes 'exhaust a random card' to 'exhaust a card', upgraded terror drops the cost from 1 to 0. Things that upgrade just damage are the bottom of the barrel outside of a few rare exceptions (improving heavy strike if you've already got a bunch of +str cards is a big multiplier), because the benefit of 3-5 damage is a lot less than things like having an extra energy.

Keep in mind you get a free full heal after each boss, and you can skip taking cards/potions/relics if you want. Also some end bosses are sort of hard counters to certain playstyles, but it is still possible to beat them with a deck they're strong against if you're careful and if you didn't go 110% in.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

you can skip taking cards/potions/relics if you want.

This is very important, you can look at the card options and choose to not take one. Having a streamlined deck is the way to sure victories every time.

EDIT: Don't forget to remove the basic attack/defense cards whenever you can, they are terrible compared to just about anything else.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 22, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just had a Silent run come together that was super fun to play -- very high variance and I almost died a couple times because of RNG, but managed to make it through to the end.

From the start I got got Wraith Form, the power which deals damage every time you play a skill, so I thought I'd build around it and just started collecting a bunch of skill cards, which incidentally included a bunch of draw and cycling cards (Acrobatics, Backflip). Things didn't start getting wacky until I got the Snecko Eye, which makes you permanently confused... so I started collecting a bunch of high-cost skills that I would never otherwise play, and rolling the dice that I'd hit a bunch of 0-costs. This started cascading into making other cards and relics really good since there was such a high churn with this draw deck -- I also got the letter opener which synergizes great with Wraith Form (5 damage every time you play three skills a turn), along with Pen Nib since I was throwing like 8 shivs per turn (oh, also I got the power that boosts Shiv damage). Also Calculated Gamble, which would normally be useless (discard and redraw your hand) became part of the main engine, and also helped the Sundial (get energy when you reshuffle your deck 3 times) power me to victory.

Loving this game, it reminded me that I always wanted a new Shandalar and I think this is it. I think I'm probably done for now with 20 hours sunk, but can't wait until the new character

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 22, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

:discourse: Infinite turn decks are the best decks. Started with double thinning from the whale, then I had an early sundial with dropkick and pommel strike to do crazy poo poo, then I got a second dropkick and just coasted on the power of never ending turn.

Now if only my leaderboard would update :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

DrManiac posted:

I hope they add workshop support down the line.

:same:

Right now it's Pretty drat Good and I've poured 40 hours into it, and I can still enjoy booting it up just to play a run despite having unlocked everything, which is more than I can say for other rogue-lites like Dead Cells.

- I think an infinity mode is a must (and it's on the dev roadmap thankfully) for those games where you get a preeeetty good deck, but you don't quite pull it together to be As Good As It Could Be.
- Third Class will be fun as gently caress and there's still a ton of room for them to make other classes in the future.
- More cards, relics, etc is always nice. It's good they're keeping things split into classes so card pools don't get so diluted you can't plan around building a specific type of deck in a run.
- More enemies and bosses, duh. They have some stuff planned for more third floor enemies, but I wouldn't mind seeing more elites and bosses or even new floors way down the line.

Considering the devs must have made a shitload of money off the surprise popularity of the game, I can only imagine they'd be encouraged to keep supporting it down the line, but we'll see what happens.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks for the thread blazer.

I've been having a blast with this game over the last couple weeks. As others have posted favorite archetype is definitely the silent with tons of cycling and lots of Shivs+ choke. It reminds me of storm decks in MTG

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 22, 2018

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

a cat on an apple posted:

to call this game 90% done would be like calling vanilla Binding of Isaac 90% done relative to after all the DLC

whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is totally up to you, though. some would see later content as just a bonus to go back to the game, but without that later content the game does seem a little barebones; there's a lot of cool deck synergies but being so held to RNG you don't see too many changes between games. there's definitely enough to challenge yourself on streaks, if that's your kind of thing, but personally I was the kind of person that held R if I got a bad start on Isaac after the first few times I slogged through it with no good items.

I mean, vanilla BoI is indeed a complete game? You can't move the bar for 'done' to 'has years of DLC' unless it's a civilization game.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Just had an amazing run as Ironclad die on the second boss :(

Started with the enemy hp = 1 for 3 fights and pathed into a boss with 1 charge left
Found thread and needle straight away, and the beads that remove encounters from ? nodes, and Soju
Took Whirlwind twice and upgraded both
Removed useless strikes/blocks every shop
Found Jaxx and Limit Break!, upgraded both along with a couple of Flexes
Had the cursed book that gives you a free power at the start of every fight

The boss was that blue knight guy, he was just far too tanky and did too much damage before I could finish him (he had like 5 HP left), I should have rested before facing him

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 22, 2018

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm looking for an airplane laptop game. Has anyone tried this on a weaker system i.e. older Win8-era laptops with integrated graphics? Does it run as well as a 2D card game should or is it one of those games where the system requirements are surprisingly demanding?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really like this game, and the base mechanics are solid, but it's a bit lacking in content at the moment. After a few hours, you've pretty much seen most of what the game has to offer.
I'm sure they'll add more down the line though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Full Steam workshop support would be gold for this game, I am still enjoying it but I figure once I get all the unlocks I'll be done until something new comes out.

On a 4 win streak with Silent right now, there's just so many builds you can do with it. My last win I never even got any bonus energy relics, just rolled a poison/block build with a couple Footworks and got the poison transfer relic from the 2nd boss.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grabbed this last night, got my first win already (at about 4 AM :neckbeard:). Silent, got Snecko Eye + Bullet Time pretty early. Bullet time means the disadvantage of snecko doesn't really apply, then it was all shivs and finishers from there. Shoulda screenshot the build, oh well.

Only thing that almost ended it was an enemy in the third stage that kept building up thorns / damage reflect. I had almost diddly for poison damage but outlasted it. One thing I didn't realize about infinite knives is that if you discard the shivs they WILL turn back up again when you reshuffle. :gonk: I couldn't get rid of them without attacking and killing myself.

Game is good.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I feel like we can say that the Ironclad is strictly superior to The Silent in terms of consistency. I've been playing a little too much of the game, so here's a newcomer's guide to some good decks that can be constructed.

:siren:Picking cards every battle is a newbie trap. Don't do it. Keep your decks lean and relevant to your archetype.:siren:
When playing card games, your goal is to set up a win condition within your deck. Commonly, this is done by following an archetype that promotes a certain combo, such as the ones outlined below. For specifics on cards that I don't describe, use the Card Library in game. You may not have unlocked some cards, and that's fine. You'll still be able to make use of all of these archetypes with default cards, just perhaps not as effectively.

Ironclad:

With every Ironclad deck, there is exactly one card which is always of value: Armaments. Not only does it provide a decent block, matching the default block at the same value, once upgraded to Armaments+ it can upgrade your whole hand. It's also a common card, so always grab at least two for your Ironclad deck regardless of archetype.

Man of Steel - Best way to start this archetype: Pick a rare card at the start, DO NOT REPLACE YOUR STARTING RELIC

This is the block-centric archetype, making strong use of the card Barricade in order to maintain your block across multiple turns. As a 3-cost (up-gradable to 2-cost) card, it is likely to harm the momentum of the deck and expose you to early damage, especially on The City's encounter with two slavers and a taskmaster. However, most enemies spend the first turn on miscellaneous actions, so that is not as great a concern. However, the sheer power of Barricade when combined with Impervious (+30 Block), Power Through (+15 Block, take 2 wounds) and Body Slam (Deal block as damage) allows you to not only take little to no damage, but output massive amounts. Furthermore, Body Slam+ is a zero cost card, Impervious is a two, and Power Through is a one. That means its possible that even without Barricade, you can deal in excess of 90 damage with the two block generators and multiple Body Slam+ cards.

Playing Chicken - Best way to start this archetype: Increase to max HP. You'll need it.

This archetype revolves around generating strength. Heavy Blade is a must, as is a suitable draw engine, so cards like Pommel Strike, Battle Trance, Shrug it Off are all useful. This deck archetype is strictly based upon increasing strength through the battle. Demon Form and Spot Weakness are strong cards for this. Your goal here is to become as mighty as possible to finish things in just a few hits. Multi-strike moves like Twin Blades can be effective, but usually are best with cards like Flex if you don't roll a Demon Form or Spot Weakness. You're likely to take a lot of damage here, so aim to get the relics Orichalcum or Anchor if possible.

I've not got any experience with exhaust decks, but someone with that experience could easily fill it in here.

Silent

Now, the Silent is a strange one. Generally when I play as them, I make heavy use of powers, as these typically dictate what flavour of deck you'll be constructing. Well Laid Plans is a must for any Silent deck, as is Prepared. The former lets you retain cards which may be needed to kickstart a combo, and Prepared lets you cycle (Draw/Discard the same amount, replacing your in-hand cards with drawn cards or sticking) through those, both of them at no cost. Prepared+ is quite a grab too, allowing you to cycle two cards instead of just one.

Shiv-ver me Timbers - Best way to start this archetype: Pull a rare at the start.

Perhaps the easiest deck to construct, since it leans closest towards the Silent's starting relic. This deck relies upon the Shiv, a 0 cost 4 damage card that exhausts itself. You can generate them many ways, such as Blade Dance (2 shivs), Infinite Blades (one shiv every turn), or the relic Ninja Scroll (start with 3 shivs). There are also many Shiv style 0-cost attack cards, like Endless Agony especially, a zero cost card that duplicates itself every time you draw it, but otherwise holds the same properties as the Shiv. In order to make sure these shivs are more effective than their pitiful stats, you need attacks like Finisher which increase in power with every attack you use, or powers like After Image that generate block for each card played, or Envenom, which applies poison each time unblocked attack damage is dealt. This deck also synergises with the Shuriken and Kunai relics, which increase your strength/dexterity respectively every time 3 attacks are played. Overall, this deck is fun to play, but is hard countered by certain bosses and encounters.

Outta Hand, Outta Mind - Best way to start this archetype: Get curses. Not a joke.

Now this deck is more of an oddity to me that I've not fully worked out yet. Discard synergy is strong with the Silent, starting off with Survivor, which grants 8 armour in exchange for discarding a card in hand. Underhanded Strike, when discarded deals 7 damage. The cost of Eviscerate decreases for every card you've discarded this turn, and it does 6 damage three times by default. Calculated Gamble discards your entire hand and redraws that number of cards. All together, along with the aforementioned Prepared and Well Laid Plans lets you set up for a remarkably strong combo, and this is without the powerful relic synergies with Tingsha (3 damage to a random enemy for each card discarded) and Tough Bandages (Gain 3 block for each card discarded). If you roll a Tools of the Trade power (Draw 1, Discard 1 every turn) or the Gambling Chip relic (Discard and redraw cards in your hand) you stand to deal a lot of incidental damage.

It's Poison Jam - Best way to start this archetype: Pull some common cards at the start.

Poison is my preferred Silent archetype, being the one that's secured me the most wins. Poison Stab, Deadly Poison and Catalyst are the key ingredients, along with Noxious Fumes mostly for maintenance purposes. The first two cards let you build up an amount of poison on the enemy, while the latter card makes sure that number steadily grows. Catalyst then, doubles that number. Catalyst+ triples the number. Burst makes skills (such as Catalyst) activate twice. Burst+ does this for 2 skills.

It's super effective.

Those are my five main deck archetypes. I'll explore Exhaust at some point and see how that archetype can become effective. Hope this helps people in deck construction.