Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I found it by typing "woot retu" tab, then enter

How do I return a damaged or defective product?

quote:

If the item you purchased is damaged or defective and was purchased within the past 30 days, please go to our Support page to report the issue. Please include the order number, a description of the item you would like to return, and a detailed explanation of the problem. If it’s damaged or defective, we will provide you with a return authorization. If we still have the same item in-stock, we will provide you with an exchange of the same item. If a replacement has been issued and you do not return the original item within the 30 days as stated in the return authorization, you will be charged for the replacement item. You may be required to return your defective item to Woot before an exchange or refund is issued. In the event the item being returned to Woot is NOT found to be damaged or defective, you may be assessed a 15% restocking fee and the original shipping charge will not be refunded.

https://www.woot.com/faq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Statutory Ape posted:

I found it by typing "woot retu" tab, then enter

How do I return a damaged or defective product?

https://www.woot.com/faq

Yeah....the last sentence is what I needed but apparently overlooked in my skimming. But also they should just have that as a heading for returns that aren't defective/damaged.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I snagged a C302 M5/64GB from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $377 (Used, Like New). I think it was a price mistake since it's normally $609. They vanished in minutes, now available for $413, which still seems like a good price.

It hasn't shipped yet, but I'm slightly worried about the screen. I had a Pixelbook but returned it because the >$1000 just seemed hard to digest, but $377 is impulse territory for 90% of the Pixelbook capabilities.

Is a non 4:3 flip Chromebook going to drive me nuts? I plan on using the Android app feature pretty heavily and don't really care about a stylus. For some reason having everything so long on the display (16:9) is making me second-guess prior to shipping. Movies will look neat tho.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just enabled the in-development night mode on my CB. The effect isn't as prominent as the Screen Shader extension but at least it applies to the entire display. I suggest giving it a shot if you do a lot of night computing like I do.

hotsauce posted:

I snagged a C302 M5/64GB from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $377 (Used, Like New). I think it was a price mistake since it's normally $609. They vanished in minutes, now available for $413, which still seems like a good price.

It hasn't shipped yet, but I'm slightly worried about the screen. I had a Pixelbook but returned it because the >$1000 just seemed hard to digest, but $377 is impulse territory for 90% of the Pixelbook capabilities.

Is a non 4:3 flip Chromebook going to drive me nuts? I plan on using the Android app feature pretty heavily and don't really care about a stylus. For some reason having everything so long on the display (16:9) is making me second-guess prior to shipping. Movies will look neat tho.

I've delved into the aspect ratio differences before, but in short, most devices have 16:9 displays anyway, and the 3:2 ones are pretty rare. For <$400 you'll love that thing.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 20, 2018

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

hotsauce posted:

The Android app functionality on the C302 is not that great. If you are counting on Android app functionality to be good on Chromebooks, I'd suggest not getting a Chromebook and instead getting an Android tablet or smartphone to run your Android apps. Running things out of the Chrome web browser works well though--I've only had a few problems with native Chromebook programs (few problems being: the Chromebook Windows Network Share client totally sucks and crashes all of the time, the Chrome Remote Desktop program works well, but does not allow you to transmit an Alt+Backspace keypress for 'delete', which is annoying).

For example, I can't download and watch movies using the Amazon Prime Video Android app on a plane flight without the video horribly stuttering (unless I crank the video quality to lowest settings, upon which the video only annoyingly stutters). The Spotify Android app has trouble detecting my Chromecast on my local network, and so sometimes I have trouble casting music to my TV. The Roku Android app doesn't even work--it just crashes upon startup, etc. etc.

Atomizer posted:

I just enabled the in-development night mode on my CB. The effect isn't as prominent as the Screen Shader extension but at least it applies to the entire display. I suggest giving it a shot if you do a lot of night computing like I do.

When I last tried doing this, the timer which is supposed to turn Night Mode on/and off on my computer at sunset/sunrise was totally broken, and didn't work, and you had to manually turn Night Mode on and off. Is this fixed?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 20, 2018

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!
I'm currently using an Asus C300M from around 3 years ago, and it appears to be struggling. I checked the specs, and seeing as it has 2Gb of RAM, that pretty much makes sense.

I'm currently working on some pretty large Docs files, in the process of writing a novel. I'm also currently in awe of the Pixelbook, but I am a little wary. Am I likely to see any significant stuttering with larger files on that device? I'm currently thinking of using a different file for each couple of chapters, then merging them at a later date for when I'm ready to edit, but being able to do it all in one big document would be ideal.

Edit: I'm also using a Pixel 2, so I'd be interested to hear from anyone using both of those, in terms of the tethering etc.

Deadcell27 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

silence_kit posted:

The Android app functionality on the C302 is not that great. If you are counting on Android app functionality to be good on Chromebooks, I'd suggest not getting a Chromebook and instead getting an Android tablet or smartphone to run your Android apps. Running things out of the Chrome web browser works well though--I've only had a few problems with native Chromebook programs (few problems being: the Chromebook Windows Network Share client totally sucks and crashes all of the time, the Chrome Remote Desktop program works well, but does not allow you to transmit an Alt+Backspace keypress for 'delete', which is annoying).

For example, I can't download and watch movies using the Amazon Prime Video Android app on a plane flight without the video horribly stuttering (unless I crank the video quality to lowest settings, upon which the video only annoyingly stutters). The Spotify Android app has trouble detecting my Chromecast on my local network, and so sometimes I have trouble casting music to my TV. The Roku Android app doesn't even work--it just crashes upon startup, etc. etc.

When I last tried doing this, the timer which is supposed to turn Night Mode on/and off on my computer at sunset/sunrise was totally broken, and didn't work, and you had to manually turn Night Mode on and off. Is this fixed?

I also was not able to get the Network File Share thing to work the last time I tried it, however that didn't mean much for me as pretty much everything I need to share between ChromeOS is in Drive anyway.

I too use Alt+Bksp for Delete, as well as CRD, but a handful of keys/combinations not working in the latter is largely just a nuisance considering how well it works otherwise.

I vaguely recall someone else having a similar downloaded video playing issue with one service or another; I'm not sure if it's C302-specific or if it's just something related to the Android-on-ChromeOS implementation that needs to be smoothed out. Can you use the Spotify Web app and send the stream to the Chromecast via the built-in Chrome functionality?

I have Night Mode configured to turn off at sunrise...except all of my computing is generally done overnight so I can't tell if it functions as expected. :shrug:

Deadcell27 posted:

I'm currently using an Asus C300M from around 3 years ago, and it appears to be struggling. I checked the specs, and seeing as it has 2Gb of RAM, that pretty much makes sense.

I'm currently working on some pretty large Docs files, in the process of writing a novel. I'm also currently in awe of the Pixelbook, but I am a little wary. Am I likely to see any significant stuttering with larger files on that device? I'm currently thinking of using a different file for each couple of chapters, then merging them at a later date for when I'm ready to edit, but being able to do it all in one big document would be ideal.

Edit: I'm also using a Pixel 2, so I'd be interested to hear from anyone using both of those, in terms of the tethering etc.

Oof, that C300M has a double-whammy combo of a lovely Bay Trail CPU and <4 GB of RAM. The Pixelbook is one of the most powerful CBs around (others with similar performance are in that spreadsheet screenshot in the 2nd post with benchmark numbers listed) so it will have no problem with text files, although it's certainly not necessary that you jump to the most expensive CB (but then again you do seem to be at the point I was where you're comfortable in ChromeOS and you spend enough time on it where it makes sense to splurge for a higher-end device.)

I have no experience with the built in Chrome/Android unlock feature if that's what you're asking about as I don't have a Pixel phone. If you're just asking about simple tethering, then that works exactly as it does with any other device; your phone doesn't care if a CB or anything else is connected to its hotspot.

Also, regarding that novel you've been working on.... :D

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Atomizer posted:

I vaguely recall someone else having a similar downloaded video playing issue with one service or another; I'm not sure if it's C302-specific or if it's just something related to the Android-on-ChromeOS implementation that needs to be smoothed out. Can you use the Spotify Web app and send the stream to the Chromecast via the built-in Chrome functionality?

That was me, same problem with non streaming Amazon prime app videos. Weirdly it's not so bad streaming but downloaded video files are nigh unwatchable. Haven't tested with other apps but I did recently try to watch a .avi that had no video displaying and broke down if I tried to skip in MX player and refused to play in movies at all.

Android app functionality is generally good but definitely not reliable enough yet to make a Chromebook a great choice for media consumption or general work tool if you use any non Google apps. I'm still pretty happy with it for 90% of what I want to do but there are definitely times when it can't do that.

With the c302 I'm ok cause I got it fairly cheap (not quite USA fire sale prices I've seen here). It also does the other 80% of what I want pretty well. If I was having the same issues with a Pixel book though, I would be disappointed in the device.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Atomizer posted:

I also was not able to get the Network File Share thing to work the last time I tried it, however that didn't mean much for me as pretty much everything I need to share between ChromeOS is in Drive anyway.

It works for a little bit, but after you connect to the Windows Network Share for a while(~ 5 or 10 minutes), it craps out and crashes. The ability to connect to a network drive is a pretty basic functionality that is taken for granted in any other type of laptop computer, but doesn't really work well in Chromebooks.

Atomizer posted:

I too use Alt+Bksp for Delete, as well as CRD, but a handful of keys/combinations not working in the latter is largely just a nuisance considering how well it works otherwise.

Chrome Remote Desktop works pretty well most of the time, but 'delete' isn't really an oddball or uncommon keypress--it is kind of inexcusable why you shouldn't be able to use the delete key combination when you are remote-ing into a real computer and need to input a lot of text and make corrections.

Atomizer posted:

Yes, casting from a tab and/or using built-in website Chromecast casting (like for YouTube and Spotify) works. Playing video from a Chrome tab works.

The Android apps struggle with playing video. Some apps are better than others. Amazon Prime Video can't even play a 1/4th SD resolution video without stuttering. The video in Netflix Android App doesn't stutter, but video quality gets cranked down to worse than SD resolution, probably to be able to run without stuttering.

MrNemo posted:

Android app functionality is generally good but definitely not reliable enough yet to make a Chromebook a great choice for media consumption or general work tool if you use any non Google apps. I'm still pretty happy with it for 90% of what I want to do but there are definitely times when it can't do that.

I would say something stronger here: its Android app functionality is terrible. If I had to only run Android apps on my Chromebook, I would have returned the computer because it would have been a pretty useless device. Its Android functionality is worse than any other Android product I've used, including a cheap-o Amazon Fire tablet and a smart phone from 2011. Many Android apps don't even run, and many of the ones that do are riddled with bugs or performance problems.

MrNemo posted:

With the c302 I'm ok cause I got it fairly cheap (not quite USA fire sale prices I've seen here). It also does the other 80% of what I want pretty well. If I was having the same issues with a Pixel book though, I would be disappointed in the device.

I don't think that I am really Mr. Picky About Consumer Electronics like other people can be on this forum and in the Inspect Your Gadgets forums (I generally like Windows, and think it works well enough, I use Microsoft Edge as my main browser on my home desktop PC, I don't own a display with a resolution better than 1080p and am happy with my low-cost 43" 1080p TV set+Vizio soundbar+Roku setup, and was happy with my middle-tier Android cell phones before I recently got an iPhone SE), but I feel compelled to whine about my Chromebook in this thread because I think the OP is presenting a sort of warped view of ChromeOS gadgets which is a little misleading to potential buyers.

Chromebooks still are sort of half-baked consumer products and are really only compelling due to their lower prices when compared to Windows laptops and MacBooks.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 21, 2018

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I've been playing around with the c302 now for about an hour and this is a really, really nice machine for $400. Fit and finish are really good, and my only gripe so far is the sort of mushy keyboard and that the trackpad isn't as nice as the Apple/Google variety. I'll put it through it's paces here this week and see if it works with my workflow.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

silence_kit posted:

Chromebooks still are sort of half-baked consumer products and are really only compelling due to their lower prices when compared to Windows laptops and MacBooks.

have you considered not posting in this thread

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Statutory Ape posted:

have you considered not posting in this thread

Because I have a minority opinion of posters here, I am kind of compelled to post in this thread. This thread partially serves as a product recommendation thread.

IMO it is considerate to warn potential Chromebook buyers, like hotsauce, who really want to use the Android functionality in ChromeOS that the Android functionality isn't just rough, or unpolished, or other euphemisms--it is pretty dysfunctional. 'Plays 1080p video without half second pauses every two seconds' is a pretty low bar for a new electronics device in the year 2018, and the Android functionality in Intel-based Chromebooks can't clear it.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 22, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quote:

sure yeah you're the perfect candidate to be posting in here

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I dunno, he seems to be providing useful information...

A thread just circle jerkin over how great chromebooks are doesn't seem too useful.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

silence_kit posted:

It works for a little bit, but after you connect to the Windows Network Share for a while(~ 5 or 10 minutes), it craps out and crashes. The ability to connect to a network drive is a pretty basic functionality that is taken for granted in any other type of laptop computer, but doesn't really work well in Chromebooks.

Chrome Remote Desktop works pretty well most of the time, but 'delete' isn't really an oddball or uncommon keypress--it is kind of inexcusable why you shouldn't be able to use the delete key combination when you are remote-ing into a real computer and need to input a lot of text and make corrections.

The Android apps struggle with playing video. Some apps are better than others. Amazon Prime Video can't even play a 1/4th SD resolution video without stuttering. The video in Netflix Android App doesn't stutter, but video quality gets cranked down to worse than SD resolution, probably to be able to run without stuttering.

I don't think that I am really Mr. Picky About Consumer Electronics like other people can be on this forum and in the Inspect Your Gadgets forums (I generally like Windows, and think it works well enough, I use Microsoft Edge as my main browser on my home desktop PC, I don't own a display with a resolution better than 1080p and am happy with my low-cost 43" 1080p TV set+Vizio soundbar+Roku setup, and was happy with my middle-tier Android cell phones before I recently got an iPhone SE), but I feel compelled to whine about my Chromebook in this thread because I think the OP is presenting a sort of warped view of ChromeOS gadgets which is a little misleading to potential buyers.

I agree that networked file shares should work in any modern OS, and it sucks that for whatever reason the Google implementation isn't reliable (in my case I couldn't connect to my NAS so that's a separate issue than the one you were having) but at the very least, for my purposes, Google Drive did the same thing and there wasn't actually anything on the NAS I needed on the Chromebook.

Regarding CRD and Delete, it's not that the issue was with the latter, it's that certain key combinations aren't passed through to the remote machine. This is unfortunate in terms of usability but understandable because you have to retain some control over your host device, and apparently that includes some or all Alt-combos not working. My suggestion would be to plug in a full 104-key board because if you're really doing a ton of typing on the remote machine, you might as well have the Home/Delete rows and a full numpad for greatest usability. I mean there's a reason that when I typed up this thread I used a USB mechanical keyboard rather than literally any laptop's keyboard....

I honestly don't know why the Android apps struggle with video, because it's not like it's a hardware issue; pretty much any video formats you're going to be dealing with will have full hardware acceleration unless you're getting like VP9 and are using a >2-year-old CB. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Android apps not simply running as if they're on a native AndroidOS device and there's some additional compatibility/security layers that are crippling performance. Even then, streaming works fine (e.g. from the YT or Netflix apps) so the oddball is the local media playing performance. It sounds like the issue is with reading the file from storage (based on the reported problem being regular stuttering) so maybe the problem lies there? Not in terms of the performance of the storage medium, but on the software side, because we already know that the Android implementation is pretty restrictive/secure and you currently can't really do any file management on it and apps can't see external storage, so something's going on there that may or may not be related to the video playing problem.

You're certainly welcome to chat about your ChromeOS devices in this thread as that's the whole point. I do take exception to your "warped view of ChromeOS gadgets" line, however. What exactly do you feel is "warped," because pretty much everything I've written about is either factual (e.g. the info about what ChromeOS is, what it does, etc.) or my own experiences (i.e. what I've found I can and cannot do on CBs.) You have some minor complaints that don't exactly negate anything I've written about (networked shares are wonky, but other services work; CRD works fine, a few key combinations don't; not all Android apps work, but plenty do.) Ultimately ChromeOS still does the vast majority of tasks a typical consumer would want it to do, and some fringe elements are still unfinished. If you've got specific criticism about my presentation then you're gonna have to come up with specific examples.

silence_kit posted:

Because I have a minority opinion of posters here, I am kind of compelled to post in this thread. This thread partially serves as a product recommendation thread.

IMO it is considerate to warn potential Chromebook buyers, like hotsauce, who really want to use the Android functionality in ChromeOS that the Android functionality isn't just rough, or unpolished, or other euphemisms--it is pretty dysfunctional. 'Plays 1080p video without half second pauses every two seconds' is a pretty low bar for a new electronics device in the year 2018, and the Android functionality in Intel-based Chromebooks can't clear it.

As I've written before, I use Android apps on actual Android devices, so the ability to run them on select CBs is an added bonus but isn't a major part of my CB use-case. That being said, I've had almost exclusively great experiences running most apps on a variety of CBs. Right now, for example, I'm on an m7 HP CB 13 and I just fired up Vainglory, which is a fairly demanding 3D game. I cannot explain why you can't play cached video on your CB but I can play Vainglory just fine on mine. I also just loaded up Pocket Mortys, and, yup, it works exactly as it does on my phones and tablets! :shrug: Nevertheless, the Android Apps on ChromeOS situation is still being developed but isn't nearly as dire as you're making it out to be. Maybe come up with a list of apps that you've tested, confirming that they work/kinda work/don't work? Because you're the only one who seems to be having a terrible time with Android apps here, and if it's really not just your problem, give us examples and we can try them out to see if the problems are universal. I can add the info to the OP; if you really want to be as helpful to prospective buyers as you say you do, then try actually helping us out by providing specific examples.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Oof, that C300M has a double-whammy combo of a lovely Bay Trail CPU and <4 GB of RAM. The Pixelbook is one of the most powerful CBs around (others with similar performance are in that spreadsheet screenshot in the 2nd post with benchmark numbers listed) so it will have no problem with text files, although it's certainly not necessary that you jump to the most expensive CB (but then again you do seem to be at the point I was where you're comfortable in ChromeOS and you spend enough time on it where it makes sense to splurge for a higher-end device.)

I have no experience with the built in Chrome/Android unlock feature if that's what you're asking about as I don't have a Pixel phone. If you're just asking about simple tethering, then that works exactly as it does with any other device; your phone doesn't care if a CB or anything else is connected to its hotspot.

Also, regarding that novel you've been working on.... :D

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I have consoles for gaming, and no need for any photo or video editing capability (plus my wife has a gaming PC that would be up to those tasks if required).

Likelihood is that I'll hold off until such a time as another deal goes up. I think I just missed the free Pixel Pen deal, and UK sellers don't seem to come up with as many free Google Homes etc.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not sure I fully agree that Chromebooks are not worth the money for most people. If what you're doing is web browsing and you're in the Google eco-system (Drive, Sheets, etc.) then they're pretty great value, low maintenance laptops. All my work stuff is in GSuite so I'm very happy with it for work activities too.

I'll agree that the Android implementation is pretty hit or miss. If you want to think of them as Android devices then I can understand being extremely disappointed but I'm aware that that is a new functionality for Chromebooks. It's generally ok but it's definitely not reliable. Skype is very, very glitchy for me and the aforementioned Amazon Video issue. If I was looking for a replacement Android device I would not choose a Chromebook as of right now, although I'm hopeful Google are going to improve compatibility as it would make them actually competitive as media consumption/casual gaming devices. It's not a deal breaker but if you assume that you'll be able to do X because there's an android app you might end up very unhappy because it just doesn't work well in Chrome OS.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Deadcell27 posted:

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I have consoles for gaming, and no need for any photo or video editing capability (plus my wife has a gaming PC that would be up to those tasks if required).

Likelihood is that I'll hold off until such a time as another deal goes up. I think I just missed the free Pixel Pen deal, and UK sellers don't seem to come up with as many free Google Homes etc.

The free Home deal expired, but the free stylus promo is apparently still active at least here in the US (I checked by putting the PB+stylus combo in the cart.) This was in the official Google store, BTW.

MrNemo posted:

I'm not sure I fully agree that Chromebooks are not worth the money for most people. If what you're doing is web browsing and you're in the Google eco-system (Drive, Sheets, etc.) then they're pretty great value, low maintenance laptops. All my work stuff is in GSuite so I'm very happy with it for work activities too.

I'll agree that the Android implementation is pretty hit or miss. If you want to think of them as Android devices then I can understand being extremely disappointed but I'm aware that that is a new functionality for Chromebooks. It's generally ok but it's definitely not reliable. Skype is very, very glitchy for me and the aforementioned Amazon Video issue. If I was looking for a replacement Android device I would not choose a Chromebook as of right now, although I'm hopeful Google are going to improve compatibility as it would make them actually competitive as media consumption/casual gaming devices. It's not a deal breaker but if you assume that you'll be able to do X because there's an android app you might end up very unhappy because it just doesn't work well in Chrome OS.

It's not even a "worth the money" consideration because you don't have to buy a PB or one of the premium CBs. For $200-300 you can get a decent CB that does everything that a Windows laptop in the same price range can do, because those bottom-barrel Windows netbooks are often underpowered with tiny eMMCs and simply can't be used as extensively as a full Windows system.

I think I covered all the bases in the OP on exactly what you can do with ChromeOS; you can't do everything, but most people can get most of their work done in a browser alone, and that's exactly what CBs are built for. That's why I feel it's disingenuous to claim that this whole discussion is misleading, because the devices work exactly as described, and there is ambiguity where necessary (i.e. notice that there's no claim that 100% of Android apps work perfectly.)

It's the Android implementation that's apparently the biggest disappointment. It's certainly not a "launch feature" of CBs (considering how long they've been around,) but is something being heavily promoted, since IIRC all CBs from 2017 onward are supposed to gain Play Store access eventually. Not all CBs have access of course, and the whole system is still under development, so we need to have our expectations set accordingly. If Silence or anyone else feels disgruntled because Android apps don't work perfectly, then that's something that they incorrectly assumed, and that's their fault, not mine for advocating greater ChromeOS acceptance. Android on ChromeOS is a bonus feature, not a foundation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I just wish there were devices besides a chromebook i could run android apps on!!!!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Atomizer posted:

If Silence or anyone else feels disgruntled because Android apps don't work perfectly, then that's something that they incorrectly assumed, and that's their fault, not mine for advocating greater ChromeOS acceptance. Android on ChromeOS is a bonus feature, not a foundation.

That’s a very misleading portrait of my posts in this thread.

A guy came into the thread asking about Chromebooks and said that he wanted to buy the same Chromebook that I own and was planning on heavily using the Android functionality. I warned him that the Android implementation on the ASUS C302 is not ‘rough’ or ‘unpolished’—it is dysfunctional. And recommended that he buy a tablet or cellphone if he wants to run Android apps.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

silence_kit posted:

So, you're absolutely not wrong when it comes to Android app support. I downloaded the android Prime video app on my c302 and it's terrible. I would not use a Chromebook as a primary Android device. But the OP is also pretty clear about what Chromebooks can actually do, who they're for, and that the android apps being bonus is in fact just that, a bonus and a recent addition.

That said, Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Prime video...all work in a browser window just fine, which is the point of a Chromebook. 80% of where I spend my time is in a browser window, and I think a $400-ish machine that does just that with the fit and finish that the c302 has is a pretty good value for a modern computer, especially when you consider that there are cheaper models out there that will do the exact same job for close to half of that price.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

silence_kit posted:

A guy came into the thread asking about Chromebooks and said that he wanted to buy the same Chromebook that I own and was planning on heavily using the Android functionality. I warned him that the Android implementation on the ASUS C302 is not ‘rough’ or ‘unpolished’—it is dysfunctional. And recommended that he buy a tablet or cellphone if he wants to run Android apps.

I appreciate your posts, but...

silence_kit posted:

Doesn't exactly convey the feeling that ChromeOS is fine except for the Android experience not being the best.

On the other hand, this...

Atomizer posted:

and there is ambiguity where necessary (i.e. notice that there's no claim that 100% of Android apps work perfectly.)

is just weird. Not claiming that 100% of Android apps work perfectly is not the same thing as asserting there is ambiguity, and the claim from the OP that " pretty much all mainstream apps that you’d want to run on your CB work as expected" doesn't seem to be accurate unless you consider video streaming applications to be not-mainstream. And I would think that's pretty weird to think.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

I just wish there were devices besides a chromebook i could run android apps on!!!!

:eng101:

silence_kit posted:

No, it's not misleading because the focus of your complaints has been about ChromeOS's Android app compatibility (if not simply the performance on that one device.) It's perfectly fine to warn someone about a specific issue that they'll run into because they appear to have the exact-same use-case as you, but then you proceeded to make generalizations about ChromeOS/CBs being "half-baked."

Viper_3000 posted:

So, you're absolutely not wrong when it comes to Android app support. I downloaded the android Prime video app on my c302 and it's terrible. I would not use a Chromebook as a primary Android device. But the OP is also pretty clear about what Chromebooks can actually do, who they're for, and that the android apps being bonus is in fact just that, a bonus and a recent addition.

That said, Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Prime video...all work in a browser window just fine, which is the point of a Chromebook. 80% of where I spend my time is in a browser window, and I think a $400-ish machine that does just that with the fit and finish that the c302 has is a pretty good value for a modern computer, especially when you consider that there are cheaper models out there that will do the exact same job for close to half of that price.

This is exactly the point of this thread, and what I've been trying to clarify. ChromeOS will work exactly as designed, with the still-in-development Android app functionality being YMMV. I understand that Silence wants to cache video and play it offline for, I don't know, a flight or train ride or whatever, but aside from that CBs work perfectly for what they were originally intended (which was not caching video via an Android app.) Hell, he even complained that the Spotify app couldn't cast while admitting that the same thing worked fine via the Spotify page in Chrome....

Thermopyle posted:

On the other hand, this...

is just weird. Not claiming that 100% of Android apps work perfectly is not the same thing as asserting there is ambiguity, and the claim from the OP that " pretty much all mainstream apps that you’d want to run on your CB work as expected" doesn't seem to be accurate unless you consider video streaming applications to be not-mainstream. And I would think that's pretty weird to think.

My point was that Silence's criticism of the thread's very existence is exaggerated. Considering he claimed that this was a "warped view of ChromeOS gadgets which is a little misleading to potential buyers," I explained that, no, the information I've presented is either factual (i.e. hardware specs, correct statements on what will or won't work, etc.) or based on my experience (e.g. my opinions on what software/extensions to use, what hardware to consider/avoid.) The statement on ambiguity is exactly that: anything to which I cannot give a discrete answer is left open-ended out of necessity, not out of a desire to be misleading. And yes, in my experience, nearly all of the Android apps I've tried have worked as they do on a tablet, so I consider that statement to be accurate, however, I'll repeat that the functionality is still under active development and may not work the same on every device; this is out of my control, but I can tell you how a given app runs on a device I have accessible to me.

Beyond that, video streaming works perfectly on ChromeOS, especially anything with a Web interface. If necessary, Android apps do appear to work as well; for the hell of it I fired up Crackle and the TBS app and both streamed a movie/episode when requested. I don't have the Android versions of things like Netflix, Plex, YT, etc., installed because why would I use those when the Web pages work?

The issue is with using Android apps to play cached video, which is not streaming. It doesn't work well, and I don't know why. I can't explain it. The fact that you can use the Netflix app to stream fine but not replay downloaded video is perplexing. Given that ChromeOS wasn't designed to do that doesn't negate everything else that it can do well. Remember, my response was to the following accusation, which condemned all of the Chrome universe because one guy can't play back downloaded video on one device:

silence_kit posted:

...I feel compelled to whine about my Chromebook in this thread because I think the OP is presenting a sort of warped view of ChromeOS gadgets which is a little misleading to potential buyers.

Yes, CBs are "half-baked" and you totally shouldn't buy them because you can't replay downloaded Amazon Prime video even if you never intended to use the device for that purpose in the first place. :rolleyes:

It's me, I'm the one misleading everyone by explaining everything you can use CBs for.... :rolleyes:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Atomizer posted:

My point was that Silence's criticism of the thread's very existence is exaggerated. Considering he claimed that this was a "warped view of ChromeOS gadgets which is a little misleading to potential buyers," I explained that, no, the information I've presented is either factual (i.e. hardware specs, correct statements on what will or won't work, etc.) or based on my experience (e.g. my opinions on what software/extensions to use, what hardware to consider/avoid.) The statement on ambiguity is exactly that: anything to which I cannot give a discrete answer is left open-ended out of necessity, not out of a desire to be misleading. And yes, in my experience, nearly all of the Android apps I've tried have worked as they do on a tablet, so I consider that statement to be accurate, however, I'll repeat that the functionality is still under active development and may not work the same on every device; this is out of my control, but I can tell you how a given app runs on a device I have accessible to me.

Yes, CBs are "half-baked" and you totally shouldn't buy them because you can't replay downloaded Amazon Prime video even if you never intended to use the device for that purpose in the first place. :rolleyes:

It's me, I'm the one misleading everyone by explaining everything you can use CBs for.... :rolleyes:

I'm not going to comb through every post you made in this thread to point out how your posts are filled with advertising copy for Google, but in recent history when I pointed out issues I've noticed with my own Chromebook, you have immediately responded in a defensive way with some pretty stupid stuff. Chromebooks are consumer electronics products, not your firstborn son, or your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I pointed out that the Network File Share client is a piece of crap which crashes after you try to maintain a network drive connection for more than 5 minutes. Your response: "Who would ever want to connect their computer to a network drive? You don't need that feature anyway, use Google Drive [and pay Google for a monthly subscription for hard drive space I already have and don't need]."

I pointed out that while the Chrome Remote Desktop works well most of the time, it doesn't transmit Alt + Backspace = 'delete' key presses, which is pretty annoying if you want to remote into a real computer, input a lot of text, and make corrections. Your response: "Who would ever want to use the delete command? Well, if in the off chance you would ever want to do something so weird like use the 'delete' key, you should always connect an external keyboard to your Chromebook (a portable device which comes with a keyboard). You are holding it wrong."

When you brought up the Night Mode feature, I asked you if they fixed the functionality--when I tried it a couple of months ago it was broken. You could set the timer which automatically turns the yellow filter on and off, but the computer doesn't actually use the programmable time to turn the yellow filter on and off. Your response: "not a big deal, reasonable computer users, not weird ones like you, only use their computers at night, so it is no big deal that the yellow filter stays on when you don't want it to."

Now you are backtracking on all of the rosy stuff you wrote about Android on ChromeOS earlier in the thread and in this forum, and now are saying that I was totally unreasonable for having an expectation of basic functionality for Android on ChromeOS and for believing your earlier posts! A huge reason why I decided to get a Chromebook was that I read your and others positive reviews/comments on Chromebooks and their Android functionality in this thread and forum!

All of the above things point to Chromebooks being half-baked consumer products--I'm not being misleading at all--these are issues that only exist because Google decided to release features for their products in an unfinished state.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

This is a cool thread

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

silence_kit posted:

I'm not going to comb through every post you made in this thread to point out how your posts are filled with advertising copy for Google, but in recent history when I pointed out issues I've noticed with my own Chromebook, you have immediately responded in a defensive way with some pretty stupid stuff. Chromebooks are consumer electronics products, not your firstborn son, or your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I pointed out that the Network File Share client is a piece of crap which crashes after you try to maintain a network drive connection for more than 5 minutes. Your response: "Who would ever want to connect their computer to a network drive? You don't need that feature anyway, use Google Drive [and pay Google for a monthly subscription for hard drive space I already have and don't need]."

I pointed out that while the Chrome Remote Desktop works well most of the time, it doesn't transmit Alt + Backspace = 'delete' key presses, which is pretty annoying if you want to remote into a real computer, input a lot of text, and make corrections. Your response: "Who would ever want to use the delete command? Well, if in the off chance you would ever want to do something so weird like use the 'delete' key, you should always connect an external keyboard to your Chromebook (a portable device which comes with a keyboard). You are holding it wrong."

When you brought up the Night Mode feature, I asked you if they fixed the functionality--when I tried it a couple of months ago it was broken. You could set the timer which automatically turns the yellow filter on and off, but the computer doesn't actually use the programmable time to turn the yellow filter on and off. Your response: "not a big deal, reasonable computer users, not weird ones like you, only use their computers at night, so it is no big deal that the yellow filter stays on when you don't want it to."

Now you are backtracking on all of the rosy stuff you wrote about Android on ChromeOS earlier in the thread and in this forum, and now are saying that I was totally unreasonable for having an expectation of basic functionality for Android on ChromeOS and for believing your earlier posts! A huge reason why I decided to get a Chromebook was that I read your and others positive reviews/comments on Chromebooks and their Android functionality in this thread and forum!

All of the above things point to Chromebooks being half-baked consumer products--I'm not being misleading at all--these are issues that only exist because Google decided to release features for their products in an unfinished state.

if i got a chromebook the first thing i would do is probably throw linux on it

so obviously im not sold on chromeos by any means

i stll think you're posting in the wrong thread lol. you can't grasp why calling something 'half baked, only worth it to save money' would seem to put you at odds with commenting on something that millions of people use as intended with no problems. cool, maybe he should add a quote re: your networking and android stuff in the OP but i question how connected you are to reality if you think that the literal only reason to grab a chromebook is price point. part of the reason i grabbed an xps 13 was because some of the chromebook solutions i was eyeing were, lol, so similar in price that i figured eff it

the amount of people that 'walk into' the laptop thread and 'walk out' with a chromebook is not insignificant when they realize that the features they require work all under a chromebook

also double lol to this:

quote:

these are issues that only exist because Google decided to release features for their products in an unfinished state

thank goodness this never happens in any other personal computing product line ever

Worf fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 23, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Atomizer posted:

The issue is with using Android apps to play cached video, which is not streaming.

Oh come on. I give up with you.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I've bought a CB based around recommendations in this thread and I've reported problems with Android implementation I've seen. The OP is clearly a fan of CBs but nothing in his posts has been misleading. It sounds a lot like you purchased it with the expectation of getting a full fledged laptop or an Android device. Chrome OS is limited and it's tied into browser functionality. Yes, Chromebooks are really quite limited. The upside is that it does browswer based stuff really well, is simple, secure and pretty quick. What the OP was pointing out with the network drive wasn't that you were wrong but that the CB is designed around Google's ecosystem, which is browser based. Your issue then isn't functionality but that you want to implement that function in a particular way that makes CBs not a good choice for you.

Should CBs have a better network file share client? Almost certainly. Should they have better Android implementation, considering they're both coming from the same parent company? Again almost certainly. Are those major goals of the format and OS? No. I think the OP has been pretty up front that CBs are a limited product. The responses you've had have been suggestions on how to achieve the functionality you feel are lacking. OP never said they were the best ways to do it or that you're wrong for wanting to do it that way but wanting to do what you're doing in the way you're doing it puts you outside te intended use cases. Unless you feel someone misled you into thinking Chromebooks were full Windows Laptop replacements or laptops with full android functionality, there's really nothing here that suggests to me you were misinformed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Holy poo poo, I tossed a molotov cocktail on this thread, huh?

I ended up canceling the C302 order. I had a Pixelbook in the past, so I'm aware of the jank with PlayStore apps.

I'll sit on the sidelines for a while and see how Google de-janks some apps (i.e. Amazon Video offline stutter, etc).

Carry on, thread.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Well now we just have nothing to talk about

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: More refurb'd CBs available on Woot including the HP 13 and Samsung Plus.

silence_kit posted:

Oh I do indeed like some Google products, especially ChromeOS, and for anyone wondering, no, I'm not getting paid for this, although I probably should be!

You're right, the NFS utility should work, being a first-party Google product, but it doesn't. A viable alternative is the built-in GDrive implementation, and you can even add 3rd-party services directly to the Files app (e.g., Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.; use the "Add New Services -> Install new from the webstore" option.) Is it the same as using your own NAS? No, but ChromeOS offers viable substitutions. Again, the point of the ChromeOS ecosystem is that there are alternatives to accomplishing common tasks. Maybe you can't install Photoshop, but there are some Web-based image editors available. Maybe you prefer Firefox or Edge (lol) but Chrome does the same thing.

CRD works fine; some key combinations do not. I have a hypothetical for you: say you're using CRD installed on a Windows system A, connected to Windows system B, and you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. What happens? Do both systems respond? Just system A? There's a reason certain key combinations don't get passed through. If you're really going to huff & puff about not being able to Delete, use Ctrl-Right to skip forwards a word and then Backspace works like a reverse Delete key! AMAZING!

My reply about Night Mode was that I had no idea if it turned off or not automatically if toggled to do so, not that I was telling you it was no big deal because everyone should work 2nd shift and get home at midnight like I do. You read waaaayyyy too much into that one. :stare:

I'm not backtracking on the Android stuff - it's still in development and your mileage still may vary. I'm sorry that you feel misled because you assumed Android apps would all work perfectly - which they don't. However, most of the apps I've tried, which are generally demanding 3D games, (in addition to some video streaming apps) work surprisingly well. For example I just installed the World of Warships Blitz, and yup, I can play Botes (and other games) on my Chromebook; that's pretty loving cool! Also, WoT Blitz appears to work and I've got Hearthstone downloading as well. So it sounds like you're the one having the issues, not the ChromeOS user community as a whole, because the apps I try work! You seem to be basing your negative experience on the whole video caching thing; I'm not going to go back over it but it's simply one component of those apps that doesn't work, while in general other Android apps are fine.

And this is where we get back to you making a broad statement about ChromeOS as a whole just because one thing isn't working out for you. I'm not even offended that you're "insulting" the OS or the devices, I really don't care. But you're exhibiting absolute hyperbole, because the devices do absolutely still work as intended: you can still browse the Web, watch streaming video, listen to streaming audio, create documents/spreadsheets/presentations/etc., work on e-mail, print (with Google Print,) install some Android apps on compatible systems, edit photos, upload video to Youtube, watch porn - and it does this all in a more secure environment than your typical Windows system. Don't get me wrong, I still like Windows and use it for a couple of specific purposes, but I've never heard of a ChromeOS system getting hijacked, encrypted, and ransomed. On top of that, I'm sure you also know of plenty of less experienced computer users who could absolutely use an idiot-proof environment, especially if you're the one responsible for free tech support when something goes wrong. But you're the one who thinks the environment is "half-baked" despite it being able to do ALL of those tasks listed above...which are MOST of the tasks that MOST people perform on their computing devices, be they PCs, tablets, or smartphones. THAT's why your ridiculous raging against CBs as a whole just because you can't currently play cached video well within Android apps is utterly absurd.

Thermopyle posted:

Oh come on. I give up with you.

There's a distinction between streaming multimedia and playing cached media locally. It's a pretty important distinction here because within the context of Android-on-ChromeOS, the former works and the latter doesn't. Consider the fact that the CR-48 (the first CB) came out over 7 years ago; CBs were designed for and perform well all the tasks I listed above, and the thing that's problematic now is a specific component of specific Android apps. That component (i.e. caching content locally for offline playback) didn't even exist more than a year or two ago for the Youtube, Amazon, and especially the Netflix app (and I don't know when it was added to Plex.) The point being, the thing ChromeOS was designed to do well from the start - streaming video - works fine, and the new feature - installing apps, downloading video to whatever segregated portion of storage, and playing it back - doesn't particularly work. It's significant, but only within the context of it being one of the petty reasons Silence is condemning the entire ecosystem despite it working perfectly for the tasks for which it was originally designed.

Statutory Ape posted:

Well now we just have nothing to talk about

This is fine, this is all totally relevant content to discuss, but we need to get on the same page here. I'm more than happy to help clear up what will and won't specifically work on our devices and in turn set appropriate expectations. The whole "CHROME IS GARBAGE BECAUSE I CAN'T SEND A KEY COMBINATION REMOTELY ARGRGRGRGGRR!!!" rhetoric has to go, though.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 24, 2018

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I had a chromebook that I ended up giving away to a university. They are pretty nice but there is limited functionality beyond the typical word processing, internet surfing, Youtube, & social media

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

A3th3r posted:

I had a chromebook that I ended up giving away to a university. They are pretty nice but there is limited functionality beyond the typical word processing, internet surfing, Youtube, & social media

Yeah, that's the point, they're good for the general-purpose poo poo that everybody does.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, that's the point, they're good for the general-purpose poo poo that everybody does.

I think part of the problem is that people who need to code, want to play games or do photo and video editing are in the minority. For them, a windows or Mac system is essential. For most people, they want to to go on Facebook, watch YouTube videos and write their resumé. That's all achievable on a Chromebook.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Deadcell27 posted:

I think part of the problem is that people who need to code, want to play games or do photo and video editing are in the minority. For them, a windows or Mac system is essential. For most people, they want to to go on Facebook, watch YouTube videos and write their resumé. That's all achievable on a Chromebook.

Well yeah that's exactly my rationale for recommending CBs to people: they do most tasks for most people.

And what you mentioned is exactly my use-case: I use a Windows desktop for gaming and Plex, and literally everything else I do on ChromeOS. That's why I had to argue above about how the OS isn't "half-baked," unusable, broken, etc., because one guy couldn't do one specific, tiny thing when literally everything else works well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i had to return my motorcycle because i could only use it to reliably commute to work every day but when i tried to bring my sons soccer team to a game it wouldnt work? i think they should have probably tested the design more before release

mystes
May 31, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

i had to return my motorcycle because i could only use it to reliably commute to work every day but when i tried to bring my sons soccer team to a game it wouldnt work? i think they should have probably tested the design more before release

quote:

:confused: I'm considering buying a motorcycle but I'm worried about the limitations. Maybe a minivan would be more suitable for my purposes?

:colbert: No, get a motorcycle! It can do everything you need it to!

:confused: OK, I bought it but I can't seem to use it to bring my son's soccer team to a game?

:colbert: Normal people don't need to bring their kids' soccer team to games, you weirdo. And we never said it can do that; why did you expect that it could?

:confused: Wow, motorcycles are pretty limited; I wish you hadn't told me it could do everything I need it to, so I'm posting here so other people are aware of these limitations.

:colbert: Why are you attacking us and motorcycles?!! Get out of this thread!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:lolplant: : I have strong opinions on consumer electronics and need to argue over them on the internet

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Papa John Misty posted:

:lolplant: : I have strong opinions on consumer electronics and need to argue over them on the internet

I take it you thought this was the subforum dedicated to various bowel movements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ChromeOS tablet from acer announced :getin:

Although I did just grab that z3s 10 inch tab from asus. Its a pretty good general purpose device so far. I got a bt keyboard folio thing with it and tried it with a bt mouse i had kickin around. Made me want a ChromeOS tab pretty bad