Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Welcome to the daily drawings and doodles thread!

Are you doing a daily drawing challenge for a month or year? Post here!
Doodle something cool that's not good enough to go anywhere else? Post here!
Don't feel confident enough to call your art "art" yet? Post here!
Finished a thing in a day? Post here!
Sketches, studies, artistic successes and failures, paintings real and digital, incomplete efforts, technique/colour/material tests, poo poo you drew in the margins of your textbook? :justpost: :justpost: :justpost:
No art is too terrible to post.

Critique etiquette is as follows:

When someone is not asking for a critique, please remember that a little bit goes a long way.

When someone IS asking for critique, there's no need to try and soften the blow. Feel free to nitpick everything apart.

When you're asking for critique, please give a bit of background on the piece. For example, what were you trying to achieve, what is the purpose/use of the finished product, what things you'd especially like to hear opinions on, that sorta thing. If you're asking how to improve, the answer's always gonna be "draw from life". Every time, no matter what you want to get better at.

When you're giving critique, consider providing a way to fix any errors you're pointing out, or ways to improve the piece. Absolutely feel free to just post feelgood fluff about what great artists we all are and how we nail everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Kicking it off with fishwife.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

A brown boot!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

:swoon:

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh man, i really like the texture of the skin and freckles on that one

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I thought I'd try something different and welp that's just the risk you take.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I thought I'd try something different and welp that's just the risk you take.

Feel like this is still "save-able". You just really need to push your values in the shadow areas. Right now it feels like you really just have your mid-tones blocked out, making it just kinda looks like a reddish, pink blob.

edit: Have stuff to post, but i broke my drat phone. Really just too lazy to bother with scanning stuff right now.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010

i have eyebrow jealousy from this

how many rabbit (or rabbit like creatures) will i stick on one page of a sketchbook? the answer is always going to be "at least one more."

the rabbit hearted one is the only one i actually took a clean version of by itself, so that version too

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Arbor posted:

how many rabbit (or rabbit like creatures) will i stick on one page of a sketchbook? the answer is always going to be "at least one more."

Cute! Love the rabbit plush things stacked on top of each other.

Al! posted:

oh man, i really like the texture of the skin and freckles on that one

Thanks. :) Making that texture was my favorite part.

Something I started working on today. Toshiro Mifune in Snow Trail.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Woah. Very nice. Teach me your ways.

Meanwhile... this is what happens when doodling during Ancient Aliens... or something.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Singer Sargent study.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

smallmouth posted:

Singer Sargent study.

I love it. Your brushwork always amazes me.

sigma 6 posted:

Woah. Very nice. Teach me your ways.

Thank you. :) All I can say is keep practicing! With that particular painting I used the basic round brush for most of it. Then at the end I used a textured brush I downloaded to create the freckles/skin texture. I was also playing around with the mixer tool a bit just to see if I could get a more painterly look, but I don't think it was really successful.

Progress. I think I fixed the eyes?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this one was fun to do

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ahhhh those cross-hatches just healed my sole.

dog nougat posted:

Feel like this is still "save-able". You just really need to push your values in the shadow areas. Right now it feels like you really just have your mid-tones blocked out, making it just kinda looks like a reddish, pink blob.

Thank you for spending time thinking about it, but I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble of salvaging. I think it would take a lot more than some tone-foolery to save that one.
My opinion might be slightly tinted by the fact that it was just another pic where not a single step came easily and I just wanted to SCREM.

I love them squishy bunny blobs! :h::h::h:

I've been playing Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and here's one of the animals you can make friends with, his name is Beau.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I've been considering doing a "Wiki-Hell" about how not to date but I wasn't sure I could draw Aziz Ansari, overjoyed with this 5 minute first attempt :wink:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

There once was an unfinished head in a sketchbook. I tried to add a body. I dunno. Man hands (?)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Spinster posted:

I've been considering doing a "Wiki-Hell" about how not to date but I wasn't sure I could draw Aziz Ansari, overjoyed with this 5 minute first attempt :wink:

I think you nailed him spins

anyways here's a depiction of a typical reptilian overlord

sigma 6 posted:

There once was an unfinished head in a sketchbook. I tried to add a body. I dunno. Man hands (?)

I can't see the image :confused: I tried going to the URL too and it just shows some text

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

I drew Maui recently at the request of my little cousin. I found it really drat enjoyable.

I've felt like I've taken on a nice leap forward in my digital art recently. Had a nice period were I just look at what I'm drawing and feel like I've developed rather than being static!

I'm still really struggling with hair, and I think my art sometimes looks a little flat so I'd welcome tips. In general though I think finally shaking this expectation that I've "gotta have good line art" because thats what most digital artists seem to do has allowed me to just draw more confidently and freely.

Jake Snake posted:

Progress. I think I fixed the eyes?

Wow. This is real nice and pretty much exactly the sort of style I want to end up at one day! Excellent work.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 21, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

I think you nailed him spins
I can't see the image :confused: I tried going to the URL too and it just shows some text

From this link? It is just Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/grey_hash/39775820432/sizes/o/

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

I think some flickr settings block viewing images if the person viewing isn't also logged in to flickr? I'm not sure.

EDIT: I love the way you've drawn that glass by the way. Really looks reflective.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

If it helps I could see that and I'm positive I've never logged in or joined flickr.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I've been playing Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and here's one of the animals you can make friends with, his name is Beau.

So cute! I love the colors. But how does he hold his tea without hands?!?

d3c0y2 posted:

Wow. This is real nice and pretty much exactly the sort of style I want to end up at one day! Excellent work.

Aw, that means a lot. Thank you. :)

I'm calling this done. I was working on it last night when the power shut off in the middle of saving and corrupted my file. I'm too angry to continue.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Jake Snake posted:

I'm calling this done. I was working on it last night when the power shut off in the middle of saving and corrupted my file. I'm too angry to continue.

Looks fantastic! Do you mostly work on a workstation of tablet computer? Actually - for that matter - how many of the people in this thread use something portable like an ipad pro or mobile studio pro vs. non mobile workstation vs. laptop with a plugin tablet?

I should just make a poll.

Spinster: Thank you. Was getting worried for a second.

smallmouth posted:

Singer Sargent study.

Did you do that in photoshop or uh... painter... as indicated?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 21, 2018

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Did you do that in photoshop or uh... painter... as indicated?

Procreate. Painter is literally my last name.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is painter still a program that people use widely? i used to play with it a lot when i was a kid

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Looks fantastic! Do you mostly work on a workstation of tablet computer? Actually - for that matter - how many of the people in this thread use something portable like an ipad pro or mobile studio pro vs. non mobile workstation vs. laptop with a plugin tablet?
Desktop. I have a tablet but I don't really use it for drawing because my eyes are bad and I prefer a bigger screen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

Desktop. I have a tablet but I don't really use it for drawing because my eyes are bad and I prefer a bigger screen.

pissed off the wrong chud, huh? this is for you

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al! posted:

pissed off the wrong chud, huh? this is for you
nah actually I think jose gave these out, I made the mistake of posting in the SoyBoy thread

never stop posting these animations friend :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

Thank you! I work on my desktop, using a Wacom tablet. I am seriously considering getting a Cintiq though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Al! posted:

is painter still a program that people use widely? i used to play with it a lot when i was a kid

Artists like Android Jones still uses Painter AFAIK. He was one of their main proponents at one time.

smallmouth: So you use an Ipad, obviously. Is there something similar to Procreate for PC?

d3c0y2: Thanks! I actually redrew the glass to be a bit bigger and I don't think I like it as much.

Thanks for all the responses. I am ready to get upgrade to a tablet computer and I am trying to figure out if it is wise to get a tablet or stick to a hybrid laptop type format. Every time I draw in my sketchbook I wonder why I am not painting digitally instead and inevitably it is because my computer is nowhere near me and a sketchbook is simply easier to carry around.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 22, 2018

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Probably? I’ve only ever used PS with a Wacom and Procreate with an iPad. Procreate is definitely more painterly than PS, but it still has a ways to go imo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

smallmouth: So you use an Ipad, obviously. Is there something similar to Procreate for PC?

I've always liked ArtRage. I think it's similar to Procreate in that it's not like Photoshop or Clip Studio.

I need to get around to trying Mischief.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

d3c0y2 posted:

I'm still really struggling with hair, and I think my art sometimes looks a little flat so I'd welcome tips.

You've got the main body of hair down pat, all you've gotta do is add a couple of sharp, errant strands that follow the curvature of hair, but stand out. Slightly more visible (thicker) than on the right eyebrow since , but that's what you'd want in the hair. Use a harder-edged brush so they don't come out too soft.

a hole-y ghost posted:

anyways here's a depiction of a typical reptilian overlord

I, for one, welcome our Argonian overlords. We've had a zero-tolerance policy on Skooma for far too long!

Jake Snake posted:

So cute! I love the colors. But how does he hold his tea without hands?!?

:ssh: Magic. The same way he hands me a bags of goods that pop into existence from his loin area.

Also I feel you pain :rip: motivation, hope you didn't break A Thing

I absolutely love the Crypt of the Forbidden Can!

Wild and freeeee

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Wild and freeeee

awesome!

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

A portrait from today:

Some inquiries into sleep-deprivation-and-indigestion-induced visual distortions:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always liked ArtRage. I think it's similar to Procreate in that it's not like Photoshop or Clip Studio.

I need to get around to trying Mischief.

Yeah - Krita, Mischief and Verve are all software packages I want to use more. Verve was really fun when I played around with it.

Although this is not the 3d thread, a cool "painterly" 3d software package is Polybrush. Sort like Sculptris but more powerful IMO.

Doodling dragons again.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Wild and freeeee

*manic laughter goes here*

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 22, 2018