Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd consider Colorado and Calgary two teams who would really benefit from Nash during a playoff run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps looking like dogshit. 0-1-2 in three games at home, with the loss against loving Niemi.

Ovechkin’s having himself a pretty good year though

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Coffey is apparently gonna be a 'skills development coach', which to be honest makes more sense than most of the other Glory Days hires.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Porty seems to think Nash is eventually going to wind up back in Columbus but that it wouldn't be until maybe two contracts from now.

that seems like a weird thing to baselessly speculate about

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am pretty sure nash still gets booed when he comes back to columbus, i can't imagine it being a happy reunion if it happened

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aye Doc posted:

i am pretty sure nash still gets booed when he comes back to columbus, i can't imagine it being a happy reunion if it happened

That would be very stupid because Nash is still very good at hockey and the rangers can afford to retain.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Leafs will trade for Nash so that they can play him with Kadri and finally bump Komarov to the fourth line where he belongs. Don Cherry and Pierre McGuire will both gush about uniting two former London Knights studs as their dominant two-way play leads the Leafs to a Cup.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

eXXon posted:

The Leafs will trade for Nash so that they can play him with Kadri and finally bump Komarov to the fourth line where he belongs. Don Cherry and Pierre McGuire will both gush about uniting two former London Knights studs as their dominant two-way play leads the Leafs to a Cup.

I don't even think they have the cap space for him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aye Doc posted:

Nah he'd get cheered like crazy. It'd be a poor man version's of Jagr coming back to Pittsburgh.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Porty seems to think Nash is eventually going to wind up back in Columbus but that it wouldn't be until maybe two contracts from now.

Nash has already made over $90m and isn't ripe for overpaying. I suspect he's more inclined to follow his heart, either staying in New York, going home to Columbus, or chasing a cup with another team.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

benning will trade for nash at the deadline to aid in the canucks playoff push

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sell everyone that isnt named DeBrincat, Hartman, Saad or Schmaltz.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

that seems like a weird thing to baselessly speculate about

I'm having trouble finding the story now but his guess was basically what Zodijackylite said about one more contract with NYR or another contender and then maybe running out the clock in Columbus.

Aye Doc posted:

The fans have given up on booing him for the most part- he wasn't even really booed Opening Night 2015. My theory is it's because the team is much better off now than they were when he left and his departure was part of the catalyst for that. Jeff Carter still gets it full-force, though.

T-Bone posted:

Nah he'd get cheered like crazy. It'd be a poor man version's of Jagr coming back to Pittsburgh.

Or LeBron/Cleveland.

Portzline's feeling would it would be "play a couple more years in Columbus and hang 'em up" as opposed to was one of those lame-assed sign and immediately retire "YAY I RETIRED A (team name) MEMBER!" like Alfie, Modano, etc..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'd consider Colorado and Calgary two teams who would really benefit from Nash during a playoff run.

Calgary doesn't have picks to give up, really, they'd have to send a player back. We gave up the 1st and 2nd in the Hamonic trade.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Golden Knights have the best record in the NHL. Hands up if you predicted that.

Put your damned hands down, you liars.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Vegas is alone in first place in the entire NHL. Games are even with Tampa.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
That's pretty cool. Beginning of the season they'd have been huge underdogs for the playoffs and now they're.. cup contenders?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Honestly the Devils could use him, although I'd rather see them get a real 2C because Zajac looks dead.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Honestly the Devils could use him, although I'd rather see them get a real 2C because Zajac looks dead.

He'd be great in their system but yeah Zajac's contract is looking rough. He's a 3C at this point and I'd prefer the Devils get a bona fide center to play under Hischier.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Knights' first playoff series is going to be very very interesting.

I mean they'll probably steamroll whatever WC team they draw, just like the regular season. But until then, it's intriguing!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think Nashville, St. Louis, and Winnipeg are real tough matchups for them in round two, but they should get out of the first.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

T-Bone posted:

I think Nashville, St. Louis, and Winnipeg are real tough matchups for them in round two, but they should get out of the first.

If Schwartz doesn't pick up where he left off when he returns shortly, the Blues aren't getting out of round one.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

One thing Vegas has going for it in the post-season is the reliable, steady-handed playoff goaltending of Marc Andre Fleury

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vegas will probably have to play a central team so I could easily see them losing in round 1. But regardless of what happens, what an inaugural year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

One thing Vegas has going for it in the post-season is the reliable, steady-handed playoff goaltending of Marc Andre Fleury

The steady-handed playoff goaltending of Marc Andre Fleury that almost singlehandedly got Pittsburgh past Columbus and Washington last year? If they get inconceivably competent MAF...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 22, 2018

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Man this is MAF 2.0 - the one who shuts teams out in Game 7...

2012 MAF is dead

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
the MAF is dead, long live the MAF!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I just want to say that Vegas is cool and good and I’m happy for Lessail and all the Knights fans

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
hell of a way for a new franchise to go in it's first year - I wonder how that's going to translate for building a long term fan-base - seems like a really good start

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

While the Rangers are still holding on to a wildcard spot with some games in hand, their terrible play in front of an outstanding Henrik Lundqvist made me think: If the Rangers were sellers at the deadline, what could these players realistically bring in return? They'll have 6.5m in cap space at the deadline - more than enough to retain half the salary on three players. Here are the impending UFAs:

Michael Grabner - He has scored 20 goals at even strength and is an excellent penalty killer. His role on the Rangers - taking advantage of sheltered third-line starts, is exactly where he'd be on a contender.
Potential return: A first-round pick expected to be towards the end of the round

Rick Nash - Having a timely resurgence, he isn't quite a top six forward, but he's a reliable penalty killer and can still match up against top competition, making him a valuable depth player. Could add a bit to a second PP unit.
Potential return: A second-round pick, if he stays hot.

David Desharnais - A depth center with 21 points who wins over 55% of faceoffs, but also doesn't look very good. He doesn't kill penalties and isn't going to add to a second power play unit, so he'd strictly be limited to a fourth line role on a better team, probably 8-10m per night. Also a "veteran presence" to some old-tyme hockey GMs who probably aren't making the playoffs.
Potential return: A late round pick or a C-level prospect

Paul Carey - A surprisingly good depth player who has filled a fourth-line role well. Probably ends up being a 13th forward on a good team, but he brings some experience and consistency.
Potential return: A similar younger player, on the bubble between being a career AHLer and a serviceable fourth-liner.

Nick Holden - Plays big minutes, big body presence, big red flags on his fancy stats. I'm not sure if other teams might want him to shore up their defensive depth, but his hot/cold play could make him a useful #6/7.
Potential return: The value of Nick Holden had previously been set as a 4th round pick but I'm skeptical about that.

Ondrej Pavelec - A goalie with a lot of NHL experience who occasionally looks like an NHL goalie. If traded, he'll be a third-string goalie as injury insurance.
Potential return: A third-string goalie and a conditional late round pick that is only sent if he plays NHL games.

we should trade mcdonagh

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The Golden Knights surging while the Raiders struggled and UNLV basketball continues dying is helping

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

JawKnee posted:

hell of a way for a new franchise to go in it's first year - I wonder how that's going to translate for building a long term fan-base - seems like a really good start

They sure as hell got me, and I didn't give a poo poo about any sports whatsoever before they showed up :shobon:

(e) Finally remembered to buy a ticket to go see VGK play. Columbus Blue Jackets at T-Mobile Arena, upper center, about ten rows back. Should be a great old time :toot:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 22, 2018

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Krime posted:

Man this is MAF 2.0 - the one who shuts teams out in Game 7...

2012 MAF is dead

I really want to go to the Vegas game in Pittsburgh but gently caress spending $100 on a standing room ticket. Been sold out forever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/955434515874435072

I'm guessing this is just to stash Alt in the press box but who knows

E: ohhhhhh good. This will totally be good.

https://twitter.com/johnborukNBCS/status/955435549829058561

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 22, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/955446198713843712

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/955447542032031744

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I loving hate the NHL owners, so much.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Thank you again for reminding me how unwatchable this hockey tournament is going to be.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It'll be fun to see how Rasmus Dahlin does and see how hyped up he gets before the draft. It will not be fun to see the Oilers win the lottery and get him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It was unwatchable the second they picked South Korea. How would you watch all these games at 2:40 or 7:10 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I loving hate the NHL owners, so much.

psst, this isn't on the owners

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread