Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

sponges posted:

What is the worst Godzilla movie?

Final Wars for me. It ended up being one of the most disappointing movies I've even seen ( and I saw it the same year Revenge of the Sith came out). Way too much focus on the human characters, even for a Godzilla film. I was hoping for some good, interesting monster fights, but those mostly ended up being Godzilla going through and one-shotting most of the other monsters. What I had hyped up in my head of what it would potentially have didn't deliver, and just ended up being a big bummer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

sponges posted:

What is the worst Godzilla movie?

Five worst IMO are, from worst to least-worst:

vs. Spacegodzilla
G'98
Final Wars
vs. Mothra '92
Revenge

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HannibalBarca posted:

vs. Mothra '92

whaaaaaat

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

any movie that opens up with a blatant Indiana Jones rip-off has to earn its way back into my good graces and Mothra '92 failed to do so

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

any movie that opens up with a blatant Indiana Jones rip-off has to earn its way back into my good graces and Mothra '92 failed to do so

But you really think it's worse than like...Godzilla 2000?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

But you really think it's worse than like...Godzilla 2000?

Godzilla 2000 is tied with Tokyo SOS as my favorite film of the Millennium (excluding Shin and G'14) series, actually

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's the weirdest poo poo given that GMK and Godzilla x Mechagodzilla are chillin' right there.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

C. E. Croix posted:

Final Wars for me. It ended up being one of the most disappointing movies I've even seen ( and I saw it the same year Revenge of the Sith came out). Way too much focus on the human characters, even for a Godzilla film. I was hoping for some good, interesting monster fights, but those mostly ended up being Godzilla going through and one-shotting most of the other monsters. What I had hyped up in my head of what it would potentially have didn't deliver, and just ended up being a big bummer for me.

final wars is actually the best one

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also the terrible english speaking people they hired off the street for final wars were entertainingly bad, the bodies off the streets in shin were just boring bad

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, Space Godzilla is definitely the worst. It's like, worse than the sum of its parts too. parts that include:

some of the worst "action" in the entire franchise, wherein the monsters spend half the fights just standing around looking angry at each other and literally not moving while glitter flies through the air.
Turning the baby godzilla that looked like well, a baby godzilla, into the most super deformed shape you can imagine for "cute" points that don't at all work, to the point where the next movie he was back to looking like a smaller version of G
Completely wasting the boring human plot of the "control probe" thing they put on G, which was definitely just to tie in to the SNES game whose plot no longer matched the film (see note below on Bagan)
Going from Super Mechagodzilla, one of the most effective and coolest human end creations to M.O.G.U.R.A. who is absolutely useless and there simply as yet another callback to the Showa era of Toho
A human subplot of "Wants revenge on G, but grows to respect him instead by the end" that is as phoned in and not at all given any effort as any subplot in the whole franchise
Shoehorning in of Miki Saegusa even more awkwardly than in Vs King Ghidorah
Replacing Bagan, arguably a pretty neat and 100% original kaiju, at the last minute with SG, a creature whose suit is so big and heavy that the best they can do is have him use psychic powers to move giant crystals around instead of fight for himself, and is basically "Godzilla...but BIGGER" and has the most technobabble nonsense backstory ever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What was that Gamera trailer that came out a couple of years ago? The one where a father and son are chased by a flock of Gaos and Gamera saves them? Was it a fan made thing?

Also:

https://twitter.com/FilmStruck/status/954511387585228800

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2018

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

That's the weirdest poo poo given that GMK and Godzilla x Mechagodzilla are chillin' right there.

Tokyo SOS is basically GxMG but better. I've never liked GMK because I don't like the weird blending of magic with Godzilla's character. Keep that poo poo with Mothra where it belongs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The ones I think are weakest are Megalon and X Megaguirus. Space Godzilla, I like the look and atmosphere of it and some of the characters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about Space Godzilla is that it's the movie they just did not care about. That's what galls me.

Like despite all of the monsters looking great (MOG is great)

Godzilla's suit is literally falling apart. Some of the fingers are super stretched or torn and the tail is in tatters, especially near the tip where it's barely holding on. Seeing this in the Showa Era was amusing and a sign of the times

Seeing this here is just really sad and pathetic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think Space Godzilla suffered the worst from the "immobile monsters shooting laser beams at each other because we made the suits too bulky" problem the Heisei films had.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Planet of Monsters was... interesting, all right overall.

One problem it had was the animated Godzilla seemed way too stiff. That whole semi-3D digital-assisted animation style is interesting and creates some neat visuals but I'm not sure it worked on a big organic creature like Godzilla- on top of that, of course, there were likely budgetary limitations. I liked the aesthetic of the overall film, there are some lovely shots in it and the spaceships and mecha all look great, but Godzilla was a bit of a letdown. (Also the way he was colored/textured seemed a little flat. Like they're aiming for a certain aesthetic with the kaiju but you lose a bit of personality as a result.)

Also suffers from the protagonist being kind of static, at least if you take it as a standalone feature (which I sorta did since it's feature length and played theatrically in Japan)- from the start he's fanatically dedicated to destroying Godzilla and reclaiming Earth and that doesn't change. By the end he's kinda been shown up, but that's leaving it up to whatever the follow-up is. Similarly the other characters are flat enough that the various times they're imperiled don't really register.

So, mostly good visuals, writing could definitely use another pass, and I hope they're able to make Godzilla do more in future animations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
So I've been recapping all the Godzilla movies that I either haven't seen or haven't seen since I was a kid, and I just got up to Destroy All Monsters. Some stray thoughts:

- More-or-less a retread of Monster Zero, but with a much less humanitarian stance. The aliens here are exclusively presented as nefarious beings, whereas in Monster Zero, there's a tragedy made out of the possibility that the humans and aliens could or should have united in common cause.

- Related to the above, the alien villains of the film are now explicitly some kind of matriarchal society. There are implied men and children among them, but we only ever see women in positions of power. The kicker is that the film begins with the brave astronaut on a video-chat with his scientist girlfriend and being condescending to her, and then suddenly these nightmarish feminist invaders take over her mind and start letting monsters loose on the world.

- The climactic brawl is just brutal. King Ghidorah is a historically 'bad guy' monster, but here you actually really feel for him. Akira Ifukube's score sets the tone very well, it's not at all like Monster Zero, where the monsters have been freed of mind control and are just 'naturally' opposing one another. Here it's explicit that each side is just a slave to their humanoid oppressors. As always, the greatest monster of all is humanity.

Also, just for kicks, here's the dope AIP trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIxaQ-iOV0

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ones I think are weakest are Megalon and X Megaguirus. Space Godzilla, I like the look and atmosphere of it and some of the characters.

Megaguirus gets worse every time I watch it. That director has to thank his lucky stars they let him do two more, seeing as how the movie was lousy and underperformed financially.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Planet of the Monsters felt more like an anime movie featuring godzilla than a godzilla movie that happened to be anime. Therefore we get assloads of exposition and melodramatic angst, because if there is one thing Japanese anime gas told me, it is that animation us limited only by how much talking can be crammed into every scene. It bears repeating what others have said but nobody ever shuts up in this movie. Like most other anime, for that matter.

I won't give it bad marks for having paper thin characters because humans are mostly secondary anyways in these movies. Not every film can have a Serizawa. However, I honestly thought the two black alien dudes were the same guy until they were actually standing next to one another. Good visuals but horribly samey character designs.
I feel like a film set during the 50 year war against Godzilla would have been more fun, but the Montage of fuckups at the start was entertaining.

Cinematography was alright until the action scenes started. Apart from the jetbike attacks, most of the fight scenes are either way too hectic and dense without a proper camera sense, or they are too far away. Cutting to a wide shot every single time godzilla fused his atomic breath git old really fast.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I bought this mega-set from Amazon that had seven movies for twelve bucks. I think I’ve seen all of them at one point or another but one of them, which was GMK.

Man, I thought that movie was loving awesome and I cannot believe I’d never seen it!

I thought the effects were spectacular, I really dug the idea of Godzilla animated by the spirit of war dead, and seeing Ghidorah teaming up with the good guys was a trip.

I think I shall have to put it in my top five and I am frankly ashamed as a G Fan to have missed it for so long.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: doubleposted

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 30, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hot-take: Godzilla vs. Megalon is hella underrated.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

I find the Bad Showa movies more enjoyable than anything in Heisei besides G'84, honestly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

K. Waste posted:

Absolutely. It's a very funny movie, and I admire the director's willingness to execute certain ideas even if they look "bad."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Absolutely. It's a very funny movie, and I admire the director's willingness to execute certain ideas even if they look "bad."

It's a very natural progression of the psychedelic aesthetics of the last two films. The special effects don't look "bad," they look cheap. The design itself is actually very flamboyant and expressive despite its limitations. It's the same psychedelic feeling of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, but with an in-between point of restraint between that and Gigan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God knows it has a lot more imagination than most of the Showa Gamera films

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gorgeous.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I think my first three movie-going experiences as a wee little boy in the 1970's were 1) Benji, 2) Herbie Rides Again, and 3) Godzilla vs Megalon.

It rules but I can't look at it objectively. I think one of my takeaways was that I wished I had a cool uncle who could build a Jet Jaguar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get the others but why this? This is...nothing. I don't get it. Half the time people post the screen shots I'm like nodding my head, and then see one or two and go...whu..huh??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

K. Waste posted:

You can't say no to Jet Jaguar.

Personal favourite is still Godzilla vs King Ghidorah though. Time travel, lasers and dinosaurs fighting in WW2.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

CelticPredator posted:

I get the others but why this? This is...nothing. I don't get it. Half the time people post the screen shots I'm like nodding my head, and then see one or two and go...whu..huh??

It's an example of the special effects work becoming so cheap that it's veritably avant-garde. It's just a composite shot of a miniature spinning around on a wire in between a rain of sparks and debris that doesn't even match.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

I find the Bad Showa movies more enjoyable than anything in Heisei besides G'84, honestly.

Vs Biollante is better than 84.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Vs Biollante is better than 84.

counterpoint: Godzilla should be the weirdest part of a serious Godzilla movie, and adding magic and transmigration of souls into the mix throws off that dynamic

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

counterpoint: Godzilla should be the weirdest part of a serious Godzilla movie,

That's stupid.

You're really complaining about a ghost possessing the monstrous hybrid form of Godzilla crossed with a rose?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think what I like about the Monsterverse take on Godzilla and King Kong as 'superspecies' is that it adds to their horror and wonder; they're not just 'aliens' like Pacific Rim Kaiju or half of Godzilla's rogues galleries, nor flimsily justified 'mutants' that no one can take seriously anymore, they are living creatures, remains of an ecosystem and world that long predates humanity, but is also part of the same great family of life on Earth, and a place like Skull Island is a reminder that humanity isn't necessarily destined to be the dominant species on the planet. Kinda brings it back to the existential wonder and terror of nature unleashed, and the nuclear elements are played differently, with Godzilla being nature's harnessing of nuclear power, rather than humanity's attempts to control the splitting of the atom. (And like I've said, I love that it's basically canonising one fan theory that kaiju are basically the result of animals with natural nuclear reactors incorporated into them)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's kinda telling that Godzilla in the original context is our fault and in the context of the American film just was always around, we didn't do that, no sir. No blood on our hands. In fact, if you look at it truthfully, he's kind of a hero isn't he? He protects America, and you know America needs protection, especially if other less friendly Godzilla's are around. We need a deterrent after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't get how they handwaved away all the fallout that would have come from detonating a nuke in a boat half a mile out from San Francisco. There's already an explanation from Godzilla vs Destroyah that Godzilla could absorb the radiation to heal himself and prevent fallout, but Legendary Goji just wakes up like he had a bad hangover and goes back to the ocean with no mention of the damage a multi megaton bomb would have going off nearby a populated city.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

remusclaw posted:

It's kinda telling that Godzilla in the original context is our fault and in the context of the American film just was always around, we didn't do that, no sir. No blood on our hands. In fact, if you look at it truthfully, he's kind of a hero isn't he? He protects America, and you know America needs protection, especially if other less friendly Godzilla's are around. We need a deterrent after all.

No one washes the blood from their hands. The prologue of the opening credit sequence is cryptic, but it's very straightforward: In attempting to destroy Godzilla, the U.S. military directly endangers the lives of hundreds, if not thousands of people. We are explicitly shown these indigenous victims who live at the margins of these operations and 'testing.'

This is a faithful adaptation of the terror that informed the opening of Gojira. In case it's not clear what Americans dropping a bomb on Godzilla is supposed to evoke, the image then dissolves to smoky white, nuclear fallout trickling from the sky, a sorrowful dirge rising on the soundtrack.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

K. Waste posted:

No one washes the blood from their hands. The prologue of the opening credit sequence is cryptic, but it's very straightforward: In attempting to destroy Godzilla, the U.S. military directly endangers the lives of hundreds, if not thousands of people. We are explicitly shown these indigenous victims who live at the margins of these operations and 'testing.'

This is a faithful adaptation of the terror that informed the opening of Gojira. In case it's not clear what Americans dropping a bomb on Godzilla is supposed to evoke, the image then dissolves to smoky white, nuclear fallout trickling from the sky, a sorrowful dirge rising on the soundtrack.

It's definitely revisionist in the sense that Bikini Atoll would be much more forgivable if the US had been trying to destroy a giant monster, rather than just "gently caress you we want to do testing here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's definitely revisionist in the sense that Bikini Atoll would be much more forgivable if the US had been trying to destroy a giant monster, rather than just "gently caress you we want to do testing here."

I think it swings back around with the context of WHICH monster they're trying to destroy

AKA Godzilla, the one thing keeping this planet from becoming turbo hosed. In trying to destroy one of the only good things in the world, all America accomplishes is killing and harming innocent people. The rest of the movie is no kinder to the American military either.

Also if your takeaway from Gojira is something as simple as Nukes Bad America At Fault, you really missed a lot of the deeper themes.

That sentence right there is what sets Gojira apart from almost every single other giant monster movie by the by, because I can talk about deeper themes and NOT be pretentious.