Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

veni veni veni posted:

The bloater fight in TLOU at the high school on Grounded mode, is the worst thing I've ever tried to do in a video game. I think I've died 50 times and it doesn't even seem like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I've beaten it on Grounded twice and there's worse sections TO BE SURE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

I've beaten it on Grounded twice and there's worse sections TO BE SURE.

Which? I can't think of any section that is as straight-up difficult as that due to the lack of options; if you don't go into it with enough resources, it's possible to have literally no chance of winning.

At least in the other "hardest section" - Ellie in the cabin with David - you will constantly get resources. If you juke around and let Bill do a lot of killing, you can get the last hit in on some of the Runners and get ammo from them but Bloaters being the absolute fuckers they are it's unlikely to be enough ammo to even kill it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe it's in the way I played but I generally always had a molotov or two for that segment.

The cabin part just takes me a while every time, and some of the segments, especially where they removed the checkpoints (alone with Sam, the loving sniper segment which is easy as hell if you look up a video for the route but I never actually beat without cheesing, escaping Boston), require specific strategies and a lot of patience.

Ironically one of the easiest segments for me was the hospital, because I was able to figure out a very specific route that worked almost every time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Which? I can't think of any section that is as straight-up difficult as that due to the lack of options; if you don't go into it with enough resources, it's possible to have literally no chance of winning.

At least in the other "hardest section" - Ellie in the cabin with David - you will constantly get resources. If you juke around and let Bill do a lot of killing, you can get the last hit in on some of the Runners and get ammo from them but Bloaters being the absolute fuckers they are it's unlikely to be enough ammo to even kill it.

Yeah exactly. There are probably harder parts but I can't think of any other parts that are so stingy with resources as well as lock you in the room. I beat it on survivalist and didn't have any trouble with the bloater, but I came into the fight in better shape than I did on grounded since the hallway/classroom part before it is also an absolute fucker.

I watched the bloater fight on grounded on YouTube and it seems like the runners are supposed to drop ammo, but they don't drop poo poo for me. I've got three shells and. A few handgun bullets, no bombs or Mollys and a sliver of health. I honestly don't know if it's possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Grounded is probably my favorite "hard mode" in any game ever, but it's still flawed - because yeah, a few sections assume you'll prep ahead of time and if you don't, well, gently caress you.

I know a guy who played on Survival Mode for his first run without any prior knowledge of the game. I think that's close to impossible with a few of the bits of Grounded.

Funnily enough, Left Behind on Grounded is still super easy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Survivalist is my favorite hard mode ever. I think I prefer it over grounded because it's a little better at giving you that one bullet when you need it. Grounded is fun and didn't give me much trouble until the school but I think I straight up hit a dead end here. If I try it again I guess the lesson to learn is to make multiple saves in case the game hoses me or I hose myself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Finished Uncharted 4. Can't believe it's over, I'm really going to miss impossible escapes from buildings that are falling apart...

They really went all out with the scenarios in this one

And a fantastic over the top final boss fight too!

Everything also ended way, way better than I expected, it kinda was a Reverse The Last of Us, in the Epilogue. :D

Also, goddamnit, I began playing this series because I needed something more action-y to balance Persona 5, now I've finished all four games and am still on the same dungeon :bang:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On balance I actually think Lost Legacy is a better game than base 4. Not really in the story department, but the gameplay is fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Finished Uncharted 4. Can't believe it's over, I'm really going to miss impossible escapes from buildings that are falling apart...

They really went all out with the scenarios in this one

And a fantastic over the top final boss fight too!

Everything also ended way, way better than I expected, it kinda was a Reverse The Last of Us, in the Epilogue. :D

Also, goddamnit, I began playing this series because I needed something more action-y to balance Persona 5, now I've finished all four games and am still on the same dungeon :bang:

Still gotta play Lost Legacy though right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can also play the post-reboot Tomb Raider games which are basically Uncharteds with free-roaming exploration segments now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I took exactly 3 photos with Uncharted 4's photo mode but I thought they were pretty good ones

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Going to upgrade soon, anything I should know about getting rid of my old PS4? Deactivate as primary, reset to factory settings, anything else?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

veni veni veni posted:

Still gotta play Lost Legacy though right?

Sure! Just not anytime soon as I can't see it getting a good discount for some months.

haveblue posted:

You can also play the post-reboot Tomb Raider games which are basically Uncharteds with free-roaming exploration segments now.

I was actually going through Rise on my PC before it got crippled but it was really not grabbing me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just played Lost Legacy on a free Redbox rental and I'm pretty sure it was the best of the series. The accelerated pacing for a slightly shorter game was just perfect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I was actually going through Rise on my PC before it got crippled but it was really not grabbing me.

Rise is a pile of poo poo anyways.The first one is pretty good but not nearly as good as Uncharted imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the first rebooted Tomb Raider was better than UC1 and UC3 at the very least imo. story was just as interesting/insane as the PS3 Uncharted games and the combat/exploration felt way more satisfying.

Rise is not a bad game exactly, it just does a bunch of little things wrong that add up to a mediocre time. Plus the story is a snoozer.

Samuringa posted:

Sure! Just not anytime soon as I can't see it getting a good discount for some months.

Lost Legacy has been on sale for $20 several times, most recently in the holiday sale. Honestly I think it's worth the asking price though, because it's fun as ffffffffuck. There's even an entire chapter that's basically The Uncharting of Zelda

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Going to upgrade soon, anything I should know about getting rid of my old PS4? Deactivate as primary, reset to factory settings, anything else?

You may want to put your games on an external hard drive to transfer them if you don't want to redownload/reinstall them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uncharted 1 maybe but that game is old as hell. UC3 is the poo poo and way better than TR reboot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

precision posted:

the first rebooted Tomb Raider was better than UC1 and UC3 at the very least imo.

Lemme, lemme stop you right there. UC3 is the best game in the series.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

TLOU Grounded was unlocked after beating the game, right? It's almost like it's your own fault not preparing for big fights you know are coming. The beginning and end of Winter are way harder because you can't prepare for them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seedge posted:

TLOU Grounded was unlocked after beating the game, right? It's almost like it's your own fault not preparing for big fights you know are coming. The beginning and end of Winter are way harder because you can't prepare for them.

Oh absolutely, it's just those couple of spots where you can put the game into a literally unwinnable state that are bad design.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Seedge posted:

No, Grounded was patched in.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like a dumbass for using the one the game gave me 5 minutes after picking it up, and then the one I crafted. It's not like I didn't know that fight was coming.

I'm gonna try burning my ammo on the bloater before killing the runners to see if they will actually drop ammo for me. Of course my health is so low I can't take a hit either. I honestly don't know if it's possible to finish that fight with the resources I have.

Sounds like poo poo game design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Sounds like poo poo game design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet who are you to judge? :smuggo:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Rise of the tomb raider is a really good game, outside of this thread

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked both the new Tomb Raiders, they are top tier chick with bow games until Horizon came along.

The UC series + Lost Legacy are fine too but it's hard to deny they would be better if you could use a bow in them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No, Grounded was patched in.

Ah yeah it's Survivor that you have to beat the game to unlock

I think it's hard to fairly compare UC3 to TR2013 because they have vastly different aims; UC3 is a pretty much nonstop rollercoaster from setpiece to setpiece whereas TR is way more about being a semi-open world game where you stop and explore/do side stuff for hours if you want. So depending on what you like either can be the better game.

TR has way better combat tho that's just facts

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I wish PSN gave you some kind of notice when games on your wishlist go on sale (though maybe it does, and I just don't have it toggled). I almost missed the flash sale.

Regardless, I picked up Parappa the Rappa Remastered and Dark Cloud 2. :toot: I never played the original release of Parappa the Rappa, but I used to have Dark Cloud 2 on PS2, and I'm hoping to actually finish it this time. Does anyone know if there's a guide online for it? I used to have the physical guide, but I think I got rid of it a long time ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just step on the gas! :yayclod:.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm sure this has to be something wrong with my PS4 or Uncharted download or something like that because I've never seen anyone commenting on it every time we talk about UC3: The enemies did not flinch when I shot them. At first, I thought it was because those MIBs had something special, I don't know, bulletproof vests? But no, every single foe in that game just wasn't affected by my guns, they'd just move from cover to cover or stand there shooting at me like they were robots. It was seriously annoying.

(2 was my favorite)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

when i say boom boom boom you say bam bam bam no pause in between come on lets jam!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seedge posted:

1. No. 2. I said it was my own fault. Try to read better.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Got a Yakuza 0 question. I’ve progressed the story to the point where as Kiryu we now know Makoto’s identity and her relationship to Tachibana. Tachibana is being tortured across town and Nishikiyama is with him . Will I have an opportunity to run around as Kiryu and visit the different masters and make some money? I’ve been playing as Majima for so long and making so much money with the Club Sunshine minigame that I have filled in a good chunk of all of his skill trees and unlocked his Mad Dog style, plus learned all of the breaker skills. Kiryu is way behind Majima and I don’t want to progress too much further in the main scenario before I rectify as much as I can.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad that Mankind Divided had that 12 minute recap because I didn't remember half of that. Laying it out like that makes the story seem insanely convoluted just because of all the travel Jensen does.

I haven't played that game in ages, I probably should again after MD. Too bad it won't get a followup any time soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Laying it out like that makes the story seem insanely convoluted just because of all the travel Jensen does..

Yeah I was laughing my head off at that opening video. It just goes on and on

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes I wonder if TLoU aged badly and then I think “No, it’s still a great game, and everyone made fun of the lovely dumpster-dragging, Ellie can’t swim sections back when it came out too!”

So in essence the bad parts of the game have always been bad, and the giraffe parts of the game have always been good.

The Last of Us also does a better job of the “urbania reclaimed by nature” and is a much better game about nature than any other game, IMO. Instead of science or necromancy, it’s literally just Mother Nature herself making the zombies, that’s a fresh enough take for me to not feel like it’s derivative at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

Sometimes I wonder if TLoU aged badly and then I think “No, it’s still a great game, and everyone made fun of the lovely dumpster-dragging, Ellie can’t swim sections back when it came out too!”

So in essence the bad parts of the game have always been bad, and the giraffe parts of the game have always been good.

The Last of Us also does a better job of the “urbania reclaimed by nature” and is a much better game about nature than any other game, IMO. Instead of science or necromancy, it’s literally just Mother Nature herself making the zombies, that’s a fresh enough take for me to not feel like it’s derivative at least.

My only real complaint with TLOU was Ellie not being able to swim, the game's fantastic otherwise. They're traveling together for an entire year, they couldn't spend the odd afternoon by a river or lake to teach the basics?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well also the amount of time it actually costs you to do the dumpster/ladder puzzles is incredibly tiny and the two Ellie Can't Swim sections are almost as short and also are kinda fun anyway

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I kept waiting for a “Ellie’s mom drowned in the car because clickers knocked her off the road” or literally anything to contextualize her inability to swim but I don’t think you ever get that, and that would have put the issue to bed completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

I kept waiting for a “Ellie’s mom drowned in the car because clickers knocked her off the road” or literally anything to contextualize her inability to swim but I don’t think you ever get that, and that would have put the issue to bed completely.

How's "She has lived her entire life in a sealed-off city that's trying to survive in a world ravaged by a fungal infection" not enough?