Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
burn the whole place down imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Maybe you dictate your work schedule to everybody else and blame them if they don't like it. "Due to lack of manpower because the IT employee position has been cut, I will be addressing tickets on Monday Wednesday and Friday from 9 AM to 2 PM. Please wait for one of these time frames if you submit an issue."

At least then you get the point across that you cant do everything at once and are too busy to constantly keep up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Then he gets called in to his boss and asked to explain why he's not being service minded.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My dude,

I know you are a single parent, but you need to move. Your location is toxic and has no job prospects. I had to to this 3 years ago and it changed my life for the better.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

ratbert90 posted:

My dude,

I know you are a single parent, but you need to move. Your location is toxic and has no job prospects. I had to to this 3 years ago and it changed my life for the better.

This.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How many kids have you guys moved away from, personally? How about we think about that before telling this guy to ditch the strongest connection to another human being you can have.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe you dictate your work schedule to everybody else and blame them if they don't like it. "Due to lack of manpower because the IT employee position has been cut, I will be addressing tickets on Monday Wednesday and Friday from 9 AM to 2 PM. Please wait for one of these time frames if you submit an issue."

At least then you get the point across that you cant do everything at once and are too busy to constantly keep up.

I actually tried this. Part of the computer replacement grant is that 70% of my time is to be spent on the grant. I thought that was wonderful since now I have an officially sanctioned time period to work on it and the director signed off on it so he can't bitch. So I set my office hours as 3-5 every day, the rest of the time was working on the grant.

That lasted all of three days I think before I got reported for being unhelpful because a teacher spent an entire day completely unable to teach a single thing because the batteries in her mouse ran out. After that I started running triage where I'd work on the grant but if something REALLY important came up I'd take a break to take care of it. The only problem is, according to my superior, anything that affects the faculty is priority number one, so every time one of them so much as sneezes I'm expected to drop everything to bring them a tissue, and they'll send in a ticket over the dumbest poo poo and if I don't jump high enough they apparently have a "complain about larches" template all ready to go in their email.

I wish I was in a position to tell them to gently caress themselves but this is a right to work state and I can be let go at any time for any reason and I kinda need to be employed.

ratbert90 posted:

I had 2 stepchildren at the time, and now I also have a foster daughter. I had to move my wife, my children, and my dog 1,800 miles away from my immediate family to make a better life for ourselves. It was an incredibly hard decision for me to make, but in the end, it worked out.

It was either that or go insane, and for my children's sake, I would rather not go insane.

I'd move in a heartbeat if I could take my kids with me. But mom is primary caregiver with the primary address for them. If I move, I leave them behind. I lose my children. I become "summer dad" and that's unacceptable to me. My kids are honestly the only thing I have going for me anymore, so I'm keeping them no matter what it costs me.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 21, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How many kids have you guys moved away from, personally? How about we think about that before telling this guy to ditch the strongest connection to another human being you can have.

I had 2 stepchildren at the time, and now I also have a foster daughter. I had to move my wife, my children, and my dog 1,800 miles away from my immediate family to make a better life for ourselves. It was an incredibly hard decision for me to make, but in the end, it worked out.

It was either that or go insane, and for my children's sake, I would rather not go insane.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If ever a place deserves a Milton-ing... JFC larches. I feel for you.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Honestly drawing unemployment doesn't sound like that bad of an alternative. If you're in a backwater low cost of living area. Look at doing some kind of wfh call center/ support work

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Not that this holds a candle to what larches is going through, but I'm considering replacing my HP Officejet 6000 due to ink lasting ~3 pages/cartridge.

PremiumSupport posted:

Buy a Laserjet P2035n?

Seriously though they've never given me any trouble at all, same thing with the cheap-rear end monochrome Brother units we have scattered around.

We tried HP Inkjets for a while but had nothing but issues with them, and our MFPs that we lease jam on a regular basis.

Inspector_666 posted:

I've told my parents that I will only help them with printer problems so long as they don't buy cheap poo poo inkjet MFPs. It's kept them in line, they have a Brother multifunction that Just Works™.

movax posted:

It's "hilariously complex electromechanical device" meets "make as cheap as possible". Fast, good, cheap...pick 0.5 of those 3 for printers.

That said, for home, the Brother lasers are kick-rear end. I have one of those and a HP LaserJet 4100 that's stopped working with Windows 10 now.

People with experience with Brothers, how does this guy look for home use?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Overkill for home use, but if you need color it's fine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

If larches moves his kids aren't moving with him, that's the core of the problem. He's stuck in poo poo Creek unless he wants to give up regular contact with his kids.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Why does his ex want to stay in shitsville, though?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ilkhan posted:

Why does his ex want to stay in shitsville, though?

Because she has no greater aspirations. She has everything she wants right here. Also she and her new husband just bought a restaurant so they aren't planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Not tied to an area-specific industry, enjoying low cost of living, other family support / ties to the area?

Larches have you considered starting an MSP / contracting IT projects to local companies so you can stick around, make good money, and not deal with poo poo-rear end bosses that don't give a gently caress about IT?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not tied to an area-specific industry, enjoying low cost of living, other family support / ties to the area?

Larches have you considered starting an MSP / contracting IT projects to local companies so you can stick around, make good money, and not deal with poo poo-rear end bosses that don't give a gently caress about IT?
Not the worst idea.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

I actually tried this. Part of the computer replacement grant is that 70% of my time is to be spent on the grant. I thought that was wonderful since now I have an officially sanctioned time period to work on it and the director signed off on it so he can't bitch. So I set my office hours as 3-5 every day, the rest of the time was working on the grant.

Report yourself to the people who gave you the grant as being in violation of the contract because gently caress them they don't deserve the computers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Virigoth posted:

Report yourself to the people who gave you the grant as being in violation of the contract because gently caress them they don't deserve the computers.

This is the correct answer here, your director is bully and a shithead of the highest order, do exactly what you're contractually obligated to do, and start documenting your hostile workplace lawsuit, because that's possibly the most toxic environment I've heard of.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

You poor bastard. I feel for you, that's a gigantic barrel of poo poo that your boss and coworkers seem determined to cram you into. I'm not sure if I recall correctly but saying "gently caress this, :yotj:" isn't an option for you either?

E: Reading rest of thread, yeah, poo poo - I understand not wanting to move away for the sake of your kids but on the other hand it doesn't do them much good if you lose your poo poo or, god forbid, off yourself. Throw your boss under the bus as needed. Make sure you send him an email itemizing the poo poo you have on your plate and the number of hours each takes, just for CYA purposes and as potential fodder for a hostile workplace suit. Stuff like that is going to save your rear end here, even if your boss ignores it. You'll be able to point to it as proof you were being mistreated and hosed with.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 22, 2018

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

dragonshardz posted:

E: Reading rest of thread, yeah, poo poo - I understand not wanting to move away for the sake of your kids but on the other hand it doesn't do them much good if you lose your poo poo or, god forbid, off yourself.

Pretty much this. And yes I took it into consideration hence what Ratbert said. Being under a parent that is worn down and struggling is no good for your kids. And I've been under 3.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Honestly, just talking about it here has helped tremendously. I've been up since about 3:00 this morning and literally every second of this entire day I have been thinking about work and dreading going in tomorrow. 7 anonymous reports came in from students this afternoon and every one of them complained about the web filter and how it has prevented them from doing work and one student who was unable to contact her parents after her phone broke. This is nothing new, as the students in the dorms will get together and basically class action a particular issue by slamming the reporting tool with the same messages. I understand their frustration and I really hate that they're having to deal with it, but I'm doing absolutely everything in my power to get things functioning correctly. The director gets these reports so I'm 100% going to get a text from him around midnight saying I need to come see him first thing in the morning about this, and I'm going to reiterate what I've told him a hundred times that I'm overworked and have far too many projects being dumped on me.

The danger with this excuse is that it makes me appear incompetent. The line of thinking isn't "maybe he IS overworked" but more "I hired the wrong person and I need to find someone who can handle this much work." And I'm sure there's someone out there who can handle this much work. But right now I have to walk a precarious line between "I'm being worked too hard" and "I'm working too hard"

Anyways, the thing about doing what's best for my kids is complicated. I hate being stressed dad and it has resulted in my being distant or losing my poo poo way more than I'm comfortable with. But the other side of the coin is that I move off and they see me for a few months out of the year and the majority of the time they're with their narcissist mother and alcoholic step-father and I refuse to abandon them like that. I'm actually slowly building my case to seek full custody, but it just takes time. As soon as I can make that a reality, I'm out of here and they're coming with me. Honestly, I'm more likely to off myself without them than over a stressful job.

BUT, I will leave you with some CE levels of incompetency by my director. When I asked if we could consider hiring an employee for me and he said no, he revealed his master plan to me. See, the secretary for the principal just retired and they are hiring another secretary. Director wants to hire a secretary that can also assist with IT. Apparently, you can just will magical skillsets into existence if you want them hard enough and also this employee will be chomping at the bit to fill two full-time roles for $20k a year. The hilarious part is they have gone through four rounds of interviews and haven't found one person that can even do basic secretarial work, much less some sort of savant who has tech certs as well :rolleyes:

Our Advancement director just announced she is leaving as well, so his master plan for her is to move our Public Relations Coordinator into the Advancement Director position and have her also do PR. She isn't be asked to do this; he's just going to make her do it. If she doesn't agree, she loses her job and he looks for someone who is willing to do it.

He is by far the worst person I have ever had the displeasure of meeting, and people are jumping ship like crazy because of him. But since he's the equivalent of the superintendent and we only answer to the state board of education, filing complaints against him is nearly impossible.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ilkhan posted:

Not the worst idea.

Until he ends up with both the TV station AND the school as his cornerstone clients. :colbert:

At least at that point he could demand gently caress you money and fire them for being completely insane shitbat.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Director wants to hire a secretary that can also assist with IT. Apparently, you can just will magical skillsets into existence if you want them hard enough and also this employee will be chomping at the bit to fill two full-time roles for $20k a year. The hilarious part is they have gone through four rounds of interviews and haven't found one person that can even do basic secretarial work, much less some sort of savant who has tech certs as well :rolleyes:

Please please please tell us the Director verbally told you this, and you visibly did your best to not burst out and laugh in their face but clearly failed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Instead of waiting for the director to reach out to you, what would happen if you contacted him first?

I don't mean to humanize the guy but why is he such a dick? What stresses are coming down on him? Is there a way you can help him?

The situation seems phenoix projecty, like there's a ton of stress and competing depts and no one is moving forward together. Instead it's just in fighting

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KoRMaK posted:

Instead of waiting for the director to reach out to you, what would happen if you contacted him first?

I don't mean to humanize the guy but why is he such a dick? What stresses are coming down on him? Is there a way you can help him?

The situation seems phenoix projecty, like there's a ton of stress and competing depts and no one is moving forward together. Instead it's just in fighting

It would seem one of two situations: school is losing massive amounts of money and is circling the drain, OR the director is pocketing so much cash in the belief that he'll never have enough to live 'comfortably' and is now so deep in his illusion he can't see himself for a crook.

There's no other reason to constantly consolidate job positions where there were two full time employees before.

Larches at this rate your job will be consolidated with the computer lab attendant.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It would seem one of two situations: school is losing massive amounts of money and is circling the drain, OR the director is pocketing so much cash in the belief that he'll never have enough to live 'comfortably' and is now so deep in his illusion he can't see himself for a crook.

There's no other reason to constantly consolidate job positions where there were two full time employees before.

Larches at this rate your job will be consolidated with the computer lab attendant.

Or the director managed to politics his way into a position he has no earthly loving clue how to do, and is doing his level best to blame it on everyone not him, while making as many decisions as possible while huffing Dunning-Kreuger brand paint stripper.

Honestly, without knowing what the specifics are accounting-wise, an anonymous report to the state educational comptroller alleging gross budget mismanagement and embezzlement might be the only way to get a spotlight shown on this dude from on high. Reducing headcount, consolidating positions, and taking lavish trips to 'leadership conferences' on the school's budget sounds like fraud to me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Re: The web filter, what are your filtering requirements from higher up, and do they check them?

If you can get away with it, just open the filter up. Change it to default allow, blacklist known trouble sites, disable SSL inspection and get the students off your back.

Really, forcing people to open themselves up to MITM attacks is a terrible idea from the start and I can understand why they're upset about it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 22, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As a student I would certainly be upset as well.

You should think about if their lack of trust is in you personally, or in the institution, you could be projecting this on yourself unnecessarily.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

larchesdanrew posted:

Director wants to hire a secretary that can also assist with IT. Apparently, you can just will magical skillsets into existence if you want them hard enough and also this employee will be chomping at the bit to fill two full-time roles for $20k a year.

If I'd ever managed to properly pivot into IT at my current workplace like I had planned, I would currently be that person :cripes:

Of course I'd still be living several thousand miles away from your school, in a different country, and completely unwilling to suffer bullshit and overwork, so, yeah, director can just keep on chasing that unicorn :goleft:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Talk to people about this (keep posting) because otherwise you're going to think your work environment is reasonable and you're the problem, and it's tough to get out from under that. Every time you think something is hosed up, post and lots of people that don't know you and have nothing to gain from agreeing with you will tell you that you're right.

Edit: Also I have no idea how web filtering is done for schools over in the US, but is there not like a statewide thing you can just use that is paid for centrally, or is that too much like socialism?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 22, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Anything that would make life easier for people in general is too much like socialism, for these people. "I had to suffer, so so should everyone else!"

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm in the US. In our state, for K-12, there's basically a 'minimum filtering' to be implemented in order for State Ed to keep funding you. Ours is contracted with a provider that does lots of services for many many school districts in our part of the state. The filter can be pretty overzealous but *shrug* there's ways to work around some of the stuff for classroom use. Plus : when you get blocked, there's a button to submit the site for review for educational purposes. It works ok.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I supported some small schools at a previous job and there were some really specific things on the blacklist like 2guys1horse.com. I wish I'd seen the ticket that resulted in that rule.

It's also shocking how class divided the UK is. I supported two private fee paying schools and one secure facility for problem kids and you could easily tell which was which by the kids' names.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

I supported some small schools at a previous job and there were some really specific things on the blacklist like 2guys1horse.com. I wish I'd seen the ticket that resulted in that rule.

only interesting one lately was saharah.com

we got an email saying kids were bullying eachother on this website. none of us had heard of it before.

so we investigated that it's basically a place that you go to sign up to BE ANONYMOUSLY BULLIED. WHY, CHILDREN, WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO SIGN UP FOR THAT.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess we'll never stamp out cyberbullying if being bullied is seen as cool

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Data Graham posted:

being bullied is seen as cool

and that's why I post on something awful

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*sighs deeply*

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Honestly, without knowing what the specifics are accounting-wise, an anonymous report to the state educational comptroller alleging gross budget mismanagement and embezzlement might be the only way to get a spotlight shown on this dude from on high. Reducing headcount, consolidating positions, and taking lavish trips to 'leadership conferences' on the school's budget sounds like fraud to me.

Seconding this.