Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Not disagreeing with any of that. Happy to hear Taylor's on the finale though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

(I suspect he's still getting used to American filming schedules though.)

How do you mean?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

theflyingexecutive posted:

Taylor directed 7 and 8. Very few shows have the same director for every episode, especially ones with condensed shooting schedules like Happy, as the directors use their off time for prep (finalizing the script, tech scouts, etc)

How many eps is this? I'm enjoying the show, but it's beginning to feel like they're just dragging things out just to fill the eps.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

How do you mean?

He's a British director, who's worked on a bunch of UK productions including Utopia and Doctor Who. But over the last few years he's been alternating between US and UK jobs, as part of the British invasion that's going on behind the scenes right now. (There's a lot of UK finance going towards american television right now, requiring certain talent quotas to be met in front of and behind the cameras. It's why half the cast on Preacher and the Netflix Marvel shows are Brits.)

British production schedules generally take longer to film episodes, so he's having to shift paradigms to account for that.

I hasten to add that he's a very good director, with a good eye. Just perhaps one that still needs that extra day or two compared to American schedules.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

He's a British director...
That probably explains the closing credits song: "Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me" written by Bill Oddie, one third of the classic British comedy trio The Goodies. Really didn't expect to hear that song (from 1974) in this show, but it does fit the story.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 13, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Davros1 posted:

How many eps is this? I'm enjoying the show, but it's beginning to feel like they're just dragging things out just to fill the eps.

He's a British director, who's worked on a bunch of UK productions including Utopia and Doctor Who. But over the last few years he's been alternating between US and UK jobs, as part of the British invasion that's going on behind the scenes right now. (There's a lot of UK finance going towards american television right now, requiring certain talent quotas to be met in front of and behind the cameras. It's why half the cast on Preacher and the Netflix Marvel shows are Brits.)

British production schedules generally take longer to film episodes, so he's having to shift paradigms to account for that.

I hasten to add that he's a very good director, with a good eye. Just perhaps one that still needs that extra day or two compared to American schedules.

Perhaps another factor would be that episodes 4/5 were block shot. I’m a huge Utopia fan and one of the few people on set who knew who he was lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh yeah, I worked on Happy, amatdvmnda (ama that doesn’t violate my nda).

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Did you get a peek at Meloni's schlong? Was it nice?

Edit: for real though, what was your job(s)?

Edit: and I just want to clarify, I think Wayne's a really good director. I loved his work on Utopia. It's just that Taylor set a particular tone on the first three episodes that I think would be hard for any director to complement without aping it.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

spookygonk posted:

That probably explains the closing credits song: "Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me" written by Bill Oddie, one third of the classic British comedy trio The Goodies. Really didn't expect to hear that song (from 1974) in this show, but it does fit the story.

The bird geezer? I figured he'd be in his 80s now, standing on a marsh somewhere, looking for a Bar Tailed Godwit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anatomi posted:

Did you get a peek at Meloni's schlong? Was it nice?

Edit: for real though, what was your job(s)?

Edit: and I just want to clarify, I think Wayne's a really good director. I loved his work on Utopia. It's just that Taylor set a particular tone on the first three episodes that I think would be hard for any director to complement without aping it.

I was the on-set cast PA, so Chris and I were in pretty close quarters. The show was filmed August-November, so the poor dude was frequently roasting in two sweaters, a wool coat, and a scarf. He did the vast vast majority of his stunts and though it’s hard to tell under the coat he was ripped. He’s an Executive Producer too, so he was very frequently working with Brian and the writer/producer on set to fine tune his lines. No schlongs were visible on set except the many dildo props we had filling our truck.

Patton was not on set, all of the shots with Happy were read by our awesome script supervisor and the vfx team would take 360 degree photos and run a take with reference objects, which we called the “dolls and balls” take.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh lol I totally forgot I’m in this episode, 6:55 are my beautiful legs crossing in the foreground

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

There's a lot of UK finance going towards american television right now, requiring certain talent quotas to be met in front of and behind the cameras. It's why half the cast on Preacher and the Netflix Marvel shows are Brits.

I follow a ton of entertainment news and I haven't heard anything even remotely like this even hinted at. Unless you've got something to back it up I'm going to call bullshit.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm from Zork the capitol of Cupcake Kingdom.

This show is amazing for laughs and brutal violence and there is so much going on all the time. There's a great scene of Nick in Hailey's room, and we see all the various elements that went into the formation of Happy. Such a nice moment. And then...the room gets re-arranged a bit.

Oh lol I totally forgot I’m in this episode, 6:55 are my beautiful legs crossing in the foreground
A star is born. How is Smoothie on set? Like, does he stay in character and creep everyone out? That actor is in everything.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

A star is born. How is Smoothie on set? Like, does he stay in character and creep everyone out? That actor is in everything.

Patrick is totally cool and 0% creepy off-camera.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

I'm from Zork the capitol of Cupcake Kingdom.

This show is amazing for laughs and brutal violence and there is so much going on all the time. There's a great scene of Nick in Hailey's room, and we see all the various elements that went into the formation of Happy. Such a nice moment. And then...the room gets re-arranged a bit.

I laughed out loud at that scene. Happy! retreats to Hailey's room and we see clues, small little touches of where Happy! began; a unicorn horn here, a horse there, there are some wings...then BOOM: here's a blue horse with pink hooves. From "Oh there's where she was inspired..." to "Oh she just personified a toy she already owns...*cough*...

There was a downgrade of energy, I think it's because of the dramatic tone they had to use so heavily, but there are still plenty of little touches: look at the superhero pose Stabler strikes when they burst in through the window and after he exchanges a look with his ex, Stabler literally does a little hop into a two-fisted Popeye stance at the end of the scene before the fight. It just feels so natural, like the actor playing Sax is just loving around in these scenes with very serious people and they keep it in.

I did not like the whole subway scene. Stabler wants to die but chooses not to, even fights to keep from dying? If it's anger motivating him like in the torture scene I can see that: his weakness is his anger but it's also the major driving force for him. His whole downfall is his inability to control his anger but without that anger he would just stop, it's his weakness and his strength. In the subway he's just kind of..."Oh I guess I won't kill myself". The people on the platform should have banded together to save him in spite of himself, he should have been angrily cursing them as he tries to get back onto the tracks. It was a bit off script and character wise for him to just go "Oh, I guess I want to live now" because it's confusing that even his daughter couldn't make him get up but he just...kinda...does...anyway...

I will say this SPOILERso we know Happy Sunshine guy is going to be the kid of the Santa who killed himself, probably the brother of the evil Santa guy, this is given away in the WONDERFUL noir scene with Missus Claus, but I'm wondering how Blue and Smoothie fit in. Is Smoothie the third brother? all I know is that revenge is getting sweeter and I hope this is just a one season thing because A: you can't have a character like Nick STAY a character like Nick, he's not going to have his death wish if he saves his daughter and gets a new lease on life and him having a death wish is half the fun and, narratively, it just makes sense to have his final act of redemption be him dying to save his little girl. He becomes, and stays, her imaginary image of him as the greatest cop ever, he's far too gone to get back to a normal life, and he dies a hero's death having reversed the "live long enough to become the villain" saying tying up everything neatly. Luckily Nick Sax isn't so much a character as he's a character type, with an actor willing to bring that energy they could easily do a "Happy! 2!" type thing with another burnt out half dead drunken rear end in a top hat half dead drunkenly saving the day in spite of himself

Also I want to give absolute props for the very first scene being him killing himself in a dream sequence. From that point out he almost dies two more times in that episode and the show is telling you, right up front, that it literally doesn't matter to the plot if he's alive or dead. Otherwise there'd be a thousand "The heart attack really killed him and this is all a dream before he dies." theories when the show is telling you, from the very first scene, that maybe yeah who cares?

Guys I LOVE this show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I did not like the whole subway scene. Stabler wants to die but chooses not to, even fights to keep from dying?
He didn't want to die, he was just trying to make a point. He assumed he'd be able to climb back onto the platform.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Holy poo poo! They did the baby in the microwave story from Heat.

:stare:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

He didn't want to die, he was just trying to make a point. He assumed he'd be able to climb back onto the platform.

Yeah but his whole character is the "suicidal burnt out 90's action cop" turned up to 11. He literally kills himself in the very first scene, he even says that he's afraid he can't die so it's massively out of character to NOT want to die without being motivated by anger

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Yeah don't bother with the "all a dream" suppositions, Sax is terrible at doing many things and dying is one of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Imaginary friend Deer Hunter is definitely messed up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well, poo poo is certainly getting even weirder and weirder in a good way. Even more so if you watched the promo for the final 2 episodes.

muscles like this! posted:

Imaginary friend Deer Hunter is definitely messed up.

Blue's kid is super messed up. That double chain saw kill probably didn't even faze him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
IF support group needs it's own show.

edit: Holy poo poo, the chainsaw!!!

This show is up there with the best of them.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 18, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

IF support group needs it's own show.

edit: Holy poo poo, the chainsaw!!!

This show is up there with the best of them.

"Peep, something you'd like to share?"

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That C4 line was a masterstroke. Holy frig did I laugh

Also, pretty good chainsaw action this episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

"Peep, something you'd like to share?"

"Penis, penis, penis!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've finally had a chance to sit down and watch the show, and holy poo poo it just tickles all the right spots.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

This show is amazing. I can't help but imagine that this is what happened to Stabler when he left SVU.

I don't think I've ever rooted for such a hosed up, mess of a human being so hard before while at the same time not wanting him to change an inch.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic as always, any guesses as to why santa's imaginary sock friend in group?

I can't STAND the "on the next episode" spoilers at the end of the episodes, they always send me diving for the remote

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

Fantastic as always, any guesses as to why santa's imaginary sock friend in group?

I know but I’m not telling

Also, the first time you see the kidnapped kids in the van with Santa making them sing, Joe would run through the whole song with the kids which was really fun to watch.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

:ssh:All dongs on tv are fake

Oh thank God. The ifrit from American Gods had me questioning reality.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I know but I’m not telling

Also, the first time you see the kidnapped kids in the van with Santa making them sing, Joe would run through the whole song with the kids which was really fun to watch.

I actually wanted to ask, how filming is handled with kids when the scene is supposed to be hosed up/creepy etc. Like I have to imagine the kid playing Haley, who has done an amazing job, and Garbage Santa must have been interesting when the scene ended.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

I actually wanted to ask, how filming is handled with kids when the scene is supposed to be hosed up/creepy etc. Like I have to imagine the kid playing Haley, who has done an amazing job, and Garbage Santa must have been interesting when the scene ended.

It would only be really bad if the actors playing Santa or Smoothie were total Leto-esque method acting weirdos and not two really great and kind guys as soon as cut is called. Their parents were within 30 feet at all times and every minute of screen time takes at least two hours to film, so they were far more concerned with what kind of cookies crafty had than the emotional weight of the contents of the script. In between takes where they were tied up with the lights, they would make truck-reversing beeps as they reset for the next take and play games of telephone at their cast chairs. It’s also significantly less creepy without any of the music or ambient sounds, which you don’t have on set.

Plus, you know, they’re good actors.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was totally convinced the 3 headed dog was going to be helpful to Happy. When the poo poo hit the fan I felt like a moron, because of COURSE a 3 headed dog is going to lead you towards Hell.

Great episode again and it was nice for Nick to get a few small wins. It feels like we're coming up on a really explosive finale, that's for sure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it took me way too long to get the three headed dog thing and I felt like a complete idiot about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That scene was just pure unfiltered Grant Morrison. Like something out of The Invisibles or The Filth.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Those first 2 scenes were amazing. But not nearly as amazing as the bug rave. This show is fantastic. I can't wait for the finale next week.

So Mikey is possessed by a demon or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no idea how to process this show. Like, ok... there aren't giant bug people who eat children who run things. Its just a ring of powerful child abductors (and rapists?) who are into weird bug-play rave stuff. Better? Worse?

I feel like watching Happy! must be what its like to be crazy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I have no idea how to process this show. Like, ok... there aren't giant bug people who eat children who run things. Its just a ring of powerful child abductors (and rapists?) who are into weird bug-play rave stuff. Better? Worse?

I feel like watching Happy! must be what its like to be crazy.

I can't get enough of the show. That was a wild ride.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
How is nobody talking about the :frogout: frog pinned to the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

drunkill posted:

How is nobody talking about the :frogout: frog pinned to the wall?

Pinned to the wall, perpetually tortured until they either die (which takes some doing) or their child forgets about them. Existential horror at its best.

Wonder if all those characters on the wall are connected to the other kidnapped kids. If that were revealed, that whole episode gets so mich darker with Cerberus trolling self-help groups for victims talking about their kidnapped kids.

• Locked thread