Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Gejnor posted:

I can't help but think on the day when, if this really does go court, the judge & jury hears about the pricing involved with buying spaceships.

Unless they have been involved in this particular scene it should come as a shock, and not a positive one. I get that i am biased here and all against this... thing.. but honestly i cannot see normal people and functionaries of the court react in any other way than with utter disbelief, not to mention a significant amount of suspicion.

If i was that Judge (or in the jury) and i heard a loving videogame asset costs 3000 $ and worse that the asset does not even exist after years of development i would instantly start favouring Crytek and their claims, but again that may just be me.

I get that Citizens think this is normal, but it really isn't, nobody outside of your little bubble thinks this is even close to normal spending behaviour and the more people find out about this stuff, the more revolted they will become.

It says on the web page this ship is $2,500, what's the conversion rate in real money?

What?

:magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

boviscopophobic posted:

Depends how much of a distinction you draw between the project itself versus the principals behind the project, but Ortwin allegedly not revealing his conflict of interest in the waiver explaining that he foresaw no potential for conflict of interest, is potentially a big deal for Ortwin.

That is pretty big news but like you said it's pretty tangential to CIG. Ortwin being hosed in this situation too is pretty good tho.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

But see, isn't that the whole point? It's the greatest paradox of Star Citizen - a game that isn't, made by a game development company that isn't, run by a game developer who isn't. The chart, if looked at by a casual gamer who has never heard of the game, would make an educated decision: say, in this case, he buys a cheap ship figuring he can pew pew around a while waiting for the game to be worked on.

But what exact aspect of this chart would prepare him for the fact that nothing works??? Surely a casual gamer might expect some basic flight mechanics like X-Wing, Elite, Flight Simulator, or any number of titles from literally decades ago. Then he logs in and sees - this? The game is not a game - there is nothing here - even stripped to it's most basic elements it's still a complete sham and fraud. You're janking around a model viewer and hitting buttons which may or may not draw lasers that may or may not crash the server.

That's the hardest thing to explain about this game to the uninitiated - even the parts that are there aren't there. It's smoke and mirrors where even the smoke and mirrors are fake.

I really enjoy that you can't do cargo missions in either of the base package ships.

Whoops!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Do the ships really have instant acceleration in SC? I'm never sure how seriously to take it when you guys are talking about noclipping but it looks goddamn awful there.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Spatial posted:

Do the ships really have instant acceleration in SC? I'm never sure how seriously to take it when you guys are talking about noclipping but it looks goddamn awful there.

We say the ships move around like noclip mode for a reason. There's no exaggeration whatsoever.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XK posted:

It says on the web page this ship is $2,500, what's the conversion rate in real money?

What?

:magical:

That was the best exchange in prior threads. If anyone has a link is be grateful.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

G0RF posted:

Guard Frequency #197: (9:00) “(Ortwin’s two-sided dealings) not to the level of criminal, but almost to the level of fraud...”

Their brief, semi-speculative take on the Crytek/CIG drama is not likely to win the hearts and minds of the Montoyas out there. Somebody needs to give GF the memo that after CIG’s reply, Crytek became Cry-Rekt.

:smuggo:

Some community elements were not happy...

Seeing as the Guard Frequency guy was the only one prescient enough (or with enough inside sources? :tinfoil:) to call the Ortwin thing ahead of time, I'm curious if they will address Skadden's response in the next episode, which is due tomorrow.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Terebus posted:

So Derek teased a bigger ELE on the same day as the Skadden response. Is ot safe to say that nothing came of that?
Calling it is a two-part process. First, you call it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

boviscopophobic posted:

Seeing as the Guard Frequency guy was the only one prescient enough (or with enough inside sources? :tinfoil:) to call the Ortwin thing ahead of time, I'm curious if they will address Skadden's response in the next episode, which is due tomorrow.

I don't understand how anyone doesn't have the feels that Ortwin is shady as gently caress.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

XK posted:

I don't understand how anyone doesn't have the feels that Ortwin is shady as gently caress.

Lies! He casts no shadow whatsoever

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

thatguy posted:

Calling it is a two-part process. First, you call it.

Ok, I call it! Now what?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ok, I call it! Now what?

Now you hedge.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I knew you would say that. I called it a few posts up.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A call's source must be at least a year old. Anything fresher than that and at best you're just phoning it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/faWyv6I.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody should mock up what an honest Star Citizen kickstarter would look like

Please give us 141 million dollars so we can record videos of Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson and Gary Oldman in blue pajamas, and also produce a bunch of high quality spaceship jpgs.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody should mock up what an honest Star Citizen kickstarter would look like

Please give us 141 million dollars so we can record videos of Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson and Gary Oldman in blue pajamas, and also produce a bunch of high quality spaceship jpgs.

wut

e: nevermind, I missed the word 'honest' when I read that so it made no sense at all but now I see what you mean... like those literal videos people made where the lyrics were exactly what is on screen and yeah that would be p funny

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 22, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

In defense of Clifford, he seems to keep almost all of his comments positive. Even the comments in regards to SC's detractors or issues are framed in a positive way.
'I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm just gonna bash your brains in.'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm with them up to "ship is a privilege not a right" Any space game should provide you with a free, easy to use ship. Even EVE does this.

Beyond that, the adage "Don't fly what you can't afford to replace" is very much and should be a thing, and buying insurance after your ship is destroyed to replace your destroyed ship shouldn't work ever.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I can't wait to play a game where I have to remember to buy insurance, just like in real life for my real car that takes me to actual places.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Welcome to the goon gank zone :buddy:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Why would you make people have insurance for vehicles in a game?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

XK posted:

FIDELITY

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Word cloud for today’s meeting titled: “market segments we want to appeal to for maximal whaling”

Insurance industry workers

Defense contractors

Simulation gamers (flight sim types)

Estate salesman

Libertarians

XK
Jul 9, 2001

It's just so horrifically stupid.

Theoretically, you can buy a several hundred dollar item, real world money, and lose it. But, you can have an insurance contract to replace the baseline product.

In a space ship video game.

You loving dumbos.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

EVE answer: as a mechanism to control and maintain balance of the prices of fundamental manufacturing goods, thereby loosely determining the base value of the in-game currency.

Not a single word in that sentence would make even the slightest bit of sense to the geniuses at CIG.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

As much as I love your charts, I've always had a slight issue with this one for two technicalities.

1) The description of "flyable" for a ship. What that basically equates to is: can you move the model around the map. The flight model is still not technically functional. I know there is some debate, but take a look at the .gif a few pages back with the ship jittering around nose-down on the planet. Take a look at literally any video of SC ships in action. Play the game. The ships - none of them - are attached to a space game flight model. There is no mass, inertia, thrust, or anything that gives each ship heft and a unique feel. So to say the ship is "flyable" is making the game look much farther along than it really is. In a sense, none of the ships are flyable until they put in a flight model.

If the "flight model" in the game now is what they're keeping, then loving :lol: - no amount of "tweaking" will fix it. This game is a model viewer at best.

2) Just an extension of #1 - the chart farthest to the right mentions game mechanics, and space combat is complete. Without a flight model, is it really space combat?

So I think your chart is actually exceptionally generous and doesn't actually reflect the true state of CIG's progress, which is essentially none.

These are fair critiques. With a backer as my primary source, the bias is preserved in the recreation.

On the combat point in particular, combat was actually a lot better at the time! But I also felt like there was at least some form of mechanic playable in the game, even if meager and tied to a flight model in decay. The problem though is that it’s kind of a binary thing as opposed to a qualitative assessment. And the primary emphasis was more the complete absence of all these other Kickstarter mechanics, most which still are MIA.

Even though it probably was a little generous, I sure saw a lot of furious hot takes. The funniest ones were the “We can Bounty Hunt NOW!” Followed by some LARP scenario involving player coordination outside of the game or the like.

“Well when you put it that way, guy, all the mechanics are in the game!”

boviscopophobic posted:

Some community elements were not happy...

I’m glad GF offered their honest take, even if most backers don’t appreciate candor and would rather hear yet more Pollyanna nonsense from the “everything is GREAT!” crowd. It’s not like bungshine is in short supply in the “SC News” space...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 22, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tippis posted:

EVE answer: as a mechanism to control and maintain balance of the prices of fundamental manufacturing goods, thereby loosely determining the base value of the in-game currency.

Not a single word in that sentence would make even the slightest bit of sense to the geniuses at CIG.

I'm convinced EVE is a spergy board game that somebody made an interactive CGI version of.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

I'm convinced EVE is a spergy board game that somebody made an interactive CGI version of.

Close. It's a spergy BBS game that somebody added some CGI to.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Spatial posted:

What does your heart tell you?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Terebus posted:

That is pretty big news but like you said it's pretty tangential to CIG. Ortwin being hosed in this situation too is pretty good tho.

Backers expected the Fire & Fury. They may have to settle for Liar & Jury.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hey, Chris, make a video game where the space ships fly around.

Chris: Hold my beer.

https://i.imgur.com/6l0wlfy.gifv

XK fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 22, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

That's the last stop before Fired And Furry

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

From the Frontier forums:

This is good stuff

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

But Mr. Bean is not real life?

You might say Rowan Atkinson called it well in advance, though :smuggo:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

XK posted:

Somone please shop Skadden as the solid ice and CIG as the dumbass. Tia.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

XK posted:

Ben would have break this easily, without even needing a jump or more than one feet on the ice.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

"WHERE'S YOUR LAW DEGREE DEREK? HUH? I DON'T SEE IT! HUH? WHERE'S IT AT? WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT? HUH? HUH?" I post in the comments before realizing I'm watching a BoredGamerUK video.

I don't get why anyone would ever call themself BoredGamer anything. It just sounds like they are making themselves do something they don't enjoy :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zzr posted:

Ben would have break this easily, without even needing a jump or more than one feet on the ice.

One feet on ice? Yeah, he would break it. Jumping and landing butt-first? Nope, the force would be distributed over too large an area.