Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/cyberbunbun/status/955171338376884225

I didn’t know Sonic The Fighters was this rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It’s a neat little game. Emphasis “little”.

It is very slight for a fighter

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 22, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is sonic forces good?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nope.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thoroughly mediocre but probably not impossible to have fun with.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Forces looks great, runs well and has some really fun moments, but there's a hell of a lot of content that is severely truncated or just not entirely thought through.

Like, I decided to fail the snake QTE to see what happens. Fail the first part and it's an insta-death. Fail the second part, though, and not only does the snake spit you out towards the goal ring anyway, but you get a line of story-relevant dialogue from Amy that you don't hear if you pass the QTE, and because it's so easy to pass, I'm willing to bet that almost every player has never heard that line. :psyduck: And of course there's the incredibly short levels, the fact that there's maybe five enemy types in the whole game, the number rings and silver moon rings being dumped into levels with little thought or ceremony like they just needed to cram in some extra content as quickly as possible... The engine is polished, but the content is undercooked by a good nine months, maybe a year.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If your GF had issues with the classic Sonic games in the past, see if you can't get the Christian Whitehead ports of 1 and 2 running on something for her. Classic Sonic just plays better in widescreen, the little bit of extra vision lets you actually plan more, but it's not enough to make it trivial. The only problem is that even after Cybershell's classic "Sonic 2 but every time I jump I say "gently caress you SEGA"" we still haven't gotten releases on anything but phones :(

Keiya fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 22, 2018

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Sonic's dad now is working on a game for Square Enix

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/955385616971247617

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh. I wonder if he's gonna work with Hashimoto.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's pretty cool. Maybe he'll get the Yoko Taro treatment.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Turtlicious posted:

Is sonic forces good?

It's okay. None of the gameplay or levels are really bad, but the levels are so short that it's rarely satisfying and the levels aren't that great either. The avatar customization is surprisingly fun though, and the music is good at least, so it's not the worst decision to try out the game.

Jarogue posted:

Sonic's dad now is working on a game for Square Enix

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/955385616971247617

That's pretty cool, didn't see it coming, and it might actually be good for SE assuming Yuji Naka can keep a project running smoothly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Naka can admittedly be kind of hit or miss about that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I bet Yuji Naka is working on the FF7 Remake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait for the Sonic Chronicles sequel.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Sonic confirmed for Kingdom Hearts 3 :shepface:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can't wait for yuji naka's new game in 8 years

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/nbshadow_/status/955243270329815042
Something I've noticed in fanart circles is the idea of Shadow having a love of gardening because of his sidequest in the Lego Dimensions thing.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

corn in the bible posted:

yeah i love sonic fanfiction with torture scenes and genocide woooooo

Sorry, this is a bit late, but... what?

There's no genocide in Freedom Planet.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Katsuma posted:

Sorry, this is a bit late, but... what?

There's no genocide in Freedom Planet.

Its writing and voices are so bad it unlocks the Hitler in our hearts. Its characters and aesthetics are so awful it reshapes our souls into Pol Pot.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Look, I thought the torture bit was overdoing it, but you're being a weird rear end in a top hat, again.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Also the game looks really nice? I guess two of the three protags don't really look like their species, but you could make that argument about a huge chunk of the Sonic cast.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Accuracy to real-world animals is kinda low on my list to hate Freedom Planet characters, friend.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like Shadow being an edgelord but also tending a garden and getting very offended when someone makes fun of his garden

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I like Freedom Planet's characters and art. :)

Macaluso posted:

I like Shadow being an edgelord but also tending a garden and getting very offended when someone makes fun of his garden

I also like this.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shadow being Shadow in the S2 finale of Sonic Boom was probably my favorite portrayal of his character.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More clues

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/955871196481953792

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so we're getting sonic cd 2 then

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Big's Big Gold Panning Adventure

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I like Shadow when he's a good guy but quiet and grumpy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

End of season two Boom Shadow is the kind of violent, sociopathic piece of poo poo that regular Shadow can only dream of being.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

End of season two Boom Shadow is the kind of violent, sociopathic piece of poo poo that regular Shadow can only dream of being.

OTOH, he fell for the Sonic "trash talk" video *and* hid both Eggmans in a cave they've all been to before. I don't think Regular Shadow would've taken the bait.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Where does the thread title come from?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nthing the "Freedom Planet is fun but it's not entirely Sonic"

The mechanics are actually pretty neat once you get the hang of them. The last boss got a lot more fun once I realized how to abuse my invulnerability frames. Also the speedruns I've seen of Freedom Planet are really entertaining.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In my opinion Freedom Planet is as much a Sonic game as Shovel Knight is a Megaman game (that is, not at all). The influence is clearly there but that's not the only thing it takes inspiration from, it's more of a sendup of Genesis games in general.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Freedom Planet's gameplay is Sonic-ish, but unique enough to set itself apart... But it also literally stars Sonic fan characters and is built on the Sonic Worlds engine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resident Evil was made using the Goof Troop engine, poo poo happens

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

Does that make Goof Troop the first in the RE timeline

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Weren't they on completely different systems, or is there a SNES Resident Evil I'm not aware of?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Where does the thread title come from?
IIRC someone posted their friend didn't like mania because it wasn't something nonsensical and someone posted that.

It's back in like, October posts or somewhere about that far.

Ventana posted:

Does that make Goof Troop the first in the RE timeline
This at least explains who Max's mother is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The IDW comic starts in April, with four weekly issues to get it started followed by monthly releases. First new Sonic friend is Tangle the Lemur, courtesy of Tyson Hesse:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/956238908848668673

Also the Super Sonic DLC in Forces is now free forever, because it is a load of half-arsed, barely implemented bollocks, and they had some brass loving neck to even suggest that they might charge for it in the first place.