Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The old thread has fallen to the Archive Gods:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501888

So here is a new thread to discuss the ongoing sleazefest of blood-filled candy worms that is The Wayne Coyne Experience (feat. Some Other Guys).

Wayne and the boys are making a beer with Dogfish Brewery:

http://www.middletowntranscript.com/news/20171218/dogfish-head-partners-with-flaming-lips-for-2018-collaboration

And that's about all I can find for band news right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Flaming Lips have become too clever for their own good. Make a generic album, Wayne.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Dogfish makes awesome beer. The flaming lips do not make awesome music any more. Seaquench ale and 120 minute are the best beers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oczy Mlody is frankly an embarrassing record, despite the few bright spots it has.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I get so annoyed with the Lips nowadays. Leave the band Drozd, go be free.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skeezy posted:

I get so annoyed with the Lips nowadays. Leave the band Drozd, go be free.

I'm pretty sure Drozd has literally sold his body and soul to Wayne, probably involving a Crowley-esque ritual performed while tripping at Bonnaroo with Ke$ha.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'll preface this by saying that I think they've paid their dues and should have free rein to do what they want, but I've seen them three times, and the last — 2011 — was a loving bummer. They paused the set halfway through to noodle on the iPad; technical difficulties arose, and Wayne got mad at the crowd for being impatient (we were just talking among ourselves).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I had a blast when I saw them 3 times in 2011 - twice were playing all of Soft Bulletin, the other was Dark Side of the Moon - but when I saw them at Riot Fest a few years back it wasn't the same.

And their music is poo poo now, and Wayne's a huge rear end in a top hat.

Still like listening to the older stuff.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Dogfish makes awesome beer. The flaming lips do not make awesome music any more.

Agreed on both counts.

The lone bright spot in the Lips going to poo poo has been that it led me to finally seriously look into Mercury Rev and realize that I should have done that far earlier than I did.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I should also have prefaced my post above by saying that the first two times I saw them, they opened with "Race For The Prize" and there was confetti flying and everyone was happy and it was the drat best

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ikari Worrier posted:

The lone bright spot in the Lips going to poo poo has been that it led me to finally seriously look into Mercury Rev and realize that I should have done that far earlier than I did.

Yeah the Rev are loving amazing, especially the perfect trio of Boces/Yerself is Steam/See You On the Other Side

their later stuff is great too but i wish Donahue would make another psych gently caress record. Spotify has some great live albums by them.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah, it kind of sucks The Flaming Lips have not been that great for nearly a decade. I saw them once in 2010 and it was real fun, but now I would kind of be embarrassed calling myself a fan to any strangers who like music.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

At this Point I'm just waiting for Steven and Michael to bow out and it turning into the Wayne Coyne Experience.

It kinda already is, but he's clearly going to be the last original member still going on with it.

lurker4334
Nov 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Yeah the Rev are loving amazing, especially the perfect trio of Boces/Yerself is Steam/See You On the Other Side

their later stuff is great too but i wish Donahue would make another psych gently caress record. Spotify has some great live albums by them.
Mercury Rev is my favorite band and I'll never stop championing them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZErVNm-qI
They put out a fantastic album in 2015 too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLwVlxnnls

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Real Name Grover posted:

I should also have prefaced my post above by saying that the first two times I saw them, they opened with "Race For The Prize" and there was confetti flying and everyone was happy and it was the drat best

God yes. The first time I saw them was after Yoshimi came out and they were dressing people up as animals and shooting confetti and yelling Seven Nation Army through a loudspeaker and it was the most amazing performance I’d ever seen.

Saw them again in 2011 and it was a super massive letdown. Delayed by half an hour due to technical difficulties, and then a dull bunch of songs once they finally kicked off. I don’t think I’ve actually enjoyed a FL album since At War with the Mystics.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What didn't you like about Embryonic? Literally every Lips fan I know who was turned off by their post-Clouds material loved Embryonic.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Embryonic and Oczy Mlody are two of their best albums imo. Oczy is weird as hell but once you center on in on what the album's about it's an even more depressing record than The Terror, and I think there's a lot of fun stuff going on musically. I'm in a weird place with FLips where I couldn't really care less about what they're up to nowadays but I liked their last album a lot so I'll check out whatever it is they do next.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

precision posted:

What didn't you like about Embryonic? Literally every Lips fan I know who was turned off by their post-Clouds material loved Embryonic.

It’s mostly down to the fact that I cannot remember it. Aside from a few songs like Watching the Planets, Convinced of the Hex, or I Can Be A Frog, if I look at the song titles I cannot imagine what they sound like. Whereas Yoshimi, Mystics and Soft Bulletin made a definite impact in my brain.

The most lasting memory I have of Embryonic is its terrible furry packaging.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's how I am with Mystics. Aside from a couple tracks, all I remember is that I kind of didn't like it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I’ve relistened to Oczy Mlody a few times in the past few months. Some days I get what they are going for, other times it rings flat.

The instrumentals on the album are awesome, don’t get me wrong. But yikes the lyrics.

It’s just hard for me to take this band seriously anymore. This and the two green haired drummers and all that noise

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

Spotify has some great live albums by them.

Can you recommend some of them? I'm always hesitant to check out random live stuff on Spotify because I have an extreme allergic reaction to low quality live recordings that sound like they were pulled from a cassette hidden inside a jean jacket.

I only got to see Mercury Rev once, opening for Jesus and Mary Chain back in the 90's. I knew nothing about them, walked into their set all :420: and was immediately in love.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 15, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hatelull posted:

Can you recommend some of them?

Off the top of my head, the SXSW one from, I think '98, is golden.

lurker4334
Nov 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Mercury Rev released an album of Peel Sessions and it's all awesome: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-mercury-rev-the-complete-peel-sessions-universal-1819444.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Peel Sessions unilaterally rule and RIP John Peel. If you do some digging and find his "Festive 50" shows, where he does the top 50 requested songs of the year, they are amazing especially with his between-song commentaries. The ones from the late 80s/early 90s are especially intriguing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Flaming Lips 2018: Just listen to Mercury Rev, OK?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I liked The Terror a lot and consider it one of their strongest albums. Other than that I've only liked 1-2 songs on everything else they've done after Yoshimi. Very uneven band for sure.

Finally got around to making a surround mix of Zaireeka. "The Train Runs Over the Camel..." and "March of the Rotten Vegetables" are top shelf. Too bad I don't have an actual surround sound system to get the full effect.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2018

lurker4334
Nov 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bodyholes posted:

I liked The Terror a lot and consider it one of their strongest albums. Other than that I've only liked 1-2 songs on everything else they've done after Yoshimi. Very uneven band for sure.

Finally got around to making a surround mix of Zaireeka. "The Train Runs Over the Camel..." and "March of the Rotten Vegetables" are top shelf. Too bad I don't have an actual surround sound system to get the full effect.
Zaireeka is a stellar album. I love the two you mentioned as well as "How Will We Know" and "Riding to Work in the Year 2025"

Regarding Mercury Rev, I know people mostly champion Deserter's Songs, but is there a general awareness of how fantastic its follow-up was? All is Dream is one of the few albums I consider flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r8ZGTOEoL4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Race for the Prize came on shuffle on Spotify for me tonight and it made me sad because I remembered how loving great this band used to be and how they're nowhere near that now :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lurker4334 posted:

Zaireeka is a stellar album. I love the two you mentioned as well as "How Will We Know" and "Riding to Work in the Year 2025"

Regarding Mercury Rev, I know people mostly champion Deserter's Songs, but is there a general awareness of how fantastic its follow-up was? All is Dream is one of the few albums I consider flawless.

I think the general opinion is that All is Dream was a bit of a letdown actually, but I prefer it to Deserter's Songs personally as well.

Also hell yeah Zaireeka is great, that wobbly melody in "March of the Rotting Vegetables" is so fuckin' good

lurker4334
Nov 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I think the general opinion is that All is Dream was a bit of a letdown actually, but I prefer it to Deserter's Songs personally as well.

Also hell yeah Zaireeka is great, that wobbly melody in "March of the Rotting Vegetables" is so fuckin' good

It's definitely not another Deserter's Songs, it goes into the kind of psychedelic fantasy that would influence their direly underrated next album, The Secret Migration. Which was not a very popular album it seems but has some great tracks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02-r074kZXI

And it seems no one talks about Snowflake Midnight, their artsy techno next record, which is great and makes me sad.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
For what it's worth I liked Snowflake Midnight for it's buzzy, laser-sharp, mantra-based songwriting and disliked The Light in You in spite of its fantastic production.

Oczy Mlody wasn't very good but it's not terrible. The second half of it picks up dramatically and "One Night" is destined for a prime spot on an eventual best-of anthology. The feeling I got after it dropped was that the band pretty much has one more chance at righting the ship, and we haven't really seen any Wayne Antics since it flopped.

The real piece of poo poo they released last year was the RSD cash-in psuedo-live album, a tedious waste of time that was shockingly dull

If I were Wayne, I would seriously consider taking on a non-Lips project, specifically non-musical, to recharge the creative batteries before tackling another album. That King's Mouth art installation seemed pretty cool; maybe he should go all-in on an art exhibition. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if he directed some music videos for other bands or even tried his hand at an indie movie that wasn't a band project. And I would seriously consider retooling the live show by modeling it after Ween and other jam-type acts by being able to pull any song out at any time, throwing together unique setlists tailored to the location of each show. Clearly pandering to the festival crowd has reached the point of totally diminished returns.

Anyway, Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd, Telepathic Surgery and In a Priest have been remastered and will be rereleased in June.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 2, 2018

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Snowflake Midnight owns is the first record I heard from Mercury Rev and favor it the most probably because of that.

lurker4334
Nov 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Strange Attractor, the free companion album that was released alongside SM, also has some really pretty songs like "Nocturne for Norwood":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKpwSa5WDQ

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Mercury Rev:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCDrWOvW5M8

Deserter's Songs first half is great but I dislike the second half quite a bit.

-----

Finally the punk rockers are taking showers.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 17, 2018

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
A Brazillian indie shoegaze label has released a FLips tribute album, so that's cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MajorB posted:

A Brazillian indie shoegaze label has released a FLips tribute album, so that's cool.

yo this whole thing is good as gently caress

like it's up there with the Tribute to Spacemen 3 and the Cleopatra Records "goth bands do Pink Floyd" as far as "actually good tribute albums"

seriously it fuckin rips

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MajorB posted:

Well there's certainly more creativity and ambition in this thing than the last decade of the Lips' career

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That version of "Hit Me Like You Did the First Time" has actually supplanted the original in my brain.

e: if you didn't see it, also check out their tribute to Lush:

https://theblogthatcelebratesitself.bandcamp.com/album/lovelife-a-homage-to-lush

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well there's certainly more creativity and ambition in this thing than the last decade of the Lips' career
but the last main three flaming lips albums are pretty great
peace sword is solid too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Peace Sword did have some great songs on it, forever doomed to be remembered as "somehow related to that dumb Ender's Game movie"