Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

I read this wrong. You cannot use other third party compute, storage, or database services. I doubt that means you can't use your own servers and databases but maybe? Anyways if CIG ever bring up Google compute again it needs to be looked at closely.

Private servers were a stretch goal. They can't do private servers with Lumberyard.

My, what a contretemps.

It's like layered and stratified bullshit that started with Roberts' first intake of breath.

Taxxe;

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

Seeing as the Guard Frequency guy was the only one prescient enough (or with enough inside sources? :tinfoil:) to call the Ortwin thing ahead of time, I'm curious if they will address Skadden's response in the next episode, which is due tomorrow.

What do you mean?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

iospace posted:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Elite is considered by a significant amount of people as the Killer App for VR. I rarely if ever hear about any other game being as amazing in VR, but that may be bias at play here.

I think this says more about the other VR games than it does about E:D. I have nothing against it (and it actually exists) but it still seems about as deep as a puddle.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

What do you mean?

:yikes:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

I read this wrong. You cannot use other third party compute, storage, or database services. I doubt that means you can't use your own servers and databases but maybe? Anyways if CIG ever bring up Google compute again it needs to be looked at closely.

No, that's not what it means. You can run your own server and install databases (e.g. SQL, mySQL etc) on it. That section deals with just what it says "third-party" services which would mean Google Compute, Microsoft Azure etc

----------------

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

D_Smart posted:

What do you mean?

I thought it was clear from context that I was talking about the online lawyer pundit types.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

iospace posted:

They can't terminate the license by "changing the engine", that's been discussed already. They would have to give CryTek notice of termination and, it, by contract, can not be immediate either.

That's also patently wrong. And has been discussed.

The GLA does NOT have "at will" termination clause. Here is what it says.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 22, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

D_Smart posted:

What do you mean?

They mean that star citizen is bad

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Private servers were a stretch goal. They can't do private servers with Lumberyard.

Why not? They totally can.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

I thought it was clear from context that I was talking about the online lawyer pundit types.

It wasn't clear to me because I didn't hear anything in the broadcast that would lead me to believe that 1) they "call the Ortwin thing" ahead of time 2) the result of #1, is what led you to posit that they may have sources.

So clearly I may have missed something because the broadcast came after all the filings were in place, and there was nothing they could have "called" Ortwin on that wasn't already public knowledge. Unless you meant "call out"?

quote:

Seeing as the Guard Frequency guy was the only one prescient enough (or with enough inside sources? ) to call the Ortwin thing ahead of time,

----------------

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

CIG can't do anything, I called it years ago :smuggo:

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Also at this point it should be clear that it is stretchgoals schmetchgoals. Extrapolating what they have done so far and in what kind of quality they delivered it, can only lead to the realization that none of us will see this castle in the sky no matter what happens.

Funny thought is that the whales that got fracked hardest are probably the group of people everyone -be it CIG, Crytek, the judge, Skadden, this thread, etc.- cares least about at this point. And rightfully so.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Did Bootcha get taken?
:ohdear:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Marauder posted:

I think this says more about the other VR games than it does about E:D. I have nothing against it (and it actually exists) but it still seems about as deep as a puddle.

It's also a personal take, for me there are now tons of games in VR that are better, even though Elite still is great in VR.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

They mean that star citizen is bad

There is no game so it can't be bad.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

thatguy posted:

Did Bootcha get taken?
:ohdear:

As an alternate to the legal concerns, it might just be a good idea to wait and see how the court case goes before continuing to document things because the Crytek stuff is there from the beginning and looks like it will be there at the end.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

It wasn't clear to me because I didn't hear anything in the broadcast that would lead me to believe that 1) they "call the Ortwin thing" ahead of time 2) the result of #1, is what led you to posit that they may have sources.

So clearly I may have missed something because the broadcast came after all the filings were in place, and there was nothing they could have "called" Ortwin on that wasn't already public knowledge. Unless you meant "call out"?

They only talk about the case for a minute, but they guy says that the changes to crytek's filing (the intentionally's) said to him that whatever they found in the waiver made ortwin look really bad.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

G0RF posted:

I stand with Clifford. His loyalty to Chris Roberts and affinity for Miku seem bizarre but he’s too amiable and gentle spirited to be lumped in with the jerk class citizens. He and my boy Dan ”let’s gooooooooh” Gheesling put friendlier faces on the game than most of the usual suspects. CIG needs more personalities that actually seem to enjoy playing the game and don’t have livestream meltdowns every fortnight.

I don’t personally stand with anyone who obsessively brags on the internet about how great and rich they are. His words almost resemble those of a nice person, but his actions reek of pure vanity and self aggrandizement. He “donates” obscene amounts of money to one of the most unethical for-profit companies I’ve ever seen, uses them as tax write-offs like he’s hand-delivering clean water and goats to starving African villages, and then posts pictures of his receipts and file folders while hi-fiving himself about his disposable income.

Just because he’s better than the worst irredeemable scumbag SC cultists doesn’t mean he’s good.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Guys halp. I made my shitizen coworker feel bad and now hes ignoring me.

"They are doing things that have never been tried !"

Me "Derek Smart did it all over a decade ago."

Him "gently caress Derekt Shart."

Do any of you loving realize how god awful cringey it is to here DEREKT SHART irl and unironically? Im cringing still.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

I don’t personally stand with anyone who obsessively brags on the internet about how great and rich they are. His words almost resemble those of a nice person, but his actions reek of pure vanity and self aggrandizement. He “donates” obscene amounts of money to one of the most unethical for-profit companies I’ve ever seen, uses them as tax write-offs like he’s hand-delivering clean water and goats to starving African villages, and then posts pictures of his receipts and file folders while hi-fiving himself about his disposable income.

Just because he’s better than the worst irredeemable scumbag SC cultists doesn’t mean he’s good.

He's also a fuckking nob

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D_Smart posted:

That's also patently wrong. And has been discussed.

The GLA does NOT have "at will" termination clause. Here is what it says.

Ah, ok. I knew the termination agreement was discussed prior, guess I was wrong on the specifics.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI&t=2115s

Probably posted before, but watch a bit to see a dig at Chris Roberts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

grimcreaper posted:

Do any of you loving realize how god awful cringey it is to here DEREKT SHART irl and unironically? Im cringing still.

How much is in for?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Just laugh

Just laugh you can't get fired for laughing at star citizen, it's true, I read it on the back of an idris box

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

Just send him some bitcoin, drat.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

#I_Ironically_Stand_With_Clifford_In_A_Subtle_Callback_To_Prior_Thread_Meme_I_Stand_With_Sandi_If_That_Was_Not_Clear_From_Context

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

No, you're confused over the concept of a private server vs a private instance. Private instance is a playground that Star Citizen operates, the private server is a shitizen setting up a 'no girls aloud' [sic] universe. This was a selling point to the people that want to be king of their own domain.

This is same misconception that No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous ran into and suffered mild PR hits from in terms of the mismatch between dreams and reality.

quote:

“Icinix: With the recent renege of offline capability of Elite Dangerous - is CIG still committed to providing offline Private Servers and Squadron 42 for backers?
Yes, as far as offline goes as long as you've downloaded the game through our downloader and thus have a legitimate copy you can play Squadron 42 and single player stuff without an internet connection, like on your laptop while travelling or something. Obviously you won't be able to do the co-op or multiplayer segments there, but we've said that. As far as hosting your own offline servers that's definitely still going to happen, just not to the same level of fidelity as our own servers, given that we have hundreds and hundreds or even thousands of servers spinning up dynamically to handle things like the economy simulation, different player instances, matchmaking stuff, PU databases etc etc as well. The offline or Private servers will be more like the freelancer servers are now, where you have a server that can handle a fixed number of players, and all you and your friends can run around together. No one will be able to run a moddable server with say a million players it's just impossible, you'd need a server base at the same scale as we'll have. But you'll certainly have these smaller servers available for you and your friends if you don't want to play in our PU. These smaller servers won't be updated as quickly as our PU, like we'll drop content and other game-master events in ours first as it's the priority and it would be an extra level of work bring it down to work on smaller level servers. So we're still going to deliver on all of our promises with that caveat which I've said from the beginning, the PU is just going to be able to support more players and be far more dynamic in a way that the moddable private servers won't be. I kind of understand why the Elite: Dangerous guys made that choice, because their game does revolve around some of that dynamic stuff that they provide, just like our PU will, but we're still allowing single player in the form of SQ42 and you'll still be able to run your own scaled down private servers.”
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=47&qid=10

It's one of the more rapidly eroding promises from the original concept that they'd build this with a framework that was less tied to a company that provides commodity database, networking and instancing.

For extra lols;
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/128673/#Comment_128673

quote:

1. The plan is that you get the same universe to start and that's it for the most part. You won't get the systems that are added to the existing world and hidden because we don't want you taking apart the game to find them and then going to the full server. If players demand more, we'll see how it goes... but the plan is that we'll launch with the toolkit for you to create the same kind of content we'll be adding to the live universe.

2. The goal is for everything to be moddable! Nothing like Wing Commander where everything was hidden away.

3. No intent to limit private servers in any way.

4. As mentioned in number 1, the hope is to give you as much control over the private server as we have over the full one. We haven't built our own tools yet, though, so I don't have any specifics. :)

5. This isn't one we've thought about, but it's do-able. It would have to be in only one direction, though... no beefing up your character offline to take over the live universe.

6. Yes absolutely. The goal is to come up with ways for players to play together no matter what type of server they're on.

7. Yup -- expect in-universe arenas that'll continue this.

8. There will be such an API, but we're still speccing it out. We know what people want on this one, though!

9. I believe so. Are you thinking like the external map app for Ultima Online? Origin made a big mistake not integrating that stuff with the game as soon as players figured it out... they were improving the game experience for everyone, for free.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Good luck Hav

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Hav posted:

No, you're confused over the concept of a private server vs a private instance. Private instance is a playground that Star Citizen operates, the private server is a shitizen setting up a 'no girls aloud' [sic] universe. This was a selling point to the people that want to be king of their own domain.

This is same misconception that No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous ran into and suffered mild PR hits from in terms of the mismatch between dreams and reality.

http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=47&qid=10

It's one of the more rapidly eroding promises from the original concept that they'd build this with a framework that was less tied to a company that provides commodity database, networking and instancing.

They have been explicitly saying that private servers would not be viable due to the scope creep increase for at least a year now. That is to say hosting a private server on a beige box in your basement is not going to be a thing with the way they are (supposedly) developing their instancing tech. If anything, it may be possible to operate leased cloud systems along the same lines of what you can do with Minecraft now, but that is not something that has been mentioned by them... just something that might be feasible if they somehow don't crash and burn. I expect that any private server fetaure, if such a thing survives to theoretical release, would follow that model. In theory, Lumberyard and AWS would make that pretty easy.

The Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 22, 2018

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

His full sig block should look like

Chris Roberts
CEO
Malibu
Los Angeles
USA
Planet Earth
Solar Sytem
Milky Way

He should really add:

Virgo Super Cluster

So it will easier for Skadden to locate him in the future.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Good luck Hav

Sometimes it feels like he's still with us. I look at the thread expecting to see his next post.

Then it hits me.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

Sometimes it feels like he's still with us. I look at the thread expecting to see his next post.

Then it hits me.

I don't underststand I need a supervisor due to my donkey brains

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Grilled cheese sandwiches and donuts

gently caress yeah! Bring the beer!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr.Tophat posted:

I don't underststand I need a supervisor due to my donkey brains

He time-travelled from a time when I'd been viciously and brutally taken down.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Most of them were motion captured by one of the lead designers using a pretty technically-primitive system that involved a lot of method acting. You know, poking him with a broomstick to simulate bullet impacts, tying a rope around his waist and telling him you'll pull it on the count of three to simulate an explosion (then pulling on two so he flails in surprise more realistically)... Come to think of it, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark might have just been a really expensive cover for a ritual hazing.

Most of the GoldenEye 64 team consisted on people who had never made a game, so what did they know of game development :shrug:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hav posted:

He time-travelled from a time when I'd been viciously and brutally taken down.

I don't want to post anymore if each post brings us closer to that moment.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Private servers are like the Pandora's Box of Star Citizen. Once you start looking for answers you can't go back to being a citizen.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

How much is in for?

I wasnt able to prod it out of him but im going to guess a large amount. It seems to be those with 1k+ that seriously use things like Derekt Shart in actual conversations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Virtual Captain posted:

Private servers are like the Pandora's Box of Star Citizen. Once you start looking for answers you can't go back to being a citizen.

I think you're getting Pandora's Box confused with the sunglasses from They Live. It happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I think you're getting Pandora's Box confused with the sunglasses from They Live. It happens.

Best fight scene ever.

The Kins posted:

Most of them were motion captured by one of the lead designers using a pretty technically-primitive system that involved a lot of method acting. You know, poking him with a broomstick to simulate bullet impacts, tying a rope around his waist and telling him you'll pull it on the count of three to simulate an explosion (then pulling on two so he flails in surprise more realistically)... Come to think of it, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark might have just been a really expensive cover for a ritual hazing.

The face of a man dropped on '2'.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 22, 2018