Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My son is 13 and just getting into Sanderson. He's halfway through Oathbringer and loves the series. He's also read Warbreaker, and Lightsong came up. He called Lightsong the "God of Dad Jokes," and said "I bet you thought he was hilarious, dad" while rolling his eyes.

You're goddamned right I did, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Humor is subjective and I get that but honestly I've found alot to smile, if not laugh at, in most of Sanderson's books. Lift being Literally A Child. Shallan and Adolin's "I probably shouldn't be hearing this but its funny" moments. Wax and Wayne's routine. MeLaan's morbid humor. Lightsong being groan worthy in almost every scene except the final one.

There's alot of humor I find in the interactions between moving parts and the parts that just don't fit. Leading to the occasional hiccup or highlighting something that is rather odd by comparison. MeLaan being a Kandra and how her world fits into the human one is pretty perfect example of this.

The only book I struggle to think if there was much humor in was Elantris? I've not read it in along time.

:shrug:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Thyrork posted:

Humor is subjective and I get that but honestly I've found alot to smile, if not laugh at, in most of Sanderson's books. Lift being Literally A Child. Shallan and Adolin's "I probably shouldn't be hearing this but its funny" moments. Wax and Wayne's routine. MeLaan's morbid humor. Lightsong being groan worthy in almost every scene except the final one.

There's alot of humor I find in the interactions between moving parts and the parts that just don't fit. Leading to the occasional hiccup or highlighting something that is rather odd by comparison. MeLaan being a Kandra and how her world fits into the human one is pretty perfect example of this.

The only book I struggle to think if there was much humor in was Elantris? I've not read it in along time.

:shrug:

Raoden was pretty light hearted and would make jokes, but it wasn't anywhere like Brandon's other characters.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

Dalinar is becoming God.

someone will have to pick up the 3rd shard in this universe, if the Almighty truly is dead

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

CoolHandMat posted:

someone will have to pick up the 3rd shard in this universe, if the Almighty truly is dead

Odium presumably shattered the shard. Odium at least thinks this means no one should be able to pick up the shard.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Pash posted:

Odium presumably shattered the shard. Odium at least thinks this means no one should be able to pick up the shard.

Unite them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Strumpy posted:

Unite them

NO. WE KILLED YOU!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scene still gives me shivers

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Strumpy posted:

Unite them

It's going to be interesting to see what the in-world reactions are to certain characters coming to this conclusion.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Remember when Gavilar left a dying message to Dalinar that he "needed to find the most important words a man can say"?

And then a mysterious voice started incessantly whispering "Unite Them" to Dalinar?

And then it turned out the the 2nd oath of the Bondsmiths was basically "I will unite men"?

I'm pretty convinced Nohadon's ghost has been trying to help Dalinar speed through his oaths, and also Nohadon is who Odium was referring to when he said "We killed you". If you rewind a couple scenes you'll notice Odium takes the time to destroy Dalinar's book "Way of Kings" with a lightning bolt, and refers to it as "The words of a man long dead, long failed." Couple that with Dalinar having a trippy interactive dream with Nodadon, and Stormfather remembering Nohadon as a good person when Stormfather in general has a terrible memory and doesn't care about humans, and the pieces kind of come together. Nohadon's ghost has just been chilling in Shadesmar waiting for his big opportunity, just like another character in Secret History.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dalinar is Brandon's oldest (as in earliest) Cosmere character, so I don't think he's going to cheapen Dalinar's journey in that way.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Emperor's Soul is on sale for a $1.95 on Audible today according to Sanderson's Twitter.

It's definitely an enjoyable read. I just listened to it a couple weeks ago as well and it's well done, and only 6-8 hours.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Potato Salad posted:

Dalinar is Brandon's oldest (as in earliest) Cosmere character, so I don't think he's going to cheapen Dalinar's journey in that way.

Nothing is cheap on Dalinar's journey. To borrow a phrase from another series, everything he's accomplished has been through fire and blood. No small amount of his own, either.

That said, he's certainly open for guidance/pointers.

It's possible Nohadon is a Cognitive Shadow/ghost. It may also be that he's chatting from the Spiritual Realm--I think that's where Honor's Visions are pulled from, and now that Dalinar is capable of tapping that well directly he might be able to get further visions/visits/Obi Wan directives. It's an interesting theory that really jibes with what we know of the old king and the familiarity of all the nonhuman characters. Hell, he might have been bonded to the Stormfather (obv, this would have to have been prior to Honor finally giving out so not sure how that works on the timeline).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost
Regarding Nohadon/Dalinar

Weren't there references to Dalinar thinking "Wasn't that what I told Nohadon the first time I had a vision?" or something like that? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some time loop interaction fuckery involved somewhere.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Dalinar

It seems obvious to me that Dalinar will recombine the splinters of Honor and be able to take up the shard himself, but since he called himself Unity I think he is going to end up taking up both the Honor and Cultivation shards and pull a Sazed (and this seems to be Cultivations plan). I think its also possible Unity would be Honor + Cultivation + Odium (after they kill him and recombine his splinters) as that would be basically the Triforce. That's book 10 stuff though. I think Dalinar will become Honor by the end of this 5 book set at the very least.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

insider posted:

Dalinar

It seems obvious to me that Dalinar will recombine the splinters of Honor and be able to take up the shard himself, but since he called himself Unity I think he is going to end up taking up both the Honor and Cultivation shards and pull a Sazed (and this seems to be Cultivations plan). I think its also possible Unity would be Honor + Cultivation + Odium (after they kill him and recombine his splinters) as that would be basically the Triforce. That's book 10 stuff though. I think Dalinar will become Honor by the end of this 5 book set at the very least.

I think Dalinar becoming Unity is him already pulling in aspects of each of the 3 Shards of Roshar. All 3 have invested in him (Odium's attention trying to make him be held by the Thrill), being a bondsmith, and Cultivations boon. He seems to have gathered more of Honor currently and I would guess he is somewhere along the way to becoming like honor, but probably needs to find the Sibling that gets talked about a lot first.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It'd be interesting if he rose to divinity through unintended cooperative efforts on the parts of the three shards, instead of simply reclaiming and merging them.

Some end-positive momentum in the ongoing disaster that has been Adonalsium shattering and setting the idea that this isn't going to be a universe where it ends when all the fragments come back together.

I mean, maybe twinborn and the nature of compounding the magic systems hints that new divinities could come about?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I think much like kelsier couldn’t hold preservation for more then a few hours dalinar couldn’t hold honor alone. He’s too attunded to three shards to hold only one, so the back half may be him slowly combining and accessing splinters of honor and cultivation, forcing odium to further invest himself to match. And eventually Odium will over commit himself and Dalinar will rip the shard from Rayse, who will endure as a sliver himself.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
I agree with you guys on the previous page - I sure do hope there's a different reason for the recreance. I don't buy the whole ancestors committing a crime thing as a valid reason to essentially kill your bonded life partner. Hopefully he has a better reason or I'm going to be massively disappointed.

I also agree that he's given away too much of the mystery too early. What don't we really understand about the cosmere at this point? The shattering itself? Everything else seems to have been already answered or heavily hinted at through WoB's.

Thyrork posted:

It'd be interesting if he rose to divinity through unintended cooperative efforts on the parts of the three shards, instead of simply reclaiming and merging them.

Some end-positive momentum in the ongoing disaster that has been Adonalsium shattering and setting the idea that this isn't going to be a universe where it ends when all the fragments come back together.

I mean, maybe twinborn and the nature of compounding the magic systems hints that new divinities could come about?

Interesting point. I suppose that Harmony is already a combination that has never existed before. What makes you think that Adonalsium reconstituting isn't the end game of this universe?

spootime fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 23, 2018

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
It's like killing your wife because you found out her ancestors wiped out the American Indians.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Since we've already done the "hero ascends into godhood" story I would be really surprised if Brandon ended this series the exact same way. Dude loves his crazy and unexpected endings.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

There's a case it may not have been intentional. The bond is based on feeling and thought, not conscious choose - at least for some orders. If they feel they've done wrong and betrayed their oaths, the bond breaks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

It's like killing your wife because you found out her ancestors wiped out the American Indians.

Also your wife is a walking tacnuke, and her strategic nuke sister just depopulated tibet

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

spootime posted:

Interesting point. I suppose that Harmony is already a combination that has never existed before. What makes you think that Adonalsium reconstituting isn't the end game of this universe?

Subvisual Haze posted:

Since we've already done the "hero ascends into godhood" story I would be really surprised if Brandon ended this series the exact same way. Dude loves his crazy and unexpected endings.

Subvisual Haze pretty much nailed it for me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When are we dropping the spoiler tags for ob?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Potato Salad posted:

When are we dropping the spoiler tags for ob?

Never :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm still curious why Odium said "we" killed you, and not "I" killed you. It means we either don't know the truth about a very big event in Roshar's past... or Odium wasn't referring to Honor. Though the idea that Dalinar somehow tapped in to something like Adonalsium's power would be beyond ridiculous. OTOH, Hoid says Adonalsium to Dalinar in an earlier book just to see what (if any) reaction Dalinar had to the word. And I'm pretty sure a WoB has established Hoid having a past connection to it beyond the shattering. :shrug:

(It'smore likely that Odium used the royal 'we' or just referred to his forces in general. Otherwise it means someone else helped him destroy Honor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm still curious why Odium said "we" killed you, and not "I" killed you. It means we either don't know the truth about a very big event in Roshar's past... or Odium wasn't referring to Honor. Though the idea that Dalinar somehow tapped in to something like Adonalsium's power would be beyond ridiculous. OTOH, Hoid says Adonalsium to Dalinar in an earlier book just to see what (if any) reaction Dalinar had to the word. And I'm pretty sure a WoB has established Hoid having a past connection to it beyond the shattering. :shrug:

(It'smore likely that Odium used the royal 'we' or just referred to his forces in general. Otherwise it means someone else helped him destroy Honor.

my best guess is still that for a few moments dalinar as UNITY had enough of three shards' investiture to remind him of Adonalsium. especially since we don't know much about the shattering of Adonalsium but it wouldn't be too surprising if it happened because the 16 of them joined together and killed him/her/them. anyways i think brandon is pretty aggressively RAFOing all questions about that moment, why Odium said 'we', or what 'unity' is so it may be a very long time before we know more.

I guess as a backup explanation, the idea that someone else (Autonomy or a yet-unnamed Shard) might've been in on the killing of Honor isn't totally crazy, but it would have to have been a pretty covert collaboration for Cultivation and the Stormfather to not know about it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

spootime posted:

I agree with you guys on the previous page - I sure do hope there's a different reason for the recreance. I don't buy the whole ancestors committing a crime thing as a valid reason to essentially kill your bonded life partner. Hopefully he has a better reason or I'm going to be massively disappointed.

I think they touched on that. As part of finding out that they were actually the invaders they also found out that humans came to the planet because surgebinding had destroyed their previous planet. Normally when the Knights found this stuff out (apparently this was a regular thing) Honor was around and would tell them things like, hey, don't worry about what your ancestors did or did not do, and don't worry you are not going to blow up this planet things are better now (powers maybe more limited than they were in the past? Kinda like the changes Harmony made after he fixed the planet - no more Mistborns showing up). Instead this time Honor was dieing and going a little insane and started telling them that yes, they would destroy this planet to. That batch of knights took this disillusionment of their past righteousness and saw the supposed threat they posed to the world and decided the honorable thing for them to do, and the best thing for the world, was to break their bonds and kill their spren. The Stormfather even comes to realize during the book that the Lost Radients might have been misguided but they were working with bad information and actually did the honorable thing, even if it hurt.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My favourite scene in Oathbringer was DESTROY! EVIL! because it was written in a pretty cool way and also up until that point I don't think we've ever seen anyone succesfully wield Nightbane. I don't think I remember it actually happening in Warbreaker except for maybe in the final fight that I don't remember.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

bewilderment posted:

My favourite scene in Oathbringer was DESTROY! EVIL! because it was written in a pretty cool way and also up until that point I don't think we've ever seen anyone succesfully wield Nightbane. I don't think I remember it actually happening in Warbreaker except for maybe in the final fight that I don't remember.

Yeah investiture hanging around on roshar is much easier to move around and Dalinar had just opened up essentially an unlimited spigot thanks to the perpendicularity. Nightblood burns investiture at an insane rate. But between Nightblood and Shallan's phantom army (and Jasnah soulcasting all over the place) they probably went through a few million breaths worth during the battle. I still want a hard number from Brandon about how many broams of stormlight stores are equivalent to a breath. Or maybe a better way to ask him is "How many infused broams does a breath cost in shadesmar" since he has only given a very vague answer to this before.

And yeah Vasher used nightblood for a little bit to vaporize some walls and some of the thrall army during the finale of Warbreaker.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah investiture hanging around on roshar is much easier to move around and Dalinar had just opened up essentially an unlimited spigot thanks to the perpendicularity. Nightblood burns investiture at an insane rate. But between Nightblood and Shallan's phantom army (and Jasnah soulcasting all over the place) they probably went through a few million breaths worth during the battle. I still want a hard number from Brandon about how many broams of stormlight stores are equivalent to a breath. Or maybe a better way to ask him is "How many infused broams does a breath cost in shadesmar" since he has only given a very vague answer to this before.

And yeah Vasher used nightblood for a little bit to vaporize some walls and some of the thrall army during the finale of Warbreaker.

Final battle I kind of expected Vasher to show up and help in the final battle since they've even mentioned him once or twice I wonder what the plan with him even is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Final battle I kind of expected Vasher to show up and help in the final battle since they've even mentioned him once or twice I wonder what the plan with him even is.

I imagine that we'll find out in their next book. Given the situation with stormlight, it could be something like Vasher is slowly absorbing Stormlight to (re)awaken since for someone like him it's basically an endless source of Breath. Warbreaker 2 could shine more light on his actions but for someone like Vasher I have to imagine Roshar is literally mana from heaven every time a highstorm occurs. Depending on how long he's been on the world he could have breath that rivals or exceeds Susebron's.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Vasher I figured is just looking for nightblood - and he is bound to run into or hear about Seth sooner than later now.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I imagine that we'll find out in their next book. Given the situation with stormlight, it could be something like Vasher is slowly absorbing Stormlight to (re)awaken since for someone like him it's basically an endless source of Breath. Warbreaker 2 could shine more light on his actions but for someone like Vasher I have to imagine Roshar is literally mana from heaven every time a highstorm occurs. Depending on how long he's been on the world he could have breath that rivals or exceeds Susebron's.

I don't know if he's actively hoarding Stormlight, since he had that treasure trove of Breaths on Nalthis and basically just gave it up because it painted too much of a target on his back (actual or via responsibility, either way). He's Returned, so he needs to "eat" a little investiture every week to survive. On Nalthis that means Breaths from people. On Roshar, he can convert/absorb Stormlight...somehow. Going from various Words of B, he's probably not able to actually convert it to Breath, or at least a Breath that's Awakening-usable; he's not able to surgebind either so that means he's probably just accessing the "raw" investiture power behind it and using that for his weekly fix. How to convert various forms of Investiture between systems/planets is going to be a big topic once the worldhopping gets serious.

To put it another way, Investiture=Electricity, and Stormlight and Breaths are two completely different types of batteries. What's stored is more or less the same, but the storage medium and compatibility varies. If you have the right equipment and some cables, you can run something that normally takes a 9V battery off a bunch of AAs, while not actually creating more 9V batteries. It's probably a close analogue.

Vasher is a helpful sort and a Good Guy, but he's also crazy old and not a limelight chasing sort. Offering sage advice is just about his speed, but whether he'll stick around during a literal Apocalypse or Hop off since it's "not his fight" may be a coin flip (sphere toss?). Guess it'll be based on what happens when Vivenna catches up to him, and what he will do when he finds out Nightblood is being used extensively.

Side note: Vasher's with Dalinar's Ardents, and Szeth is probably going to be sticking close to Dalinar when they get back...someone's going to hear a familiar, cheerful "Whom shall we kill today, Master?" in his head soon.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Avalerion posted:

Vasher I figured is just looking for nightblood - and he is bound to run into or hear about Seth sooner than later now.

Heh, conversely, I kinda figured Vasher was there trying to avoid or stay away from it, rather than find it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I figured he went to Roshar to find nightblood and then decided 'screw it, I'll take a century off'.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Or just figured someone's bound to show up with it to an arena fight sooner or later.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Vasher is a helpful sort and a Good Guy, but he's also crazy old and not a limelight chasing sort. Offering sage advice is just about his speed, but whether he'll stick around during a literal Apocalypse or Hop off since it's "not his fight" may be a coin flip (sphere toss?). Guess it'll be based on what happens when Vivenna catches up to him, and what he will do when he finds out Nightblood is being used extensively.

Side note: Vasher's with Dalinar's Ardents, and Szeth is probably going to be sticking close to Dalinar when they get back...someone's going to hear a familiar, cheerful "Whom shall we kill today, Master?" in his head soon.

I'd be surprised if Vasher isn't aware of what Nightblood's being used for to some degree. He almost certainly gave the sword to Nale willingly and if he hasn't bailed on Dalinar then he's going to know about Nightblood being used by Szeth in the battle as word of the Assassin in White pledging loyalty to Dalinar is going to spread very fast.

After the recent book, it seems more likely that Vasher went there with Nightblood and did so against the wishes/advice of others for whatever reason. If he was looking for Nightblood he wouldn't just tied himself down in a location. He'd get in a position where he can move any time he hears rumors that could be related to the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Nightwatcher had the sword before Nale. I figured Vasher gave it to her/it.