Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Siacoin is hilarious.

The cloud storage currency! Why pay Google up to $10 a month for 1TB of storage? With us, it may only cost you $2/month. Sign up now! Just

1. Download our wallet, and blockchain, set up your encryption keys and passwords, don't lose them or you lose access to your files forever!
2. Buy some Bitcoin, available in the US at Coinbase. They only need your bank info and picture of drivers license
3. Sign up for an exchange, we recommend Bittrex
4. Transfer your bitcoins to Bittrex, and buy Siacoins with them at current market rates
5. Purchase a storage contract with one of our fine, Eastern European hosts. Starting at just 50 Siacoins per month (+bandwidth costs)
6. Enjoy up to 90% uptime with no guarantees on reliability, speed, or even being able to access your data ever again

You'll be saving up to $8/month in no time.

BTW our currency has a market cap of $1.2 Billion and total used network storage of 129TB of (NOT CP), the equivalent of which in 12 TB Hard drives would cost $5500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

Bitcoin isn't meant to be a currency it is a store of value like gold.
*fluctuates in value by 30% a day*

Nah, currency should be used as a store of value too.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

junan_paalla posted:

Not to mention the absurdity of a deflationary currency. Tx fees aren't a problem when nobody wants to use the currency (since its gonna go up up up) and the economy grinds to a halt.

Bitcoin is not deflationary. It has an inflation of 4% pa (vs 2% pa for non-shithole countries) due to mining, and nothing except "pinky promise" limits supply long term.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Bitcoin is extremely deflationary. It’s whole schtick is that it’s deflationary. You wouldn’t get rich if it wasn’t.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alpha Mayo posted:

Bitcoin isn't meant to be a currency it is a store of value like gold.
*fluctuates in value by 30% a day*
Bitcoin and Gold are actually similar. They're over inflated, useless garbage that's propped up by ignorance.

In gold's case there is some industrial and jewelery use, but its value far exceeds its utility due to speculation and people seeing it as a "store of value" despite nothing inherently making it one other than "common knowledge".

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

http://omnichest.info/lookupadd.aspx?address=1KYiKJEfdJtap9QX2v9BXJMpz2SfU4pgZw

Bitfinex received 100M more tether 12 hours ago. Now down to 54M.

Tether printer warming up right now.

Clearly not enough, it's dropping hard again

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

downward slide whistle noises

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Khorne posted:

Bitcoin and Gold are actually similar. They're over inflated, useless garbage that's propped up by ignorance.

In gold's case there is some industrial and jewelery use, but its value far exceeds its utility due to speculation and people seeing it as a "store of value" despite nothing inherently making it one other than "common knowledge".

gold is pretty to look at, you bonobo

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

*smashes david, a masterpiece sculpture made by the italian renaissance artist michelangelo*

this thing is loving worthless!!!

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

Siacoin is hilarious.

The cloud storage currency! Why pay Google up to $10 a month for 1TB of storage? With us, it may only cost you $2/month. Sign up now! Just

1. Download our wallet, and blockchain, set up your encryption keys and passwords, don't lose them or you lose access to your files forever!
2. Buy some Bitcoin, available in the US at Coinbase. They only need your bank info and picture of drivers license
3. Sign up for an exchange, we recommend Bittrex
4. Transfer your bitcoins to Bittrex, and buy Siacoins with them at current market rates
5. Purchase a storage contract with one of our fine, Eastern European hosts. Starting at just 50 Siacoins per month (+bandwidth costs)
6. Enjoy up to 90% uptime with no guarantees on reliability, speed, or even being able to access your data ever again

You'll be saving up to $8/month in no time.

BTW our currency has a market cap of $1.2 Billion and total used network storage of 129TB of (NOT CP), the equivalent of which in 12 TB Hard drives would cost $5500.

That's amazing. I caught the siacoin pump back in December, and made a decent amount of money. Glad to know this was what was behind it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Anyone saying "gold has some use as jewelry I guess..." hasn't read about the goddamn bonkers level of demand for gold jewelry in India and China.

Also lol bitcoin is in freefall again, 10500 this time, wonder how long until the Tethers kick in

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
bitcoin always drops 20% in the morning, doh!
buy the dip!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Minorkos posted:

gold is pretty to look at, you bonobo
So are lots of other materials. The numbers for gold don't work out. There's a reason no one with a brain is investing any significant portion of their wealth into gold either unless they're buying at far below market price.

Fine art has value by the way. It's a better investment than gold or crypto. I'd never buy anything I wouldn't personally keep, but I have made some decent money selling things I bought for personal use from estate sales and things like that. That there's no harm in listing it for far more than you paid is a great plus.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 22, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Idiots hoarding video cards and gamers being upset about it

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7s434f/this_is_why_gamers_hate_miners_so_much/

quote:

this pisses me the gently caress off. I can imagine people who have saved up months to afford a gaming PC, and can't afford a top tier card... gently caress miners, gently caress them with everything.

:qq: can't even buy a top tier card

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
its so tragic that poo poo will get fried or ebayed in a month.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Inept posted:

gently caress cryptominers for pushing up graphics card prices.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

temple posted:

its so tragic that poo poo will get fried or ebayed in month.

Or returned to Microcenter by tomorrow when they realize ROI is never.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

There's never going to be any shortage of demand for gold. As a rule I think something that was hugely desirable as far back as Egyptian times is a pretty safe "store of value".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Inept posted:

Even my 5-year-old mid-range card went up in price $100.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

divabot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70iRcSxqzo

There's a writeup of highlights of the video, if you don’t have time to watch it — though you absolutely should when you can.

Bitcoin is not only traceable, it's really traceable. Obscurity will only get you as far as you don't catch someone's interest.

Absolute pro clicks right here.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
all these noob traders with weak hands don't understand the value of hodling and just giving up their money to the whales

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

gently caress cryptominers for pushing up graphics card prices.

If/when crypto goes back down, there will be a flood of cheap cards. Some of them might not even be broken!

Imagine being AMD and Nvidia and having to pay analysts to predict what will happen with crypto because it could completely gently caress over your business if you get it wrong.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Price fixing on Gdax and Bitfinex again. Must be that "low volume" that happens during a crash.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

paternity suitor posted:

Bitcoin is extremely deflationary. It’s whole schtick is that it’s deflationary. You wouldn’t get rich if it wasn’t.

The schtick is butters believe it is deflationary. Making 12.5 new butts every 10 minutes is the opposite of deflation, though.

The combination of new baghodlers entering the system and the tether printer means that USD/"USD" in the butt-system was increaseing faster for a while, making butt prices vs USD increase despite the inflation.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

klafbang posted:

The schtick is butters believe it is deflationary. Making 12.5 new butts every 10 minutes is the opposite of deflation, though.

The combination of new baghodlers entering the system and the tether printer means that USD/"USD" in the butt-system was increaseing faster for a while, making butt prices vs USD increase despite the inflation.

Eh at this point the rate of new butts coming in is probably less than the rate of people forgetting their wallet's password, losing the private key, hard drive failure, forgetting about a wallet address you had that had some balance, or dying without anyone else knowing the key. That all permanently destroys the butts.

But there were so many altcoins created so rapidly, and they poo poo out coins like crazy, that crypto as a whole has been insanely inflationary, while also being a negative sum game to begin with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

klafbang posted:

No, creating currency at a slower rate than the value of goods/currencies that it's being traded against is the definition of deflation. It's about price and purchasing power, not the absolute number of units in circulation.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
still looking bleak out there, how do I contact the tether suicide hotline for another round of magic money?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
It's not looking too bad
https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

this archived version made me go bald from stress

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wanna let you guys know about my upcoming venture, Steely DanCoin

The value goes up every time I play the "Aja" album, now's the time if you want to be rich

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
~10k is the floor. This is the time to buy.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Moxxis Endowment posted:

~10k is the floor. This is the time to buy.

You first

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Durzel posted:

There's never going to be any shortage of demand for gold. As a rule I think something that was hugely desirable as far back as Egyptian times is a pretty safe "store of value".

Not to mention that gold is fungible. The gold used in processor pins may have been Nazi gold at one point, which may have been roman coins, which may have been Egyptian treasure. There's no material lost in the remanufacture of gold so it's almost infinitely reusable.

Unless you're using it in atomic weapons in that case your gold has now been turned into something else.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEb0PPsWWg

some sweet tunes for all my hodlers out there

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

Price fixing on Gdax and Bitfinex again. Must be that "low volume" that happens during a crash.
can you explain what you mean by price fixing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Do the Bitcoiners have an idea yet on what the miners will be doing once the last coin has been mined?
They have to keep mining to verify the transactions right, except then the reward that has to come completely from fees?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

Do the Bitcoiners have an idea yet on what the miners will be doing once the last coin has been mined?
They have to keep mining to verify the transactions right, except then the reward that has to come completely from fees?

bitcoin will be worth 1 moon, thus making fees valued in space stations rather than satoshis

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah but since the fees are $30-60, that's still $70,000-150,000 every 10 minutes right now. It also helps put in perspective how absolutely stupid the Bitcoin fees are. They can make nearly as much in fees as from mining coins right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where would bitcoin be if tether wasn't propping it up?

Also, I have finished my research on crypto. I have discovered that 100% of the people involved fall into one of two categories:

Idiots. Stupid people who are unable to think critically.

Assholes. Total shitheels that are trying to take advantage of others.

Thank you drive through.