Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
The Kia Stinger is a 365hp RWD or AWD V6 Twin Turbo for $38k / $42k.
my Mustang can now get its rear end kicked by a Kia. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kalvick posted:

(New) Mustangs are still cheaper and faster.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

frozenphil posted:

A regular cab, short bed, two wheel drive F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost weighs 4050lbs and has 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft. That's not far off a 2003 Cobra in an F150. What a time to be alive.

My real fear is that the 3.5 ecoboost will eventually replace the Coyote. Then again, to get coyote beating power from that means very thirsty consumption figures. And with this new direct injection tricknology, we are closer than ever to 100hp/L in a truly mainstream, mass produced American V8.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kalvick posted:

Randy Pobst shilled pretty hard for that car. I do like four doors and I do like the looks.

edit: there were Kia Optima's in Pirelli World Cup. Someone in that company wants to make something interesting

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

thebigcow posted:

edit: there were Kia Optima's in Pirelli World Cup.

Kias Optima

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Seamonster posted:

My real fear is that the 3.5 ecoboost will eventually replace the Coyote. Then again, to get coyote beating power from that means very thirsty consumption figures. And with this new direct injection tricknology, we are closer than ever to 100hp/L in a truly mainstream, mass produced American V8.
Eventually the GT will get the 3.5EB (or similar) and only special editions will get the V8.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
And my s550 V8 will still not go up in value who are we kidding.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just found the most hilarious mod

https://www.carid.com/vertical-doors-inc/lambo-door-conversion-kit-mpn-vdcfm9904.html?singleid=4309600&url=854917

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure one of those images is Kalvik’s car.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Rolo posted:

WHAT? NO! WHY!?!! BOOOOOOOOOOO!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rolo posted:

can't be. not the original tires

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Next episode of Pony in Italy:

My wife took a bunch of cool shots with her Canon, so I'll get way nicer ones in a bit.
Drove to a town called Lusiana on the mountain side.
Imgur is really butchering these pics, ugh.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 18, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive always liked overhead shots of our cars, its a good angle for it.

Gotta say I've never been a fan of those headlights though. My last car came with a set of them and I took em out.

Color is still dope.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Loving the Americar Goes Somewhere Else story.

You guys ever do cars and coffee? I’ve never gone but I live in a big city now and I bet it’d be great, plus I want to scare some crowds.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I went to a local small-ish car meet in Vicenza, Italy, and it was pretty funny and awesome how my 04 Mustang was one of the highlights among GTIs, STIs, M3 beamers and such.
Aww yiss, riding that high life. Going to one in march, so will get better pictures from there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No honey, nah, the snow won't be here soon. Yeah yeah, I'll buy the winter tires soon. But not like, today.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
So it's looking like the next GT500 will use a 5.2L supercharged engine making somewhere around 760hp, but the best part is that it will be available with an automatic!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Vahakyla posted:

No honey, nah, the snow won't be here soon. Yeah yeah, I'll buy the winter tires soon. But not like, today.

I scared the piss out of myself the first time I drove my mustang in the snow. Maybe slush like you have isn't so bad but a couple inches of the fresh stuff terrified me. As soon as I got home I was buying tires online.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Come to Raleigh they said, it doesn't get cold here, it doesn't snow here.

I'm going back to Texas.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anybody want to buy my valentine V1? Great radar detector, but my truck doesn't really induce speeding like the 'stang did. PM me.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Are there any good tips on making a convertible just drat less noisy? 80mph on the Autostrada is pretty unbearable to hold a discussion in with my vehicle. Neither window seems to seal properly, and there is some whizzing from the corners of the window and front of door near the mirror root.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can trade it for a coupe or better yet buy a coupe and park it next to it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vahakyla posted:

Are there any good tips on making a convertible just drat less noisy? 80mph on the Autostrada is pretty unbearable to hold a discussion in with my vehicle. Neither window seems to seal properly, and there is some whizzing from the corners of the window and front of door near the mirror root.

Noise cancelling headphones.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

*rows through gears, makes engine noises*

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

"Guys help, I bought a bucket with holes in the bottom and it keeps leaking. Any tips for making it leak less?"

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Vahakyla posted:

Realistically, you're not going to get a soft top convertible down to coupe level noise. Even with OEM levels of investment it's extraordinarily difficult. Still, if you have failed seals or material flapping in the wind, you can fix that and approach the acoustic performance of the car as it left the factory. If you're willing to deal with long-term maintenance of having acoustic material in your convertible's headliner, you can put it in, but don't be surprised when it sags or fails five years from now. Or, more immediately, jams up on folding.

Basically, if you want quiet at highway speeds and also the ability to open the roof, you need a folding hardtop. Preferably with a stylized L as the logo for the OE.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I got you fam~

Cage posted:

Another weird thing I just came across: hard tops for convertible new edges.

:chloe:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Umm I’d rather listen to a deafening wind noise and freeze to death than take that.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This thing is stupid fun. Also really glad I found one with the carbon sport interior, the leather/alcantra seats are great and I even dig the carbon fiber dash and shift knob.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh yes that is the stuff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

No 401A? (digital dash)

Still, sexy. I'm really liking the '18s.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

No 401A? (digital dash)

Still, sexy. I'm really liking the '18s.

Sadly no. Even the 400A was pushing my budget, I originally ordered a 301A w/ PP, but it was looking like April delivery if I was lucky, so I found a pretty good deal on a Premium at a closeish dealer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Sadly no. Even the 400A was pushing my budget, I originally ordered a 301A w/ PP, but it was looking like April delivery if I was lucky, so I found a pretty good deal on a Premium at a closeish dealer.
Understood. Mine was a 400A for the same reason. MSRP on mine was 36,xxx iirc. 'Stangs are getting expensive.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You just have to wait and not buy the first year as they only build the price gougey ones and no incentives.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is potentially a really dumb question but oh well.

How do the auto-high beams on my Mustang (2017) work? The user manual is pretty vague.

Here's how I would expect them to work: High beams go on, there's a forward-facing sensor to detect either an oncoming car or a car in front of you, and it drops the lights back to low beams, and then turns the brights back on when the car's gone.

However, I never see the lights switch back and forth between low and high. I put the high beams on, and it sure looks to me like they just stay on, no matter what's in front of me. However a second time, if I have them on, nobody ever flashes theirs at me to say "Hey, jerkass, your brights are on." Is this some technical wizardry where the lights somehow dim directionally or something like that?

I don't want to be that jerkass driving around with high brights on, so I've taken to just switching them off manually just as if the car didn't have that feature. But I'd like to know what's going on.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Phanatic posted:

This is potentially a really dumb question but oh well.

How do the auto-high beams on my Mustang (2017) work? The user manual is pretty vague.

Here's how I would expect them to work: High beams go on, there's a forward-facing sensor to detect either an oncoming car or a car in front of you, and it drops the lights back to low beams, and then turns the brights back on when the car's gone.

However, I never see the lights switch back and forth between low and high. I put the high beams on, and it sure looks to me like they just stay on, no matter what's in front of me. However a second time, if I have them on, nobody ever flashes theirs at me to say "Hey, jerkass, your brights are on." Is this some technical wizardry where the lights somehow dim directionally or something like that?

I don't want to be that jerkass driving around with high brights on, so I've taken to just switching them off manually just as if the car didn't have that feature. But I'd like to know what's going on.

I know that some luxury cars had the high beams divided into 'cells' that could independently turn on and off and didn't cross bleed into neighboring cells. The car would see oncoming headlights and would turn off or dim whatever 'cell' they were in. No clue if that's what the mustang has though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

You just have to wait and not buy the first year as they only build the price gougey ones and no incentives.

I was able to get mine for a couple thousand below invoice, and they have $1500 in incentives right now. Ain't nobody buying Mustangs in January in the northeast.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
So these may be dumb question but I’m thinking of trading in my WRX for a 2018 GT. Probably not very soon as I’m in research mode, but I think the GT might be it. Never owned a V8, much less a Ford. I’m just kind of itching for something that’s not a finicky turbo

- How much of a difference does the performance pack add in the real world? I’ve also read that there’s a level 2 that’s out for 2018 but Fords build website doesn’t seem to have it. It seems legit, but not sure

- Are there any common issues on GTs? IE: head gskets, etc.

- This is a mid cycle refresh - does it make more sense to wait until the next gen to pull the trigger?

- The prices seem pretty high to me, how much wiggle room do Ford dealers typically give?

- This will end up being my daily and I live in the midwest. I’m not scared to drive it in the snow, but want a sanity check on that. Most likely would get the same set of Blizzak WS80s that’s on the WRX

- The MagneRide system seems really impressive from a technical point of view, but how effective is it? Is it recommended to upgrade to?

I’m cross shopping with the Camaro SS 1LE as well but honestly, the GT just looks so much loving cooler. Plus, visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

dk2m posted:

- Are there any common issues on GTs? IE: head gskets, etc.

- This is a mid cycle refresh - does it make more sense to wait until the next gen to pull the trigger?

I'll just respond to these two as I don't have a current-gen Mustang, but I've been lurking on S550 boards forever in anticipation of getting an '18 or '19. (I currently have a 2011 GT.)

As to common issues, the most common major complaint on the '15-17 models that I've seen has been the air conditioning system, in particular early failure of the evaporator and/or compressor. Other issues range from mysterious driveline vibrations, glitchy power mirrors, various "funny noise" complaints, and paint/fit/finish issues.

As to the next generation that was expected in 2020 or 2021, there were recent rumors that Ford execs shitcanned it. So right now I think the timing and content of the next gen model are pretty uncertain.