Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Which is weird and funny cause Chris Roberts' 8 hour letter to The Escapist claimed that the writer of the article was a Gamer Gate hack out to destroy him. It's like hey dude check your wingmen you're in the wrong formation here.

Does anyone have a link to an archived version of that letter? I want to read it again in the light of recent events

Edit: god drat it, someone spot my tax? I'm on my phone

Mangoose fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Duckaerobics posted:

They only talk about the case for a minute, but they guy says that the changes to crytek's filing (the intentionally's) said to him that whatever they found in the waiver made ortwin look really bad.

Yeah, I listened to it when it first aired, and that's what I heard too. Which is why I am a bit confused by what bovis said as I thought there was something else that I missed, and which could have construed that those guys knew something that we don't - beforehand; something I find to be extremely unlikely.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Guys halp. I made my shitizen coworker feel bad and now hes ignoring me.

"They are doing things that have never been tried !"

Me "Derek Smart did it all over a decade ago."

Him "gently caress Derekt Shart."

Do any of you loving realize how god awful cringey it is to here DEREKT SHART irl and unironically? Im cringing still.

Just show them The July Blog. It tends to fix everything. :grin:

----------------

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mangoose posted:

Does anyone have a link to an archived version of that letter? I want to read it again in the light of recent events

https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?55059-Chairman-s-Response-to-The-Escapist

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

iospace posted:

Ah, ok. I knew the termination agreement was discussed prior, guess I was wrong on the specifics.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that, whether or not they switched, Crytek has them over the proverbial barrel because there is NO loving WAY they get around that termination clause. Not even with magic.

----------------

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
To Derek (and other gamedev goons): I'm curious about the potential downstream ramifications of the collapse here. I don't mean on crowdfunded games. But rather on the industry as a whole.

If CIG/RSI/F42/etc are grabbing up most anyone who will work for them - plausibly a lot of recent grads and new faces to the industry. When this all goes belly-up, will years with them be a black mark(or at least a warning flag) on an engineer's credentials, or is there the downstream possibility that the games industry across the world is suddenly 'flooded' with people who are going to take their Stockholm Syndrome practices and experiences to the far corners of the industry, having subtle knock-on effects for years to come?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

D_Smart posted:

Not even with magic.

That's what this dinner at CIG is about. The Attendees are going to be sacrificed because Ortwin needs the blood of virgins to work his dark spells.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

That's what this dinner at CIG is about. The Attendees are going to be sacrificed because Ortwin needs the blood of virgins to work his dark spells.

My only regret is that I have but one set of organs for Chris to eat raw over a severed goat's head.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

No, you're confused over the concept of a private server vs a private instance. Private instance is a playground that Star Citizen operates, the private server is a shitizen setting up a 'no girls aloud' [sic] universe. This was a selling point to the people that want to be king of their own domain.

This is same misconception that No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous ran into and suffered mild PR hits from in terms of the mismatch between dreams and reality.

http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=47&qid=10

It's one of the more rapidly eroding promises from the original concept that they'd build this with a framework that was less tied to a company that provides commodity database, networking and instancing.

For extra lols;
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/128673/#Comment_128673

None of that has anything to do with their ability to do it in Lumberyard.

You said:

quote:

Private servers were a stretch goal. They can't do private servers with Lumberyard.

So I assumed you were talking from a license standpoint, from which they can as there are no such restrictions in the LY license.

From a tech standpoint, they totally can too because LY has something called Gamelift which is designed to do just that. It's just going to be hilarious to see how they retrofit the PU so that a local client can actually power it, as opposed to their x.large* AWS instances. But all the other modules such as Star Marine, Arena Commander etc, can all be refactored to work as Gamelift sessions.

* which are poo poo anyway, compared to bare-metal local server that Spergs will have no problems putting together or buying if means they can have their own servers

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 22, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cuntpunch posted:

To Derek (and other gamedev goons): I'm curious about the potential downstream ramifications of the collapse here. I don't mean on crowdfunded games. But rather on the industry as a whole.

If CIG/RSI/F42/etc are grabbing up most anyone who will work for them - plausibly a lot of recent grads and new faces to the industry. When this all goes belly-up, will years with them be a black mark(or at least a warning flag) on an engineer's credentials, or is there the downstream possibility that the games industry across the world is suddenly 'flooded' with people who are going to take their Stockholm Syndrome practices and experiences to the far corners of the industry, having subtle knock-on effects for years to come?

Everyone who knows who Chris is knows he's the reason his projects are poo poo, so if you walk in with this on your CV you'll be more likely met with a sympathetic smile and an offer of coffee and hugs

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Cuntpunch posted:

It won't be that simple - the effects will take years as you describe, but there will be so many ripples it won't even be worth filtering them all out.

As far as black marks, that will be up to each studio. Some will think hiring non-developers from a scam project is too much of a risk. Don't underestimate one critical thing here - the entire industry proper knows what Star Citizen is, and who Chris Roberts is. The backers like to paint this as "CR vs Pubs" but it's just really "inept dude can't take a hint."

Other studios might go ahead and pick up an ex-CIG employee - that could go in any direction. You could get great talent who now see how much greener the grass is and are better workers for it, or you could get a "do you know who I worked with" Stockholm-syndrome Great Man Myth motherfucker who constantly talks up CR's nonexistent talents, implying he took a step down to work at this new studio. Those people won't last, and they'll make it harder for the first type to catch a break.

In the end, all the shitheels involved in CIG were already alive, and already possessed the cognitive defects that led them to where they are. In the long-long-long run, none of this will matter re: hiring practices. Where it will hurt for a while is, until the public learns to spot a bullshitter and stop giving them unchecked power in the hopes for a miracle, there's always a new Chris Roberts around the corner.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cuntpunch posted:

I doubt it will have a huge effect on the industry (as far as quality of game development, obviously it will have huge impacts on funding). I imagine people who have CIG on their resume will just get a little some extra scrutiny when they try to move on, and anyone with bad practices will get passed on. I'd guess the biggest effect would be ruining a bunch of young people's career's because they aren't worth the risk.

edit: clarification

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

Edit: god drat it, someone spot my tax? I'm on my phone

Here you go, friend:
http://i.imgur.com/KWvtdg0.gifv

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Yeah, croberts and his gang have been involved in enough failed projects that it's expected now when this poo poo-show finally collapses.

Speaking of which, after I tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/953773216878747649

This popped up on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7r4led/chris_roberts_started_on_star_citizen_as_far_back/dsz3g86/

quote:

Dear OldSchoolCmdr,

This matter is a little more complex than what it appears because Derek Smart has missed two more businesses in which Chris Roberts was the director of with regards to this story. Both were based in the Republic of Ireland.

Bl!nk Media International Limited Registered office: 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay Dublin 2 Ireland Principle activity: Management Activities of Holding Companies Incorporated 17 December, 2009 Dissolved 18 January, 2013 https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Blnk-Media-International-Limited-478972#report-2
Directors https://companycheck.co.uk/company/ie478972/BLNK-MEDIA-INTERNATIONAL-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Bl!nk Media Ireland Limited Registered office: 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay Dublin 2 Ireland Primary activity: Other Computer Related Activities Incorporated 17 December, 2009 Dissolved 20 January, 2012 https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Blnk-Media-Ireland-Limited-478973 Directors https://companycheck.co.uk/company/ie478973/BLNK-MEDIA-IRELAND-LIMITED/companies-house-data

I hope this might help answer your question. Do of course note the dates when these companies were formed and dissolved and then compare them with particular dates offered on the full GLA that also includes the GLA Autodesk (Exhibit C, Exhibit 4, p.24). Do appreciate that if you study these carefully you will note that three dates have been offered. One for the header, and another two, one for each signatory. You can examine these for yourself on this public domain copy https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mPjfXrjAf9RUq3_5cJgd-hF-I5XoCQta

As you can see, this business relationship that Derek Smart has alluded to cannot be viewed in the past tense because these legal documents, filed in Ireland, positively demonstrate that Chris Roberts was a joint director with Bl!nk Media International Limited along with Bruce Edwin MacMillan and Frank Peter Cuneo right until 18 January, 2013. So this association cannot be denied within a court of law without facing the prospect of a potential perjury charge.

So now you know that Chris Roberts was not only working with Bruce Edwin MacMillan and Frank Peter Cuneo before Star Citizen, but also for a number of months after the GLA was signed by the Crytek director, even though he, for whatever reason, choose not to sign it. Instead Chris Roberts only signed the GLA on 11 June, 2013 (E.U. date standard), or 6 November, 2013 (U.S. date standard). Both of which would be after he was no longer the director of Bl!nk Media International Limited. The sheer time gap of either seven or twelve months in Chris Roberts signature on the GLA will be a matter for Crytek’s legal representatives to address.

Yoda

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 22, 2018

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Thank you :3:

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Thank you, too o7

Man, it's almost scary how much of the cultist rhetoric still is a straight carbon copy of entire sections in that letter

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

From a tech standpoint, they totally can too because LY has something called Gamelift which is designed to do just that. It's just going to be hilarious to see how they retrofit the PU so that a local client can actually power it, as opposed to their x.large* AWS instances. But all the other modules such as Star Marine, Arena Commander etc, can all be refactored to work as Gamelift sessions.

* which are poo poo anyway, compared to bare-metal local server that Spergs will have no problems putting together or buying if means they can have their own servers

Yes, this was the point. Previous to Lumberyard, they were producing some network code. It appears that they decided that Lumberyard presented a better alternative *for some reason* (and I'm talking solid information rather than speculation, which hopefully we'll get an answer to under oath) and might have assumed that gamelift can handle some of the heavy lifting, which is supremely odd given the stated (and money collected on), goals.

Gamelift supplies the minimum viable product to have a multiplayer game, which is around 8-16 clients connected to an instance. This is not what CiG promised, which was private game servers, full modding and a manual for how to do this. While some guy pointed out that they've gone back on this, it's one of the more substantive claims of overreach that can be made. Frontier paid a dumb price for that.

My _main_ point, before we get into the inevitable drift was that one huge thing that was part of the initial pitch is goneski. The professional mod tools have evaporated, mainly because they touch other people's property. All of that agency that people may still assume is going to happen isn't.

And while you could _theoretically_ throw in a middleware layer to have your client/host model do anything you want, we're four years into making doors work.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI&t=2115s

Probably posted before, but watch a bit to see a dig at Chris Roberts.
goddamn :lol:

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

The Marauder posted:

I think this says more about the other VR games than it does about E:D. I have nothing against it (and it actually exists) but it still seems about as deep as a puddle.

The problem right now is that there aren't a lot of VR games that are well-publicized and aren't just ports of other games. This leads into the overarching problem of visibility. Nobody's really willing to put money into selling VR. Sony's been skittish about it despite coming out with their own headseat. Valve partnered with HTC to get out the Vive but is apparently too busy developing DotA2 to work on a release title. All the big studios are focusing on mass market appeal, and that rules PC VR right out. None of the small studios producing games have the money for big ad campaigns and youtubers face challenges in 'staging' the videos properly. VR is still relatively new as well - games that are being released now likely weren't started on engines with in-built VR support, and VR best practices are still a WIP. Controls, too, are still being figured out. I was watching someone play a cartoony pit fighter game the other day, and the way you moved through the arena was by swinging your arms as if you were walking. It worked, but it was still a bit awkward.

Thanks for the excuse to :justpost: about VR.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sillybones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI&t=2115s

Probably posted before, but watch a bit to see a dig at Chris Roberts.

It wasn't posted already. Thank you.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

D_Smart posted:

In the Crytek case, it's not that they are tempting to do that, in violation of the GLA. It's that they're doing all of 2.4, when they should be doing certain (e.g. promoting) things for CryEngine. It's going to come down to the judge to determine if switching to Lumberyard, which would encompass designing, developing, creating, supporting, maintaining, promoting, licensing, is a violation of the GLA. IMO, those who think that 2.4 is just a non-compete clause, are wrong.

On one side, that 2.4 clause specifically mentions "the business of..". Does getting a license for a product implies that you're now in the business of that product ? I'd say no. If you get a license to an engine, it doesn't mean you're in the business of developping an engine.

On the other side, that 2.4 clause does not say explicitely that it's a "non-compete agreement" clause - and in most contracts I've seen, this is usually written black & white, or in the paraprah title. Here it's not..

So there are arguments for both sides IMO.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Yes, this was the point. Previous to Lumberyard, they were producing some network code. It appears that they decided that Lumberyard presented a better alternative *for some reason* (and I'm talking solid information rather than speculation, which hopefully we'll get an answer to under oath) and might have assumed that gamelift can handle some of the heavy lifting, which is supremely odd given the stated (and money collected on), goals.

Gamelift supplies the minimum viable product to have a multiplayer game, which is around 8-16 clients connected to an instance. This is not what CiG promised, which was private game servers, full modding and a manual for how to do this. While some guy pointed out that they've gone back on this, it's one of the more substantive claims of overreach that can be made. Frontier paid a dumb price for that.

My _main_ point, before we get into the inevitable drift was that one huge thing that was part of the initial pitch is goneski. The professional mod tools have evaporated, mainly because they touch other people's property. All of that agency that people may still assume is going to happen isn't.

And while you could _theoretically_ throw in a middleware layer to have your client/host model do anything you want, we're four years into making doors work.

Well they have walked back a ton of poo poo since then, and they are covered LEGALLY btw. Not a drat thing backers can do about that because development is subject to change over time. If they are pissed, then they can take legal action, or just make baseless threats on Reddit.

They walked back co-op in SQ42, and backers barely batted an eyelid. Similarly, after the disastrous SQ42 reveal, they setup a page for 250K backers to get a tee-shirt if they hit that goal. Last I checked, they barely hit 25K because most backers don't give a poo poo about crobert's wet dream.

----------------

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Virtual Captain posted:

Private servers are like the Pandora's Box of Star Citizen. Once you start looking for answers you can't go back to being a citizen.

How ironic would it be if SC didn't deliver private servers, when half the shitizens are making GBS threads on E:D for breaking their promise about private servers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nyast posted:

On one side, that 2.4 clause specifically mentions "the business of..". Does getting a license for a product implies that you're now in the business of that product ? I'd say no. If you get a license to an engine, it doesn't mean you're in the business of developping an engine.

On the other side, that 2.4 clause does not say explicitely that it's a "non-compete agreement" clause - and in most contracts I've seen, this is usually written black & white, or in the paraprah title. Here it's not..

See? This is why I posted this earlier.

quote:

As patently hilarious as it sounds, I'm calling it now because a court has ruled a case based on similar findings.

This:

"engage in the business of designing, developing..."

is DIFFERENT from this:

"engage in the business of, designing, developing..."

Read more about this here.

As it's now case law precedent, I fully expect to see this nonsense permeate cases for years to come..

----------------

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hav posted:

(and I'm talking solid information rather than speculation, which hopefully we'll get an answer to under oath)

I'm calling it now that Ortwin suspiciously avoids swearing on a bible.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

What would you swear on in space court? A Space bible? The Stimperial texts?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Pilz posted:

Space.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mangoose posted:

Thank you, too o7

Man, it's almost scary how much of the cultist rhetoric still is a straight carbon copy of entire sections in that letter

Please can one of our super-talented art goons shop Crobberts face and the "Letter To The Escapist" onto this, TIA:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

How ironic would it be if SC didn't deliver private servers, when half the shitizens are making GBS threads on E:D for breaking their promise about private servers.

While partly the thing I'm getting at, it won't even make a dent in the psyche. It's entirely an auto de fe that is self-fuelling based upon adoration of the Crobbers. It was a big deal contemporaneously with one of the shooters, because it effectively presaged the era of the loot crate that rewarded game play time and 'stickiness'. Multiplayer servers that are largely empty produce the snowball effect of nobody giving a poo poo.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Quavers posted:

Please can one of our super-talented art goons shop Crobberts face and the "Letter To The Escapist" onto this, TIA:

I'm almost positive that's been done already.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

A true star spawn would not be fazed by some mere book.

You need salt for that.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, croberts and his gang have been involved in enough failed projects that it's expected now when this poo poo-show finally collapses.

Speaking of which, after I tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/953773216878747649

This popped up on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7r4led/chris_roberts_started_on_star_citizen_as_far_back/dsz3g86/

As someone who doesn't start 6 shell companies a year, what are the implications here?

Just more failure?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

As someone who doesn't start 6 shell companies a year, what are the implications here?

Just more failure?

Yeah, just another failure we didn't know about before.

----------------

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

Nah, it was Ben

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

thatguy posted:

Did Bootcha get taken?
:ohdear:

I too am worried for Bootcha,

I think he got the SC version of "Swatted"

It's called, "Twatted" or "Cunted" or something.

Edit; gently caress this thread moves too fast.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Pilz posted:

Did somebody say space court?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pilz posted:

The most sacred text of all. The Script of SQ42.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

thatguy posted:

close..

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nyast posted:

quote:

In the Crytek case, it's not that they are tempting to do that, in violation of the GLA. It's that they're doing all of 2.4, when they should be doing certain (e.g. promoting) things for CryEngine. It's going to come down to the judge to determine if switching to Lumberyard, which would encompass designing, developing, creating, supporting, maintaining, promoting, licensing, is a violation of the GLA. IMO, those who think that 2.4 is just a non-compete clause, are wrong.

Crobberts and CIG has said many times that the engines (both CryEngine and Lumberyard) are "not designed for this type of game" and so they are "developing the engine and adding groundbreaking tech". Developing requires designing. They have to support and maintain it (and were supposed to send documented improvements/fixes back to CryTek). They certainly licensed both engines, and have definitely promoted them through separate periods.

The only word that may not apply is "creating", but even that could be argued for "64 bit precision", "physics grids", and the other bullcrap CIG spout as not being supported by default in the engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

They walked back co-op in SQ42, and backers barely batted an eyelid. Similarly, after the disastrous SQ42 reveal, they setup a page for 250K backers to get a tee-shirt if they hit that goal. Last I checked, they barely hit 25K because most backers don't give a poo poo about crobert's wet dream.

Clarification: If CIG gets 250,000 people to sign up for their new list, Chris and Sandi are offering backers in a special "in-game" t-shirt, not a real one.

When I first watched that, I came away with the same impression. "drat, that'd be pretty expensive. That doesn't sound like them at all."

Then I watched it again and realized, "Oh, it's more immersion-breaking in-game digital crap. Yeah, that sounds like them."