Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I usually couple an hour long drama with a half hour comedy so I can mix them up depending on mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing I dislike about the Netflix binge model is some people make it their job to watch a new show as fast as possible and then blurt spoilers out in front of those of us that have jobs and lives.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Though as a counterpoint, if Runaways had been released all at once, I probably would have liked it a little more. Having to wait week-to-week with (relatively little) plot momentum kinda killed it for me.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like Runaways a lot but yeah i think it would have definitely been better as a binge-able show

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I generally like to watch 2-3 episodes of a Netflix series at a time. But when you have friends with similar interests and they want to flap their jaws about the plot twist in episode 7 or 8 you have to push through and binge as much as you can.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

I think it's just a basic symptom of the binge watching era. You u sit and watch the same thing for days on end and eventually you just naturally get kind of tired of it but you keep watching through to the end. It's part of why I always binge a couple of shows (and usually shows with different tones) at the same time so I can switch back and forth when my mood changes or I've had enough of one. Plus I watch sports and news and other stuff. But I think reviewers and a lot of fans just go 100% into binging these shows when they come out and that contributes to the constant "pacing" or "it was too long" criticisms.

I feel like this has really been my issue with watching new seasons of shows on streaming lately. There's been several shows that I do like, but this year I get to about the half way point, and just forget about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I usually couple an hour long drama with a half hour comedy so I can mix them up depending on mood.

Yeah, I usually go comedy/drama light/heavy. I don't really like to binge two deep shows at once because if I get into one over the other I might lose interest in the other. But something light I can just relax with when I don't feel like fully investing in the other is perfect. Right now my "light" is Psych and it's long enough that it's taken me through a couple of "heavy"s including Punisher and Runaways and I'm picking a new one.

lelandjs posted:

Though as a counterpoint, if Runaways had been released all at once, I probably would have liked it a little more. Having to wait week-to-week with (relatively little) plot momentum kinda killed it for me.
Oh 4 out of 5 times I prefer to binge a show. I waited and binged Runaways when it was all released. I just think it's the difference of watching all the episodes in a couple of days and watching it over a week or two between other stuff. I just like to let my interest level dictate the pace.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

I generally like to watch 2-3 episodes of a Netflix series at a time. But when you have friends with similar interests and they want to flap their jaws about the plot twist in episode 7 or 8 you have to push through and binge as much as you can.

More than 2-3 episodes of anything and I'll generally find myself disengaged with it completely so I've just stopped trying to force it and take nice breaks.

Watching an entire season of something in one sitting seems so weird to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

More than 2-3 episodes of anything and I'll generally find myself disengaged with it completely so I've just stopped trying to force it and take nice breaks.

Watching an entire season of something in one sitting seems so weird to me.

When Daredevil dropped I tried so hard to power through it and it was painful to watch after a while. Now I just do 2-3 at a time of any new show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Patriot is so good I had to stop every couple episodes to let it settle in my mind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp, all interest is now gone.

quote:

Josh Friedman (“Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles,” “Emerald City”), the showrunner of the upcoming TV series adaptation of Bong Joon Ho’s 2014 film “Snowpiercer,” has parted ways with the show’s network TNT.

Friedman was an executive producer and wrote the pilot which filmmaker Scott Derrickson (“Doctor Strange”) shot last year. Ordered to series by TNT earlier this month, creative differences are being cited as the reason for his exit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, that's a real shame. I was only ever lukewarm on Snowpiercer the movie and the TSSC guy being involved was what make me care.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Well frick. I wonder what happened? Did he not want to work with Noah Wyle?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lelandjs posted:

Well frick. I wonder what happened? Did he not want to work with Noah Wyle?

Does anyone? I feel like if I was homeless and Wyle was giving away food I would probably rather starve.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm watching The Resident and someone finally didn't shock a flat lining patient. Not sure if the show has legs, I'd need to see jerk resident with the heart of gold get fleshed out a bit.

Why didn't he just take a picture during the robot surgery? Seems like that would be enough to get the old dude fired.

Not sure if I'm gonna watch all of it if that conflict drags over the whole season, despite me liking Emily VanCamp and Matt Czuchry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

When Daredevil dropped I tried so hard to power through it and it was painful to watch after a while. Now I just do 2-3 at a time of any new show.

I do that with a lot of older shows, too. Any more than that and the writing tics start to stick out too much (Royal Pains is particularly bad about this ... if you want liver failure, take a shot every time there's an exchange like "we need to get him to a hospital" / "he'll never make it in time, we've gotta do it now, get the <random medical instrument>").

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

I do that with a lot of older shows, too. Any more than that and the writing tics start to stick out too much (Royal Pains is particularly bad about this ... if you want liver failure, take a shot every time there's an exchange like "we need to get him to a hospital" / "he'll never make it in time, we've gotta do it now, get the <random medical instrument>").

I watched that week to week as it aired (for part of season 1 anyway) and trust me you notice it just as much that way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nate fisher posted:

Banshee is a great guilty pleasure entertainment that you don’t have to feel guilty about. Tons of extreme violence and nudity mixed with everything from Neo Nazis to Native Americans. The last season is a bit of a letdown but well worth watching all of it.

Someone needs to watch the best show on Amazon, Patriot or even Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
I've seen Patriot but forgot it's on Amazon, yeah it's good. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel looks ok but I doubt it features many splits or high kicks unfortunately.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm mad that Counterpart is a weekly show. God drat it I don't wanna wait until Sunday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I like my plan. I won't subscribe to Starz until Ash vs Evil Dead comes out and by that point half the episodes will be out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

I watched that week to week as it aired (for part of season 1 anyway) and trust me you notice it just as much that way.

At least after the first few episodes they dropped the gimmick of Hank narrating every single thing he was doing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yep, failed attempt at making a new series. It's bad but not so bad it's good so I can't recommend it, unless you really want some Eliza Dushku in your life. And even then ...

lol the main actor (Simon Templar?) is the tenth billed name on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2569088/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, they are obviously so very done with the Shannara Chronicles since season 2 was unceremoniously dumped on to Netflix today, only two months after the last episode aired. Season 1 took like a year to come out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Wow, they are obviously so very done with the Shannara Chronicles since season 2 was unceremoniously dumped on to Netflix today, only two months after the last episode aired. Season 1 took like a year to come out.

Yeah man, it was canceled once Spike was rebranded.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Yeah man, it was canceled once Spike was rebranded.

I knew it was cancelled, but even ended shows still usually follow a long schedule before they hit streaming (for example, still waiting for the final season of Orphan Black to hit Amazon). Based on the time gap last time, one would assume the distribution deal had a built in delay to allow for either reruns or encourage purchase.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Y’all were supposed to tell me that Dear White People is really good.

Been raving about it my man.

edit: it and Fleabag are the most underrated shows people in here don't talk about enough. Maisel was too until it got the Globe.

E:

Vegetable posted:

Is the TV show anywhere near as good as the movie

e: Referring to Dear White People

I think it's better. The characters are more fleshed in, more realistic, less like stereotypes. And it goes into some real dark deep places the movie didn't have the time to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fleabag is awesome, is that even ever coming back, I guess whatsherface was busy with Solo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

Friedman left??? gently caress that was my main reason to be excited.

But Jennifer Connelly is in it, so I'm still going to watch every episode that show gets.

e: i lied jcon is my main reason to be excited, who am i fooling

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Van Helsing is pretty good. Super bleak but still a good watch and it's way better than The Walking Dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Popelmon posted:

way better than The Walking Dead.

But what isn't?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rhyno posted:

But what isn't?

Fear the Walking Dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Fear the Walking Dead.

You got me there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think if more shows were one and done self contained episodes with ongoing plots shoved way way way in the background like God intended, no one would be complaining about pacing issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

MATT BERRY IS GOING TO BE IN FX'S ADAPTATION OF WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a really good tonal match, I like it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

MATT BERRY IS GOING TO BE IN FX'S ADAPTATION OF WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS.

Well that’s a perfect fit, so much so that I had to pause for a moment and remember if he was in the movie or not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi are both attached with Clement writing and Waititi directing the pilot at least. The other main actors are Kayvan Novak, Natasia Demetriou and Harvey Guillen.

I'm just really excited for more Matt Berry, he's one of my favorite comedic actors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I’m dead of happiness now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Netflix just DESTROYED analyst estimates on subscriber growth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-22/netflix-shatters-estimates-as-year-end-subscriptions-surge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

GreenNight posted:

Fear the Walking Dead.

S3’s showrunner actually turned that poo poo around. So of course they got rid of him.

And now they’re going to be doing a crossover and I think Gimple’s now in charge of Fear :sigh:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 22, 2018