Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Doctor Bishop posted:

The phrase isn't "imminentize the eschaton", but "immanentize the eschaton". Good job, English. You've japed me again with your stupid unstressed vowels. All things considered, I frankly prefer my original interpretation.

that's a phrase I definitely use regularly, too

edit: wow googling that just made me feel dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd never heard that phrase before today so now I feel dumber :downs:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I heard of it, but being old I assumed it was just some kind of anime thing. Useful concept though and one I'm familiar with as an atheist raised in an ostensibly Lutheran family.

I assume it's because of American politics that the phrase is around now. Something like "Make the god-fearing think the end times are near by actively creating analogues to the 'end times' of Revelations, reduce them to a state of abject bewilderment and faith that heaven will vacuum them up, get their money because a rich man cannot get to heaven any more than a camel can pass through the eye of a needle".

As political strategies go, I'm surprised it's had the legs.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

The phrase isn't "imminentize the eschaton", but "immanentize the eschaton". Good job, English. You've japed me again with your stupid unstressed vowels. All things considered, I frankly prefer my original interpretation.

I had to look up "japed" to figure out that you were not being racist.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I learned that phrase from Illuminatus. :shrug:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Crabapples are any wild apples not a specific type of small bitter apple

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Okay, basically, when I first discovered the phrase for the first time about a month ago (on these very forums, in fact), I mistook "immanent", which I had no idea was actually a separate word in its own right, for "imminent" and so assumed that "immanentize" was a nonce word that meant something along the lines of "make it so that something is about to happen in the very near or immediate future", which seemed like a perfectly sensible definition to me and so I didn't bother looking it up in a like I usually would with an odd new word. But after seeing the phrase again just today, again on Something Awful, I decided to look it up to get more context on it and what it was referencing, only to quickly realize my mistake in both reading and spelling the word. And like I said before, now that I've learned what the word and phrase actually mean, I still prefer my original "imminentize" interpretation, both because I find it much more amusing and because I think "immanent" is just an all-around terrible word.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
Hmm well in postmodern circles the word "immanent" has currency, or at least it did when I dabbled in it in uni. It's different but actually in the context pretty indistinguishable. Probably better fitting really.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Doctor Bishop posted:

Okay, basically, when I first discovered the phrase for the first time about a month ago (on these very forums, in fact), I mistook "immanent", which I had no idea was actually a separate word in its own right, for "imminent" and so assumed that "immanentize" was a nonce word that meant something along the lines of "make it so that something is about to happen in the very near or immediate future", which seemed like a perfectly sensible definition to me and so I didn't bother looking it up in a like I usually would with an odd new word. But after seeing the phrase again just today, again on Something Awful, I decided to look it up to get more context on it and what it was referencing, only to quickly realize my mistake in both reading and spelling the word. And like I said before, now that I've learned what the word and phrase actually mean, I still prefer my original "imminentize" interpretation, both because I find it much more amusing and because I think "immanent" is just an all-around terrible word.
I can only imagine the traction it has outside of philosophy and theology (aka nerd culture via Principia Discordia) is due to the pun-like difference between imminent-ize and immanentize

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is it referring to things like when conservatives lunatics try to encourage Israel in the I-P conflict because they think it will bring about the rapture if all the Jews get their land back.?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yes!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it referring to things like when conservatives lunatics try to encourage Israel in the I-P conflict because they think it will bring about the rapture if all the Jews get their land back.?
That's the intersection of imminent-ize and immanentize. A very literal interpretation of make the eschaton real. But eschaton can more generally mean life beyond the current reality so its also a phrase meant to provoke discussions like what would the Millennium of Christ look like, and why can't we just do that now without him?

e. In its broadest interpretation it just means 'make the unreal real' but immanent and eschaton have a lot of theological connotations.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jan 20, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

packetmantis posted:

I learned that phrase from Illuminatus. :shrug:

Same but actually from the picture with the girl.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can't believe I just figured out the word nonce has meaning outside the Roman Catholic Church, Republican senators, and British male celebrities.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

zedprime posted:

That's the intersection of imminent-ize and immanentize. A very literal interpretation of make the eschaton real. But eschaton can more generally mean life beyond the current reality so its also a phrase meant to provoke discussions like what would the Millennium of Christ look like, and why can't we just do that now without him?

e. In its broadest interpretation it just means 'make the unreal real' but immanent and eschaton have a lot of theological connotations.

So to immanentize basically means "it wasn't, but we made it so", so anytime someone builds something based off of their imagination/blueprint it would count, "like Donald Trump through funding it, immanentized Trump Tower"?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BioEnchanted posted:

So to immanentize basically means "it wasn't, but we made it so", so anytime someone builds something based off of their imagination/blueprint it would count, "like Donald Trump through funding it, immanentized Trump Tower"?
Denotatively sure, immanent can sort of just means "is a part of reality" and that sure describes Trump Tower. Connotatively its usually reserved for pervasive features of the subject so a Donald Trump example is he was elected president on the expectation of immanentizing American Exceptionalism.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Tad Naff posted:

I assume it's because of American politics that the phrase is around now. Something like "Make the god-fearing think the end times are near by actively creating analogues to the 'end times' of Revelations, reduce them to a state of abject bewilderment and faith that heaven will vacuum them up, get their money because a rich man cannot get to heaven any more than a camel can pass through the eye of a needle".

Revelation! Singular! The book of just one Revelation!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

OK fair point. Did I mention I *used* to be Lutheran. But I think you mean "The Revelation to John".

Also you are talking to a person poisoned by such works as "The Late Great Planet Earth", do not expect much.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doctor Bishop posted:

Your (ours) makes more sense tbh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BioEnchanted posted:

It involves a lake in Ingolstadt and an army of zombie nazis on the bottom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

immanentizing the eschaton is basically the same as saying "mods!" you know?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

immanentizing the eschaton is basically the same as saying "mods!" you know?

Immanentizing the eschaton knew.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerry Cotton posted:

Immanentizing the eschaton knew.

alright, semi-immanentized

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Supertramp and Pink Floyd are different bands.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

poo poo boy I am going to take you over my knee

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Krankenstyle posted:

alright, semi-immanentized

foreverial tied-up immanentized

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
In my youth, I did not understand how the world works. That there is no justice to anything, and you should not expect any. The good are not rewarded, nor the evil punished. No points are given for being better or worse than some ideal. The only thing that matters, to you, is how you think about things, and what you do based on that thought. You may get praise or appreciation, but that should be cast aside, because you are defined by inner movements. The whole universe is contained inside your brain, or the parts of it that matter anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jesus, put down the bong already.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Proteus Jones posted:

maybe you should pick up the bong already, nerd

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NO YOU poo poo THE gently caress OFF, DAD!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actually thoughts are entirely meaningless as they only exist within your head and are in practice nonexistent to everyone else.

What matters is how those thoughts are put into action and effect the world. Only then are they given any meaning and even then the motivation behind the action is largely irrelevant.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

They are meaningless to everyone, except you, the person actually having the thoughts. You have to live with them until you die, whatever they are.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

thats a perfectly valid and sober understanding of the world, sorry champ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Babby's first solipsism is not some kind of revolutionary insight, but then I guess it doesn't have to be.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

All insight has probably been had already by someone, somewhere. There's probably a book about it. That is neither here nor there. What matters is the personal application.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Hyperlynx posted:

Man, what the gently caress is this?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

doverhog posted:

In my youth, I did not understand how the world works. That there is no justice to anything, and you should not expect any. The good are not rewarded, nor the evil punished. No points are given for being better or worse than some ideal. The only thing that matters, to you, is how you think about things, and what you do based on that thought. You may get praise or appreciation, but that should be cast aside, because you are defined by inner movements. The whole universe is contained inside your brain, or the parts of it that matter anyway.

:same:

Also, it took me a few viewings of The Fifth Element to understand why Corbin said he was a "meat popsicle" when asked to freeze during that raid thing. I was like, "why is he lying? he is clearly a human being just standing still and not some sort of sentient frozen meat stick."

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

They both had singers named Roger.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Still better than the Pantera and Coldplay thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU