Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

You, sitting on a throne of severed CIG staff heads, drinking the blood of your enemies from a skull. Go full loving warlord or go home.

Along the lines of;

...But Roberts screwing a pooch. I'm counting this as taxxe, BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Along the lines of;

...But Roberts screwing a pooch. I'm counting this as taxxe, BTW.

"Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge."

Sounds about right for this project.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Todd Parpy collects belts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJcfJOj1-a8&t=73s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

You, sitting on a throne of severed CIG staff heads, drinking the blood of your enemies from a skull. Go full loving warlord or go home.

Here's Derek! Only with automatic space doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLEdpDpoTTA

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked, apparently the ability to buy ships with game credits won't make 3.1

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

"Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge."

Sounds about right for this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cuihrjLNAo

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

AP posted:

Here's Derek! Only with automatic space doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLEdpDpoTTA

Paging Dr Galorox, Dr Galorox your needed in the emergency photoshop room

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I am aware that it's an in-game item. I should have clarified that.

I just didn’t want anyone else here reading that and thinking CIG was spending seven figures on a backer-centric reward because :lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I'm shocked, apparently the ability to buy ships with game credits won't make 3.1

Could you lead into momentous news like that with a warning? Some of require a sit down to deal with the real groundshakers in life, and I don't think I was adequately prepared.

I'm literally verklempt.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

SPOILER THAT SURPRISING NEWS: And don't get your hopes up for 3.2 either. There's absolutely no rush on that particular feature. No rush at all.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Thoatse posted:

Paging Dr Galorox, Dr Galorox your needed in the emergency photoshop room
Also already been done.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3xXlXSOKk

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

People are complaining that mining wont be in 3.1 when it's been around since 2012.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

People are complaining that mining wont be in 3.1 when it's been around since 2012.

You're thinking of whaling not mining.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

THE OLD WAY CIG LET BACKERS DOWN: Give dates, profit, miss dates, :lol:

THE NEW WAY CIG LETS BACKERS DOWN: Give features, profit, miss features, :lol:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When has always been a naughty word at CIG.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

This is an act of contrition on the part of CIG. Many of the non-completionist spergs will die from dehydration and/or drown in a stagnant pond of their own liquid poo poo due to 24-hr nonstop running missions which you can't complete (and grant you a pittance of aUEC if you do) trying to grind out their "fleet" of "space ships" for this "game."

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Is Montoya really this thick?

https://youtu.be/vhJFW3p5yjQ

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

When has always been a naughty word at CIG.

When referring to honoring promises to backers or legal binding contracts for that matter

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AP posted:

G0RF posted:

SPOILER THAT SURPRISING NEWS: And don't get your hopes up for 3.2 either. There's absolutely no rush on that particular feature. No rush at all.

Well yeah. Why rush getting stuff with in-game cash when you can already get it with real-life cash. Are so kind of antidevelopmentarianist or something?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

http://www.natefernald.com/weekmusic/volume1/

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: YouTuber Law - “Star Citizen Update 3.0: Crytek Responds. Is Squadron 42 a Feature or Related Video Game”

I am still listening to “Calling All Devs” and I don’t know yet what his take is... but since he has 40 upvotes and no downvotes, I’m thinking Cry-Rekt!

Tippis posted:

Well yeah. Why rush getting stuff with in-game cash when you can already get it with real-life cash. Are so kind of antidevelopmentarianist or something?

Exactly. Plus buying with cash supports Chris, while buying ships with aUEC actually hurts Chris by increasing costs without compensating him. Only trolls and shills for AAA Gaming would ever want to see that happen.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 22, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G0RF posted:

I just didn’t want anyone else here reading that and thinking CIG was spending seven figures on a backer-centric reward because :lol:

There is no need for excuses. There are so many things with this farce (or insert favorite phrase) and your approach it really is quite sublime.

But at the end of the day there are so many things wrong with this project it is hard to wrap it up in some quantitative manner. Everyone has their varied interest and opinions.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: YouTuber Law - “Star Citizen Update 3.0: Crytek Responds. Is Squadron 42 a Feature or Related Video Game”

I am still listening to “Calling All Devs” and I don’t know yet what his take is... but since he has 40 upvotes and no downvotes, I’m thinking Cry-Rekt!

I don't understand how this is even a point of argument. The agreement specifically calls out nothing sold standalone counts. S24 is sold stand alone. qed.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

MedicineHut posted:

thatguy posted:

"WHERE'S YOUR LAW DEGREE DEREK? HUH? I DON'T SEE IT! HUH? WHERE'S IT AT? WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT? HUH? HUH?" I post in the comments before realizing I'm watching a BoredGamerUK Montoya video.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So CIG made all these other company's just to hide the money in case they were sued?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

I skipped to the end, assuming the Cry-Rekt! Narrative would persist. And unsurprisingly, ”Crytek is grabbing at straws.”

I knew it was all frivolous but it feels good hearing that confirmed by the Test Squadron guy because Test Squadron is Best Squadron. (Until Squadron 42 releases, anyway...)

SoftNum posted:

I don't understand how this is even a point of argument. The agreement specifically calls out nothing sold standalone counts. S24 is sold stand alone. qed.

Are you familiar with the “If no Quid Pro Quo, case dismissed” Rule?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 22, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm not watching that poo poo at all but I assume the crux of the argument is "nobody is going to want to do business with someone who tries to uphold their licencing agreements"

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sickening posted:

So CIG made all these other company's just to hide the money in case they were sued?

I think it's just something Ortwin does by habit.

Some people day drink, Ortwin makes shell corporations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I skipped through it. He doesn't even think the GLA was a sensitive document, even though it laid out how much CIG paid for the license and it had a NDA.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Loxbourne posted:

It's time for another effortpost! Loxbourne's Fireside Chats? Regardless, I've talked about the "Tenets of the Faithful" and I think we've gathered enough data by now to actually map those tenets out. I'm not suggesting a backer actually prays to these like genuine catechisms, but these are the fundamental beliefs of a heavily invested backer who we'd consider a "cultist". They're the scaffolding holding up the Dreams, and the Citizens' self-identities along with them. If you contradict one, by accident or design, the Citizen WILL respond and you will have an internet fight on your hands.

So then, The Tenets of the Cult of Christ Roberts and the Church of Latter-Day Star Citizens. The words carved on the golden pages of the Great Book of Dreams, whispered by everyone from Ben Lesnick on down:

Star Citizen is the BEST GAME EVER

Self-explanatory but also the tenet that needs the most proselytising and defending. Star Citizen is THE BEST and so it automatically gets associated in their minds with all the other BEST THINGS EVER (the theorycrafting, the dreams of massive battles, the org politics which every citizen expects to win, and so forth). A whole pile of weird citizen behaviour stems from the need to keep Star Citizen's reputation pristine - and in reality, to keep it on the pedestal in their minds. Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.

Enter the conspiracy theories about Big Publishing Sabotage, the furious projection of SC's problems onto other games, and so on. P2W? Delays? Boring missions? Even being in alpha for an alarmingly long time. You can tell exactly what the backers are worried about in Star Citizen at any given moment by reading what they're accusing Elite Dangerous and Line of Defence of doing.

Star Citizen backers are an elite who have recognised an Important Project and invested in it.

Important for tribalism and also for a sense of self-importance. Citizens are big important people. They're saving PC gaming, you know. That's why we see weird misuse of financial terminology (pledges are an "investment") that can even be contradicted in the same post ("CIG owes you NOTHING"). Needless to say, the "invester" stuff gets cited when a Citizen wants to feel powerful and the Might of CIG (ironclad TOS, "refunds are scams", etc) gets invoked when a Citizen feels another citizen is getting uppity.

Chris Roberts is a genius who surrounds himself with other geniuses. He and his circle must not be judged by the standards of ordinary mortals.

The cult of personality. You gotta have faith in the man himself. Cultists can see Star Citizen is a vastly ambitious game that would normally be impossible to make, they just tell themselves Chris can make it because he's a genius. A hero from their childhood. Losing faith in Chris's ability to make the game, or his benevolent attitude towards his followers, is repeatedly described on the refunds subreddit as the moment people decided to pull out.

This is the tenet that supports and partially fuels the LARP-like behaviour from CIG (of course Chris's ego supplies the rest). Chris and CIG's uncontested genius is essential to silencing any doubts that might form. CIG has the best people working round the clock on Star Citizen! Networking guy is a "networking God", Sandi is "the best marketer ever", and so forth. Any of their employees must be the Best Guys Ever At X. And it's entirely acceptable to spend huge sums of money to buy top talent, who are instantly promoted to being top talent just because they work at CIG.

A CIG staffer who doesn't act like Top Talent rankles with the faithful. This is why you'll sometimes see cultists furiously decry a leaver or even an indiscreet current employee as only a minor flunky. He's not acting right to fit the vision in their heads of CIG's Mighty Beings. Chris's and even Sandi's behaviour is acceptable to the cult because that's just how their idea of a rockstar game coder acts. It's what they'd do if they were him.

I will get to fly my spaceship and it will be glorious and awesome and just like my dreams.

"DON'T TOUCH THE SPACESHIPS". Self-explanatory and also ineeringly precise. The cultist's specific dreams are the ones that Star Citizen will conform with. How long do you think B'Tak would last even in the game most of his fellow backers want to play? A citizen knows their ships will be amazing and totally worth the "investment" and let them live out whatever space dreams they've brought to the table from their own lives, without interruption from awkward deaths or risk of running out of content. A Cultist will never be bad at his chosen profession especially if that profession is "space badass". That's what the faithless masses are for.

As pointed out already, CIG messes with this at their extreme peril. The Grey Market can be accepted under this tenet because "a ship is worth the investment", but if CIG suggest a ship might not be as good as the citizens thought? FIRE AND WOE.

The masses will admire the ships I pledged to back. They will wish they had one and weep tears of longing.

The Citizens must have better ships than everyone else. They paid, dammit (in money, time, and faith), they suffered the jeers and mockeries of the knowlessmen. The Cult's promised heaven is a place where a Citizen can gun down latecomers and have them gasp in awe at his amaaaazing ships that he was granted as just recompense for his faith in the project. It's his rightful reward.

Of course as discussed earlier, this demands the presence of huge numbers of second-class citizens who have to do the gasping and the weeping, condemned never to be as awesome as a proper Citizen. While they're at it, they need to walk around the space stations, make ineffectual pirate attacks, and never ever run in the corridors y'hear?

My dreams are important to CIG.

The theorycraft fuel. CIG is the best company and Star Citizen is the best game and it's going to be every good thing I ever dreamed of. The means by which CIG will design, implement, or even know of the Citizen's dreams are just a sacred mystery of the Cult.

Backers will hiss and snarl at CIG if this tenet is threatened, even though this seems contradictory to other tenets. If this comes under pressure, from CIG nailing down a mechanic or an ill-judged remark on a livestream, the cult get very angry and this morphs into a more threatening form: My dreams are shared by a silent majority who agree with me. CIG would be stupid to go against me and the secret army of backers who agree with me.

This creates one of the sadder cult beliefs - that CIG read the forums and monitor it for good ideas, so their theorycrafting will be recognised and put into the game. If one of the CIG leads said he never read Spectrum, there'd be an explosion within hours.

CIG will reward me for the faith I have shown. I rise in CIG's esteem by performing acts of faith.

This, this this this, is where a fundamental disconnect exists between CIG and its cult, and if the cult ever do rise up it will probably be because of a fracture that starts here. I could have phrased this as "CIG will reward me for buying more ships", but that's not actually how the fandom tell themselves the system works. Citizens believe they will catch CIG's eye and be rewarded for preaching, bringing in new backers (okay that worked for a while), posting praise on the subreddits, shouting down unbelievers, and owning goons/refunders/Derek with sick burns.

Except...you don't rise in the fandom by showing faith. Maybe you did once - citizens can remember the days of beer shipments and gift crates and shoutouts on Around The Verse. But that doesn't work anymore. CIG just expect you to turn up to be milked and get very indignant when you don't. You gain CIG's attention by Buying More Ships. CIG are veeeeery careful to cloak Buying More Ships as having faith in Star Citizen. They call it pledging, they constantly thank backers for their support, they dole out rewards like PTU access. Backers see streamers who stream because they're paid by CIG marketing, but they're told that the streamers do it out of sheer love of the game. But the fundamental thing that gets a cultist that sweet, sweet attention from the Divine is to buy the current ship on sale. New cash only please, no melting.

CIG can only push this so far. Backers are possessive and resent any suggestion that others might be rewarded if they haven't shown sufficient faith (and every backer is sure they've shown more faith then their neighbours). The anger around the Evocati centres on the way CIG created an inner circle whose members weren't considered worthy amongst the wider community. Worse, Evocati members describe a broken game even if they do so in effusive tones. They should be singing hymns of divine ecstacy.

===

I won't claim this maps out all the tenets. There's one or two around Derek I want to explore in a later post (particularly the idea that the Cult has an ideal of Derek and actually likes it when he acts in certain ways). And most of this stuff is an unspoken understanding between backers rather than things they discuss in public. I've mapped these out largely by taking note of what makes Citizens rage the hardest.

But if you're wondering why an innocuous comment about network performance has produced an absurdly disproportionate response from the Backer Hordes...well, he contradicted one of the unspoken truths of the Faith. That must be shouted down, must must must, before it echoes for too long in a Citizen's mind and he starts to ask himself forbidden questions.

:five:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

THE OLD WAY CIG LET BACKERS DOWN: Give dates, profit, miss dates, :lol:

THE NEW WAY CIG LETS BACKERS DOWN: Give features, profit, miss features, :lol:

THE FUTURE WAY CIG LETS BACKERS DOWN: Sell company shares, profit, lose company, :lol:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/t7yupPV.gifv

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

grimcreaper posted:

Do any of you loving realize how god awful cringey it is to here DEREKT SHART irl and unironically? Im cringing still.

I say “Microdollarsignoft” in real life all the time. What’s so weird about that?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

tuo posted:

The sad thing about Mikku is how he has to show the whole internet how much money he has/spents. I mean, he constantly posts about how much he just spent on some virtual poo poo (or sometimes overpriced real stuff, that's overpriced because it has the name of a game on it).

Imo, he should buy a loving rad car....then people outside of the internet would make fun of him for driving an overpriced rad car, but at least he'd be driving a rad car!

That's my advice for these situations, at least....

e: also, I see the irony in me posting about putting 5k into a simpit and then ranting about telling the internet about how much you spend on poo poo, so no need for the catte

Quoting this from the past. Spending money on rad cars and bikes is cool and good. Possibly the second best thing after getting tools to fix rad cars and bikes yourself. Praise to the machine God.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Using predictive text

Star citizen and I will be there in ten minutes

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Travel is the best use of money.

Right behind anime dolls and spaceship JPEGs

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Raskolnikov posted:

Using predictive text

Star citizen and I will be there in ten minutes

Star Citizen is good for Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 will be out of the country for a while and the rest will be in the afternoon for the rest of the week and will be a trainwreck of the season for the next few days.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Derek Smart talk to you soon and have a great day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:kimchi: