Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

dont worry, I'll bring my camera and tape em for ya

No thanks.

I see why it was such a huge deal when Criterion's original Brakhage DVD came out since people had only seen his films either on film or on tape. I can't imagine VHS doing any sort of justice to the multi-layered, grainy, often cryptic images. Having owned both the DVD and Blu-ray of volume one, the higher resolution on the hand-painted films is a revelation. I can see why he always worked with film because video would have been absolutely restricting to his handmade style.

I'm really hoping Criterion has more avant-garde/experimental stuff in the works. I'm actually thinking of picking up the Hollis Frampton set. Money would shoot out of my wallet at warp speed towards Criterion's HQ if they ever do a Norman McLaren or Len Lye collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Looks like Janus have a new restoration of Salesman, so I assume it'd be making its way to Criterion?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Looks like Janus have a new restoration of Salesman, so I assume it'd be making its way to Criterion?

They usually follow up new restorations getting a theatrical release with a physical release half a year later. Night of the Living Dead was touring in October, while the Blu-ray is coming out in February.

We should be getting April announcements tomorrow or Tuesday.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
where! is! tales! of! hoffmann!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Stuck in commodity hell with Lionsgate since they have an exclusive on the StudioCanal library. Most of the now-OOP Criterion titles are available in the UK, though, since Lionsgate only has US home video rights.

I've been meaning to get the Bunuel set from the UK since it has all of his films from The Milky Way through That Obscure Object of Desire.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Egbert Souse posted:

They usually follow up new restorations getting a theatrical release with a physical release half a year later. Night of the Living Dead was touring in October, while the Blu-ray is coming out in February.

We should be getting April announcements tomorrow or Tuesday.

It will be Tuesday since tomorrow is mlk day

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

ive never seen it, how does it compare to The Magic Flute?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

ive never seen it, how does it compare to The Magic Flute?

It's a pretty apples and oranges comparison. I prefer Tales of Hoffmann as an opera, but I really like Bergman's idea of capturing and expanding on an amiable, old-fashioned production of the exact type that probably absolutely wooed him as a kid (see also Fanny & Alexander), which means you get the unglamorous but winning charm of hearing the fabrics rustle during scene changes, and you catch glimpses of the backstage goings ons. In an interview, Bergman talked about the "agreement" between the audience and the stage, and his film of Magic Flute lands directly on that and successfully duplicates the eager beauty of the love affair between performer and viewer.

On the other hand, Tales of Hoffmann unflinchingly presents the wild flights of intoxicating fantasy that opera is capable of - where Magic Flute recreates the sense of playing along with the cast and theater to create a small, warm, whimsical world of pure, fragile emotion, Hoffmann ludicrously amplifies the feeling a grand opera gives you, which is akin to being fired into the sun from a velvet fainting couch. It's like a dizzy cocaine bender, and it absolutely matches the heightened, dripping-rich score, which is flush with intoxicating waltzes and overheated magic. They're very different movies and I love them both.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I only saw Hoffmann once years ago and while I thought the cinematography was amazing, it left me cold. It's sort of like how the ballet sequence in The Red Shoes is amazing, but any longer than 15 minutes would have been overkill.

I'll probably change my mind when I finally get to see the restoration, though.

For what it's worth, I think every other P&P film I've seen is a masterpiece - Colonel Blimp, A Canterbury Tale, A Matter of Life and Death, I Know Where I'm Going, Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, and The Small Back Room (plus Powell's Peeping Tom) - so, I probably just need a rewatch. It was at least ten years ago since I owned the Criterion DVD back when I grabbed a stack of Criterions for cheap from a Media Play going out of business.

At least we're certain to get A Matter of Life and Death from Criterion soon with the new Sony 4K restoration.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It also depends on whether or not you enjoy opera, an art form most people seem to despise.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I was lucky enough to see the restoration when it was traveling and it's really remarkable - the colors are eye-popping and the set design is incredibly lush. My only complaint is that I had a hard time understanding some of the lyrics and wish there were subtitles.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It also depends on whether or not you enjoy opera, an art form most people seem to despise.

seeing as i enjoy going to the opera i will probably enjoy it, I'll def check it out.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I've only seen Tales of Hoffmann on Filmstruck, and the transfer seemed pretty terrible. I found myself liking it a lot less than I expected to as a result, though I'm sure my opinion would be different if I saw the restoration. I also am a decently big fan of opera and I think they tend to suffer in translation; listen to a recording of Olympia's song in French and compare it to the one in ToH, there's really no contest as to which flows better, sounds more natural (I too had to resort to putting on the subtitles).

On the other hand this movie gives us another opportunity to watch Moira Shearer dance in a P&P film so who can really complain

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

April releases are posted!

Can't wait to finally see The Colour of Pomegranates, along with The Virgin Suicides, Leo McCarey's The Awful Truth, Jarmusch's Dead Man, and more Bergman in the Eclipse series!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ingrid Bergman.

Took me a minute to realize which Bergman.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cloks posted:

Ingrid Bergman.

Took me a minute to realize which Bergman.

I was wondering why the set of Bergman's Swedish films didn't include, like, all of his movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This is me trying to decide whether to get the Second Sight or Criterion edition of The Color of Pomegranates:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FilmStruck/status/954511387585228800

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
*slams knife and fork on table* give us a blu-ray box set right the gently caress now

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I went to go and see if they had an app for XBox One (or PS4) yet when I saw this. Still none, and so still not subscribing. Some day I will get Filmstruck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

I went to go and see if they had an app for XBox One (or PS4) yet when I saw this. Still none, and so still not subscribing. Some day I will get Filmstruck.

It's loving bullshit. Very little attempt to keep people updated on the status of it as well. Really soured me on the whole service.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RichterIX posted:

*slams knife and fork on table* give us a blu-ray box set right the gently caress now

This might be the first time I buy something on the day of release instead of waiting for a sale

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'd rather spend $1000 and wait like 1 month instead of $2000 , thanks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think you added an extra zero to those figures. Even the Zatoichi box set I bought didn't cost that much.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Basebf555 posted:

It's loving bullshit. Very little attempt to keep people updated on the status of it as well. Really soured me on the whole service.

Which sucks because it loving owns if you do have access to it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think you added an extra zero to those figures. Even the Zatoichi box set I bought didn't cost that much.

I know, I was exaggerating, but still.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sleep deprived today so my sarcasm sensors aren't working.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd just get an Apple TV 4th gen for Filmstruck.

I see units for low as $100 on eBay if you don't care about 4K HDR or the remote (I use my phone).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd just get an Apple TV 4th gen for Filmstruck.

I see units for low as $100 on eBay if you don't care about 4K HDR or the remote (I use my phone).

I’ve been tempted to do the same, because I’m getting pretty sick of waiting for a PS4 app. It’s totally ridiculous that support for either system hasn’t been rolled out yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

I’ve been tempted to do the same, because I’m getting pretty sick of waiting for a PS4 app. It’s totally ridiculous that support for either system hasn’t been rolled out yet.

To be perfectly fair, there's probably not enough crossover between people who want Filmstruck and have a PS4/Wii U/Switch/XBox X/etc

The two groups converge on me because I'm probably the only one who will play GTAV, then go right into a Kieslowski movie.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have Filmstruck on my Roku and I have no complaints.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GonSmithe posted:

I'd rather spend $1000 and wait like 1 month instead of $2000 , thanks.

Said like a man who’s never seen the pure insanity of The Terror of Mechagodzilla :colbert:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I wish there was a Filmstruck app for Sony Bluray players.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I wish FilmStruck was in Canada

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ratedargh posted:

I wish FilmStruck was in Canada

Apparently Warner Bros is helping them move internationally so maybe soon?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

I, Butthole posted:

Apparently Warner Bros is helping them move internationally so maybe soon?

And a glorious day it shall be

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Now that I'm off mobile, here's the link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/turner-warner-bros-partner-bring-movie-streaming-service-filmstruck-intl-markets-1075852

UK first to get it, branded Filmstruck Curzon, which according to the article means that the library will include the standard Criterion library as well as the Artificial Eye library, and it will be the first market of many over a planned two year international rollout (no other countries are named yet).

E: also hell yeah less than a month until Silence of the Lambs and Night of the Living Dead.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 23, 2018

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Saw Au Hasard Balthazar at the national gallery.. It was ok, I have no real desire to see it again. All the old ladies in the theater loved it, tho.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Saw Au Hasard Balthazar at the national gallery.. It was ok, I have no real desire to see it again. All the old ladies in the theater loved it, tho.

Dullest film ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What'd they say about it?