Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

that is a lot of spreaders :staredog:

one spreader can service a shitload of flowers at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, unless that modpack really messes with mana generation/capacity, those spreaders are overkill.

I guess as you have it, you're full on mana, so all those spreaders each hold a tiny bit of capacity and not just throughput, but that's like building a million resonant fluxducts when you really just need more capacitor banks.

Edit: :itisathermalexpansionanalogy:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It has been ages since I played through Project Ozone 2. No idea if there was even a reason for that setup in the first place but at least it looked nice.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

Yeah, unless that modpack really messes with mana generation/capacity, those spreaders are overkill.

I guess as you have it, you're full on mana, so all those spreaders each hold a tiny bit of capacity and not just throughput, but that's like building a million resonant fluxducts when you really just need more capacitor banks.

Edit: :itisathermalexpansionanalogy:
You also need to be careful when you're running close to full storage because if the target pool has even a sliver below full all the spreaders pointed at it will fire, potentially wasting a lot of mana. For any spreader targets where you produce more than you use, it's good to put a comparator on it to turn off the spreader.

Old MC version, but ex:

e: And I guess that's not the best example since I'm mixing mods. You'd normally put the back of the comparator to the mana pool.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I'm not liking that skill mod. It's pretty much a "difficulty for difficulty's sake" deal.

Seems to basically mean you need to go out grinding mobs to get anywhere, because simply reaching the resources/tech level to make something won't cut it, you need the skill to place it too. I'm sure the Scaling Mob Health mod won't hinder that in any way.

Edit: or the Infernal Mobs mod.

Edit 2: poo poo's too broken to play this nonsense yet. Will wait for a release version.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 24, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FredMSloniker posted:

What's so bad about that? Just that not a lot of other mods are using that version, or...?

No terracotta. Honestly, 1.10 is a nice solid release, it's just not popular anymore and there are updated versions of the mods in Homestead with new and cool stuff, that haven't been backported to 1.10

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I thought that a basic mana spreader can only keep up with something like 8 endoflames.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought that a basic mana spreader can only keep up with something like 8 endoflames.
It depends a lot on how close the spreader is to its target, since a spreader can only have one mana blast going at a time. A spreader directly up against its target pool will do quite a few. 10-15ish IIRC, but I've not sat down and counted.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

No go for me, Doing it by hand to check and it doesnt work on the top tier ones :/ ( i will move a MM over and see if it works. I may even remove the crux/block underneath to see if that works)

EDIT"-- nope, wont be using the mechanical user on it. causes my game to crash. have to load up mcedit to remove it.

Now, im almost halfway through DE, but i see the other side is the uber crafting things.

What do i need to mass produce?

For example, it looks like i need to set up maybe another 1 or 2 top tier void miners.

Then i need banks of pulverisers to get coal. This coal then funds the creation of dark matter in multiple ways.

What else should i be setting up?

Coal can be formed from coal essence / coal seeds. You can basically make mystical agricultural crops for all the things you need to fill singularities.

As far as farms - 64x Flawless Greenhouses seem much better than the Mechanical User route. More resources to set up but once they’re full they produce a ton more. 5x import busses with max acceleration cards can’t keep up with my output chest on one 4x inferium farm.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Meskhenet posted:

No go for me, Doing it by hand to check and it doesnt work on the top tier ones :/ ( i will move a MM over and see if it works. I may even remove the crux/block underneath to see if that works)

EDIT"-- nope, wont be using the mechanical user on it. causes my game to crash. have to load up mcedit to remove it.

Now, im almost halfway through DE, but i see the other side is the uber crafting things.

What do i need to mass produce?

For example, it looks like i need to set up maybe another 1 or 2 top tier void miners.

Then i need banks of pulverisers to get coal. This coal then funds the creation of dark matter in multiple ways.

What else should i be setting up?

I tried to put crux blocks under a flawless greenhouse to make nether star seeds grow and it killed my server, I had to go in and edit out the blocks there too.
They really don't like being unnaturally sped up.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My Girlfriend's Account posted:

Coal can be formed from coal essence / coal seeds. You can basically make mystical agricultural crops for all the things you need to fill singularities.

As far as farms - 64x Flawless Greenhouses seem much better than the Mechanical User route. More resources to set up but once they’re full they produce a ton more. 5x import busses with max acceleration cards can’t keep up with my output chest on one 4x inferium farm.

So these farms have the growth accellerators under them? And work with awakened drac?

Havent looked into the singularities yet, but i assume i need a few of every material.

I will make a few of these green houses tonight and get he ball rolling.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thaumcraft 6 beta is public. And on Curseforge. And in the little pack I made with Twitch to test it right now.

Oh wow, you're organically introduced to the mod now.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 24, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of automating poo poo in Botania, I did this yesterday.

Because I am apparently a glutton for punishment, I am playing MSB2 expert mode. One of the recipe tweaks is to chests -- you also need 8 dirt in addition to 8 wood planks to make a chest. This contraption turns mana into dirt, so I never have to shovel snow or grind out plant matter for dirt ever again. The circuitry is technically unnecessary, but it shuts the whole thing off if there is no more room to store dirt or if the mana pool falls below a certain fill level. I also put the spreader on a timer, because it was wasting mana by shooting a burst after every swing of the Rod of the Lands.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

So these farms have the growth accellerators under them? And work with awakened drac?

Havent looked into the singularities yet, but i assume i need a few of every material.

I will make a few of these green houses tonight and get he ball rolling.

The only greenhouse I have set up is sans accelerators. I also haven’t tested it with the three seeds that require cruxes (nether, awakened draconian, and dragon).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Thaumcraft 6 beta is public. And on Curseforge. And in the little pack I made with Twitch to test it right now.

Oh wow, you're organically introduced to the mod now.
So what's the elevator pitch for Thaumcraft? I know everyone who ever played it loved it, but it kinda faded away before I started playing modded so I don't know what the deal is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

So what's the elevator pitch for Thaumcraft? I know everyone who ever played it loved it, but it kinda faded away before I started playing modded so I don't know what the deal is.

You know how basically every major mod nowadays has an in-game help book? Thaumcraft was the first mod to provide a real in-game manual. It's also very pretty, and involves unique gameplay mechanics. It was the first of its kind, and a lot of other mods owe it a great deal. Botania, in particular, is basically a love letter to Thaumcraft.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You know how basically every major mod nowadays has an in-game help book? Thaumcraft was the first mod to provide a real in-game manual. It's also very pretty, and involves unique gameplay mechanics. It was the first of its kind, and a lot of other mods owe it a great deal. Botania, in particular, is basically a love letter to Thaumcraft.
Oh, okay. I've been trying Wizardry but the documentation is poo poo.

Does Thaumcraft require worldgen? I'd like to try it out in my personal pack when it comes out for 1.12.2, but I really like my current islands-in-the-ocean world.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, okay. I've been trying Wizardry but the documentation is poo poo.

Does Thaumcraft require worldgen? I'd like to try it out in my personal pack when it comes out for 1.12.2, but I really like my current islands-in-the-ocean world.

It looks like it's for 1.10.2, if I'm reading it right.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It is, but on reddit people are saying that there will be a 1.12.2 version.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Botania picked up some of the concepts in TC (like the in-game help book), but took them in a drastically different direction. Botania is all about world interactions, while Thaumcraft is kind of a tech mod replacement with a bunch of other things thrown in and a completely different flavor.

Thaumcraft's claim to fame I think is the sense of progression and gating it added. At least in previous versions, you have to scan items and objects and research the things in the book to even have access to them, which is a pretty big departure from most of Minecraft as a whole. In all the rest of MC, you just have to have the materials to make something. The creation of those materials might be gated by some process or exploration, but the recipes are all still there if you somehow get access to the materials.

Granted, that research stuff also makes it suuuper tedious to use on successive playthroughs since there aren't any shortcuts short of just cheating in all the research or turning down the research difficulty. And each of those come with their own issues.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ImpactVector posted:

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Botania picked up some of the concepts in TC (like the in-game help book), but took them in a drastically different direction. Botania is all about world interactions, while Thaumcraft is kind of a tech mod replacement with a bunch of other things thrown in and a completely different flavor.

Thaumcraft's claim to fame I think is the sense of progression and gating it added. At least in previous versions, you have to scan items and objects and research the things in the book to even have access to them, which is a pretty big departure from most of Minecraft as a whole. In all the rest of MC, you just have to have the materials to make something. The creation of those materials might be gated by some process or exploration, but the recipes are all still there if you somehow get access to the materials.

Granted, that research stuff also makes it suuuper tedious to use on successive playthroughs since there aren't any shortcuts short of just cheating in all the research or turning down the research difficulty. And each of those come with their own issues.

Yeah, Botania isn't a Thaumcraft clone by any means, but you can definitely tell it exists because of Thaumcraft's contributions to the game.

And, yeah, TC4 research really blew chunks. Most people don't know that there was actually a Thaumcraft 5 for the 1.8 version of Minecraft. The research mini-game was improved considerably -- instead of having to grind out research points by scanning lots of things (or using the deconstruction table,) each theory paper came pre-loaded with a finite number of research points that you used to solve the puzzle. If you hosed up on the mini-game, you could just trash the theory paper item, make a new one, and try again.

I have no idea what TC6's research mechanic involves.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
TC6 includes the sparkle around scannable stuff from TC5, at least. As for research, I haven't gotten there yet. You're given a much more guided progression now, with a fairly HQM-like questline (You are given a task to make something, once you make it you get a 'Complete' button on the page for it to advance to the next thing).

Thaumcraft is really the premier magic mod series, so it's got that going for it. It's defined by having a unique system of doing things, a really detailed manual, and a ton of content. I'd say it pioneered both the expansive manual and also multiblock magic-doing in general, ala Roots, Astral Sorcery, Ars Magica etc.

God this manual is so much more of a guide than the TC4 one, it's great.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 24, 2018

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Imagine a magic mod that has the documentation of Botania, the visual aesthetic quality of Immersive Engineering/Astral Sorcery, the utility of Extra Utilities, and the tedium of bees.

It was very innovative for the time and clearly influenced the molding scene on what could be made.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

Imagine a magic mod that has the documentation of Botania, the visual aesthetic quality of Immersive Engineering/Astral Sorcery, the utility of Extra Utilities, and the tedium of bees.

It was very innovative for the time and clearly influenced the molding scene on what could be made.

The tedium of bees is being a little cruel - it's nowhere near the same level - even with Gendustry bees are more tedious.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

And, to be fair, the very first time you do TC4 research, it's a little fun. There's mastery involved, and whatnot. The problem became that Thaumcraft was so popular that everyone put it into their modpacks, and every new modpack meant having to start over on TC4 research. I feel like if it had been like Psi research, where you only ever have to do it once per computer, it might have been better.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay so TC6 research is you're given a set of tasks to do, and you choose one of them to advance your knowledge on a subject you're choosing to research.

My first one gives me two choices, one that'll reward me with 10 Alchemy knowledge points and a bonus task card to choose from (next time, I assume) and one that'll just reward me with 20 alchemy knowledge points.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well I guess I'll buckle -- time to find a good 1.10.2 pack that I can socket Thaumcraft 6 into.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Personally I think base TC4 has few enough nodes that you could reasonably tolerate having to do it all over again every modpack. However, you tend to see it with a ton of addons nowadays which greatly increases the amount of research points you need and the number of theories you have to complete.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Okay so TC6 research is you're given a set of tasks to do, and you choose one of them to advance your knowledge on a subject you're choosing to research.

My first one gives me two choices, one that'll reward me with 10 Alchemy knowledge points and a bonus task card to choose from (next time, I assume) and one that'll just reward me with 20 alchemy knowledge points.

I'm interested in how Vis and taint works in this one and whether he kept the Golem system of TC5.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wolpertinger posted:

The tedium of bees is being a little cruel - it's nowhere near the same level - even with Gendustry bees are more tedious.

yeah, speaking as someone who even enjoys bees, thaumcraft is nowhere near that level of dumb bullshit

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I slapped together a ramshackle 1.10 pack for Thaumcraft using the twitch spyware thing and started playing. The very start of thaumcraft is a lot different, now. It arises naturally from a typical mining trip.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

twitch spyware thing

Could we not?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm interested in how Vis and taint works in this one and whether he kept the Golem system of TC5.

Uh, well, there's vis crystals for each aspect, and the arcane workbench has slots for the six prime aspects' vis crystals, which you'll find by mining. But there's also a passive 'aura' energy filling the chunk you're in. When you craft stuff in the arcane workbench, it'll take from the aura and possibly one or more of the vis crystals. The aura is also used to recharge poo poo and all that stuff that used vis from a node in TC4.

Don't know about taint yet, but yes it's got the TC5 golem system.

Also I did a bunch more of the mod since I wrote that post and I understand it now.

So you have 'observances' and 'theories'. You get the former from scanning things (they'll fill up a bar for each of the research categories), and the latter from doing the actual research system thing. For this, you start 'researching a theory' and it'll give you a bunch of choice cards with things to do, based on what are called Inspiration points. It might be just 'receive 10 points in [research category]' or 'forget some of what you learned but regain an inspiration point' or 'craft this item to get points in [research category]' or 'consume some item to get points in [research category]'.

What this boils down to is the choices you get are kinda random but can be influenced, but with those choices you get you can choose which categories to work towards theory progress with. The point of all this is that researches will need you to have certain observances or theories to learn, and that's how you unlock nodes in the Thaumonomicon. (When I say 'certain theories' it's just like 'This research requires you to have 2 Alchemy theories' or whatever.)

Also: scanning a chest scans everything in it, fyi

Oh and if you get two choices you can't do (because it's asking you to infuse some poo poo and you don't have the infusion altar yet) you can break the research table and start over.

What I haven't figured out yet is what it means when it says to combine two aspects, or to see what happens when two aspects react.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know any compact ways to transfer some essentia over to a partitioned essentia drive? I tried putting the drive on a subnet with an essentia export bus from the parent net touching an import bus from the subnet. That doesn't do anything. I figured I could try a jar, but I suspect that jar will eventually fill up with something the subnet doesn't want to import anymore and I'll get stuck. I want to transfer a few specific types of essentia without laying out a jar and an export/import bus for each.

Black Pants posted:

What I haven't figured out yet is what it means when it says to combine two aspects, or to see what happens when two aspects react.
Alchemy?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Well yes I assume so but I haven't seen anything so far that might explain how that could work. Things didn't really.. react in previous Thaumcrafts. You could break essentia down into its components but couldn't go the other way. This is actually asking you to take two aspects and turn them into the aspect they make up, somehow.

I haven't reached figuring out the 'channel some essentia into an item and see what it does' Infusion research requirements yet either. I wish it didn't select cards you're incapable of fulfilling.

Edit: and while I've used Thaumic Energistics I never dealt with partitioning and just let essentia flood onto drives however it wanted.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

Edit: and while I've used Thaumic Energistics I never dealt with partitioning and just let essentia flood onto drives however it wanted.
The answer is apparently the ME IO Port but the trick now is getting it to distribute essentia across the partitions.

Edit: And I was thinking alchemy in the notion that you'd take two different aspects and create an item that has the combined aspect. Or something.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In non-Thaumcraft news, apparently Elucent picked up his toys and went home, making all his mods no longer available to anyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/7slwg7/thaumcraft_6_betas_are_now_public/dt6ppnf/?context=3

Edit: actually it kinda is Thaumcraft news

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 25, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can understand it sucking if people just immediately drop your work like a rock the moment the golden goose magic mod is coming back out, but punishing people in response is a pretty lovely thing to do

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

AE2 question.

So ive made a couple flawless greenhouses (64). I plan on stacking these into the sky.

How am i going to arrange the me imput buses? Dense cable is 32 channels right? so im looking at 1 me controller worth of faces? And 4-5 super long stripper poles?

Or can it be done wirelessly?

Or can i make it as a seperate network, yet somehow see it on my primary network?
(I sort of thing a seperate network is going to be cleaner)

Ultimate furnace question

How do you automate this thing? ultimate cable/servos(itemduct) only extract/input (in the wrong place) the coal no matter what face you attach them too.
A hopper underneath is retarded (as in delay or hold back in terms of progress or development) with how slow it is. It has a 200x speed with a good efficiency for fuel use and has to be hand fed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can understand it sucking if people just immediately drop your work like a rock the moment the golden goose magic mod is coming back out, but punishing people in response is a pretty lovely thing to do

The problem is nobody was dropping his work. Aside from him basically starting and dropping projects like he's on coke, and that his mods were mentioned in the parent post as good magic stuff happening on 1.12, he decided to get upset that people cared about Thaumcraft and didn't appreciate his stuff enough.

Like imagine if the Mekanism dev got all publically lovely about people being excited for Thermal Expansion getting its post 1.7 update because they were looking forward to it.

Meskhenet posted:

AE2 question.

So ive made a couple flawless greenhouses (64). I plan on stacking these into the sky.

How am i going to arrange the me imput buses? Dense cable is 32 channels right? so im looking at 1 me controller worth of faces? And 4-5 super long stripper poles?

Or can it be done wirelessly?

Or can i make it as a seperate network, yet somehow see it on my primary network?
(I sort of thing a seperate network is going to be cleaner)

Dense cable is 32 channels, but even if you do it wirelessly a Quantum networking ring thing only carries 32 channels through it max. You can have up to as many as a 7x7x7 cube's worth of controllers and their associated faces for 32 channels each though, so you are aware.

You can indeed make a subnetwork though. It'll need to have an Interface attached to a Storage Bus on the main network. A single channel for each.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 25, 2018