Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That place is okay, the pork dishes are good but the beef was not great at all when i went. As far as "best in London" goes it still wasn't close to Pitt Cue I don't think. It's odd how BBQ has become so ubiquitous yet so terrible almost everywhere.

Really enjoyed Jidori on Kingsland Road last weekend, though I was quite drunk. Great yakitori - the minced chicken and egg yolk, and chicken hearts & bacon particularly. Pretty reasonable too, £3.50-4 for two skewers with a decent amount of meat on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I had an outstanding lunch at Copita in Soho recently. My son is coeliac and we had a very good gluten free meal at Leggero. Their butternut flan was outstanding.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Had a rather lovely bowl of pho in Banh Banh in Peckham Rye last week. Not life changing or anything, but bloody tasty for £8.

Also did Cafe On in Clapham, was as good as all the reviews say. Only downside was they had “cash only” on the board, so I didn’t order too much, but then they took cards. I wish I’d ordered more :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

peanut- posted:

That place is okay, the pork dishes are good but the beef was not great at all when i went. As far as "best in London" goes it still wasn't close to Pitt Cue I don't think. It's odd how BBQ has become so ubiquitous yet so terrible almost everywhere.

I wouldn’t be surprised; lovely BBQ is everywhere. Here in DC there’s really only one good place out of dozens.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Even the big boy of bbq, Bodean’s, isn’t actually that good.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Korean BBQ recommendations?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Even the big boy of bbq, Bodean’s, isn’t actually that good.

It used to be good. It's gone way downhill.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lady Gaza posted:

Korean BBQ recommendations?

Haven't been for a while but I like Koba in Rathbone St.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

Haven't been for a while but I like Koba in Rathbone St.

Aren't you vegetarian?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

Aren't you vegetarian?

Close! Wife is so house is (apart from occasional meat for so now), so it's all I cook.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep meaning to try Superstar right by St Giles/TCR/Shaftesbury, anyone been?

I like Kalbi in Clerkenwell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Finally had breakfast at Dishoom today. Man, why have I waited so long? It was amazingly good, and the endless hot chai was delightful. 12/10 would spice again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My father in law wants to take us out for dinner. What has good food, but not too fussy, not too loud, and has good vegetarian options? He liked L'Autre Pied and we enjoyed Pollen St Social but those are too poncy for his special lady friend. Cost not an issue provided it's not crazy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

therattle posted:

My father in law wants to take us out for dinner. What has good food, but not too fussy, not too loud, and has good vegetarian options? He liked L'Autre Pied and we enjoyed Pollen St Social but those are too poncy for his special lady friend. Cost not an issue provided it's not crazy.

I like Luca, tend to go out with my inlaws there when we want good food and relative calm. (Granted whenever I'm in London I pretty much eat at dirty burger, luca, and dishoom on loop)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

I like Luca, tend to go out with my inlaws there when we want good food and relative calm. (Granted whenever I'm in London I pretty much eat at dirty burger, luca, and dishoom on loop)

Thanks, I'll look into it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Where's good for dim sum? Looking for somewhere not too expensive, preferably with soup dumplings.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

reality_groove posted:

Where's good for dim sum? Looking for somewhere not too expensive, preferably with soup dumplings.

My go to place, shown to me by my chinese friend, is Wan Chai Corner in Chinatown, on the corner of Gerrard St and Gerrard Place. Pretty sure I've had soup dumplings in there.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I liked Cafe On in Clapham and it's had a bunch of nice reviews, though not sure how recent.

Can't remember if they do soup dumplings but their menu is online.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

We ended up going to Dumpling's Legend. Good dim sum, maybe not the cheapest but very enjoyable.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I just moved to Penge. Any major recommendations for places to eat in Crystal Palace, Dulwich, Sydenham or back up along the overground in like Brockley or Peckham?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Lots of good places on the Triangle - Four Hundred Rabbits is good cheap pizza, Ponte Nuovo is decent, and there's a tiny Venezuelan place opposite Sainsbury's which is just fantastic. The White Hart does a good roast too.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 6, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Nice one, cheers. The day we looked at flats we had a great lunch at the Crystal Palace Market, although it was a touch fussy for my tastes. Our first night in the flat we got a takeaway from Himalayan Kitchen in Penge which was really excellent.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There's also an Indian takeaway at the crossroads at the top of Beulah Hill which was great but the name escapes me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ineptmule posted:

Nice one, cheers. The day we looked at flats we had a great lunch at the Crystal Palace Market, although it was a touch fussy for my tastes. Our first night in the flat we got a takeaway from Himalayan Kitchen in Penge which was really excellent.

Many years ago I worked on the cinematic masterpiece that is The Football Factory, and one line stuck in my head: the minge from Penge.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It is the least attractively named place in London as far as I’m aware.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Penge? I hear it’s very nice, but I’ve never been there myself.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well I moved here for a reason, but the name is objectively ugly-sounding.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

peanut- posted:

Really enjoyed Jidori on Kingsland Road last weekend, though I was quite drunk. Great yakitori - the minced chicken and egg yolk, and chicken hearts & bacon particularly. Pretty reasonable too, £3.50-4 for two skewers with a decent amount of meat on.

Yknow, you're absolutely right, I was getting Dukes and Pitt Cue mixed up.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Good restaurants around NW1? I'm pretty broad in tastes/styles, just generally seems a bit barren.

Re: Penge/SE - absolutely loads in Peckham that I've blathered about before. Artusi, Miss Tapas, Mr Bao, Yadas, Banh Banh, Cravings La Careta, JD's, Taco Queen, Peckham Bazaar, Oi Spaghetti, Forza Win - it's legitimately harder to find a bad meal at the moment

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I have pals and family over in Peckham so I’ll have to get myself over there soon. Thanks for the tips!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
In Peckham and Camberwell you also have Silk Road which is great Xinjiang style Chinese food, Zeret kitchen for Ethiopian, and Spike and Earl which has kitchen takeovers on a rotating basis which can be great.

One of them, a sort of pan-South American/ Asian fusion, opened a street food stall in the parking garage under Frank's as well recently.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Anae posted:

Good restaurants around NW1? I'm pretty broad in tastes/styles, just generally seems a bit barren.

Re: Penge/SE - absolutely loads in Peckham that I've blathered about before. Artusi, Miss Tapas, Mr Bao, Yadas, Banh Banh, Cravings La Careta, JD's, Taco Queen, Peckham Bazaar, Oi Spaghetti, Forza Win - it's legitimately harder to find a bad meal at the moment

ROTI KING

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Oh yeah, I meant to say apart from Roti King.

Nice relevant username btw.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I’ve just moved to Brixton - any recommendations for places to go for a nice dinner around there? Cheap to midrange, budget wise.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Owlkill posted:

I’ve just moved to Brixton - any recommendations for places to go for a nice dinner around there? Cheap to midrange, budget wise.

Naughty Piglets is my favourite. Salon in Brixton market, Llewellyn's in Herne Hill also great. Boqueria is good though I am a bit bored with it. Nanban was good.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey folks, need some help. My girlfriend is looking for a place to have her 30th. Need a cosy bar type place with good (veggie friendly although doesn’t have to be exclusively veggie) bar snacks and good drinks, but that’s quite down to earth and not too loud. She got excited by the downstairs bar at Kings Cross Dishoom but then read a review from someone who tried it for the same sort of thing and it was a big let down.

Ideally somewhere within half a mile of the section of the river between Victoria and London Bridge (so central basically.)

Things n Stuff
Jun 7, 2005
Degrassi Junkie
In your opinion, what is the best value for money weekday lunch in London? I'm taking a weekday off work in the next couple weeks and would like to treat myself to a set menu that I wouldn't usually have access to, or go find a great food stall at a market that's only open during the week. A maximum of the 30 quid mark for 2 / 3 courses would be ideal, and I'm open to any type of cuisine) except French because I'm going to Paris in April). I'm based in Balham, but happy to go wherever there's good food.

Edited: Except Dishoom. I love the place, and I'm going there twice in the next couple weeks already!

Things n Stuff fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 18, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ineptmule posted:

Hey folks, need some help. My girlfriend is looking for a place to have her 30th. Need a cosy bar type place with good (veggie friendly although doesn’t have to be exclusively veggie) bar snacks and good drinks, but that’s quite down to earth and not too loud. She got excited by the downstairs bar at Kings Cross Dishoom but then read a review from someone who tried it for the same sort of thing and it was a big let down.

Ideally somewhere within half a mile of the section of the river between Victoria and London Bridge (so central basically.)

Dishoom.

Things n Stuff posted:

In your opinion, what is the best value for money weekday lunch in London? I'm taking a weekday off work in the next couple weeks and would like to treat myself to a set menu that I wouldn't usually have access to, or go find a great food stall at a market that's only open during the week. A maximum of the 30 quid mark for 2 / 3 courses would be ideal, and I'm open to any type of cuisine) except French because I'm going to Paris in April). I'm based in Balham, but happy to go wherever there's good food.

Dishoom.

Things n Stuff
Jun 7, 2005
Degrassi Junkie

Steakandchips posted:

Dishoom.

Dishoom.

Whoops - edited my post: I'm already going to Dishoom twice in the next couple weeks. Do love the place, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Go to Leather Lane for weekday lunch, there's so many good food stalls there - falafel, jerk, salt beef, etc etc. Great coffee there at Prufrock too.