Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bumping it up to 16, even in DDR3200 bumped it up about $70

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($131.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($192.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $573.85

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why is RAM so expensive right now? I understand GPU's, is the sudden increase in demand for RAM also from miners?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

ufarn posted:

Is the RAM dual channel if you buy it packs of one at a time? I never understood that whole system.

Watch this , bro.

It is a quick and dirty audio/visual understanding of single, dual, triple and quad ram configurations.
https://youtu.be/-D8fhsXqq4o

If you're on limited data, just yell. Someone will go into detail about it in this thread for ya.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Taffer posted:

Why is RAM so expensive right now? I understand GPU's, is the sudden increase in demand for RAM also from miners?
datacenters and HPC are expanding rapidly and to the people that own datacenters RAM is like 0.02% of their costs

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Taffer posted:

High demand and suppliers have gotten burned by the boom/bust cycle so many times that they don't build up new production as quickly as they used to. Also modern processes mean fabs are stupid expensive in general.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Cellphones all use DDR4 now, and they're basically disposable. I don't know what the biggest driver is, but there's a lot of phones getting built.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thanks for the memory channel link; I sorta figured out the basics of what it was when I assembled my last computer, but I couldn't figure out when the memory was dual or quad channel.

Assuming RAM manufacturers kicked production into gear around Christmas and the logistics chain takes 90 days for them to make it to market, is it plausible that we'll see an improvement in supply and subsequently price in time for Zen+ in April?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ufarn posted:

Thanks for the memory channel link; I sorta figured out the basics of what it was when I assembled my last computer, but I couldn't figure out when the memory was dual or quad channel.

Assuming RAM manufacturers kicked production into gear around Christmas and the logistics chain takes 90 days for them to make it to market, is it plausible that we'll see an improvement in supply and subsequently price in time for Zen+ in April?

Considering how much money they are raking in: probably not.

Look at retailers with gpus. Nvidia is asking them to think of general consumers before miners but we all know how thats gonna go. Newegg is selling most gpus at 2. 5 to 3.5x their msrp and will keep doing it as long as demand is there and miners are loving brain damaged enough to shell out $1000.00 for a gtx 1070.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is a 7970 GHZ Edition still passable for 1080P? I’ve got an offer for $180 for my GTX970 because graphics card prices are crazy, and I could get a 7970 for $90 to hopefully wait until prices are less insane. I could also get a 1050ti for $100, but then I couldn’t overclock unless I managed to find one at that price with a PCIe power connector.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any sign of GPU prices coming down? Like are we going to be dealing with this for years?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is a 7970 GHZ Edition still passable for 1080P? I’ve got an offer for $180 for my GTX970 because graphics card prices are crazy, and I could get a 7970 for $90 to hopefully wait until prices are less insane. I could also get a 1050ti for $100, but then I couldn’t overclock unless I managed to find one at that price with a PCIe power connector.

I'd think about what you're playing. The 7970 is a pretty old card and won't play modern AAA titles very well, but if you're not playing those games it might be fine. It will also use a bit more power than a 970. The 970 is a bit newer than the 7970 but it's not that new either, although it's still a solid card for 1080p unless you're playing something that needs a lot of VRAM. It's similar to a 1060 but has the 3.5GB of ram issue whereas you can get a 1060 with 6GB. I guess some folks are desperate and want to make $2 a day mining with it or whatever which is keeping its value up (or want to play games and can't get a 1060 for a reasonable price). GTX 970's are selling on ebay (sold listings) for $220-280 so it seems like a bad move to sell it at $180 and/or sell it at all, depending on what you play.

If you're not sure, put in the 7970 and fire up what you play normally and see how it is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mine is a mini, so it’s only going for $220 on EBay before they take their cut and I pay shipping and PayPal takes it’s cut.

I think I might not take the $180 (after shipping and PayPal) and just put it up for $200-225 or something on Craigslist. There are 960s up for $200 and the higher end 970s are asking $250 or so locally, so if I could move it for that much I might be able to get a decent deal on something else.

I’d love to paperclip trade myself up to something nice, but that’s far from a certain prospect.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Mine is a mini, so it’s only going for $220 on EBay before they take their cut and I pay shipping and PayPal takes it’s cut.

I think I might not take the $180 (after shipping and PayPal) and just put it up for $200-225 or something on Craigslist. There are 960s up for $200 and the higher end 970s are asking $250 or so locally, so if I could move it for that much I might be able to get a decent deal on something else.

I’d love to paperclip trade myself up to something nice, but that’s far from a certain prospect.

I suspect the way to do that in our new stupid crypto obsessed idiot culture would be to mine some butts and hope it goes up 5000% again... which, uh...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Is there any sign of GPU prices coming down? Like are we going to be dealing with this for years?

They'll probably go down from total-insane levels, but I expect they'll be higher than old norms for a while. We didn't see a spike this big during the height of bitcoin, this is just on the back of a rising cryptocurrency that's still easy to mine. As ethereum settles down, and after the boom-bust cycle of a couple more cryptocurrencies happens, people won't be as eager to jump on the bandwagon. But until nerds get it through their skulls that this is not an effective get-rich-quick-easy scheme (it will take a while, nerds are notoriously stubborn and immune to outside influence), we won't see the prices drop down to "normal". So don't hold your breath.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Any suggestions on particular 1050Ti's to look for or to avoid? It's about time to replace my video card and the 1050Ti looks to be the sweet spot for me as far as budget and performance go.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
So... it seems like between the Meltdown/Spectre patches being garbage, RAM prices, and GPU prices, this might possibly be the worst possible time to build a new computer. Inaccurate?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

So... it seems like between the Meltdown/Spectre patches being garbage, RAM prices, and GPU prices, this might possibly be the worst possible time to build a new computer. Inaccurate?

Accurate.

Spent the past year and a half / two years telling myself there's no need to upgrade, as my PC was fine. And now that I've got an insane itch to upgrade my entire system, I can't. Can't upgrade my CPU because I need a new Mobo, and I can't do that because I need DDR4 RAM (of which I have none, I have 8 year old DDR3), so I'll upgrade my GPU to tide me over - but wait, GPU prices have been absolutely gouged and scalpers are having a field day and cryptominers are loving it up even more.

Yikes. I got a 1080 and not a day later, the price went up to £660 from £570. JESUS.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.microcenter.com/product/488862/CodexXE069US_Desktop_Computer

Anyone know what the PSU is like on this? “Almost” seems like a good price based on what GPUs are going for

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

Accurate.

Spent the past year and a half / two years telling myself there's no need to upgrade, as my PC was fine. And now that I've got an insane itch to upgrade my entire system, I can't. Can't upgrade my CPU because I need a new Mobo, and I can't do that because I need DDR4 RAM (of which I have none, I have 8 year old DDR3), so I'll upgrade my GPU to tide me over - but wait, GPU prices have been absolutely gouged and scalpers are having a field day and cryptominers are loving it up even more.

Yikes. I got a 1080 and not a day later, the price went up to £660 from £570. JESUS.

Yeah, I'm in the same position. 7-year old PC, it's been running games and things fine, but it had been taking multiple reboots to restart. And now I can't get it to boot up at all, and don't want to do without a desktop.

Thinking about just using my current video card and shelling out too much for a subpar processor and overexpensive RAM, then holding out for the great GPU freefall; I wouldn't even be considering it if it were working at all.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488862/CodexXE069US_Desktop_Computer

Anyone know what the PSU is like on this? “Almost” seems like a good price based on what GPUs are going for

https://www.msi.com/pdf/presale/Codex-XE

AC Adapter / PSU 850W 80 Plus Platinum certified /550W 80 Plus Bronze certified

Figure the 550w since it's not the SLI model.

Edit: Hmm, no mention of SLI in the datasheet like in previous models now that I look it over once more. Not sure.
(OK, no SLI because the board is a Z370-A Pro board)

Edit 2: Split might be 550w for the i5 and 850w for i7?

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 23, 2018

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

8-bit Miniboss posted:

https://www.msi.com/pdf/presale/Codex-XE

AC Adapter / PSU 850W 80 Plus Platinum certified /550W 80 Plus Bronze certified

Figure the 550w since it's not the SLI model.

Edit: Hmm, no mention of SLI in the datasheet like in previous models now that I look it over once more. Not sure.
(OK, no SLI because the board is a Z370-A Pro board)

Edit 2: Split might be 550w for the i5 and 850w for i7?

more "is it liable to be a piece of poo poo" I guess

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same position. 7-year old PC, it's been running games and things fine, but it had been taking multiple reboots to restart. And now I can't get it to boot up at all, and don't want to do without a desktop.

Thinking about just using my current video card and shelling out too much for a subpar processor and overexpensive RAM, then holding out for the great GPU freefall; I wouldn't even be considering it if it were working at all.

The most frustrating part about this entire thing is: I can afford to fully upgrade. I just physically can't, because the thought of knowing I'd overpaid by 40-50% would fester and then seeing GPU / RAM prices normalize a few months down the line would make me feel like such a chump.

In your situation, using your current video card seems like a solid plan. RAM is gonna sit real badly with you, though, it's genuinely 50% upmarked compared to what it was in the past.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Titan XPs are still at MSRP I guess

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yep, still on sale at Nvidia proper which is most likely keeping the price somewhat stable. But woof.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean... my parents did say they'd buy my video card as an Xmas/Birthday gift. And I'd hate to buy something above MSRP, right? It's just the best deal I can find.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
kill your local bitcoin miner

Khizan posted:

Any suggestions on particular 1050Ti's to look for or to avoid? It's about time to replace my video card and the 1050Ti looks to be the sweet spot for me as far as budget and performance go.

to look for: none

to avoid: all

the 1050TI is a good card, but it shot up about 2x in price in the past couple weeks and is no longer in anybody's sweet spot for budget whatsoever. no GPU with remotely worthwhile performance is currently budget-friendly. i would genuinely suggest that anyone looking to get into gaming at the moment buy a console instead, because the small amount you save on games in steam sales is currently massively made up for by how badly buying remotely decent parts will bend your wallet over and gently caress it.

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... my parents did say they'd buy my video card as an Xmas/Birthday gift. And I'd hate to buy something above MSRP, right? It's just the best deal I can find.

i would be extremely, extremely surprised if your parents are holding up that deal unless they were already planning to drop a very large amount of money. if they were, you are most likely getting something a fair step down from what you want. i am sorry to inform you of this.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 23, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i would be extremely, extremely surprised if your parents are holding up that deal unless they were already planning to drop a very large amount of money. if they were, you are most likely getting something a fair step down from what you want. i am sorry to inform you of this.
That was a joke. I'm, like, 35. They're expecting $300-$400.

Which is why I'm gonna hold out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah that's... about the price range of a 1050TI right now

seriously can we get "DO NOT BUY GPUS FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE" added to the thread title or something?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 23, 2018

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah that's... about the price range of a 1050TI right now

seriously can we get "DO NOT BUY GPUS FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE" added to the thread title or something?
I got this for the Newegg price of $189.99 like a week ago. Just click the auto-notify button next to the Newegg row at the bottom: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137054

Thanatosian posted:

Every time I shop Newegg anymore, all I seem to see are shady resellers. Did they change their business model sometime in the last... like... five years, I guess?
The "reasonably" priced Newegg stock just gets sold out almost immediately. That's why you need to click the notify button and put in your email. I got the email the instant it was available and was able to grab one. Took about 45min before they were all sold out though and defaulted back to the $400+ resellers.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 23, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Every time I shop Newegg anymore, all I seem to see are shady resellers. Did they change their business model sometime in the last... like... five years, I guess?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Taffer posted:

They'll probably go down from total-insane levels, but I expect they'll be higher than old norms for a while. We didn't see a spike this big during the height of bitcoin, this is just on the back of a rising cryptocurrency that's still easy to mine. As ethereum settles down, and after the boom-bust cycle of a couple more cryptocurrencies happens, people won't be as eager to jump on the bandwagon. But until nerds get it through their skulls that this is not an effective get-rich-quick-easy scheme (it will take a while, nerds are notoriously stubborn and immune to outside influence), we won't see the prices drop down to "normal". So don't hold your breath.

Is there signs that that this will bleed into the next generation? I was saving for Volta cards to get playable 1440p gaming on my rig but if they are going be inflated for the long term, I might put that money into Judo gis instead.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Microcenter's desktops went up 300-400 bucks. :/
Guess that Dell prebuilt is the only deal right now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Microcenter's desktops went up 300-400 bucks. :/
Guess that Dell prebuilt is the only deal right now.

Which one is that again?

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

Which one is that again?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop?view=configurations

I've been looking at the one for $1,349.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Is the Aorus 5 bad? $200 is in my range for gaudy as gently caress LEDS that make me look like a huge tool.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is it an awful time to build a top-end computer, or any build in general right now?

I'm looking to spend $500-ish and meet these system reqs, which looks totally feasible:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/678950/announcements/detail/1600332806227659565

Is it just the cost of RAM and GFX cards that are unusually high?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Q8ee posted:

Accurate.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I gave in and went to Micro Center (Ohio) to look at video cards. They had one (1) ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB for $547 USD (I think there was a 20-30 dollar mail in rebate too, I can't recall now). Nothing else, even remotely, close to that performance in stock. So, I picked it up. A lot more than I needed or wanted but I'm so tired of waiting to upgrade my entire system. I'm glad I got it. It's a huge positive difference in game play now. It replaced my old GTX 650 ti , lol.

I also bought two 8gb sticks of DDR3 RAM from Amazon. I wish I would not have bought it though. I had 8gb total RAM and a couple games were using all available RAM. I thought going to 16gb would help a little. I'm not really seeing any appreciable performance gains from the upgrade to justify the $130 USD. I certainly have plenty of RAM now. A shame it will be 100% useless to me when I do a MOBO upgrade.

I feel like it was a huge dick-move for Intel to require a motherboard upgrade for their newer CPUs so soon. I'm not very tech-savvy but it feels like a kick in the balls.

For me to see any more appreciable gains with my computer, I pretty much need to buy new Motherboard, CPU and (DDR4)RAM. I don't feel good about purchasing what is available right now. I'm not too keen with the BS involved with overclocking what I have either.

So, I wait to see what's available in another 6 - 12 months.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't think the industry is really concerned about computer building enthusiasts at this point.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SinJin posted:

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I gave in and went to Micro Center (Ohio) to look at video cards. They had one (1) ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB for $547 USD (I think there was a 20-30 dollar mail in rebate too, I can't recall now). Nothing else, even remotely, close to that performance in stock. So, I picked it up. A lot more than I needed or wanted but I'm so tired of waiting to upgrade my entire system. I'm glad I got it. It's a huge positive difference in game play now. It replaced my old GTX 650 ti , lol.

how on earth are prices so cheap in the US? $547 to GBP is £391. I just bought a 1080 the other day for £560... What's with the GPU price disparity between US / UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Q8ee posted:

how on earth are prices so cheap in the US? $547 to GBP is £391. I just bought a 1080 the other day for £560... What's with the GPU price disparity between US / UK?

Americans don't list sales tax in their prices, and don't have VAT you have for yourself included in price. The actual price difference ends up being like 10-15% more, which is just the way things are with Europe

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2018