Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

After 63 hours, I've gotten all of the launch operators and built up enough resources to get any two of the rest, but not a dang clue of which to pick. Any ideas? I'm looking to branch out a bit.

Stats for reference:

Weapon stats:
Melee kills: 2
Accuracy: 48.48%
Headshots: 3.69%
Kill assists: 154
Penetration kills: 29
Bullets fired: 6,922
Bullets hit: 3,356

Overall stats:
Revives: 20
Suicides: 2
Reinforcements deployed: 426
Barricades built: 566

Best 4 Operators:
1. Kapkan: 149 kills/127 deaths, 11.2 hrs
2. IQ: 56 kills/73 deaths, 6.0 hrs
3. Thermite: 66 kills/68 deaths, 6.0 hrs
4. Fuze: 26 kills/37 deaths, 3.5 hrs

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I am still super new but I vote Mira because she owns and her ability is fun to use. Also seems like it might meet your branch out goal since she's a defender and the only other defender in your best 4 is Kapkan. I think people find Lesion pretty fun also.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hibana and Mira are my votes. Or Mira and Cav.

Always play Cav on Tower, always.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If you like the trap setting gameplay of Kapkan, I like Frost a lot. Those traps are very satisfying.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's the snapping sound. Its very cathartic.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For offense, Buck or Blackbeard because you need more beard. For defense, Frost for the traps and her awesome weapon.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lol https://www.vg247.com/2018/01/22/rainbow-six-siege-hates-new-players/amp/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol I didn't even notice there's more DLC ops than base game ops now

that dude's 100% right about pretty much everything in this article btw

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 22, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Zomborgon posted:

After 63 hours, I've gotten all of the year 1 operators and built up enough resources to get any two of the rest, but not a dang clue of which to pick. Any ideas? I'm looking to branch out a bit.
If you actually have all the year 1 operator like you say, I have a few recommendations for the rest.

Jackal is the standout attacker with the ability to instantly clear rooms by just looking at doorways. Combine this with the best AR in the game.

Mira is good if you like being fat and sitting in one place. It's not my style but it can be effective.
Lesion has a more useful gadget than Ela, which has better guns. Either should be roaming and using their gadget to get information on the location of enemies.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Basticle posted:

My crew doesn't play a whole lot of ranked for a variety of unimportant reasons but we did a bunch last night and I was loving garbage, generally not contributing at all except for this one round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfDyn92t-Cw

After I stopped having a heart attack I resumed sucking.

This video has made me decide to try to play vigil more. Thank you.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Siege desperately needs a new players only que, for ranks like ~35-40. It has the player counts to support that level of fracturing.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Erm, my mistake- I meant to say I have all of the launch operators. Edited.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Zomborgon posted:

Erm, my mistake- I meant to say I have all of the launch operators. Edited.

Hibana, Jackal. Frost, Valkyrie.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jeremor posted:

This video has made me decide to try to play vigil more. Thank you.

He's tailor made for me: a habitual roamer who dosent help the team.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Basticle posted:

My crew doesn't play a whole lot of ranked for a variety of unimportant reasons but we did a bunch last night and I was loving garbage, generally not contributing at all except for this one round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfDyn92t-Cw

After I stopped having a heart attack I resumed sucking.

I really like that impact grenade from trophy room to reveal the main stairs. I love learning those little line-of-sight tricks, destruction is amazing for that.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Id actually enjoy like a mentor queue. Just have people that are over level something be able to queue up as mentors and match them with people below level aomething to play against other mentor groups. I doubt something like that could be implemented but it was like the one tbing in destiny 2 i was like, thats a cool idea

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

SMP posted:

Siege desperately needs a new players only que, for ranks like ~35-40. It has the player counts to support that level of fracturing.

That queue would be 80% smurfs tho.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

After 63 hours, I've gotten all of the launch operators and built up enough resources to get any two of the rest, but not a dang clue of which to pick. Any ideas? I'm looking to branch out a bit.

Stats for reference:

Weapon stats:
Melee kills: 2
Accuracy: 48.48%
Headshots: 3.69%
Kill assists: 154
Penetration kills: 29
Bullets fired: 6,922
Bullets hit: 3,356

Overall stats:
Revives: 20
Suicides: 2
Reinforcements deployed: 426
Barricades built: 566

Best 4 Operators:
1. Kapkan: 149 kills/127 deaths, 11.2 hrs
2. IQ: 56 kills/73 deaths, 6.0 hrs
3. Thermite: 66 kills/68 deaths, 6.0 hrs
4. Fuze: 26 kills/37 deaths, 3.5 hrs
I'm going to suggest operators that offer new gameplay options

Attack
Jackal can sniff opfor footsteps and locate them (all your team recieve a ping what refresh every few second), he also has an interesting selection of weapons
Dokkaebi has great weapons, can ring defender phones and hack their cameras

Defense
Mira can create windows in reinforcable walls, she has a very high rof SMG and a shotgun
Valkyrie can throw camera around
Caveira can walk silently and has a pretty overpowered silent pistol, she can also interrogate her victims

Honarble mentions:
Buck is an improved Sledge
Hibana is an improved Thermite
Frost and Lesion kinda play like Kapkan with different kind of traps
Ela is a 3 speed operator with an overpowered SMG and cool stun traps
Blackbeard is kinda boring but his face shield are a big advantage in peeking duels

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I don’t expect to be great at Dota 2 or any other complex game the moment I start playing, but at least those games have tutorials, or modes outside of the main event designed to ease you in.

Lmao how long was dota 2 around before it added tutorials?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

algebra testes posted:

Ubisoft hasn't made any indication that they plan to ever do so for Siege

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ubisoft hasn't made any indication that they plan to ever do so for Siege

Don't ruin my moment!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The situations already teach you all the basics though? :confused:
People don't listen to the cutscenes or what?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Putting in another vote for trying Caveira. Not so much for pure effectivity (though she can make quite the difference if played well), but mostly for the fun factor and as a learning experience. It's easy to mess up with her and achieve next to nothing by overextending, but if things do line up right and you get those interrogations and you manage those sneaky flanks, that's just about the most exciting and satisfying thing in the game. She's also very good at learning how to roam efficiently. She can relocate all across the map in a hurry without drawing much attention, and her weapons (while perfectly usable) are not super well-suited for getting into face-to-face firefights. This trains you to be mindful of where the enemy is at all times, and how to pick your battles so that you've got a decisive advantage before things even start. Before I had her, I would often just go right at the enemy attackers wherever they were and let things basically fall where they may. But after playing Cav a bunch, I've found I've gotten much more confident about disengaging when things aren't looking my way and maneuvering aggressively to get a better angle, which often works out much better.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah for all that i have had absolutely miserable matches as cav i definitely learn maps better playing her since you have to flank so hard

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Cav is fun as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9NPtAC7DLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3J0J2jFbys

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For thatcher is there any reason not to run the AR? It seems really nice but if the l85 is noticeably better then eh.

Im just asking because when using sledge the L85 seems very nice

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I play Thatcher a lot and I use the l85 because I have a way cooler skin for it

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

That "no tutorials" in that article is pretty funny since the game tells you to play the situations first, and they teach you all the basic mechanics. Is the dude confused by the fact that Siege's tutorials are not called tutorials? I'm an utter potato at fps-games and those things did exactly what they needed to do, they taught me the very basics of how to reinforce poo poo, sightlines being a thing and how some of the operators play.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IDK I think the confusion over which version of the game to buy is the only legit part of that article.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

algebra testes posted:

The Dota 2 tutorials are only tutorials in name, they are dogshit at actually teaching people how the game is played.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SpiritOfLenin posted:

That "no tutorials" in that article is pretty funny since the game tells you to play the situations first, and they teach you all the basic mechanics. Is the dude confused by the fact that Siege's tutorials are not called tutorials? I'm an utter potato at fps-games and those things did exactly what they needed to do, they taught me the very basics of how to reinforce poo poo, sightlines being a thing and how some of the operators play.

He played the situations and felt they did not adequately prepare him for multiplayer or most of the ops. Which is 100% true. The very basics don't really cut it, Siege is an incredibly complex game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Id agree the situations give you an idea of how the game systems work (eg destructible walls and abilities) but no where near fill you in on the complexeties of vs

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

Id agree the situations give you an idea of how the game systems work (eg destructible walls and abilities) but no where near fill you in on the complexeties of vs

There's only so much a tutorial can do for something as ever-changing as continually-updated competitive multiplayer. Even bot matches with the full operator set and game modes would do little more.

Half of the fun of the genre is learning to play and counter-play, which is exactly what the devs focus on when designing characters and maps.

However, what would be more helpful would be individual tutorials for each operator (preferably *not* locked behind unlocking the operator). Then everyone could know each character's skillset and general role without reading changelogs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The guy outlines a number of things that the game could cover in more depth, including:
- Ways to learn and explore the maps (no, solo custom matches don't count, it doesn't sound like he was even aware you could do that, and for good reason)
- Scenarios to introduce and explain each operator in action
- Any information at all on the new gadgets that have been added (impact grenade, claymore) and therefore not covered by the 2-year-old tutorial

But that's really a minor part of the article, and no one has made any attempt to deny the charges against Ubisoft bilking the game for everything it's worth from its' players wallets. I've personally lost faith in the competence, vision, and management of the dev team since I bought the Y2 Season Pass, and I won't be buying this one. Technically, the game has improved a great deal (the networking changes were long overdue but seem to have made a big difference, and they've made some superficial steps towards combating toxicity) but the imbalanced and unfocused DLC ops, the incredibly aggressive microtransaction pushes, the absolute state of the Ranked game mode, the stagnation in the forms that the game has expanded and grown, etc. have left a sour taste in my mouth over the past year.

I'll probably continue playing Siege off and on but I'm done giving Ubisoft extra money to do the bare minimum. Siege has an enormous playerbase, a seemingly sterling reputation, and boatloads of moolah to be carted into the Ubisoft HQ through boosters, skins, loot boxes, uniforms, headgear, charms, and operators. We're long past the point of "we need money to keep Siege alive and continue supporting it." It's clearly a huge cash cow for Ubisoft, they are now making more money off of microtransactions than digital game sales, and I can't think of any other Ubisoft game that's probably pulling in significant microtransaction money. They need to start growing the game beyond being a nigh-impenetrable shootmans arena that they're constantly changing the tires on while it drives.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

But that's really a minor part of the article, and no one has made any attempt to deny the charges against Ubisoft bilking the game for everything it's worth from its' players wallets. I've personally lost faith in the competence, vision, and management of the dev team since I bought the Y2 Season Pass, and I won't be buying this one. Technically, the game has improved a great deal (the networking changes were long overdue but seem to have made a big difference, and they've made some superficial steps towards combating toxicity) but the imbalanced and unfocused DLC ops, the incredibly aggressive microtransaction pushes, the absolute state of the Ranked game mode, the stagnation in the forms that the game has expanded and grown, etc. have left a sour taste in my mouth over the past year.

The currency side of Siege is a total mess and I'm surprised they only made the system worse for new players compared to launch. I like the game and keep coming back to it after months-long breaks expecting something interesting to happen, but Ranked is still in beta and barring the netcode improvements it hasn't seen any major changes or improvements. It's not bad that it plays the same, but it feels very static for a game that's getting minor cosmetic releases what seems like every few weeks and then operators that are, as mentioned, kind of poorly balanced. It just doesn't seem like the game is going to become more interesting over time, but it has a long-rear end roadmap of content still to come.

I definitely like it and I got my money's worth out of it between buying it on launch and buying the Y2 bundle, but I still have some lingering distaste for things like how boring a concept the alpha packs are and the fairly uninspired and generally ugly cosmetic stuff. The UI is still pretty clunky too. Maybe I'm just salty that I'm poor and can't buy all the cool stuff whenever I want.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 23, 2018

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Anyone else had all their ops uniform/headgear and weapon skins reset to default since yesterdays maintenance?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

keyframe posted:

Anyone else had all their ops uniform/headgear and weapon skins reset to default since yesterdays maintenance?

Yeah all of mine reset too. I have to reapply plasma pink and Army Helmet Duck to literally all my weapons.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

- Ways to learn and explore the maps (no, solo custom matches don't count, it doesn't sound like he was even aware you could do that, and for good reason)

I don't really agree with the rest of your post but I don't massively disagree either, but this one point I don't understand at all and I've seen it said a few times now. Why exactly do solo custom matches not count? It's not even especially hidden, it's right there in the multiplayer menu.

And that's completely ignoring terrorist hunt, which is extremely easy to launch into a solo game of.

I've played my fair share of shooters and Siege is really...the easiest among all of them to set up a quick testing game of, and that's including Overwatch and TF2. I'd like to see them have the map-choosing system not buried behind 3 menus I guess but aside from that it's basically effortless, and that's a major part of the reason Siege is now my go-to singleplayer shootmans game for when I want to unwind. I guess it's important that it's that easy since learning the maps is so vital to Siege in particular, so I can see why it doesn't deserve extra praise for it, but I don't think it's really a valid criticism either.

The one part I do totally agree with is that the situations should be updated. Don't they still have Thermite with frags in them? And while claymores are pretty intuitive, impacts aren't so much and they're super vital to understand so that's a pretty big omission.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Koramei posted:

I don't really agree with the rest of your post but I don't massively disagree either, but this one point I don't understand at all and I've seen it said a few times now. Why exactly do solo custom matches not count? It's not even especially hidden, it's right there in the multiplayer menu.

And that's completely ignoring terrorist hunt, which is extremely easy to launch into a solo game of.

I've played my fair share of shooters and Siege is really...the easiest among all of them to set up a quick testing game of, and that's including Overwatch and TF2. I'd like to see them have the map-choosing system not buried behind 3 menus I guess but aside from that it's basically effortless, and that's a major part of the reason Siege is now my go-to singleplayer shootmans game for when I want to unwind. I guess it's important that it's that easy since learning the maps is so vital to Siege in particular, so I can see why it doesn't deserve extra praise for it, but I don't think it's really a valid criticism either.

The one part I do totally agree with is that the situations should be updated. Don't they still have Thermite with frags in them? And while claymores are pretty intuitive, impacts aren't so much and they're super vital to understand so that's a pretty big omission.

Dude, read the loving article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
hm okay that's a fairer point than I gave it credit for, and while trying to make bots that can play out rounds in a remotely sensible way that actually prepares you for much seems like a hopeless feat I guess it is kinda lacking.

conversely the whole spiel about DLC ops being necessary just makes me mad. you get 20 loving operators, including nearly all of the best ones in the game. the idea that you'll be left out to dry without the DLC ops is ridiculous. It's a failure of communication that new players think they need to have them to stay competitive but it's not a game play problem in the slightest.