Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Minto Took posted:

How many "final tours" did Black Sabbath have, anyway?

The End tour went on for a long time but it's the only one I know of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

The Muppets On PCP posted:

final tour = charge $75 for tickets but still do a dozen fest dates every summer

Isn't this exactly what's happening? I thought I saw another upcoming summer rehash of the last Slayer/Lamb of God tour announced a while ago.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would pay to see them with Dave Lombardo and a hologram Hanneman.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I saw Dead Cross so that's better than seeing Dave play with Slayer.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Can LoG stop touring instead? I'm pretty sure no one cares about seeing them anymore

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Randy's pictures are a whole lot more interesting than LoG's music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He also does an oddly good H.R. impression for Bad Brains

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.facebook.com/nooneknowswhatthedeadthink/

2/3 of Discordance Axis + drummer from COHOL gonna do a thing later this year or early next

Jon Chang was retired and Rob Marton was unable to write (or something) so this is a pretty cool development. There's one demo track w/no vocals so far

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Have we discussed Godflesh' latest? because its awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dIOkBykgI4

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

Have we discussed Godflesh' latest? because its awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dIOkBykgI4

Awesome? That intro is absurdly obnoxious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh no, not a bad intro!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All the metal you is like is poo poo from a butt; all the metal I like gives me non-stop orgasms.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jeremy_X posted:

Awesome? That intro is absurdly obnoxious.

What intro? that's the same guitar riff that repeats through the rest of the song

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spicy take: I’ve never liked Godflesh. Tried? Sure. Lied about liking them? Yup. They don’t do anything for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I loved the gently caress out of Godflesh since like 92 but usually only really listen to the first ep. There's just some magic about those pounding rhythms and man if only I could play guitar like him :allears:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
taste is subjective? wow!!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2rzrRP6GP4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As long as finger plucked classical intros continue to be made, no intro is too cheesy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I listened to the new Lugubrum album earlier and I don't think it's very good, there's one song that is kind of cool and has a nice riff and then for the rest of it they seem to be trying to be a krautrock band but it doesn't really work. It's only like 30 minutes long though so I didn't really waste much time

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Weaponized Cum posted:

taste is subjective? wow!!

Look I think we can all agree that the new Machine Head track is objectively bad.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Look I think we can all agree that the new Machine Head track is objectively bad.

I think the point is that yes, it is one of the worst songs I have heard in a long time, but someone out there really likes it and that's OK. Getting upset at other people liking things is generally pretty stupid.

Edit: Perhaps a better way to put it is that the quality of, say, a piece of music is still somewhat subjective but you can come up with metrics to measure it by - originality, complexity, tunefulness or whatever - and then make an argument within that framework that the track is good or bad. This can be useful for really understanding a piece, looking at how it fits into a genre and making critical reviews. What it doesn't do is negate that fact that someone may like a "bad" piece or dislike a "good" piece, partly because the metrics themselves are subjective (is a catchy but generic song better than an innovative wall of noise or vice versa?) but mainly because taste is personal and people like what they like regardless of "quality".

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 23, 2018

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
The other thing too is, especially in metal, if you are a musician yourself, I think I (you) tend to enjoy bands that are more proficient in said instrument.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
the song sucks my man

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think as I get older I enjoy more concise and restrained songwriting than the Opeth length songs I used to listen to as a teen. It's one thing to have virtuoso skill, but it's another to know restraint.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Machine Head is evil! The Godflesh is good!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

gently caress I can't stop spinning Holographic Universe it's too goddamn good!!!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

To Battle posted:

The other thing too is, especially in metal, if you are a musician yourself, I think I (you) tend to enjoy bands that are more proficient in said instrument.

old venom and hellhammer ruled and those guys couldn't play for poo poo

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What's everyone's favorite metal band that themes its lyrics around war-based table top games?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Spatulater bro! posted:

What's everyone's favorite metal band that themes its lyrics around war-based table top games?

Dethlehem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3C0LL2fBQc

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

Mine rhymes with "Bolt Thrower."

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Amon amarth, Cirith Ungol and Minas Morgul.
Oh and of course Ereb Altor.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spatulater bro! posted:

slough feg

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vargatron posted:

gently caress I can't stop spinning Holographic Universe it's too goddamn good!!!

It is the best Scar Symmetry album by a fuckin' mile, the closer is so loving good I lose my poo poo every time.
The first Solution .45 album isn't quiiite as tight but it scratches the itch too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
reminder that necros christos loving owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGfR7rN26E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxivzOU-QjY

they have a new (and final) album coming out this year

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Colt Blower? They suck!

Literally.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

You've inspired me to name my new band Goat Mower. Thanks!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Stoat Grower is my new avant-garde metal EP.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My new nautical themed metal band is "Boat Rower"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ask me about my siege engineering themed project, Moat Boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Check out my new stoner metal band with Demilich style vocals, Toad Stoner.