Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I finished the game last night, 95 hours and level 85. Still 6 blades to get but there's no way I'm spending ages trying to get them now.

I didn't finish the first Xenoblade because of analysis paralysis but I still recognised Klaus to a degree. I looked it all up though, it was a pretty good connection.
Although I'm not 100% clear on what or why the hell the Conduit is or what power Rex lost when it vanished.

I agree that the game leaves quite a few things as a mystery. I guess Addam was just proving that if you're raised in Fonsett you're a cut above normal people?

My biggest question though is who the gently caress is Azurda? They all know him, he's a titan that can talk, he can turn into a little fluffy thing. What the hell, game?

Azurda's just a Titan that talks, and he regenerated into an infant form. The only reason he turned back at the end immediately was a last gasp of power from Pneuma/Pyra's Conduit powers.

The power Pyra lost was that of infinite creation. It's why Pneuma/Pyra can use any element. It's also the endless power that created the universe as it is now, along with Shulk's pocket dimension of endless water astride twin giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Azurda's just a Titan that talks, and he regenerated into an infant form. The only reason he turned back at the end immediately was a last gasp of power from Pneuma/Pyra's Conduit powers.

The power Pyra lost was that of infinite creation. It's why Pneuma/Pyra can use any element. It's also the endless power that created the universe as it is now, along with Shulk's pocket dimension of endless water astride twin giants.

That's not a "just" when you're the only one.
And when you're a friend of Addam that everyone seems to know, entrusted with guarding his special place....but you're in none of the flashbacks and aren't explained at all.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So what are the recommended end game setups? I'm trying not to waste my overdrives mid game and don't mind spoilers.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Calaveron posted:

And my only 35 strength Ether Cannon user is, was, Herald so gently caress her and gently caress the gacha system
I beat the game anyway. Ending sequence was a lot of fun though oddly placed and the final boss’s two adds are more dangerous than the final boss himself. Good game with a lot of little cuts that make it not excel

You might be able to get her back by paying an informant. They may have something about 'Herald's Location' or something that leads to that for probably $5k or something. I don't know for sure, but I've seen some other things along those lines there.

the panacea posted:

So what are the recommended end game setups? I'm trying not to waste my overdrives mid game and don't mind spoilers.

That is a really open question with no real right answer. Most setups seem to involve around giving Rex Mythra, an Axe user (Zenobia/Gorg usually,) and Roc so that he can do Topple->Launch->Smash on his own, then have Nia for healing, and either Morag or Tora for tanking.

Supposedly if you were willing to do a moderate amount of Tiger Tiger you can make Poppi pretty broken. I was not willing to do this and I cannot stand Tora's voices MEH MEH MEH! in battle anyways.

However - I myself had luck killing Cloud Sea King Ken myself around level 79-80 with the following setup:

Rex: Mythra, Nia, Roc
Zeke: Pandora, KOS-MOS, Gorg
Morag: Brighid, Aegeon, Kassandra/Percival depending.

Control Rex and be responsible for healing. Put Beta Scopes on everyone that isn't Rex, and Rex gets an Overclocking Bangle and a World Tree Drop (you did say end-game, that comes from the final superboss as well as a few chests and stuff.) Keep things on Mythra most of the time and just chain things, then switch to Roc for smashes and Nia for heals (she has a healing art, and her specials all heal a bunch as well - one of them is nearly all health I think.) Topple with Mythra whenever you see a break, Zeke will launch with Pandoria 90% of the time, and then switch to Roc for a smash.

The upside of this one is you control healing as well as DPS so you're in charge of a lot of stuff here. You also have reasonable elemental coverage for orbs, although some of them are going to be rather difficult. The downside is your elemental coverage could be a bit better, and you are relying on Zeke for your launching. I never found that to be much of a problem, to be honest. Way better than relying on Morag for smashing. Once you get Ken to about 1/2 health and have at least 4 orbs on him, you should be able to chain attack (Switch to Pneuma right before this for bonus damage - this can also help with a last orb or two if you're quick) and drop him from half health to overkill and get a bunch of orbs.

That's just one of many builds/strategies. The main things are to try to mix up elemental coverage and have some method for Driver combos (break->topple->launch->smash.) It isn't the best one out there I'm sure but honestly it's rather subjective and depends who you're fighting anyways. You can probably do everything just using who you like unless it's a fundamentally retarded setup, like putting all healers on Zeke or something.

Cloud Sea King Ken is annoying with smashes, by the way, if you're trying to loot his stuff because you have to stay under him to do that, but your teammates will be about 200 meters away up the hill, so if anyone dies, it's kind of a thing to heal them and then get back. He's easier to kill if you don't worry about looting core crystals or the really good core chips from smashing him.

I haven't really tackled any of the other superbosses yet, so I'm not sure how that build would work on them. I'm trying a new one out now anyways:

Rex: Mythra, Zenobia, Roc (I really don't like this elemental coverage but it's the only way I can keep smash and have Zenobia)
Nia: Dromarch, Ursula, Floren
Morag: Kassandra, Aegaeon, Brighid.

It mostly has good elemental coverage. I am trying to swap Herald in for Roc and see if Morag can do smashes with Aegaeon so that I have better elemental coverage, but no luck with that so far - she just won't smash with him anywhere near as reliably as Zeke would do launches. But after spending 170 hours trying to get Zenobia I'm not removing her :colbert:

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 21, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

the panacea posted:

Check my post history for a discussion of the strongest endgame setups and the best rare blades.

You can stack damage so high that a single orb is enough to kill anything in the game during a chain attack.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Regarding endgame builds, I want to know more about Aux Cores. I have accessories pretty much covered (Sigma Drives, Burst Symbols, Avant Guard Medals, Beta Scopes, and I think even a World Tree Drop or two?) and I have all the unique Blades.

I would prefer Aux Core setups that don't rely on having Rex. I don't like using him. He's too busted. My usual party is Four, Five, and Nia.

What Aux Cores should I look for? I have a few on Zenobia that increase attack when she's at Max Affinity, plus crit increasing ones. I have ones that increase agility and draw aggro on Four, and I think some block rate boosting ones? I just feel like I don't know what to look for, and I have a mountain of unrefined ones because refining them is such a pain in the rear end.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
So Four is going to struggle to hold aggro unless she's under player control. Almost all of the tank blades have a real hard time generating enough aggro to keep up with the high-end attackers, because they tend not to come with very strong damage bonuses, and the ones that do usually lack the aggro draw blade art and good aggro-generating specials. The exception is Brighid, who has a stacking damage boost per attack evaded, good blade arts, and a level one special with double aggro draw that hits many times and has a huge AOE. So at endgame, Four is best off just sticking to her default blade and using her other two blades as stat sticks. (Katanas with Pentagon chips and evasion modifiers are most helpful.) This means she'll perform badly whenever the AI switches blades. You'll want to have affinity max attack and arts aggro draw aux cores.

Five mostly just wants straight damage modifiers alongside fast blade switch. The latter is helpful because he tends to switch blades to continue driver combos a lot. Critical up is strong on axes (because of their art that resets on crit) and on certain lances with bonuses to crits (Wulfric). Affinity MAX Atk and Indoor/Outdoor Attack Up are strongest, but I don’t really enjoy swapping cores for different locations, so I settle for HP Attack Boost.

Nia is essentially in the same boat as Five, whether you're running ether cannons or healers. There aren’t really any aux cores that are specifically helpful for healing. Ether cannons sometimes want Arts Heal because Nia may not have room to hold a life drain accessory if you're relying on her to Break.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pyra manages to actually have a personality with some measure of depth to it.

It's actually the opposite

chumbler posted:

Yall just can't handle Mythra.

:yeah:

Ometeotl posted:

Is there a faster way to Release blades?

Nope!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In hundreds of cores I've never seen Orb Master

I've probably rolled it more than I think but I rarely ever actually look at blades that aren't 4*. I did see it on a couple 3* blades but iirc it only went to level 3 so meh.

In my hunt for the last two rares (Dahlia and Newt) I've had to start releasing 3* blades because I keep running out of space :lol:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my god I hate this child in the Dahlia cutscene

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Dahlia offers the trifecta of terrible design, terrible side quest, and surprisingly terrible skills.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Well Spotlight would be pretty good... if Pneuma's "lol I attack all orbs" didn't exist.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there any particular enemy that drops Fast Blade Switch V cores? I can never get enough of those.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So is Ursula’s thing just doing the Voice, Soul, and Looks 1 and 2 quest over and over with the occasional pink quest? Because they don’t look like they’re too troublesome so far, just leave them running while you grind or do side quests or whatever

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yes, the thing is you need 99 of each, which even if you get them down to the fastest run time is still like 15 hours of merc missions that you can't use her for.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Calaveron posted:

So is Ursula’s thing just doing the Voice, Soul, and Looks 1 and 2 quest over and over with the occasional pink quest? Because they don’t look like they’re too troublesome so far, just leave them running while you grind or do side quests or whatever

You eventually unlock level 3 and 4 quests for each category, which give you 2 stamps each

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ometeotl posted:

You eventually unlock level 3 and 4 quests for each category, which give you 2 stamps each

At 75 of a particular stamp, you unlock the level 5 mission, which gives 3.

Also some of the pink missions give you stamps for all three.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

You eventually get 3, 4, and 5 which give two, two, and three stamps each, respectively

e: maybe refresh the page before posting when you step away from the computer you dummy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Axle_Stukov posted:

Yes, the thing is you need 99 of each, which even if you get them down to the fastest run time is still like 15 hours of merc missions that you can't use her for.

Hahaha what the gently caress, level 99 are you for loving real? I mean I guess she can either go gently caress herself or be good enough at whatever affinity level she gets to whenever I get bored of playing the game

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zoran posted:

Dahlia offers the trifecta of terrible design, terrible side quest, and surprisingly terrible skills.

why must you hate pretty lady dahlia?

(The nicest thing I can say about her is that her item crafting ability seems to be the only one I saw in the game that didn't look completely pointless and wasteful, and that's only because it only needed a single collectable per item instead of like thirty)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 21, 2018

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bizarre deformity posted:

Is there any particular enemy that drops Fast Blade Switch V cores? I can never get enough of those.

I wanted to know this as well, so I looked it up. It's a post-game superboss who crops up in the Old Factory.

You can get the collectibles to craft them from the World Tree in the spot where you have to drain the water, and Indol/Leftheria via Salvaging.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Axle_Stukov posted:

I don't think it ends up 99 of each. I finished the quest with 99, 92, and 91.

Same difference basically I guess :\

I was thinking about NG+ a bit and what I want for it. My obvious wants are that I don't have to re-get all my rare blades through the lottery again. I also don't want to have to regrind affinity, especially Ursula's, which means that you don't get to use her for 60 hours if you want her level 5. But I can't fathom that they'll do that, because it would be too painless.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Zoran posted:

Check my post history for a discussion of the strongest endgame setups and the best rare blades.

You can stack damage so high that a single orb is enough to kill anything in the game during a chain attack.

I decided to do this because I wanted to compare the specific groupings you're running to what I've been having decent luck with, and you never quite spell out what those setups are - just a (admittedly very good) summary of a lot of blades, and an earlier post mentioning a very brief thing that will let you chain attack a single orb on the 130 boss, but no specifics on it.

Would you be willing to do a more specific post? I've found your info to be really helpful so far and I'm getting to where I'm interested in trying out different setups. I posted what I've been running earlier, but I'm mixing it up, and trying out Crit Heal builds as well, just for fun.

Edit: I guess you do touch on some specifics at the end of that one post but I was looking for like a sample grouping you use, if that makes sense.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shortspecialbus posted:

I don't think it ends up 99 of each. I finished the quest with 99, 92, and 91.

Same difference basically I guess :\

I was thinking about NG+ a bit and what I want for it. My obvious wants are that I don't have to re-get all my rare blades through the lottery again. I also don't want to have to regrind affinity, especially Ursula's, which means that you don't get to use her for 60 hours if you want her level 5. But I can't fathom that they'll do that, because it would be too painless.

Outside of that, I hope they start you at level 1 again and just give you all your exp from the previous game as bonus exp so you can choose whether or not you want to steamroll the game or play it "normally."

Having all the rare blades from the start would give you a pretty big power curve as is, though how they handle blades gotten through the story and blades on party members you don't have yet would be something to deal with.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Outside of that, I hope they start you at level 1 again and just give you all your exp from the previous game as bonus exp so you can choose whether or not you want to steamroll the game or play it "normally."

Having all the rare blades from the start would give you a pretty big power curve as is, though how they handle blades gotten through the story and blades on party members you don't have yet would be something to deal with.

I mean isn’t one of the features they promise in NG+ is being able to disengage the main blades from their drivers, so they should just go hog wild and let you fight Brighid early on, with Brighid and so on

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Why does Tiger Tiger have to be so hard? Even on easy mode I can only do stage 1 with a decentish score.

Also Tantal has cool music.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I killed the level 81 ape patrolling around the way tree but can't find his grave marker. Where is it? I wish they would put them on the minimap

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

English voice track or Japanese, out of curiosity?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

English voice track or Japanese, out of curiosity?

I can't fathom that changed voices could make that whole thing less creepy somehow, unless they completely change the dialog from being about a sexy voluptous rabbit-creature and how pretty it is to how it's an abomination against god and man.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Dahlia's quest made me wonder if the blade quests were also done by the artists. Or at least if the artists said "Okay this is the sort of thing we want" and it got written around.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: wrong thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 22, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Taear posted:

Dahlia's quest made me wonder if the blade quests were also done by the artists. Or at least if the artists said "Okay this is the sort of thing we want" and it got written around.

I wonder what guidelines they gave the guest artists, if they told them OK we want you to design an elemental creature based around water/fire/ice etc or if they were like OK we want you to draw a fetish creature, artist's choice as to what fetish

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

In unrelated news, I popped Perun finally from a Rare with Truth booster. No more blades to get for the moment, and I'm not going to bother farming chips til there's new blades to get with DLC or whatever.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
(Orb Master)

IcePhoenix posted:

I've probably rolled it more than I think but I rarely ever actually look at blades that aren't 4*. I did see it on a couple 3* blades but iirc it only went to level 3 so meh.

I just got my first orb master blade (3*; I have almost no 4s). How do I actually use her? Does she need to do the combo, or will she add an orb when somebody else does one?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have Dagas on Zeke and when I used Dagas' lv IV special, Zeke legit said "Welcome to axe town, population: your face!"

Sometimes his ridiculousness warms my cold, dead heart.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So do you think Rex will replace Shulk in the theoretical Smash Bros 5 or is the game big enough for Shulk, Rex, and his dual waifu

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean imagine a bunch of blades as assist trophies
loving Poppi comes in beating your rear end

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Shulk and Rex/Pyra/Mythra seem like thye play pretty differently, I think there's room for both. And yeah, a Poppi assist would be pretty cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Put Morag in smash, capcom.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Did the update change the drop tables? I spent like half an hour farming Vampire Bride Marion and only got silver chips, no gold chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Nothing makes me wish I had never bought this game quite as much as sitting through 70 core activations- 5 legendary and 19 rare cores in the stack- and not only not getting a unique, but also having only 3 out of all of them worth keeping after tedious culling.
I am not touching whatever is next if this gatcha fuckshow is in it too.