Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i remember reading one of those lists of web design "dark patterns" and realizing that linkedin does every single one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

LinkedIn is both the best site for job searches in my experience and objectively a total garbage website in every way. their app is awful too.

i've had zero replies to LinkedIn job applications and ~26 on Angel List

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Out of curiosity because someone mentioned it earlier, I looked at what a machine learning PhD gets funded at UBC Vancouver. The answer is 24k Canadian dollars a year. Lol. I knew PhD was basically slave labour, but dang that's feudal. I have a better idea though, send out h1b applications to the bay area every year for 5 years and eventually get a job that pays hundreds of thousands.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

do you get to live in a cheap rear end dorm at least

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

no, don’t

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
i get all my jobs on angelfire

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

why

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

do you get to live in a cheap rear end dorm at least

No, the UBC campus is 870 ish a month I've heard. The stipend is literally just enough to keep you living, presuming you never drink, never eat out, never go anywhere but work and home, and eat cheap rear end vegetables every meal.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qhat posted:

No, the UBC campus is 870 ish a month I've heard. The stipend is literally just enough to keep you living, presuming you never drink, never eat out, never go anywhere but work and home, and eat cheap rear end vegetables every meal.

that is completely hosed up, but i guess i shouldn't be surprised. a million people in Canada make even less than that working full time. maybe you can also take out a student? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

every company that contacted me from there was a dudebro ceo ideas guy with no understanding of what it takes to do what he wants. and lol at taking shares in lieu of real money.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

that is completely hosed up, but i guess i shouldn't be surprised. a million people in Canada make even less than that working full time. maybe you can also take out a student? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fyi it's literally the minimum wage. Speaking of which, when was the last time anyone ever heard of a revolutionary technology coming out of Canada? Lol.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

every company that contacted me from there was a dudebro ceo ideas guy with no understanding of what it takes to do what he wants. and lol at taking shares in lieu of real money.

i just filter it by 6 figgies and up, then there's no equity-only stuff. but yeah my career has been almost entirely dudebros paying me last year's bonus to make the next facebook.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

qhat posted:

Out of curiosity because someone mentioned it earlier, I looked at what a machine learning PhD gets funded at UBC Vancouver. The answer is 24k Canadian dollars a year. Lol. I knew PhD was basically slave labour, but dang that's feudal. I have a better idea though, send out h1b applications to the bay area every year for 5 years and eventually get a job that pays hundreds of thousands.

Lots of midwestern universities top out at about 20-22k USD. I have a ~prestigious nasa fellowship~ and make 24k. For about 7 more days.

That salary review for San Fransisco is interesting... I'll soon have my PhD and definitely the background. Anyone recommend a way to get a salary investigation more comprehensive than glassdoor and the like for any given area?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m thinking of throwing “AI” and “ML” on my resumé even though I know jack poo poo about those (I have some talking points I can run with) just to see what the LinkedIn response will be.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Kudaros posted:

Lots of midwestern universities top out at about 20-22k USD. I have a ~prestigious nasa fellowship~ and make 24k. For about 7 more days.

That salary review for San Fransisco is interesting... I'll soon have my PhD and definitely the background. Anyone recommend a way to get a salary investigation more comprehensive than glassdoor and the like for any given area?

have you done any internships yet?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

I’m thinking of throwing “AI” and “ML” on my resumé even though I know jack poo poo about those (I have some talking points I can run with) just to see what the LinkedIn response will be.

so far all i've had are lovely recruiters

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

so far all i've had are lovely recruiters

As opposed to?

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Emacs Headroom posted:

have you done any internships yet?

No. I'm in a really weird spot. Between economic and family situation and my original desires (NASA Postdoctoral Program, UCAR/NCAR Postdoctoral thing, some national labs positions) are at odds with said situation. There is a time limit from the moment you receive your PhD to apply for some of these postdocs, so I was hoping to work in industry for 1-2 years and give it a go, as a compromise.

Do you have any recommendations for internships? Why do you ask?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you are set on using assembly why don't you try applying to be a reverse engineer at an infosec company? i hear there is good money to be made there and there is a talent shortage\

e: also from personal experience inforsec people are mostly approachable on twitter. you can get your foot the door in that way.

i ~dabble~ a bit in RE stuff and uh maybe the celebrities are but the regular people who just know enough to be a nuisance are the absolute loving worst

virtually every single one of then is That Kid who didn't get laid in high school and got pushed around by the popular kids, their personality gets stuck at the high schooler level and they take their frustrations out on the world by smashing peoples' windows and gloating about it. i do know a couple of people in the business who aren't petty sociopaths though so maybe i'll look into that as a career move later on but i mean from what i've seen so far it's very off-putting

also i'm not particularly good

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Kudaros posted:

Do you have any recommendations for internships? Why do you ask?

It's tougher to break in these days I think, with a large number of specialized ML PhDs coming on the scene (and Deep Mind / Google Brain / FAIR can't hire all of them).

I think an internship at a recognizable company is a really good idea if you want to move toward the ML / AI side of things. You can probably get hired as a "data scientist" (an "a-type" data scientist, that is) without an internship, but the role might be more skewed toward Business Intelligence (running SQL, making dashboards, analyzing A/B tests) and won't be as competitive on money.

Internship is also useful to benchmark the current market -- you'll be able to network with other people in your spot, and see what offers they're getting, etc.

edit: what is your field btw? climate stuff I'm guessing? fluid dynamics wouldn't be useful to most industries, but time series definitely would

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 23, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

i got like a 19% payrise last week, and 16% bonus, but still feel pretty underpaid

i wonder what H1B options are available these days, might be interesting to go work in the us for a year or two while ive got no hard ties here yet

always seemed like amazon was the best way to go for foreigners wanting to work in usa tech

you want to work on H1B for a year or two. what if you decide in that time you want to stay? say, make some friends, become attached to an area, maybe get into a relationship?

if you can even get through the H1B lottery then sure, go for it, but god help you if you decide to go for a green card. with the caveat that i oscillated between disliking and outright loathing my H1B job for the past four years the whole thing took an immense hit on my mental health given that everything had the potential to go up in smoke right up until the very final step of the process concluded (and even then technically you want a 6-24 month buffer afterwards)

if you like the place where you work then i guess it can be ok but it literally takes years and years. less than two is almost unheard of unless you're a fairly senior manager at a big firm, and in practice it could take something like four.

also bear in mind when and if(!!!) you get the green card the valve promptly flips into the opposite direction and you're stuck here. you can't leave for >6 months without asking permission first or you run the risk of losing the green card. five years of that until you can get citizenship.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tbh a lot of permanent residence is similar. In Canada you become ineligible for citizenship for another 3 years if you leave for >6 months and you can lose PR entirely if you leave for more than 3 years. Not as bad as the USA, but citizenship isn't something countries give out lightly.

qhat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 23, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the way we do postdocs at my workplace always feels weird; like they get paid nothing and are in a pretty exploitable position but at the same time they could just apply to a real job here and get paid more and do the same thing...

like i dont understand why we have a postdoc program outside of legacy reasons

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyone else itt super bad at their current job and just kind of winging it until the jig is up

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the fun thing is is I can't tell if Im super bad at my current job :thumbsup:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

the fun thing is is I can't tell if Im super bad at my current job :thumbsup:

actually this is probably more accurate

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Emacs Headroom posted:

It's tougher to break in these days I think, with a large number of specialized ML PhDs coming on the scene (and Deep Mind / Google Brain / FAIR can't hire all of them).

I think an internship at a recognizable company is a really good idea if you want to move toward the ML / AI side of things. You can probably get hired as a "data scientist" (an "a-type" data scientist, that is) without an internship, but the role might be more skewed toward Business Intelligence (running SQL, making dashboards, analyzing A/B tests) and won't be as competitive on money.

Internship is also useful to benchmark the current market -- you'll be able to network with other people in your spot, and see what offers they're getting, etc.

edit: what is your field btw? climate stuff I'm guessing? fluid dynamics wouldn't be useful to most industries, but time series definitely would

My background is actually in condensed matter experiment, more formally. Through my physics masters I worked on carbon nanostructures and more 'soft matter' stuff involving fluids at the nanoscale. Lots of spectroscopy. I did a lot of simulations too with the theory group and that eventually led me, in a weird way, to getting my PhD in the electrical engineering department where my dissertation topic has to do with clustering, classifying, and ultimately predicting performance changes in human physiology using mostly time-series signals, like EMG. It turns out this blend is great for studying aerosols and I have a proposal and a contact for a NASA postdoc, but the posting was pulled due to funding concerns last year. So that's on hold or out of the picture depending on how pessimistic I am at the moment. I had things lined up already and was too busy to adjust my strategy, so here I am.

I'll talk to some people about internships. Most seem to require that I be in pursuit of my PhD, which is true on paper until May. One of my committee members is one of the 80s neural network guys with strong connections, so I'll talk to them too. People in my program tend to end up at Facebook or Apple it seems, but I'm also not quite strictly ML or CV like them.

Thanks for the advice

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

my bitter bi rival posted:

anyone else itt super bad at their current job and just kind of winging it until the jig is up

This is everyone all the time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

my bitter bi rival posted:

let me spoil the ending for you: they never find out. you just keep on doing your job or change jobs and go be bad there for a while forever.

also this

qhat posted:

This is everyone all the time

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
quit job update: I’ve been working on my car, hiking, playing video games and exploring my town in the middle of the day since I quit Wednesday last week. feels loving great.

I also just got a few weeks of more well-paid and easy embedded contract work! I’m not so unemployed after all... I hope I can get some more of it when I’m in Taiwan. thankfully their dev board is like the size of a raspberry pi and not a motherboard so I can bring it easily.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

we had a guy come in to interview two or three hours early and we couldnt just do it early so he was told to come back at the scheduled time. he had applied two years prior but didn't have as much experience then and didnt get an interview. before this he passed the tech screen and another non technical test. so he had a pretty good chance of being hired. he also seemed a little underdressed but that is not a big deal in general, wearing headphones and a casual outfit with a flannel, and he seemed really jittery and imo probably high. some people are just really nervous though and normally it wouldn't be alarming.

then we are pretty sure he sprayed mace in the bathroom and left. it didn't smell like pepper spray but it makes you cough, and there was green residue on the bathrooms walls. never had anything even close to this happen before. wtf. i don't understand if this was an accident, or if the guy did it on purpose because ??? or really what this stuff even is

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
uh maybe call the cops? unidentified irritant in the bathroom is kinda scary

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Emacs Headroom posted:

uh maybe call the cops? unidentified irritant in the bathroom is kinda scary

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
every interview ive had i always wore a suit and at every job people always remark about me being overdressed for the interview

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I wore a suit only when I really needed a job and I knew very little about the company. I had no problem asking the expected dress anyway.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I mean this is regional obvs but in the UK and the Midwest/New Jersey I've always worn a suit for interviews and that always turned out to be the correct choice.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a suit is correct or at least not wrong unless you are interviewing at some weird west coast dudebro shop in which case rethink your job application entirely

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Captain Foo posted:

a suit is correct or at least not wrong unless you are interviewing at some weird west coast dudebro shop in which case rethink your job application entirely

💯 :agreed:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

a suit is never appropriate on the west coast unless you’re a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you can, and should, ask the recruiter what the appropriate interview garb is. this is a totally normal thing to do.

some places really, really want a suit

others will give you the stink eye

it costs you nothing to just ask