Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I wonder if any of that is due to the holidays. I got my aunt and uncle a couple months subscription for Christmas, and know lots of people who gave Netflix gift cards as gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I wonder if any of that is due to the holidays.

A large part of it is that they're finally gaining a foothold in international territories (where they spent a fuckton of money over the last ~6 quarters building out).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’m sure it’s a perfect storm of the gift card thing, the amount of original content growing and the prestige of that content and the fact that more old people understand smart TVs and fire sticks, etc. now.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

My wife asked me to DVR this just because she was hoping for some accuracy in a medical show. She probably feels the same watching any movie/tv show with anyone in the hospital that I do the moment anyone opens a laptop. She needs a medical Mr. Robot.

The high watermark is still Scrubs. Dick weeds like the eponymous Resident usually get drummed out if they are that big of an rear end to a department chief, even if the resident is in the right. Accuracy in BLS be dammed, the show's a bit of a fantasy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

lol the main actor (Simon Templar?) is the tenth billed name on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2569088/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I was trying to think "Who would be the best actor to play the Saint?" and I kept looping back around to late 90s Pierce Brosnan. Maybe he should've been in the Saint movie from 1997 and Val Kilmer should've been Thomas Crowne. :v:

Current actors: I used to have this fanfiction idea where Simon Templar played by Henry Cavill gets home to his penthouse when he's confronted by Tom Hiddleston in a bowler hat with an umbrella who wants to talk to him to "the Avengers initiative".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I just found out that Season 2 of Nirvanna The Band The Show started airing like 4 months ago. Can't believe I missed this. Anyone watch it?

Escobarbarian posted:

Fleabag is awesome, is that even ever coming back, I guess whatsherface was busy with Solo

2019 :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Fleabag is awesome, is that even ever coming back, I guess whatsherface was busy with Solo

It's coming back, Waller-Bridge is working on another new show as well though (Killing Eve with Sandra Oh), so that's why it's delayed as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, The Alienist is one expensive looking show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone should make The Wire of medical dramas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Patient: Doctor, what's wrong with me?
Doctor: You have AIDS
Patient: Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

OBAMACARE COMIN'

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Man, The Alienist is one expensive looking show.

Yeah, it was gorgeous. Really brought the era to life. I read the novel (and its sequel, The Angel of Darkness) over 20 years ago, loved them, and I've been waiting for a movie adaptation ever since. This started off slow, but I have sky-high hopes for it to be great.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I was craving some more period drama so I gave Turn: Washington's Spies a chance. I think I only made it through the first 2, but it seems decent enough. There are 4 seasons on Netflix, does this show get really bad or anything? I hate the empty feeling of not having a good show to watch at night, so I'm low key excited to have found something several seasons long I haven't watched yet. Speaking of shows like that(several seasons currently out), I really need to try Rectify again at some point. The first episode bored me to tears.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turn gets better with each passing season. Stick with it. You won't be sorry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yep, Turn is often overlooked but it's remarkably solid and well made television with a few standout performances

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I guess a lot of people wanted to watch Bright

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wandle Cax posted:

I guess a lot of people wanted to watch Bright

If you just jump in head first and accept that Bright is a Lord of the Rings sequel set 2000 years later, its actually a fun movie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

OBAMACARE COMIN'

Nice.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
So apparently Sam Esmail and Mark Frost interviewed each other for a podcast, which is cool: http://www.talkhouse.com/sam-esmail-mr-robot-talks-mark-frost-twin-peaks-talkhouse-podcast-2/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I think if more shows were one and done self contained episodes with ongoing plots shoved way way way in the background like God intended, no one would be complaining about pacing issues.

A-loving-men brother.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit, it can be nice sometimes going back to older shows that just have one story per week and don't worry too much about some sort of overarching narrative.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

swickles posted:

If you just jump in head first and accept that Bright is a Lord of the Rings sequel set 2000 years later, its actually a fun movie.

As hard as the media went negative against the movie, it was pretty much a straight up popcorn movie that probably would've done really well at the cinema. Netflix has been poo poo talking the critics pretty heavily in the last 24 hours as being detached from what makes something commercially popular.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good thing the job of a critic is to evaluate a work and not its mass appeal.

I think a good movie exists inside of Bright, but the one we got is not that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

That's pretty much The Knick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man the Knick is so good

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

zoux posted:

Oh man the Knick is so good

I rewatched it a couple of weeks ago, that show deserves all the praise and then some. Also controversial statement: It is the best looking TV show ever made. Also the show with the best score ever made.

Different TV show: I just started season 2 of Van Helsing. Someone on the production team obviously watched Road House between seasons. God I love this dumb show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mobby_6kl posted:

That's pretty much The Knick.

Been meaning to see that but some of the surgery stuff just looked so gross. I love Soderbergh though and apparently his Mosaic miniseries on HBO is fantastic. It just started airing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah they don't flinch at the surgery gore at all.

Popelmon posted:

I rewatched it a couple of weeks ago, that show deserves all the praise and then some. Also controversial statement: It is the best looking TV show ever made. Also the show with the best score ever made.

Different TV show: I just started season 2 of Van Helsing. Someone on the production team obviously watched Road House between seasons. God I love this dumb show.

It's gorgeous, but that's all Soderberg. I believe in addition to directing and editing he was also the principle camera operator.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Knick is one of those shows I only remember I need to watch when I’m neck-deep in something else

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Yeah they don't flinch at the surgery gore at all.

It's gorgeous, but that's all Soderberg. I believe in addition to directing and editing he was also the principle camera operator.

Soderbergh is almost always his own cinematographer, under the stage name Peter Andrews.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

I think if more shows were one and done self contained episodes with ongoing plots shoved way way way in the background like God intended, no one would be complaining about pacing issues.

Lost broke the brains of a generation so anything that is not part of some multi-year mytharc makes them start gibbering about procedurals.

Hakkesshu posted:

Good thing the job of a critic is to evaluate a work and not its mass appeal.

I think a good movie exists inside of Bright, but the one we got is not that.

"What if there was a cop movie where racial stereotypes were coded to fantasy creatures?" - Max Landis, boy genius

I don't think it was a terrible movie, it was certainly watchable and I didn't feel like my time was wasted, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 23, 2018

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Alienist was aggressively OK. It looks good but there is absolutely nothing special about it, at least in episode 1. If it stays like this I'd rather re-watch Copper.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Lost broke the brains of a generation so anything that is not part of some multi-year mytharc makes them start gibbering about procedurals.

I think it’s more that shows like Lost, 24, The Sopranos, and The Wire, as well as the rise of binging such plot-heavy shows, showed that younger audiences want season long plot arcs. I’d agree that there’s still room for one off episodes and shows that strike a balance somewhere (Person of Interest and the first few seasons of Fringe are key examples here). I was honestly surprised that Jessica Jones had a season long arc, since the comic it’s based on is composed of three-four issue arcs (which would roughly equate to an hour of tv each), but I felt it told the story it wanted to tell well.

Really the big issue is that some (most) shows have a hard time making an arc work across an entire season, and if they add one or two episodes in the middle, idiots complain about “filler”. I think we’re getting there though, as more and more 6-10 episode “miniseries” are being made.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 23, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like long plot arcs over MotW procedurals.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'd like to see a show that consists of several 3-6 episode arcs over a season.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Iron Crowned posted:

Let me introduce you to a little show called Agents of SHIELD...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Might I suggest to you 24?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I should have said I'd also like it to be a good show

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

The UK seasons of Strike Back do this pretty well,the first season was two episode arcs, but each episode was 90ish minutes. This new season is 2 5 episode arcs and the first one was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Iron Crowned posted:

I should have said I'd also like it to be a good show

Agents of Shield is TVIV's #10 show of 2017