Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Uhhhhhhhh there's probably some kind of beginner guides. Just check YouTube for "beginner league of Legends season 8"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Nightgull posted:

Doing some reading right now. Jungling is a dedicated role like carry or support. That's pretty neat. I'm not sure what guide to use. The kotaku one I'm reading is from 2015. Does anyone have a more relevant guide, though I'm not sure many things have changed. Turns out I have an account from a long time ago, when a few friends and I tried the game at a gaming place. I wonder what I've got (probably nothing). I think I played amumu and had no idea what was happening.

Most guides are going to be on the wrong patch or worse, I'd recommend youtubing "league jungling season 8" to get an idea of what you should be doing. As a really basic introduction:

Spud's lovely guide to jungling:

- Buy either jungling item depending on your champion - mages and AP characters will start with the Hunter's Talisman, melee bruisers and other autoattackers will usually start Machete. You need one or the other to upgrade your smite, so this is usually non-negotiable for start. Buy as many health potions as you can with remaining gold, and a ward trinket.

- Proceed to your bottom buff (closest one to botlane). If your teammates aren't garbage your botlane should be waiting there to help you. Be aware that you may want to drop a ward somewhere if your laners aren't helping as an invade will destroy you. Start there, using a health pot/smite if you need to. Certain champs that are high-sustain will not need to worry about this, others heavily rely on the extra hp/smite healing.

- Now you are level 2. Check lanes - if yours are heavily pushed by the enemy consider an early gank, but usually go get your second buff anyway because it's a gambit 90% of the time. Go get wolves or Gromp as they are very easy even at low levels. Raptors usually hurt a lot at this point, but certain champs fare better than others.

- After second buff, check your lanes for any gank opportunities. At level 3 you should have your full ability set, go try and wreck someone. I like to try to get the top rift scuttler as it gives me decent positioning to respond with a countergank if their jungle shows top or mid. If all three lanes are pushed towards the enemy, your ganks will usually be ineffective until level 6 or so. Go get Gromp or Raptors, possibly the stupid rock things.

After the start, you need to remember to try to gank -> farm -> gank -> farm. You should be getting both buffs, gromp, wolves, and raptors pretty much whenever they come up and you are nearby/moving past them. I usually avoid the rocks unless I really have nothing better to do since I take forever to kill them because I'm bad. Obviously this takes a lot of paying attention to the minimap so you don't ignore someone dying just offscreen to get 100gp of farm, but you will get better as you do it more. I try to maintain vision control and since farming is really easy as jungle, spend that time watching the minimap for threats and pinging them.

Alternatively don't do any of this, play as nunu, farm the enemy jungle and laugh as they are level 3 at 8 minutes.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Uhhhhhhhh there's probably some kind of beginner guides. Just check YouTube for "beginner league of Legends season 8"

I'm at work, so videos are useless. A lot of the season 8 guides I've found assume lots of knowledge that I don't have.

Is Kindred forced to jungle. What makes a good jungler, my dota memories tell me sustain is the most important. And some kind of aoe. If I go to lane, all I know is no denying CS. What's the difference between mid and top lane. Why do carries need to be run bot. What does dragon do. Is baron like roshan. These are all questions I have.

There's so much information to process. I like this aspect of mobas, to be honest, I've missed it. Sorry if I'm asking too many easily googled questions, I find it hard to evaluate sources for this sort of game. Since back in the day you had to be really careful about guides as the majority were terrible and stupid.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

What level is your account? You can't really jungle until you get the Summoner Spell Smite. If you aren't there, grind until you are hah

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nightgull posted:

Doing some reading right now. Jungling is a dedicated role like carry or support. That's pretty neat. I'm not sure what guide to use. The kotaku one I'm reading is from 2015. Does anyone have a more relevant guide, though I'm not sure many things have changed. Turns out I have an account from a long time ago, when a few friends and I tried the game at a gaming place. I wonder what I've got (probably nothing). I think I played amumu and had no idea what was happening.

as one of the best amumu players of all time, amumu is a great character to play and very versatile in build options with a few tricks you can use to optimize his play. amumu is the soft hoodie of junglers, you can use amumu pretty much any time and it is more or less alright

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kindred is a pretty unusual champion in that you have a special mechanic that only really works in the jungle role. Most champions aren't hard-forced into roles like that but she is. she's not really a good introduction to the game at all since she functions a bit differently from both other junglers and other carries, but hey, play what you want.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Nightgull posted:

Is Kindred forced to jungle. What makes a good jungler, my dota memories tell me sustain is the most important. And some kind of aoe. If I go to lane, all I know is no denying CS. What's the difference between mid and top lane. Why do carries need to be run bot. What does dragon do. Is baron like roshan. These are all questions I have.

Kindred scales partially off of farming her passive which grants her large combat bonuses for taking specific jungle camps and killing people, which is generally easier to do as a jungler than a laner. She had been played mid and bot occasionally after her initial release, however now she only really sees sporadic play in the jungle after they reworked her passive.

Good junglers clear camps fast and have cc/strong damage to setup kills on opposing laners. For example, champs like Alistar, Bard, Taric are really good at the latter but are too slow at clearing camps to be viable as junglers. Also taking creeps after you gank and get a kill/force the enemy out of lane is optimal if you can shove the minion wave to the enemy tower as it denies gold and xp.

Mid lane is for roaming assassins and immobile laners because it's location and short length make it safer and gives access to sidelanes. Top lane tends to be bruisers and tanks because they have the skills and/or durability to survive moving from river to the (relative) safety of tower.

Bot lane meta tilts toward ad carries because you want your duo lane to be on the side of the map with early objectives like dragon so you have the numbers to contest. AD carries also tend to scale more off of gold/items than levels so they are less impacted by the xp loss of sharing a lane than a mage like Ziggs or Viktor.

Dragon gives the team that takes it permanent buffs to dmg, hp/mp regen, out of combat movement speed and turret/minion/monster dmg depending on the type. Baron gives gold and a temporary buff that grants bonus magic/physical dmg and empowers nearby minions to make them stronger. Baron is for forcing fights, taking towers/inhibitors.

e: Also if you are new to jungling or struggling with the role, take either Fleet Footwork or Unsealed Spellbook as your keystone, they help a lot with early clearing/sustain and Spellbook in particular has opened/re-opened the jungle to more non-traditional jungle picks like Zyra, Brand and Morgana.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 22, 2018

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Speaking of denying last hits in dota, this actually IS a mechanic in League and it's called the enemy turret. If you can win fights against your opponent but don't have kill pressure, shoving the lane and forcing your enemy to compete with their turret for last hits can build you a sizeable gold advantage

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nightgull posted:

I'm at work, so videos are useless. A lot of the season 8 guides I've found assume lots of knowledge that I don't have.

There's so much information to process. I like this aspect of mobas, to be honest, I've missed it. Sorry if I'm asking too many easily googled questions, I find it hard to evaluate sources for this sort of game. Since back in the day you had to be really careful about guides as the majority were terrible and stupid.

A good jungler in my opinion needs to be able to gank, this means either having a shitton of crowd control to stop the gank target getting away while your laner kills them (most tank junglers like Amumu or Sejuani) or having loads of burst damage so they're dead before they know what the gently caress (Kindred, Evelynn).

Dragons fall into 5 categories. The 4 elemental drakes give your whole team a buff and spawn randomly before 30 minutes (no more than 3 of each). So infernal drake gives you a damage buff, mountain buffs your damage to objectives (towers, inhibitors, dragons and baron), cloud boosts your out of combat movement speed and ocean increases your health regen. Then having multiple of each dragon makes that buff stronger. Then after 30 minutes the next dragon to spawn will be the elder dragon, a bigger one that gives you a huge damage buff for 2 and a half minutes based on how many dragons your team has killed.

Baron spawns at 20 minutes and gives every member of your team a buff if they're alive when it's killed for 3 and a half minutes. This is a small damage boost but also buffs any minions when you're near them to make it easier to take down towers since they do more damage and take less. However if you die you lose the buff so baron is about killing it -and- getting your team out alive.

Something else worth mentioning is that there's a training mode in the game, so if you're wondering about a champ's jungle viability just go in there and practice jungle clearing and fighting against camps or just practice last hitting. And if you're wondering where a champion usually goes go to an analytics site like OP.gg and it'll tell you where people are playing that champ right now as well as give you stuff like common item builds and rune pages.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 22, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

This is why you take presence of mind on Taric btw. https://m.twitch.tv/videos/221062240?t=01h19m12s

If it didn't have commentators I'd be sure that it was just a solo queue game with one team being challenger with the other being gold with all the positional errors.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If it didn't have commentators I'd be sure that it was just a solo queue game with one team being challenger with the other being gold with all the positional errors.

The first game was fairly close but we were winning in all lanes that game too. I think both teams were 4/5ths diamond.

I think the enemies just tilted off after our jungler snowballed both games. He was master last season

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Hey night gul. I'm also new. Enjoying top but watch a huge amount of content so hit me up if you want to work through newbie stuff together rather than bothering people who have said it a million times.

Also ls (imls on twtich) does a lot of coaching in jungle and is apparently a big deal in coaching? He does a guy who just started playing zacc as well which might be really helpful.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Hey night gul. I'm also new. Enjoying top but watch a huge amount of content so hit me up if you want to work through newbie stuff together rather than bothering people who have said it a million times.

Also ls (imls on twtich) does a lot of coaching in jungle and is apparently a big deal in coaching? He does a guy who just started playing zacc as well which might be really helpful.

For top I really enjoy Solo Renekton Only. He goes full clickbait for titles but that's just to game the system, the videos are quality and class

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Nightgull posted:

Is Kindred forced to jungle.

Usually but they're also played mid and ADC (albeit rarely).

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Prokhor posted:

For top I really enjoy Solo Renekton Only. He goes full clickbait for titles but that's just to game the system, the videos are quality and class

By the hammer of Hephaestus, you weren't kidding.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
this one weird build discovered by a bald man that riot doesn't want you to know

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

have you seen my baby posted:

Speaking of denying last hits in dota, this actually IS a mechanic in League and it's called the enemy turret. If you can win fights against your opponent but don't have kill pressure, shoving the lane and forcing your enemy to compete with their turret for last hits can build you a sizeable gold advantage

at some point players learn how to get every last hit at their tower or they dont get very far. that said, if you have kill pressure on someone, actually waiting until you build a wave and killing them under their tower/just before it gets there is the more reliable way to accomplish this

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Does a-click target lowest health enemies in this game vs. the closest enemies to where you clicked

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

strong bird posted:

Does a-click target lowest health enemies in this game vs. the closest enemies to where you clicked

I think there's a toggle in settings. One way is target closest to you and the other is closest to mouse.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

That's weird, because I a-clicked next to melee creeps in a wave and I started attacking the ranged creeps, which is neither closest to my hero or closest to where I clicked

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I have never ever a-clicked or `-clicked in this game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

I have never ever a-clicked or `-clicked in this game.

That's because you rebind `-click to t instead

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i just click a lot. i have pretty high APM so i can get away with it, but keep in mind i learned typing by trying to max out my score with mario teaches typing while ignoring the tutorial and now i have this bastard style of typing that nobody knows how it works so well so nobody should follow my instructions on how to do anything

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

i just click a lot. i have pretty high APM so i can get away with it, but keep in mind i learned typing by trying to max out my score with mario teaches typing while ignoring the tutorial and now i have this bastard style of typing that nobody knows how it works so well so nobody should follow my instructions on how to do anything

I got to diamond in starcraft 2 back when it was wings of liberty entirely by upping my apm to the amazingly high level of ~115~ (this is not high) and doing literally nothing but spamming unupgraded marines with ~98% theoretical efficiency

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

any junglers who are above plat 3 want to play in a tournament series on sunday nights at 6 CST

theres a prize pool if we get to playoffs and win

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pog boyfriend posted:

i honed my typing skills in the fires of playing gemstone 3, a mud. thats where my apm powers draw their power from

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

for real though if you want to train to be better at league of legends play cook serve delicious

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

pog boyfriend posted:

for real though if you want to train to be better at league of legends play cook serve delicious

It's hard to tell if you're being serious, because you post in the same style as weird Twitter.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Nightgull posted:

It's hard to tell if you're being serious, because you post in the same style as weird Twitter.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
He's not wrong, and I like Pog. Between him and Keven and the people that emulate them the thread can become unreadable for a while really fast

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

any junglers who are above plat 3 want to play in a tournament series on sunday nights at 6 CST

theres a prize pool if we get to playoffs and win

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I played this game a lot tonight, and I can say it is very fun. Kindred is hard, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Played a game with Ezreal

I don't like Ezreal, at least not doing the klepto build

This has been my important thought next I'm gonna try vayn

Also I'm comparing this to MF who is insanely fun

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not really fair to compare other ADCs to the most fun adc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Addamere posted:

not really fair to compare other ADCs to the most fun adc

They didn't say anything about Varus though?

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I just want to say I like big, heavily armored guys a lot and Mordekaiser did not live up to that fantasy. Darius was really fun. But he seems very easy to run away from, and the Gnar I defeated in lane was even worse than me somehow. Darius Q is hard to hit sometimes.

I think next I will try Orn, or Illaoi. The bird girl also seems neat. Rayah? I like her aesthetic, though not as much as Kindred. Hopefully the next time Kindred is available, I'll be good enough to make use of her properly. I don't mean that in a creepy way, even though it sounds like it. I should probably go to sleep but I'm going to play Illaoi. Wish me luck, my new friends.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
Looks like Horton has been speaking to my ex.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

The best ADC is!!!

pantheon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't think I'd mind so many stopwatches in every game if the inspiration tree had actual choices of what to take, stopwatch and free boots compete against actual garbage so they are the default choice when going inspiration.