Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Feb 12th is APU day. 2200G looks like a nice HTPC / mining apu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pixaal posted:

I'd rather see folding at home turned into some kind of buttcoin like currency so the mining would actually do something and people could trade them on the value that they did something good and there is a limited amount of research.

This is impossible.

The tasks folding at home, seti@home, etc do are things that can't be verified without the verifier doing the same processing all over again. Meanwhile bitcoin mining type things are designed so that the person doing the "work" takes a lot of time to do it, but I can come over and verify it by running a way faster function to compare things.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

butters buying these and am4 mobos en masse would be a pretty huge masterstroke

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Risky Bisquick posted:

Default support for 2933 MHz, too! That implies some IMC tweaking, which is great. Tom's are thinking that there might be some L2/L3 latency improvements like Threadripper has as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-raven-ridge-apu-specifications,36375.html

2400G, 2x4GB 2933MHz RAM, VESA mount-able ITX case, and tweaking with some voltages is going to be a really fun platform for a lot of folks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Friend sent me this image, with no info on where it was found - I'll post the source when he gets back to me.

Raven ridge IMC die shot vs Zen die shot, they look very different - could easily be fake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 23, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dont the graphics share the same IMC though? i dunno how cpu design works really

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

If ECC support gets straightened out I might do some upgrading to my little home server box.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Friend sent me this image, with no info on where it was found - I'll post the source when he gets back to me.

Raven ridge IMC die shot vs Zen die shot, they look very different - could easily be fake.

It's the same memory controller (rotate the bottom part of the Raven Ridge IMC 180 degrees to see what I mean) The Zeppelin dies have two memory controllers with the second going through IF and on AM4 the second one is just fused off and rendered unusable.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's the same memory controller (rotate the bottom part of the Raven Ridge IMC 180 degrees to see what I mean) The Zeppelin dies have two memory controllers with the second going through IF and on AM4 the second one is just fused off and rendered unusable.

Ahh k, thank you.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/GWQ74Fuyl4M

TL:DW: der8auer says that they're using real dies on TR. AMD says they're not electrically connected. der8auer delids Epyc 8c and TR 1920x showing distinct differences in components on surface. He has them X-Ray Epyc and TR by PCB analysis company. X-Ray shows that TR is electrically connected to all dies, including infinity fabrics between all dies. He speculates that AMD could be holding back on a 32c TR component.

He says that all his TR PCBs have the same 32200 code printed on them and the Epyc had 32188. Speculates it's PCB revision.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 26, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Reveal all the cores, Lisa!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SlayVus posted:

https://youtu.be/GWQ74Fuyl4M

TL:DW: der8auer says that they're using real dies on TR. AMD says they're not electrically connected. der8auer delids Epyc 8c and TR 1920x showing distinct differences in components on surface. He has them X-Ray Epyc and TR by PCB analysis company. X-Ray shows that TR is electrically connected to all dies, including infinity fabrics between all dies. He speculates that AMD could be holding back on a 32c TR component.

He says that all his TR PCBs have the same 32200 code printed on them and the Epyc had 32188. Speculates it's PCB revision.

No loving way

Hoooooooo boy my body is ready

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They might not be able to actually profitably package 32 working cores together for consumers until gloflo continues to unfuck yield issues?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright, let's watch this video....

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 26, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He really ripped PCper a new one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I wouldnt be surprised if they release a 32 core threadripper branded CPU at somepoint. I mean they already make a 4 die part, it's branded as Epyc.

But his assumption at the end that "you wouldn't need to change the motherboard" seems wrong to me. I'm 99% sure that the current x399 motherboards memory traces aren't the same as an Epyc boards (the dimm layout wouldn't work with 8 channels), and I imagine no motherboard manufacturer would have run the PCIe traces for the dead on TR4 pins.

So you would need a new 2nd gen board... which would just be a single socket SP3 board, like some partners already make, but with bonus awful gamer aesthetic.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
When 7nm comes around for sure. If nothing else than to put an absolute spike bat to Intel's testicular region pricing structure.

But yeah 32c/64t threadripper parts at 5.0 GHz holy fuuuuuuucckk.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Seamonster posted:

When 7nm comes around for sure. If nothing else than to put an absolute spike bat to Intel's testicular region pricing structure.

But yeah 32c/64t threadripper parts at 5.0 GHz holy fuuuuuuucckk.

I'd be more than happy if they could deliver 8c/16t at 5GHz, honestly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Okay, so I have watched the video now, and what he says is very convincing.... but it still leaves the question:

What the gently caress are (non-specific, generic, enthusiast-grade hardware-buying) YOU going to do with 32/64 outside of a server environment?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

SwissArmyDruid, Jan 26, 2008 posted:

Okay, so I have watched the video now, and what he says is very convincing.... but it still leaves the question:

What the gently caress are (non-specific, generic, enthusiast-grade hardware-buying) YOU going to do with 4 cores and 8gb RAM outside of a server environment?

Ftfy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Throw another eight GB of RAM into it, as well as a 1050ti and give the machine to the older of my two younger stepbrothers, so they both have modern machines. God help him, but the older one is kind of a loving idiot, and reminds me of me when I was his age. He let the younger one (who is sharp as a tack) take the brand new machine and start logging into everything.

I know I've responded to similar interrogatory statements before with "anything I drat well please", but given the state of the market, I'd almost- no, I'd absolutely give up half those 32 cores for onboard graphics, so I can finally put Windows 10 into its own, tiny little VM where it's safely secluded, and can't hurt anybody. My supporting Looking Glass is the endgame of that.

So, I know what my, certain, very-specific workload involving more than four cores is. What about the REST of the HEDT world?

Basically, what I'm asking for is a beefed-up Xeon E3, as opposed to why cant I, hold all these cores?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 28, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What the gently caress are (non-specific, generic, enthusiast-grade hardware-buying) YOU going to do with 32/64 outside of a server environment?

Hey if my 16 Core becomes a 32 Core you won't hear me complain. :) Vray and Unity like them some cores.

Are there any Epyc workstation boards yet?

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 26, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Have we talked about this? It puts into question how reliable of a source PC Perspective is since they've accepted money to write reviews and not disclosed it to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0ZzA9wTFE

AMD also had a 'buy' button on their website that included PC Perspective as an Amazon affiliate.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Where does der8auer get the money to do all this poo poo from? Making turbonerdy videos about the minutiae of CPU packaging can't be that lucrative.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Hey if my 16 Core becomes a 32 Core you won't hear me complain. :) Vray and Unity like them some cores.

Are there any Epyc workstation boards yet?

You mean like https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11SSL-i.cfm ? e: found on https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/AMD_SP3.cfm?pg=MOBO where they also list a dual socket if you can swing an E-ATX and have, I'm guessing, ~$20k to burn

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 26, 2018

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have trouble saturating my 4x 1080 Ti with my 16C/32T 1950X on certain specific ML workloads

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Measly Twerp posted:

Have we talked about this? It puts into question how reliable of a source PC Perspective is since they've accepted money to write reviews and not disclosed it to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0ZzA9wTFE

AMD also had a 'buy' button on their website that included PC Perspective as an Amazon affiliate.

Thats a hell of a thing. Thanks for the heads up though. I feel like some of this happened with the RX480 vs like 1060 when those cards came out. Mostly because I own both and the 480 is almost 2x faster in some games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

I feel like some of this happened with the RX480 vs like 1060 when those cards came out. Mostly because I own both and the 480 is almost 2x faster in some games.

Are you seriously implying there's a grand conspiracy amongst everyone who has ever compared the 480 and 1060, including random nobody YouTubers and forum posters, to fabricate results and hide the fact that the 480 is sometimes 2x faster.

Have you considered that maybe your 1060 is just broken :thunk:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redeyes posted:

Thats a hell of a thing. Thanks for the heads up though. I feel like some of this happened with the RX480 vs like 1060 when those cards came out. Mostly because I own both and the 480 is almost 2x faster in some games.

Turn on your monitor.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

redeyes posted:

Mostly because I own both and the 480 is almost 2x faster in some games.
Um what

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

We've been through this several times before. For some reason Redeye's GTX1060 runs Doom 4K at about half the speed of anyone else who's benchmarked Doom 4K on a 1060, and he's convinced that it's everyone else who is wrong or lying.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

We've been through this several times before. For some reason Redeye's GTX1060 runs Doom 4K at about half the speed of anyone else who's benchmarked Doom 4K on a 1060, and he's convinced that it's everyone else who is wrong or lying.

Other games too. The 480 has 256bit memory, the 1060 has 192 and that matters at 4k. My loving point was none of the reviews seemed to notice that at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Who cares how wide the memory bus is? Pascal doesn't need as much raw bandwidth as Polaris, it has far more effective delta compression plus tiled rasterization eliminates a lot of VRAM traffic entirely.

The fact that Vega56 is bandwidth-limited with 410GB/sec, yet the 1070ti exceeds its 4K performance with just 256GB/sec should make it obvious that Nvidia's bandwidth efficiency is on another level.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 26, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Throw another eight GB of RAM into it

Is 8GB that terrible now

Trying to figure out whether I should throw money at obsolete expensive DDR3 or upgrade a PC and invest in wildly expensive DDR4 is my new life.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I got an R7 1700 at launch and paid $110 for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4-2933, which I thought was expensive at the time. How much higher will it go before prices get back to reasonable levels again? I really want to upgrade to 32GB, but definitely can't justify it at these prices, even though my machine has started swapping at times when working with multiple VMs.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Um...hello? 32 is way bigger than 16. Like, twice as big, so I'm going to have twice as much fun.

GIMME!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

I got an R7 1700 at launch and paid $110 for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4-2933, which I thought was expensive at the time. How much higher will it go before prices get back to reasonable levels again? I really want to upgrade to 32GB, but definitely can't justify it at these prices, even though my machine has started swapping at times when working with multiple VMs.

It's never going back down. Welcome to the idiot hellfucker dimension where the cost of building a PC is going back to 1980s levels.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

It's never going back down. Welcome to the idiot hellfucker dimension where the cost of building a PC is going back to 1980s levels.

:smith:

On the other hand, while RAM prices are bad and stupid, they're the least of the worries we have in this bleak hellscape timeline.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I like how the first govt to say "hey, these chip prices are acting a bit unusually" is loving china

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

:smith:

On the other hand, while RAM prices are bad and stupid, they're the least of the worries we have in this bleak hellscape timeline.

Brilliant post/avatar combo.

And Truga has a good point. China's put on the Bubbles glasses and is saying "something's a bit fucky here, boys", which in and of itself is a bit fucky. Who knows what that's going to do about chip prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kazinsal posted:

We're already there with 64gb of ram, a HEDT cpu/mobo, and the best consumer gaming card