Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I said this during her announcement and people thought I was crazy, but Whittaker has this way of her face slowly lighting up in joy that is amazing to watch and absolutely 100% the Doctor.

e: aaaaaaaaaa where is the new series where is it

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also so far she's 2-for-2 in regards to Capaldi's costume looking absolutely perfect for her to wear as her regular outfit if she wanted to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure she'll sport a few different outfits as that's the norm these days. Hell Twelve rarely wore the same thing twice!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hated that sweater with the holes in it that 12 wore, and then even more horrified that it actually belonged to Calpaldi

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The holey sweater was better than the Noel Edmonds shirt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I hated that sweater with the holes in it that 12 wore, and then even more horrified that it actually belonged to Calpaldi

I used to think it had some weird lint-like stuff on it as a design, and it was really distracting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The 3rd Diary of River Song just released.

I am falling so far behind with Big Finish and it sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

poo poo I'm still only halfway through the War Master release, have the First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, The 4th Doctor Adventures, Dark Eyes, Doom Coalition, The Time War etc to listen to AND the monthly range.

If I keep up my old strategy of listening to stuff when I'm at the gym, by the time I get caught up I'm gonna be a muscle golem.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Capaldi’s holey sweater and James May shirt were both excellent :argh:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Capaldi’s holey sweater and James May shirt were both excellent :argh:

:agreed:

He was hoping for minimalism, but he came up with magician.

Everything in 12's wardrobe was great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

My mother's been ill, so I'm six months behind on my BF, and I get a lot of stuff from them. On the plus side, I'll be able to listen to all of Torchwood: Aliens Among Us and Blake's 7: Crossfire, all in one go.

(Just finished up vol 2 of The First Doctor Companion Chronicles boxset, and holy hell, "Across a Darkened City", with Steven and a Dalek, is f'n AMAZING.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

I used to think it had some weird lint-like stuff on it as a design, and it was really distracting.

I hated the Swiss cheese shirt, also the hideous trousers he wore in The Girl Who Died. Those are the only times I've been driven to distraction by what the actor was wearing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

(Just finished up vol 2 of The First Doctor Companion Chronicles boxset, and holy hell, "Across a Darkened City", with Steven and a Dalek, is f'n AMAZING.)

While I won't disagree that that story was awesome, I feel like BF has gone to the "the one good Dalek, we swear" well a few too many times in recent memory.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo I'm still only halfway through the War Master release, have the First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, The 4th Doctor Adventures, Dark Eyes, Doom Coalition, The Time War etc to listen to AND the monthly range.

If I keep up my old strategy of listening to stuff when I'm at the gym, by the time I get caught up I'm gonna be a muscle golem.

War Master was great. Best part was Jacobi in the Special Features "So when can I come back?" :swoon:

Took a break from DW to get the latest Prisoner release, started it today. Holy Hell I'd forgotten just how well Elatob channels McGoohan, just nails his stattaco cadence and vocal mannerisms. If anything, I think he's gotten better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

War Master was great.

The utterly callous and unnecessary way he wraps up the first story was so excellently handled as well. It wasn't even anything personal, he just did it because it would have been incredibly minorly inconvenient to do even the neutral option.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

While I won't disagree that that story was awesome, I feel like BF has gone to the "the one good Dalek, we swear" well a few too many times in recent memory.

I just got done reading a short story with Ace and Seven where they gently caress up the universe trying to get out of a temporal zone and end up turning the entire dalek race into a force for peace and enlightenment. Seven has to go back and undo it before the universe implodes with Ace screaming at him the entire time not to. :discourse:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love the end of the one War Doctor story where he changes the evolutionary path of both Daleks and Time Lords who were trapped in an eternal battlefield so they are all genetically predisposed to live in peace and harmony.... only for the Kaleds to just constantly be on the verge of flying into homicidal rages anyway until it all reaches a boiling point and they change back to Daleks and start killing the poo poo out of everything again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hit the death of Rory (for real this time serious!) and while it was a pretty enjoyable two-parter, it had a lot of odd writing issues that Jersualem mentioned in his writeup. Still have no clue what the point about the bodies disappearing then never mentioned again after Rory meets up with the Doctor. Also noticed that episode was by the new show runner.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The actual death of Rory part of that one (the Silurian 2-parter, right?) I'm fairly certain was written by Moffat, because it just has a completely different tone/feel to it than everything that proceeded it. This was when Moffat was firing on all cylinders writing-wise too, he was in a groove and everything he wrote seemed to hit.

Chibnall's biggest issue when writing for both RTD and Moffat was that he seemed to just ape whatever characteristics he felt they wanted from "their" type of Doctor Who - his early stuff for Moffat feels very much like a cargo-cult version of Rusty's old scripts without the emotional resonance (and balls-to-the-wall campy madness) that RTD could bring to them. His later stuff for Moffat felt like he was trying to get that slightly oddball feel with an undertone of sinisterness/depression undercutting it that Moffat could do quite well.

As I've said many times before, the only truly original work of his I've ever seen was Broadchurch, and the first season of that was utterly brilliant. Season 2 was definitely not, but I think part of that is down to I don't think he ever expected there to be a season 2 at all and he had to scramble to put something together when season 1 turned out to be a giant hit. We'll see how things work out, but he has said he has got a five year plan in mind for how he wants HIS Doctor Who to be, and so far he seems to be making all kinds of right choices.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Maybe, but dammit if I didn't start cheering when the Dalek's weapon system came on line

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just a note that the newest Inside No. 9 features the best Doctor Who companion.

That's right, Nicola "Liv Chenka" Walker. (apologies to evelyn)

You're welcome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not the worst aspect of the Silurian two-parter but it really bugs me that there are so few people involved in the drilling operation, especially when you compare it to Inferno or the original Silurian story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, just walked pasted a charity shop with the Classic Doctors, New Monsters vol.2 and one of the 3rd Doctor CD sets in the window. I’m really tempted to get them because they’re cheap and I haven’t heard them, but I don’t have anything that even plays CDs any more. :gbsmith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, just walked pasted a charity shop with the Classic Doctors, New Monsters vol.2 and one of the 3rd Doctor CD sets in the window. I’m really tempted to get them because they’re cheap and I haven’t heard them, but I don’t have anything that even plays CDs any more. :gbsmith:

Re: the third doctor, if it's Volume 2, get it. Two good stories, particularly the first.

If it's Volume 3, don't. Neither are worth your time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BSam posted:

Just a note that the newest Inside No. 9 features the best Doctor Who companion.

That's right, Nicola "Liv Chenka" Walker. (apologies to evelyn)

You're welcome.

I belive she prefers Nicola "The Last Train/Chalk" Walker.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not the worst aspect of the Silurian two-parter but it really bugs me that there are so few people involved in the drilling operation, especially when you compare it to Inferno or the original Silurian story.

It was the weekend skeleton crew.

Speaking of Moffat-era two parters, Rebel Flesh/Almost People is one of those stories that I've seen multiple times, yet can never remember what exactly happens. I forgot how hostile Amy was towards the Flesh Doctor, and the way the show continues to tease cracks in Amy and Rory's relationship is tiresome as hell.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My biggest problemw ith the Silurian two-parter is that it's a two-parter. It might have been a mediocre, forgettable one-parter if they had cut the fat.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

My biggest problemw ith the Silurian two-parter is that it's a two-parter. It might have been a mediocre, forgettable one-parter if they had cut the fat.

For a show built on multi part stories, the post 2005 run has a very bad track record in general when it comes to two parters. Empty Child/Doctor Dances is the only real unqualified success I can think of.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

remusclaw posted:

Empty Child/Doctor Dances is the only real unqualified success I can think of.

I'd add The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang to the list as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Silence in the Library? Depends how much you like River Song, I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The devil 2-parter was pretty good too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think River Song is the character in both of those episodes that made people question them when they came out initially. Library for the obvious reason that it was built around her character, and Pandorica having to do with that one Dalek being terrified of her. That said, I don't mind those eps, likely because I don't mind River Song.

I might have overstated things a bit.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 24, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The devil 2-parter was pretty good too.

The Impossible Planet is one of my favourite episodes for tone. It’s got this great sense of just how isolated the crew are, billions of miles from absolutely everything, all alone in the night. Murray Gold does a really good Firefly pastiche with his lonely cello score which helps sell it all. Plus it’s all capped with the very Lovecraftian unknown slowly creeping horror. Honestly it’s just aces. Shame about Part 2.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

River is hit or miss, but I really like her in the library two-parter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Library two-parter is really difficult to evaluate on review, imo. Part of its appeal is the a mystery of a person who knows everything about the Doctor, but whom he has never met. We get to watch her go through an weird, fatalistic, set of motions and sacrifice herself for no apparent good reason. For some reason she gets a fairly major character send-off. When I first watched that I found it really fascinating, but it's less so for a viewer who has watched the Moffat era and sees it as a viewer who is carrying all of the River Song baggage.

Other than the "Brains-Beauty" thing, the rest of the plot is pretty cool, and I like it. It's nowhere near as good as The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

World Enough and Time / The Doctor Falls is a pretty good two-parter, though it slipped a little when I re-watched it this Christmas.

It's too bad that The Almost People is already in two parts, because to treat that as one story and combine it with A Good Man Goes to War would be a loving perfect two-part episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

World Enough and Time/The Doctor’s End has the major problem for me that the Simms Master is just an obstinate arsehole, immediately shedding any of the more gentle side of him that Bill was living with for 10 years. He’s very punchable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New Torchwood release coming in April from Big Finish: Torchwood: Believe. Features the full TV Torchwood Team.

EDIT: Oh, and it has Arthur Darvill in it (not as Rory, tho)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 24, 2018

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Family of Blood two part episode is amazing and is probably David Tennant's best episodes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Family of Blood two part episode is amazing and is probably David Tennant's best episodes.

Oh yeah. Also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

The Impossible Planet is one of my favourite episodes for tone. It’s got this great sense of just how isolated the crew are, billions of miles from absolutely everything, all alone in the night. Murray Gold does a really good Firefly pastiche with his lonely cello score which helps sell it all. Plus it’s all capped with the very Lovecraftian unknown slowly creeping horror. Honestly it’s just aces. Shame about Part 2.

I love part two just for the look of sheer joy on Ten's face when the cavern is collapsing around him and he looks up to see the TARDIS.

• Locked thread