Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
A Fireseed in the hand is worth two in our pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Catch!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Spread your seed.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thing T. Thing, you jerk! :mad:

Have a fireseed.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
We never get to use these things, so lob a fireseed at it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Castle Death posted:

Snatching the seed from your tunic pocket, you hurl it at the plinth as hard as possible. There is a loud crack as the shell shatters, and a splash of bright flame engulfs the plinth. Soon the hand catches fire; it wriggles and squirms as the flames feed on its loathsome flesh and is soon obscured by a pall of acrid black smoke.

Healing: +1 EP (17/32).
Do we wait for the flames to die down, or just leave immediately?

We have two fireseeds remaining.

ShadowWraith
Mar 28, 2011
If we were going to bail, we probably shouldn't have wasted a fireseed on that thing. Wait to see if it's lootable.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait and loot

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Leave immediately! We’ve seen multiple counterintuitive obstacles in this maze already, I got a bad feeling this is another one.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Leave immediately! We’ve seen multiple counterintuitive obstacles in this maze already, I got a bad feeling this is another one.

Same, get out.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

achtungnight posted:

So what your saying is, it would be actually intuitive to leave?

Let's wait and see if you are right.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Wait and see...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Wait and loot
What loot would a hand have? A glove?

Castle Death posted:

As the flames die down and the smoke clears, you see the blackened hand lying at the base of the plinth. To your horror and amazement it begins to move, flexing its charred fingers jerkily. Open-mouthed, you stare in disbelief as it suddenly springs into the air and hovers above your head. Its writhing fingers stretch open as it plummets towards your skull.

Healing: +1 EP (18/32).

Suddenly you realize the horrific purpose of the hand. It is a predator, an evil sentient being that can only survive by consuming one form of nourishment—live human brain.

Diving and rolling, you avoid its initial attack, escaping with scratches to your scalp (lose 2 ENDURANCE points), but as it rises above you once more, you cannot help but fear that your life is soon to end. This creature is immune to Mindblast, but not Psi-surge in combat.

Endurance: 16/32.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 16
Rahkos: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -2

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 12
Rahkos: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 26

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 11
Rahkos: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 17

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 7
Rahkos: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 12

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 2
Rahkos: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 10

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 2
Rahkos: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 0

Castle Death posted:

The Rahkos lies motionless on the ground before you, but, in spite of the many blows you have dealt the creature, it bears no sign of having ever been involved in combat.

Healing: +1 EP (3/32).
Do we leave now or take a closer look at the hand?

All dice rolls are genuine. We escaped that one by the skin of our teeth.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get away from the hand NOW

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

achtungnight posted:

Get away from the hand NOW

We out

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Look at the hand. :downs:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Talk to the hand.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jedit posted:

Talk to the hand.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Look at the hand. :downs:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Put the hand on our face.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You want to turn your back on a monster that might not be dead? OK...

Castle Death posted:

A searing pain explodes behind your eyes as the hand clamps itself to your head. As the decaying fingers pierce your scalp, forcing their way through your skull, your vision turns red and your body shakes uncontrollably. The hideous claw burrows deeper, feeding on the only source of nourishment that can sustain its existence: living human brain.

Death Count: 9
This book: 2

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Or if we didn't do that...

Castle Death posted:

As you peer at the horrible hand, it suddenly leaps at your face. You scream with terror, instinctively lashing out to deflect its attack. You strike it hard and send it spinning towards the green pillars and the passage beyond. Just as it draws level with the pillars the hand explodes: it has spun straight into an invisible barrier of destructive energy that flows between the pillars. As the hand disintegrates into thousands of tiny fragments you feel elated that, at last, victory is yours.

Healing: +1 EP (4/32).

‘Good!’ booms the voice of Zahda as you enter the passage; ‘the cowards of Elzian have at last sent a warrior worthy of my maze.’

The words conjure up a picture of Lord Zahda seated on his golden throne, with the object of your quest, the Lorestone of Herdos, suspended above it. The image strengthens your resolve to survive this accursed maze and escape. If you can then find your way back to Zahda’s throne-hall, the success of your quest will be within your grasp.

You walk along the passage, your mind filled with the possible problems and perils you might have to overcome. One such problem looms into view as the passage takes a sharp turn.

Healing: +1 EP (5/32).

You enter a chamber where a tall bronze statue stands. You recognize its distinctive head-dress and robes immediately: it is a Zakhan, a ruler of the desert empire of Vassagonia. The statue looks most distressed: its arms are outstretched in a gesture of hopelessness, and the expression on its face is one of sorrow and despair. Beyond the statue, an oval-shaped door is set flush in the wall, but you discover that it is locked.

The mist grows brighter. Once more the skull appears and speaks, its voice as comforting as a raven’s croak:
    ‘Listen to the Zakhan,
    Ponder what you hear;
    Give the correct answer,
    For fear he sheds a tear.’
The skull disappears into the misty ceiling, and you watch amazed as the dull bronze lips of the statue begin to move. A harsh voice echoes from deep within its hollow metal body:

‘My daughter has many sisters, as many sisters as she has brothers, but each of her brothers has twice as many sisters as brothers. So answer me this, wise warrior, how many sons and daughters do I have?’

Healing: +1 EP (6/32).
Slightly more difficult than the last riddle we were asked, but a long way from the trickiest we may encounter. What's the answer?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:wtf: I picked the suicidal option on purpose and it was the right answer? I feel cheated

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The first equation excludes one daughter, the second excludes one son. That reduces it to:

Daughters = D
Sons = S

1) D-1 = S - > S+1 = D
2) D = 2(S-1) - > 2S-2 = D

Subtract 1 from 2 to give

S-3=0

So there are three sons, and thus four daughters.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Yeah, 3 sons and 4 daughters

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Jedit posted:

The first equation excludes one daughter, the second excludes one son. That reduces it to:

Daughters = D
Sons = S

1) D-1 = S - > S+1 = D
2) D = 2(S-1) - > 2S-2 = D

Subtract 1 from 2 to give

S-3=0

So there are three sons, and thus four daughters.

Math is not an opinion. 4 girls and 3 boys.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

In reply to your correct answer, the oval door emits a click and slowly swings open. You step through and descend a steep ramp to a long corridor whose walls are covered with what appear to be gigantic cocoons that stretch into the distance for as far as you can see. The oval door clicks shut but the clicking continues, like an echo, only growing steadily louder. In the gloomy corridor ahead you can see that something is moving. A huge worm-like creature with great black eyes and horny mandibles is slithering towards you, a purple froth bubbling from its mouth as it picks up your scent.

Healing: +1 EP (7/32).

You press yourself between two of the silky cocoons hanging from the wall and use your Magnakai skill of Invisibility to mask the heat and scent of your body. The hideous worm-like creature halts, its clicking mandibles snapping the air in frustration. You turn your head away and look straight into one of the cocoons. A chill runs down your spine, for the decaying remains of a female warrior’s face stare back at you from inside the web-like strands of the cocoon.

The sudden shock makes you draw breath sharply. Immediately, the worm-like thing slithers forward, propelled by its short, rubbery legs. You can only pray that it has not detected your hiding place.

Healing: +1 EP (8/32).

The creature launches itself at the cocoons, shearing them from the wall with its razor-sharp mandibles. The air is filled with fibrous shards and dust, and you no longer have a hiding place. You have no choice but to retreat along the corridor.

Healing: +1 EP (9/32).

Relentlessly the worm moves forward, forcing you back up the ramp towards the oval door. But there is no escape this way—you have no choice but to fight the repulsive creature. The monster is especially susceptible to psychic attack. If you choose to use Mindblast or Psi-surge during combat, double all ENDURANCE point losses sustained by the enemy.

Lone Wolf : COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 9
Oudagorg: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 17
Combat Ratio: 1

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf : COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 9
Oudagorg: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

Castle Death posted:

Your killing blow makes the Oudagorg twist back on itself, its head disappearing into the misty ceiling. There is a deafening crack as blue lightning engulfs its neck, crackling snake-like around its horrible body and filling the corridor with the smell of burning meat. The creature thrashes wildly for several minutes, and when its gruesome dance finally ends you see that the canopy of mist is no longer there. In the darkness above you see a deserted walkway and a metal observation platform.

Healing: +1 EP (10/32).
Do we want to climb the worm to get onto the platform, or continue along the corridor?

Invisibility had a 50/50 chance of working and we were unlucky.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We are a platform gamer, not a corridor gamer.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Climb the worm!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Ride Shai-Hulud to freedom.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Jump onto the platform. Someone play Mario music.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Let's platform our way out of this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jackard posted:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jackard posted:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Climb

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

As you pull yourself onto the cold iron platform, you see the maze spread out below you like the surface of a massive brain, each chamber a cell populated with perils created by the devilish imagination of Lord Zahda. A criss-cross of interconnecting walkways is suspended above the maze by gigantic chains that vanish into blackness. You hurry along the iron path towards a staircase that descends to an arch beyond the boundary wall of the maze. As you run through it, you can hear an alarm bell echoing in the vastness above: your escape has not gone unnoticed.

A vaulted corridor lies beyond the arch, which leads to a junction with two exits.

Healing: +1 EP (11/32).
Right or left?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:goleft:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug