Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

dk2m posted:

- How much of a difference does the performance pack add in the real world? I’ve also read that there’s a level 2 that’s out for 2018 but Fords build website doesn’t seem to have it. It seems legit, but not sure

- Are there any common issues on GTs? IE: head gskets, etc.

- This is a mid cycle refresh - does it make more sense to wait until the next gen to pull the trigger?

- The prices seem pretty high to me, how much wiggle room do Ford dealers typically give?

- This will end up being my daily and I live in the midwest. I’m not scared to drive it in the snow, but want a sanity check on that. Most likely would get the same set of Blizzak WS80s that’s on the WRX

- The MagneRide system seems really impressive from a technical point of view, but how effective is it? Is it recommended to upgrade to?

- The major difference is you get 3.73 gears in the back and the recaros are very nice, I wouldn't say the suspension upgrades are worth it though.

- Coyotes are pretty solid now, not sure about the newest iteration with the direct injection though.

- No

- I managed 5k under msrp on my car and I wasn't trying very hard.

- I run snows on my car all winter it's fine. Theres even a snow mode if you are scared(I just use track in the winter who cares)

- I've never been in a car with magnaride but there don't seem to be many complaints about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
- Are there any common issues on GTs? IE: head gskets, etc.

Mustangs are notorious for suddenly losing control and eating pedestrians on the sidewalk. (Especially at car events!)

Daily driving increases the Mustangs appetite to eat pedestrians by 100,000%

- The MagneRide system seems really impressive from a technical point of view, but how effective is it? Is it recommended to upgrade to?

Anything you can do to increase performance and/or comfort do it. Especially when daily driving.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Thanks everyone - Im gonna drive a few different versions of the 2018 and see what they’re like, but on paper, it seems like a no brainer.

I’m genuinely shocked that the common issues (barring the new engine design which probably remains to be seen) seems very benign. I can deal with rattles as long as it isn’t eating oil or deciding to poo poo out white smoke

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just make sure you get either the new orange or new crimson with the black accents.

Those are so rad, I’m glad the price went up so I don’t have to worry about trading my ‘16 for one.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Buhbuhj posted:

- The major difference is you get 3.73 gears in the back and the recaros are very nice, I wouldn't say the suspension upgrades are worth it though.

You don't get Recaros with the PP. You get 3.73's as mentioned, 19" black wheels w/ the AMAZING Pilot Spot 4S tires (I seriously love these, so much grip), big Brembo front brakes, and a bunch of suspension "tweaks" which probably don't amount to much. I like the wing too, but you can order it without.

And yeah as mentioned you can get deals. I got mine around $5k under sticker, $2k under invoice.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I got my 2016 GT Premium Sport Package basically at invoice without trying. It was a special order that someone walked away from and they listed it on the website at that price.

I've had it right at two years, and have had a few weird issues. The main strut bolt on the front passengar side was loose and caused a weird clunking sound when going over bumps. I also had a CEL for some minor valve thing, but I can't remember the details. Also the lumbar controls weren't working on the driver seat. While I'm on the subject, is the seat back supposed to be heated and cooled as well? I haven't been able to get a clear answer, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Other than that just the normal Ford rattles and squeaks.

I would love to have the MagneRide and the active exhaust, but since they got rid of the best color (Deep Impact Blue) I have to stick with what I have. It is still my favorite thing I have ever owned.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bandire posted:

I got my 2016 GT Premium Sport Package basically at invoice without trying. It was a special order that someone walked away from and they listed it on the website at that price.

I've had it right at two years, and have had a few weird issues. The main strut bolt on the front passengar side was loose and caused a weird clunking sound when going over bumps. I also had a CEL for some minor valve thing, but I can't remember the details. Also the lumbar controls weren't working on the driver seat. While I'm on the subject, is the seat back supposed to be heated and cooled as well? I haven't been able to get a clear answer, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Other than that just the normal Ford rattles and squeaks.

I would love to have the MagneRide and the active exhaust, but since they got rid of the best color (Deep Impact Blue) I have to stick with what I have. It is still my favorite thing I have ever owned.

I have a premium '16 ecoboost and my seat backs heat/cool. Sounds like yours is probably busted

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bandire posted:

The seat backs are supposed to be heated and cooled. I saw a thread somewhere that somebody was complaining of the same thing, and got it fixed under warranty.

I'm so glad I got active exhaust. The quiet start mode in the morning as great, so I don't have to sound like a dick and wake up my neighbor's 1 year old. In sport and track mode it sounds amazing. Being able to change it on the fly is great.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The leathers are supposed to be heated and cooled. But the cooling is mediocre at best. The heating works well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

dk2m posted:

Thanks everyone - Im gonna drive a few different versions of the 2018 and see what they’re like, but on paper, it seems like a no brainer.

I’m genuinely shocked that the common issues (barring the new engine design which probably remains to be seen) seems very benign. I can deal with rattles as long as it isn’t eating oil or deciding to poo poo out white smoke

I know this is the mustang thread and saw what you said about Camaros, but I would still have a drive in one when you cross shop. A 1LE if you can find one. They're insanely good.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Thanks guys. I had them look at it the last time it was in the shop, and they only fixed the lumbar thing and said everything else was fine. I had just assumed the cooling was poo poo since my wife's car is massively better, but the seat back is definitely not heating up.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

I know this is the mustang thread and saw what you said about Camaros, but I would still have a drive in one when you cross shop. A 1LE if you can find one. They're insanely good.

Yeah agreed, my only problem with the Camaro is the styling. It just looks...smooshed? Still, that’s on my list.

So I’m guessing I’ve been bad with the Perfomance Pack Level 2? It looks appealing, but maybe overkill for the street. I guess they’re going after the 1LE. Wider tires, stiffer dampers and an appearance package but it does include the MagneRide standard. I can’t find poo poo else about it other than press releases.

The Ford dealers Ive asked are all giving me blanks as well

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2017/10/mustang-gt-performance-pack-2.html

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Recaros are a separate package now? That sucks. Ford getting a little nuts with the packages.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Recaros are a separate package now? That sucks. Ford getting a little nuts with the packages.
Recaros have been separate since at least the 15s.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It does appear that way, Ive always seen them attached to every pp car I just figured they were part of it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

It does appear that way, Ive always seen them attached to every pp car I just figured they were part of it.
Some people want to keep the heating/cooling functions, even with the pp. 🤔

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ilkhan posted:

Some people want to keep the heating/cooling functions, even with the pp. 🤔

I am some people.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bandire posted:

I am some people.
Mine was a premium non-pp non-recaros, so me too.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So is the Coyote Gen3 available in crate form or what?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Looks like you can get the aluminator but not the newest iteration with direct injection yet.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 24, 2018

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

ilkhan posted:

The leathers are supposed to be heated and cooled. But the cooling is mediocre at best. The heating works well.

Agreed. Love my heated seats, but the cooler just makes me feel like I’m damp. Never use the cooler.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

When I left the dealer after buying mine I didn't know the seat cooler was turned on, and after a few minutes thought I sat in something wet after they washed it. Was hoping it'd be nice in the summer, but I guess it'll just feel damp

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That digital dash is so insanely cool.

drat. Can I pull out my 16 cluster and throw that in? No? poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is that shifter extension kit?:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/over-prepared-mustang/

I always thought it was kind of crazy how forward the shifter was in the New Edge.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

What is that shifter extension kit?:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/over-prepared-mustang/

I always thought it was kind of crazy how forward the shifter was in the New Edge.

I dont know what that shifter is but the whole package is amazing!!!!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Wait, how'd they let him race without a full roll cage?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's an autocross car. Stuff like that, rallyx, track days, and some entry level time trial stuff is generally fine to do with just a helmet.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
long shot question..... Can the 14" Wilwood brakes with 6 piston calipers clear 18" FR500 replica wheels? if so, is there any links or photos of it to help me verify?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
So, Adam Brunson at Tune+ (the ninja that custom tunes my 2016 Ecoboost) made a big post today about how they found something interesting in the fuel system that's likely contributing to the ecoboom problems.

quote:

#1 - Lowside Fuel Pressure Sensor

This is something I have discovered most recently. Luckily it didn't come as result of an engine failure that is why I was able to capture it and use datalogging to come to a solution for the issue we were having.

The issue I found was actually on two different vehicles. A 600whp Focus RS build we are doing here in house, and Keith Stilson's Ecoboost Mustang that has just recently installed our Port Injection System for E85. We were having an issue of the car not getting consistent fueling and was running lean, in the case of his car. In the case of the Focus RS here at the shop we weren't getting ANY fuel pressure at all once we rolled into boost and the car was going dead lean instantly. I troubleshot the car here with a few "harder" options and gave Keith the task of testing a few things on his side to see if we can figure this out.

On the Focus RS I replaced the injector driver for our port injection kit, the injectors in our kit, double checked the wiring, replaced the high pressure fuel pump, replaced the direct injection rail w/ pressure sensor, the factory direct injection injectors, and even tested fuel pressure from the tank. All did not solve the issue. I had Keith replace his in tank pump, and do a bunch of test with the port injector controller, NO SOLUTION.

Well just a few hours ago we did a test that was just on a whim. I was on my way out the door to drop off some parts for powdercoating and I told Keith "Unplug the lowside fuel pressure sensor and go log it". I suspected that the ECU would see that the pressure sensor was not connected and switch over to inferring the pressure in the lowside system based on the high pressure fuel pump's pressure. That is exactly what it did, and his car was cured. Fuel for days!

I have included a few datalogs before and after. The only difference is unplugging the fuel pressure sensor. I also included a picture of the high pressure side showing that it is opening the spill valve and dropping pressure because it knows something is wrong. The fact that the high pressure fuel pump is not generating any pressure means there is no fuel going to the engine even though there is boost filling the cylinders.

It's obvious that lean conditions will blow an engine from detonation, melt a piston, melt plugs, etc. However here is why this issue SPECIFICALLY rings a bell for me with engine failures. Most engine failures happen when just starting to accelerate, the prime area for LSPI (Low-Speed Preignition). I know you all have heard that term before and everyone has their opinion about it. The OEM's strategy for preventing Superknock, LSPI, Mega-knock, etc is to pull timing (Tip-In compensation) and add fuel. Well, if there is no fuel, their strategy to prevent LSPI is not going to be effective. So the chances of LSPI are now GREATER than they were before for the poor GDI engine.

Why I think this is an oversight by Ford. When these cars experienced these issues there has been NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS. Not one. However the HPFP is going into some sort of preventative mode to open the spill valve and produce no pressure. If the HPFP knows there is a problem how come there isn't a code, and also why isn't there something in the code to switch to inferred pressure and operate safely but trigger a code? It should be like this:

- If lowside fuel pressure error = -10% or more (Fuel pressure desired - actual = fuel pressure error) revert to inferred pressure. If fuel rail pressure error is still signficantly low - trigger LIMP mode, reduce power, trigger check engine light.

tl;dr: lowside fuel pressure sensors are loving up, the car isn't setting a MIL, and when boost happens the high pressure side starts dumping fuel thanks to faulty readings from the low side. Have some data from someone else who captured this behavior while logging:

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

The highlighted column is actual fuel rail pressure, and it goes to poo poo while at WOT spinning 4500-5000rpm and getting blasted with 23psi of boost. Guy's loving lucky it didn't grenade. If you look at the Lowside Actual FP column you can see it's stuck giving an incorrect reading, so instead of the ECU ignoring it (as it would if the sensor was unplugged) it's trusting the incorrect reading.

After reading this, I decided to check my trouble codes even though I don't have any lights on. P018C, fuel pressure sensor B circuit low. Changed the monitor layout on my AccessPort to show lowside desired and actual pressures - desired is 70-80psi but actual reading is 0.0. Fantastic. I'm lucky that at least until now I'm in the "safer" of the two failure modes, but now I've got to track down that drat sensor and try swapping it out. Factory techs were chiming in saying they were seeing it regularly on cars that weren't modified at all. I'm glad they stumbled upon this issue and put out a warning.

Bottom line: between this and the head gasket issues, anyone with an Ecoboost should be on guard.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man way to make me feel better about going from an eco to a GT.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Pony in Italy, part 7 or so:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

H2SO4 posted:

So, Adam Brunson at Tune+

Bottom line: between this and the head gasket issues, anyone with an Ecoboost should be on guard.

I bought an Ecoboost because junkyard engines are $800 on ebay. Going to lookup your guy though to get me closer to needing one.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H2SO4 posted:

I have a 2016 ecoboost with no mods- can you put this post in English for someone who doesn't speak gear-head? Basically just want to know what the symptoms of this are so I can spot the issue if it happens to me.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of warning. If you car seems to lose a bunch of power or stumbles while in boost that's not a good sign. Also, have your trouble codes read even if you don't have a check engine light. Air/fuel ratio gauge might also give you a bit of warning if you see it suddenly spike during boost.

Elephanthead posted:

I bought an Ecoboost because junkyard engines are $800 on ebay. Going to lookup your guy though to get me closer to needing one.

Here's his website. I've been super happy with the results I've seen and I've been tuned since around 3000 miles.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 10, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

got a link to that post? i have a friend who should read it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

H2SO4 posted:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of warning. If you car seems to lose a bunch of power or stumbles while in boost that's not a good sign. Also, have your trouble codes read even if you don't have a check engine light. Air/fuel ratio gauge might also give you a bit of warning if you see it suddenly spike during boost.

Here's his website. I've been super happy with the results I've seen and I've been tuned since around 3000 miles.

Thanks, the E85 looks tasty.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I've been with Adam for like 12k miles now. There's a lot of hate online for him because he's super reactionary about the ecoboost poo poo and half the time he's been straight up wrong, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with his tuning. His average tunes are very safe and if you request he can go balls out and get some silly numbers.

The fuel thing looks like a decent lead but time will tell if it's another fluke or an actual thing thats blowing up cars. I think the headgasket issue is overblown, it's mainly from head lift which is usually from detonation but theres a 100 reasons why that can happen and its not common enough to even worry about.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

RFC2324 posted:

got a link to that post? i have a friend who should read it

This is the post, but you might have to be a member of the Ecoboost Mustang Technical group to see it.

Buhbuhj posted:

I think the headgasket issue is overblown, it's mainly from head lift which is usually from detonation but theres a 100 reasons why that can happen and its not common enough to even worry about.

I agree with you here, I feel like there are shortcomings with the design but it shouldn't be something that'd be a factor until you start really cranking things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

H2SO4 posted:

This is the post, but you might have to be a member of the Ecoboost Mustang Technical group to see it.

Appears you do need to be, but it also appears that said friend is, so it works :)